Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Mystery Prize posted:

Flex queue is weird and dumb. Why/how did I just get a Silver 4 adc on my team when I'm currently Plat 3? The dude was unranked last season too, so it's not like his MMR is really high.

Flex queue is halfway between normals and ranked. If you don't want to be at your absolute A-game but also don't want to play with ADC Heimerdinger it's cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Work Friend Keven posted:

Nice, unlike the posters who wont stop saying jokes, this joke has the funny dog meme at the end so you know when it's safe to laugh. Thank You.

Your perception of what is funny may differ from others, Beavis. I know deep down you're capable of sometimes posting like a Normal Person!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Keven's posts are a treasure

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

kingcobweb posted:

Keven's posts are a treasure

There's nothing wrong with discussion in earnest instead of talking like you're weird twitter given form all the time

Orv
May 4, 2011

Chaos reigns.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Mystery Prize posted:

Flex queue is weird and dumb. Why/how did I just get a Silver 4 adc on my team when I'm currently Plat 3? The dude was unranked last season too, so it's not like his MMR is really high.

Yeah, it's the worst. I'm not even going to finish my promos, the games are beyond pointless.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
As a support I will claw and scrape and cheat and do everything to get first blood gold. The faster I can get my Sightstone the safer the lane will be and the easier to keep my retarded ADC alive.

They can have the rest of the kills but a support above the gold curve is much more valuable to a team just off the sheer efficiency of support items.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

*the auto that will get the kill is flying through the air, the jungler flies in to screen and kills the man*
rabidsquid: oh man, i really wanted that kill dude
kingcobweb: i wasnt sure if you were going to get it or not
*jim from the office face*

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Sexpansion posted:

Yeah, it's the worst. I'm not even going to finish my promos, the games are beyond pointless.

Riot decided that getting into a game in 45 seconds, in a position you didn't want, against people two leagues above you, is better than having to wait 2-3 min to play a lane you want against people at your skill level, so here we are.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

*the auto that will get the kill is flying through the air, the jungler flies in to screen and kills the man*
rabidsquid: oh man, i really wanted that kill dude
kingcobweb: i wasnt sure if you were going to get it or not
*jim from the office face*

If I knew about last hitting I wouldn't be playing support

stump collector
May 28, 2007
halpert face

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Aerox posted:

Riot decided that getting into a game in 45 seconds, in a position you didn't want, against people two leagues above you, is better than having to wait 2-3 min to play a lane you want against people at your skill level, so here we are.

i'd take the 45 seconds option since almost time i hit queue i'm waiting about 10-25 minutes before the game is loaded

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Supports who "give" their carries kills also "give" the enemy team a chance to escape. If your teammates can't beat a loving mid-flight banana they didn't deserve it anyway.

Kill. Secure.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
faster than a flying banana

*squish*

stump collector
May 28, 2007
the only bad tiem to last hit a champion is when it is extremely obvious that all of their cooldowns have been used AND their summoners are used AND no team mates are near. if ANYONE on the map is missing and you don't know cooldowns, absolutely secure that loving kill.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
also try your hardest to deny every penta, its funny as hell

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Holy poo poo I am on the worst losing streak I've been on and it's awful. I can't even make it to the 4 minute mark before every lane is simultaneously losing.
The war on Christmas is real.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

LegalPad posted:

Holy poo poo I am on the worst losing streak I've been on and it's awful. I can't even make it to the 4 minute mark before every lane is simultaneously losing.
The war on Christmas is real.

are you on na? post your name and i'll help you win a few games 8)

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Anyone have any good Sona tips for an idiot trying to claw his way out of b5?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Learn to cs while not dying in lane. Big farm lead will let you climb without even worrying about strategy, you'll just beat people up with a bag full of coins.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Che Delilas posted:

Learn to cs while not dying in lane. Big farm lead will let you climb without even worrying about strategy, you'll just beat people up with a bag full of coins.

Also do this with Cashplank, the Hedge Fund Manager

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

The Dregs posted:

Use Q infused Power Chords on the ADC when they go in to last hit back row minions. Don't be too aggressive against supports with lockdowns like leona or braum or blitz.

Be as aggressive or passive as your ADC indicates. Going hard in the paint while your Ashe is gingerly last hitting is a good way to get yourself and them on tilt.

Ward aggressively through the entire game, not just during laning phase. Help your jungle secure dragons during mid and barons during late with good warding.

Post a replay for more specific stuff :)

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Play Zyra instead

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Schiavona posted:

Play Zyra instead

At Bronze 5 it is almost a guarantee this guys problem is not champ selection, but mechanics and game vision. Playing Zyra adds too much extra to the laning phase. Sona is a good champ because her mechanics are simple, with the only thing you have to keep up with is power chords. Bad Zyra play leads to over pushed lanes and pissed off ADCs.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Keep in mind that you have no hard crowd control pre-6, so be VERY aware of both ganks and enemies clearly setting up for initiation, because shes the worst support for slow reacting to enemies nestling up to you.

