Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I'm installing it now. are they still giving away the trinket? I was going to pick this up again anyways but I guess I'll reinstall now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

diaf

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

terrorist ambulance posted:

I'm installing it now. are they still giving away the trinket? I was going to pick this up again anyways but I guess I'll reinstall now

it lasts for the entire day, so yes

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I got the game and it's pretty fun. I threw a grenade and blew up 5 rats that all tumbled off in random directions and got an achievement for it. I'm playing the dwarf right now.

Do you only get access to two weapons at a time? I have a blue great axe and a crossbow but I've heard he gets a few other types of guns as well.

Is there a skill tree? I bumped up to level 2 but I'm not sure what it means. Also I got that lichebone pendant but I'm not sure of its significance. Is it normal for bots to snatch up loot? I've been finding a lot of empty chests.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
OK, so the question is: does hitting a rat for zero damage with a non-shield weapon proc Regrowth? Does it proc poison flask trinket?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

SuperKlaus posted:

OK, so the question is: does hitting a rat for zero damage with a non-shield weapon proc Regrowth? Does it proc poison flask trinket?

No and Maybe. The shield bashes' non-damaging attacks likely count as a push rather than an actual attack, which is why neither would trigger for them.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 25, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Panfilo posted:

Do you only get access to two weapons at a time? I have a blue great axe and a crossbow but I've heard he gets a few other types of guns as well.

Is there a skill tree? I bumped up to level 2 but I'm not sure what it means. Also I got that lichebone pendant but I'm not sure of its significance. Is it normal for bots to snatch up loot? I've been finding a lot of empty chests.

Every character has access to a variety of weapons in melee and ranged. Dwarf's ranged options include that crossbow, a rifle, a shotgun, and a set of fire-slinging pistols.

There's no skill tree but leveling up gives you resources, progresses you to unlocking stuff within the inn so you can build and improve weapons, etc.

The Lichbone Pendant is one of the best trinkets in the game and hard to get otherwise. Keep it forever. When you find hidden grimoires in some maps, you get a guarantee to role a success in the loot dice thing at the end, so grims are cool. But they lower the max health of everyone on the team. The pendant cuts that health penalty by a decent amount.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Panfilo posted:

I got the game and it's pretty fun. I threw a grenade and blew up 5 rats that all tumbled off in random directions and got an achievement for it. I'm playing the dwarf right now.

As you earn loot you will open up new weapons (and each weapon with randomize traits). At most, you can have one melee and one ranged weapon equipped from your stockpile of weapons at one time but can change them out at the start of every level. You also have three trinket slots (at max) that offer some minor but semi-interesting passive bonuses.

There is no skill tree. Levels are largely meaningless. When you gain a level you unlock a random weapon; eventually (I want to say somewhere in the mid 30's) those become random green weapons but that's as far as it goes. Levels also unlock a few features (trinket slots, the shrine) but have no direct influence on the game.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lunethex posted:

No and Maybe. The shield bashes' non-damaging attacks likely count as a push rather than an actual attack, which is why neither would trigger for them.

drat, that would explain why Regrowth Charged on the red dwarfhammer has been unimpressive (as others have observed). I just couldn't be sure. And I was really hoping the poison flask would add some random kills to those mighty hammer swings.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SuperKlaus posted:

drat, that would explain why Regrowth Charged on the red dwarfhammer has been unimpressive (as others have observed). I just couldn't be sure. And I was really hoping the poison flask would add some random kills to those mighty hammer swings.

It's also why Regrowth Normal is so amazing on the pick; it hits like 5 rats. All for damage.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

SuperKlaus posted:

The Poison Flask could be ok to shore up a Killing Blow hammer/mace & shield to help against Stormvermin more but that's really far fetched if you ask me.

^The above story is something I read on another forum.

Also I should read better: Regrowth (Charged) in general is a dead weight perk and thus any red with that should be disregarded despite it having higher chances of proccing for being a red. The poison flask could proc on those non-damaging hits though but I wouldn't rely on it.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 25, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

ok so I finally sat down and decided to pay attention to the traits on my weapons and also break down/fuse any stuff I had no use for.

Thanks to the handful of nightmare runs I got in last week when I finally got to play for half an hour, Kruber now has an orange Reiksguard Mace (Regrowth/Scav/Heroic Killing Blow) and Sienna has an orange Ashwrought Crusher (Killing Blow/Endurance/Backstabbery).

Right now, other than that, after breaking down and fusing a bunch of whites, greens and useless blues I have

Kruber: blue Nuln Caliver (Mastercrafted/Rupture) and blue Master Engineer Repeater (Mastercrafted/Targeteer)
Sienna: blue Enraged Ashqy Staff (Regrowth/Hail of Doom)
Bardin: blue Azril Drakkhar Thrundt Drakefire (Regrowth/Hail of Doom), a lovely green axe and a green grudgeraker
Elfbitch: a green Trueflight and white sword/dagger because I haven't used her at all
Saltzpyre: Green Gault Flambard 2h (Bloodlust), green crossbow (Ammo Holder) and a green repeater pistol (extra capacity).

Essentially what I'm saying is I need more oranges.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
For what it's worth, the weapon overview playlist that Lune and I are doing is going to be getting an update a day next week with the possible exception of Friday, so if you're curious which traits look good on various weapons you can give those a look - Lune puts some suggestions for ideal traits in for each weapon, which I generally agree with. The other thing to note is that Bloodlust/Perfect Balance/DevBlow is possible on every single melee weapon out there and it's never not a good combo. Possibly not the BEST, with how DevBlow got nerfed, but it's never not good.

