Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Chickenwalker posted:

That quest made me want to play BH just so I could have Blizz as a companion full-time. Shame you only get him relatively late in the game.

That quest made me want to have a posse of heavily armed Jawas with me at every moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Aphrodite posted:

Play a female Bounty Hunter because you get to become nobility.

Play a male BH so you get to kill the nobility

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Killing non contracts is shameful.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Except the ~1000000000000000000000000 trash mobs

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

Aphrodite posted:

Killing non contracts is shameful.

Murder all NPCs, including every possible mandalorian.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Except the ~1000000000000000000000000 trash mobs

Not canon.

No name, no value.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

M_Sinistrari posted:

That quest made me want to have a posse of heavily armed Jawas with me at every moment.

Still waiting on my Ortolan companion...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Aphrodite posted:

Not canon.

No name, no value.

Hahaha I wish all the mobs had randomly generated names. Instead of plowing through 15 White Fang members, you're killing Dave, Tom, Bill, etc

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Still waiting on my Ortolan companion...

If he has an assault cannon, I'm for it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

While we're wishing for things let mercs use rifles pls

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

M_Sinistrari posted:

If he has an assault cannon, I'm for it.

Rusk sitting there in the Odessan Hangar with a giant rear end assault cannon. I bring him out, and he can only use sniper rifles.
Bullshit.

Only K'Krohl is haulin' the big gun and I have dozens in the inventory.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

While we're wishing for things let mercs use rifles pls

Let Vanguards use rifles plz (from the front end)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

So I never noticed before, but the beast and droid companion customizations aren't bind on pickup. Since I have years worth of purple Jawa scrap I bought an Akk Dog customization and listed it for 2 million credits. Sold almost instantly.

Figured I'd share this tip for people who have purple scrap and are low on cash. Of course it's likely that they will eventually add the grade 10 mats to the Jawa vendors but for now the only use for purple scrap is buying grade 6 droid/beast companion gifts.

neurotic
Apr 27, 2013

Medullah posted:

So I never noticed before, but the beast and droid companion customizations aren't bind on pickup. Since I have years worth of purple Jawa scrap I bought an Akk Dog customization and listed it for 2 million credits. Sold almost instantly.

Figured I'd share this tip for people who have purple scrap and are low on cash. Of course it's likely that they will eventually add the grade 10 mats to the Jawa vendors but for now the only use for purple scrap is buying grade 6 droid/beast companion gifts.

That is a really good tip. Also, if you still have Cartel Market Certificates (used to come out of cartel packs), I have found that purchasing female Twi'lek dancers from the decorations vendor on the Fleet can net you around $1MM credits (on the Harbinger). Males don't sell easily, but when they do they sell for a bit more (so if you can wait a week or 2, go with the male Twi'leks. The Twi'lek sex worker market is alive and well.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Zelmel posted:

Murder all NPCs, including every possible mandalorian.

This reminds me of a running joke my friends and I have. If we're running around and somebody goes out of their way to wipe out a group of weak or non-hostile NPCs, intentionally or not, we all start yelling "No WITNESSES!"

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This thread makes me so happy it still exists, I loved this game when it came out and remembere the forum it got on its own :3. I've been feeling like jumping in and replaying a story again, as I haven't played since like the first raid came out and legacy stuff was just a rumor (if that even exists).

Trying to go through KOTOR 2 now though, never finished it but getting kind of bored of the combat and the graphics are so bad. Without major spoilers does anything in KOTOR 2 play into SWTOR? I "beat" SWTOR with like 3 different campaigns when it first came out but I don't remember much of the story. Obviously I know what KOTOR1 was about just im like half way through KOTOR 2 and would rather play a more modern game.

Thanks goons

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Empress Brosephine posted:

This thread makes me so happy it still exists, I loved this game when it came out and remembere the forum it got on its own :3.
Thanks goons

Hahahaha I remember at launch there were different threads for all Advanced Classes, a thread for PvP, a thread for raiding, and then just a general thread.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
rip arus and starfleet dental

somedamnthing
Mar 29, 2003

sup

This thread makes me so happy it still exists, I loved this game when it came out and remembere the forum it got on its own :3. I've been feeling like jumping in and replaying a story again, as I haven't played since like the first raid came out and legacy stuff was just a rumor (if that even exists).

Trying to go through KOTOR 2 now though, never finished it but getting kind of bored of the combat and the graphics are so bad. Without major spoilers does anything in KOTOR 2 play into SWTOR? I "beat" SWTOR with like 3 different campaigns when it first came out but I don't remember much of the story. Obviously I know what KOTOR1 was about just im like half way through KOTOR 2 and would rather play a more modern game.

Thanks goons

As someone who barely remembers playing the KOTORs, as long as you basically remember the HK droid being charmingly evil, and the name 'Revan' and what he was all about, you can play SWTOR with a sperg-free conscience. There are other references (like the planet Taris, for example), but nothing that will lose you, story-wise.

neurotic
Apr 27, 2013

woops forgot to edit this post, too much xmas drank.

neurotic
Apr 27, 2013

neurotic posted:

Lore wise, there is a flashpoint that involves Revan and the Exile. It is pretty bittersweet coming out of KOTOR 2. Canonically the exile from KOTOR 2 is female. If you are into lore, do not ignore the flashpoint quests. You can actually solo most of the flashpoints in the game (it will actually have a "Solo mode" as an option).

