Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

ALFbrot posted:

I hope that this movie does gangbusters and it starts a whole cinematic universe and they do CW tv shows and animated series and LEGO Blade Runner: The Game: The Movie and Happy Meal toys of old Deckard and Blade Runner, Jr: The College Years. I hope all of this with all of my heart, just because it would make you upset.

I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.

I'll be upset when they remake Incendies in 25 years time as a romantic comedy of errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Wizchine posted:

Poor Paul Verhoeven - I guess this means a Starship Troopers remake is in the works?

They're actually making it, and and it's going to be a straight up fascist propaganda piece like the book!
Yeah I know it's speculative fiction and Heinlein wasn't a fascist, let's not go through that every time it's mentioned

Paul Verhoeven Slams ‘Starship Troopers’ Remake, Says It’ll Be a Fascist Update Perfect for a Trump Presidency

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Proposition Joe posted:

Saw a special preview for Dunkirk before Rogue One tonight and it was WAAAAAY better at selling the movie than the trailer does. I'm hoping they put that online at some point.
Yessssss I saw it too. It wasn't even until after trying to look it up on youtube that I found out it was a special 5-minute preview for IMAX. Best part was the roaring that came on the end before it cut to the title shot.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I just saw this. Somebody edited together the 46 shots that were in the trailers but not in the released versiob of Rogue One. Well I think its kind of interesting anyway.

http://vashivisuals.com/rogue-one-45-shots-not-in-the-final-film/

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
They gotta have some material for the extended editions man, or else they wont sell as well

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ben Mendelsohn is so great in that film, and those trailers. :allears:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Ummm...

Like, currently, the infrastructure of Detroit is literally falling out the bottom. They can't fund a proper police force, 'stand-your-ground' themed armed militias are popping up all over, the murder rate is ten times the national average, and the poverty rate nearly three times the national average. 'Innovation industry' corporations and venture capitalists are circling the hollowed out housing market and industrial carcass like vultures, waiting for public institutions to die so they can sweep in and make a killing off of for-profit solutions. Libraries are selling public art to for-profit museums in Texas. And Donald is president.

Being a young person watching Robocop now must be like watching The Candidate was when I was young. The satire's gone.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

feedmyleg posted:

Being a young person watching Robocop now must be like watching The Candidate was when I was young. The satire's gone.

That was my thought.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

feedmyleg posted:

What's The Candidate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puCZrpCZPdw

Oh.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/alienanthology/status/812659121811902464

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

What?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Prometheus was also a Christmas movie.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I cant begin to picture in my mind how things are going to be picked up after the events of Prometheus.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I hope there are Colonial Marines in this one. I love me some Colonial Marines.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It has begun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0VW6sg50Pk

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Looks off the chain. Need to re-watch Prometheus.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Danny McBride is in this? gently caress yeah

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Peeping Tom xenomorph gonna mess EVERYBODY up on that ship.

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx
So that forest planet they're on is the Engineer homeworld?

Edit: Holy gently caress the Alien thread is full of spoilers. Stay away from it

A Deacon fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 25, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

A Deacon posted:

So that forest planet they're on is the Engineer homeworld?

Official plot synopsis:

quote:

Bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy, the crew of the colony ship Covenant find what they believe to be an uncharted paradise. What the crew discover is a dark, dangerous world, whose sole inhabitant is the "synthetic" David (Michael Fassbender), survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Danny McBride is in this? gently caress yeah

So is James Franco apparently, but in a smaller role. I didn't know Billy Crudup was in this. poo poo is looks dope.

[edit]

Scrubbing through the trailer, the Covenant crew still uses M4s with Eotech holosights? Where the pulse rifles at man? Quick google search tells me Covenant takes place 10 years after Prometheus, and Prometheus took place in 2093.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 25, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I like that David is back. I don't like that they dumped the Prometheus protagonist

I guess she went back to her home planet

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Zzulu posted:

I like that David is back. I don't like that they dumped the Prometheus protagonist

I guess she went back to her home planet

Noomi Rapace is in the movie, and Fassbender pulls double duty as not only David, but the Covenant android, Walter.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

teagone posted:

So is James Franco apparently, but in a smaller role. I didn't know Billy Crudup was in this. poo poo is looks dope.