For reference, Saltzpyre and Bardin have been done in the playlist so far, Kruber is getting done next, and then Kerillian. By new year's eve we'll have only Sienna left.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Great. I'll start watching through the videos later and hopefully with the increase in my gear quality and its traits I'll be a bit better at contributing sooner, rather than later. Now I just need to start stockpiling ore for those rerolls.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

devblow still feels to be worth it with shields, i think. i can pretty consistently stun stormvermin it seems like.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Dev Blow's most important quirk: interrupting Stormvermin cleaves. Other than that if you get good enough you can pass it up.

I have to stress that those videos only really show how weapons play in a variety of situations and the environments are heavily sanitized for the sake of testing and demonstration, but ideal traits for each weapon and useful stats or nuances are covered.

There's a massive :spergin: spreadsheet someone made about all the weapons and poo poo in this game if you're interested.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h3GnI6sIS77oXnCzE05k7KTkOoGJ3UezeVi24miBBoM/edit#gid=2022003636

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 25, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Johnny Joestar posted:

devblow still feels to be worth it with shields, i think. i can pretty consistently stun stormvermin it seems like.

devblow is not really worth it if the weapon has level 1 push on it, but shields have level 3 and clear out a huge area. one of the better things you can put on a shield tbh. to be clear, the way it got nerfed is that there are 4 levels of push, increasing in intensity from level 1 (a light shove) to level 4 (rats fly backward, fall flat on their asses, and have to take over two full seconds to catch their breath and get back to their feet). devblow used to set all push level to 3, unless it already had 3 (shield weapons), in which case it became 4. now it simply gives you +1 push level, which is more fair and makes more low sense but also means you can't have a rapier that pushes like a non-devblow shield.

e: and yeah, the situations shown in the videos are not terribly 'real' but we will be doing some of that after the weapons are all covered to introduce some common team play tactics and language

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 25, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I've got Devblow on axe/shield with bloodlust and pommel and I'd probably need an absolute embarrassment of orange rocks before I even think of messing with that. It's also a perfect 10% on Bloodlust and 38/40 on pommel.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

As I get the final clips for Sienna's overview I recommend all you Wizard players enjoy the Fireball staff while it lasts because that broken skullstaff is getting nerfed straight back to the hell that spawned it as soon as they launch the next patch.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i think it might fly under the radar, i still see pubs rolling mostly with conflag/bolt. it is total bullshit good tho.

meanwhile every single elf pub ive come across has got the dual sword / hagbane combo, except the glaive/trueshot holdouts

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I wonder what the explanation behind the dual swords is

Conflag is legit good though, really powerful, in the right spot.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Today's charm is the Hedgewizard one. It shares 20% of a heal.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lunethex posted:

I wonder what the explanation behind the dual swords is

They did improve them a lot; they hit almost infinite rats with the light attacks now and the heavy strikes actually damage stormvermin pretty well now.

Like, they're good and fun, just not strictly better than the sword and dagger.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

It's been a good couple of days for trinket giveaways. Hoping for the 60% globadier one tomorrow.

Merry Ratmas everyone!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Mother gently caress I'm halfway through doing the contract for the hedge wizard charm

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Lunethex posted:

As I get the final clips for Sienna's overview I recommend all you Wizard players enjoy the Fireball staff while it lasts because that broken skullstaff is getting nerfed straight back to the hell that spawned it as soon as they launch the next patch.

it's been kind of weird lately because pubbies can't seem to decide if it's really good now or if it's complete dogshit

which doesn't sound much different than normal, really, but it's funny

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Lunethex posted:

It's the only wizard weapon that feels any good to me. if it gets killed then I'll just go back to never playing the wizard I guess.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Dave Angel posted:

It's been a good couple of days for trinket giveaways. Hoping for the 60% globadier one tomorrow.

Merry Ratmas everyone!

Today is the last day.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Today is the last day.

Hell of a last two days, though.

Horned Rat bless us, every one.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So it sounds like I got into the game at a good time then, since I got the lichebone pendant and hedge wizard charm.

Anything special happen when you get 3/3 tomes in a level? So if you finish with a tome, you get a better chance of getting a good item right?

The only thing I find frustrating is when I slog through an entire level and die to the last wave; feels like you very comparatively little to show for the effort up to that point.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Tome dice have a 2/3 chance of showing a face, versus 1/3 for regular dice and 1/2 dice you find in the level They're all just better chances at loot in exchange for taking away your item slots and health.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 25, 2016

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Can I get a steam group invite?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/bonds0097/

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Can trinkets that do the same thing stack? Trinkets like the hedgewizard for example.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

No

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Would like a steam group invite as well: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Eeep

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

There is no drakegun to be spawned but it's always been in the files. Detailed image for in the weapon selection there at any rate :v:

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 25, 2016

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Where are the Bright Wizard, Empire Soldier, Way Watcher and Witch Hunter in this loading screen?

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
What's some good traits on the orange great ax?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I just rolled between two orange falchions and the red one. Eat my rear end video game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
So, the key quest from a few days ago was for an orange Charm of the Hedge Wizard.... and today's free trinket was an orange Charm of the Hedge Wizard. All those wasted keys :(

• Locked thread