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

somedamnthing posted:

As someone who barely remembers playing the KOTORs, as long as you basically remember the HK droid being charmingly evil, and the name 'Revan' and what he was all about, you can play SWTOR with a sperg-free conscience. There are other references (like the planet Taris, for example), but nothing that will lose you, story-wise.

KOTOR 2 in particular has been pretty much written out of the continuity, because I guess Bioware got pissed that Obsidion wrote a better story (they forgot the ending though).

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's more that it takes a giant smug deconstructive poo poo all over the concepts and themes of the setting, better written or not.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Asimo posted:

It's more that it takes a giant smug deconstructive poo poo all over the concepts and themes of the setting, better written or not.

Avellone's crap is always "look how clever I am I don't have to play by the rules of your setting." People always make a big deal about his writing but it kinda sucks.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thanks guys apprecaite it

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Asimo posted:

Star Wars needs a bit of a deconstruction now and then.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Sure.

I just can't exactly blame Bioware/Lucasarts for not exactly sticking close to the plot afterwards though.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Asimo posted:

Sure.

I just can't exactly blame Bioware/Lucasarts for not exactly sticking close to the plot afterwards though.

Yeah, they curb stomped one of the NJO novels the same way for suggesting that the whole Light/Dark thing might be a bit of a false dichotomy.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Also, by Bioware actually bringing in the 'True Sith' empire, I really think that they stuck pretty close to the idea of what Sith Lords seemed to be suggesting at the end with what happened to Revan. Tie in a cameo by the Exile, and I never really get why people say that Bioware has completely ignored Sith Lords. All in all, I think it's a pretty good continuation of what was setup earlier.

Hell, you might even say that the whole 'Dark vs. Light' concept that's going on in Galactic Command is what Kreia was talking about when she said that the next war was going to be about belief :)

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Baron von der Loon posted:

Also, by Bioware actually bringing in the 'True Sith' empire, I really think that they stuck pretty close to the idea of what Sith Lords seemed to be suggesting at the end with what happened to Revan. Tie in a cameo by the Exile, and I never really get why people say that Bioware has completely ignored Sith Lords. All in all, I think it's a pretty good continuation of what was setup earlier.

Hell, you might even say that the whole 'Dark vs. Light' concept that's going on in Galactic Command is what Kreia was talking about when she said that the next war was going to be about belief :)

That's one of several things that annoys me about KOTOR. Revan and Malak become Sith in order to get the Republic ready to fight... the REAL Sith. If the trilogy had been better planned you could have set up Zakuul as the real big bad all along, but instead we got this pissweak parody of the original trilogy Empire.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Yeah, they curb stomped one of the NJO novels the same way for suggesting that the whole Light/Dark thing might be a bit of a false dichotomy.

The Scions of Zakuul do the same. They don't believe in the light/dark sides of the force, and utilize it based on faith and how faith in it empowers them.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
having not beat KOTOR 2 yet can someone spoil what you guys mean by pissing on the dichotomy of the force? right now it's just been "mysterious space lady is teaching you and revan is missing while you eradicate the jedi" even 20 hours in

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I'm working off of memory, but I didn't think KOTOR2 diverged significantly from Star Wars tropes. It has one character that waxes philosophical about the whole thing, but the ruminations don't change that the bad guys are Evil with a capital E and the only meaningful course of action for the Chosen Hero is to beat them with a glowbat until they stop moving.

The one part I remember being significantly different than any other Star Wars story is Kreia's take on metaphysics / her idea of how the Force works. Though, again, her opinions about the Force don't actually matter to the scope of the story, it's just the musings of a force sensitive nihilist in between traditional glowbat murder.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

having not beat KOTOR 2 yet can someone spoil what you guys mean by pissing on the dichotomy of the force? right now it's just been "mysterious space lady is teaching you and revan is missing while you eradicate the jedi" even 20 hours in

That Light and Dark don't exist.

Star Wars is supposed to be black and white, good and evil, easily understood by children. That's why they viciously crush anything that suggests depth. Even if Lucas himself wrote it.

People thought the prophecy of the chosen one added nuance? Snuff that poo poo out.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
lol if you aren't a gray jedi that doesn't deal in absolutes like both chucklefuck factions.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gray Jedi don't exist.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Aphrodite posted:

Gray Jedi don't exist.

This. I mean, hell, since the person who asked the questions wants spoilers:

The ha-ha funny twist of it all is the Kreia is a Sith Lord. Full stop. Despite her protestations, despite her philosophizing about the nature of the Force, she was and is the fallen Jedi, master of Sith Lords, Darth Traya herself.

The exploration of what goes into being a Light Sider or Dark Sider is interesting, but Kreia is never above the system. She is yet another Sith Lord trying to corrupt yet another Jedi.

somedamnthing
Mar 29, 2003

sup

Aphrodite posted:

Gray Jedi don't exist.

*pushes up glasses*
*starts pasting wookiepedia extended universe articles*
*mercifully dies of heart attack*

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e; o wait wrong jedi lady

hmm thats a interesting twist but yeah jeesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somedamnthing
Mar 29, 2003

sup
Also, I, too, have put a shitload of effort into Harb. If we have four Goons who want to get on and start a Squad of some kind, we should get on that poo poo.

• Locked thread