Keep in mind that your heal also gives a shield (unless they nerfed that) and your Q gives your carry an empowered attack as well. So it helps you stay keen on what your initiators and carries plan on doing.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

The Dregs posted:

Leona is much better for climbing out of low elo even though she has a very different playstyle than Sona does. With Leona, you've got a lot of Crowd Control and tankiness, and your ultimate is usually the "go go go" button for your team as long as they don't have the reaction time of a sloth.

If you're stuck on Sona, you just need to learn how to trade. Charge up your Q, then Auto -> Q -> Auto and chunk people out, then back up. You can probably catch a lot of people off guard with her burst. Buy a sightstone early, and keep the side of the lane warded. Like someone else said, a replay will help a lot. You can still sign up for replay.gg and link us direct replays.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RealFoxy posted:

Leona is much better for climbing out of low elo even though she has a very different playstyle than Sona does. With Leona, you've got a lot of Crowd Control and tankiness, and your ultimate is usually the "go go go" button for your team as long as they don't have the reaction time of a sloth.

The counterpoint to this is that Leona also requires solid game knowledge about when an appropriate time to engage is, especially during laning phase, because it's real easy to see what looks like a golden opportunity, leap for it, and find yourself alone in the middle of 4 enemies.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I wanna say one thing about Bronze, as someone who has spent a lot of time in Bronze playing support, is that most players at that level spend too much time worrying about their lane phase mechanics.

Every Bronze game starts out like a typical League game at any level, except the last hitting and trades are dumber. However, once that first tower goes down, it turns into a clown fiesta.

Bronze games devolve into ARAM around the mid game, with people occasionally over extending and getting caught in the outer lanes. Objective control is non-existent. As a support, you can mitigate this poo poo fest by keeping tabs on dragon/baron timers and warding appropriately. Also, you can keep your dumbass teammate who is split pushing past the river alive by warding that side of the map to give them some vision to maybe escape the 4 people coming to gank them.

Force teamfights with your ult if the odds look in your favor. A lot of Bronze ADCs will wander off on their own and if you see theirs missing while your whole team is there, mash that Ult and lets loving go.

Vermain posted:

The counterpoint to this is that Leona also requires solid game knowledge about when an appropriate time to engage is, especially during laning phase, because it's real easy to see what looks like a golden opportunity, leap for it, and find yourself alone in the middle of 4 enemies.

Yea, I think play someone else is generally bad advice. At that level, you can play any character and win as long as they are in the proper role. If he is comfortable with Sona, he can spend more time worrying about what is happening in the game and less on what buttons do what.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Sona is by far the easiest champ to rise out of bronze IMO. Go thunderlords and full AP. Keep an eye on your minions and get ready for the enemy adc to step forward to last hit, auto > q >auto him and laugh as you do 1/3rd of his maximum HP.

stump collector posted:

are you on na? post your name and i'll help you win a few games 8)

Thanks! but the suffering suits me. I will just ride it out

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
there is a feature of the game a lot of low level players have never heard of

it's called the minimap, and it's in the bottom right corner of the screen

it tells you what is happening in the game in other places than where you are right now

look at it, from time to time, if you feel like it

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Yeah I definitely don't get how ranked flex works, at all. Most of my team last game was high gold/low plat, and they had a duo of a diamond 2 lee and a Diamond 1 anivia, who completely shitstomped us into the ground.

Sidenote: I'm really loving tired of playing against Lee. Getting no counterplay'd 100 > 0 is incredibly tilting.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
the best way to level up from bronze to silver is to ping like an rear end in a top hat. your laner is gone for a second? ping missing on NOT YOUR LANE but THE OTHER LANES, so your teammates cant explain not seeing your pings.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Mystery Prize posted:

Yeah I definitely don't get how ranked flex works, at all. Most of my team last game was high gold/low plat, and they had a duo of a diamond 2 lee and a Diamond 1 anivia, who completely shitstomped us into the ground.

Sidenote: I'm really loving tired of playing against Lee. Getting no counterplay'd 100 > 0 is incredibly tilting.

My mmr is in mid silver on flex queue and I ended up getting a mix of golds and a bronze V on my team vs a plat, a smattering of silvers on the other team. It is a complete clown fiesta.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Thanks guys. I am glad to see I have been doing a lot of that already. I do have trouble keeping track of the power chords tho

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

the best way to level up from bronze to silver is to ping like an rear end in a top hat. your laner is gone for a second? ping missing on NOT YOUR LANE but THE OTHER LANES, so your teammates cant explain not seeing your pings.

I got so tired of allies ignoring pings that now I make a trail of pings from the lane the champion is missing from in the direction they are moving.

It still doesn't work.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
OK, I won the first three placement games so far. Sona is good for us idiots. I still forget to load up power chords and just mash buttons though.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 25, 2016

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
double post

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 25, 2016

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

The Dregs posted:

OK, I won the first three placement games so far. Sona is good for us idiots. I still forget to load up power chords and just mash buttons though.

:911: god bless you, as this is what sona is meant for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
https://streamable.com/f2o0o

• Locked thread