[edit]

Scrubbing through the trailer, the Covenant crew still uses M4s with Eotech holosights? Where the pulse rifles at man? Quick google search tells me Covenant takes place 10 years after Prometheus, and Prometheus took place in 2093.

I didn't get the impression these dudes were full on Military like the guys from Aliens. They're probably mercenaries/explorers for the company

[edit] yeah, they're weyland yutani...also another david is leading them :stare:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I like the ships insignia. Nothing good has ever happened to people who peeked inside the Ark of the Covenant.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm glad they realized the best part of Prometheus was Fassbender so now they gave him two roles and characters in the new movie

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Well that was underwhelming, already showing who are going to die takes a lot out of the excitement. Yeah, I know most if not all of them will eventually die, but showing it in detail was kind of weak and it made this look like a cheap slasher movie, and and not a good one like Alien was. Oh well.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
Ya this looks bad. At least with the awesome Prometheus trailers, it felt like they were doing something new, even if the movie ended up sucking.
This looks like its rehashing old Alien imagery (if that's the Engineer homeworld, it's kinda lame from a visual standpoint), while keeping the not-as-good modern aesthetics from Prometheus. If they are just going to pander and "give the fans what they want" by rehashing old material, you might as well go all the way and keep the great design and look from the original entries in the series, and not this modern stuff that kind of looks like every other post 2000s sci-fi movie.

And that shower scene is just lame, don't turn Alien into a slasher franchise (see Avp: Requiem....or better yet don't).

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
That trailer was bad. I'm sure the movie will be okay but it felt like the studio was scared people wouldn't realize it was an Alien movie. Also that music, christ.

Apes-A-Poppin
Dec 3, 2015

Scott should've just let Blomkamp direct the new Alien thing.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Blomkamp is trash though

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There's a comic book about Hicks and Newt if you really want to read such things.

Also a bad video game. Id rather they stay dead for a little while longer.

Apes-A-Poppin
Dec 3, 2015

Zzulu posted:

Blomkamp is trash though

If we compare this to the other resurrected Ridley Scott film, yeah he's no Villeneuve. Still I would be more interested in seeing trash man's take on Alien than a man's who by all rights should be enjoying his retirement by now.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Hicks loving died, my dudes. The bones of his intensely perforated skull flechetted through Newt.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

There's a comic book about Hicks and Newt if you really want to read such things.

Also a bad video game. Id rather they stay dead for a little while longer.

Hicks and Newt and Ripley made it home and their worst troubles thereafter were keeping newt's grades up in school.

This trailer didnt do it for me, it's just another "aliens kill/infect everyone" story and the slow pop song meme is deader than disco.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

That trailer was really underwhelming.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Apes-A-Poppin posted:

If we compare this to the other resurrected Ridley Scott film, yeah he's no Villeneuve. Still I would be more interested in seeing trash man's take on Alien than a man's who by all rights should be enjoying his retirement by now.

Scott will die while directing and that is the only way he wants to go.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am glad I'm not the only one underwhelmed by the Covenant trailer. That really did not look promising and felt all over the place with trying to show was the film was about. What is its connection to Prometheus? Or is there no connection whatsoever to Prometheus even though David is back?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Gotta say, this looks really generic compared to Prometheus.

Also, I miss Noomi.

Zzulu posted:

Blomkamp is trash though

On this we agree.

I said come in! posted:

I am glad I'm not the only one underwhelmed by the Covenant trailer. That really did not look promising and felt all over the place with trying to show was the film was about. What is its connection to Prometheus? Or is there no connection whatsoever to Prometheus even though David is back?

Probably as minimal as possible. They've been trying to walk away from Prometheus for a while now, which is too bad because it had an interesting direction, and it's original trailer gave me loving chills https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sftuxbvGwiU

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ceiling xeno is watching you gently caress.

• Locked thread