Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, going through the series over-time has subbed is a pretty good starter package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Merry Christmas toku thread! May your karate bugmen and Spandex superheroes bring you joy.

Ex-Aid: RIP Kiriya, press F to pay respects.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

You should punch yourself in the dick

just for that, i'm throwing in their shinkenger subs, too

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Why did Kiriya have to die? He had the best outfit out of all of them!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Pyroi posted:

Why did Kiriya have to die? He had the best outfit out of all of them!

Story-wise, he knew too much.

Toy-wise, the kids wanna buy the sword guy or the gun guy, so goodbye bike man.

It's a shame but I can't moan too much about it considering there's still a lot to go and they're dropping more characters on us. It's not great, I felt they could have done more with him, but at the end of the day it is what it is.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
He died doing what he loved, being cryptic.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pictures of the Kyuranger cast have surfaced. It seems that Red, Green, Yellow, Orange and Silver are human while the others are in-suit characters (though kind of like the Gokaigers apparently none of them are actually from Earth):

Also here are the civilian names of our new rangers:

Red: Lucky
Blue: Garu
Green: Hami
Black: Champ
Yellow: Spada
Orange: Stinger
Gold: Balance
Silver: Rei Naga
Pink: Raptor 283

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 26, 2016

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I am okay with these inhuman characters because they basically come from the Monster Of The Week division of the prop department and not the yiffsuit division.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
100% here for buff guy in tiny anime girl mask

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Starting my vacations, I went on and finished with Ultraman Nexus. I definitely enjoyed it a lot, it was a great show...until the last episode. It uhh...it clearly shows how drat rushed they were due to the amount of cut episodes they had and I have my fair share of criticism towards it.

Ishibori being the big bad came entirely out of left field. He went from basically a background prop that talked ocasionally but we were meant to think was important to laughing evilly to the point one had to seriously wonder how no one else realized he was evil. It was a ridiculous turn that wasn't even remotely properly foreshadowed. In general, his character feels like a complete waste, because the very few moments he had to himself were genuinely good and having moments to properly setup his eventual turn would've helped the finale a lot.

Nagi becoming Ultraman was painfully obvious but at the same time really terribly done. She gets one transformation where she does something stupid, gets caught, has to be saved by Komon and then the light passes to him. That's it. That's all of Nagi's Ultraman career. After having been extremely competent the entire series. It feels insulting. I know she was meant to have a 12 or so episode arc as Ultraman, and it genuinely annoys me that didn't happen, because she goddamn deserved it. Himeya was too traumatized and Ren was a force of good, having someone who had her fair share of darkness to fight against would've been drat great, but she doesn't get to do that and instead she gets beaten by it. Lame. I did think it was completely fitting that Komon fails to get her to wake up with nice stuff but succeeds by shouting at her to get a hold of herself though, that's very in-character.

Komon vs Dark Zagi was pretty cool!...Except I had no reason to care about Zagi. Everything was his doing, cool, but he still had no personality or motivation. He just kind of appeared at the end. Having a bit more of him and a bit less of possessed humans or the Unseen Hand would've helped a lot. I guess he's to blame for everything, so that's meant to tell us how he is? It's like playing FFVIII all over again with Ultimecia. At least his evil Ultra form was something I could take seriously, that's a big step forward after Faust's clown look.

Talking about hard to take seriously, Komon's final Ultraman form looked genuinely great but those things on his back were a terrible prop. They constantly moved. Really should've fixed those a bit more, but I guess it adds to the charm overall. The fight proper was loving great though, and I loved seeing everyone recover their memories and that becoming Komon's power. The epilogue was also really nice, showing how the world now has Beasts attacking but they know about it and can live with it, with a properly-built Night Raiders team.

Overall, Nexus was a really good show and I enjoyed it a lot, but I can't help but want to watch the full version that wasn't screwed over by executives putting it in the wrong timeslot.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 26, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So yeah, with Nexus

Ishibori being the main villain is actually foreshadowed heavily super early on. It wasn't last minute, though it does APPEAR so. Like, when you see Nagi's nightmares of the Beast that killed her parents? The humanoid figure with the spikes growing out of its back? That is Ishibori, as in that is his actor. You can tell on rewatches because you actually know to LOOK at it, and you can tell he has the same hair and build. One of the times you get an almost clear look at his face and its also, in retrospect, clearly Ishibori. He also does a lot of subtle poo poo to set up Komon and Nagi through out. His whole personality was lost though because he was meant to be the main threat of the last ten episodes and, well, poo poo went sideways.

He was meant to be operating as Zagi for the last ten episodes, acting as Nagi's Mephisto, until the final episode where he reabsorbed the powers of Mephisto and Faust and became Ultraman Dark Lucifer. That was when Komon was meant to take the powers and become Noa, who has a history in the show stretching back to the original series. Concept art for Dark Lucifer, and some of the monsters Nagi was meant to fight, is floating around, but it's mostly really bitter because it's a lot of what could have been stuff.

If it wasn't for it getting hosed over, Nexus would be one of the all time great Toku series, regardless of franchise. Sadly, it gets screwed hard by the final episode. One thing I feel like I need to make clear as well, because it's a bit unclear- the only survivor of the whole bloodbath of main characters that was up in the air was Ren. The rest, Jun, the other Night Raider, the Mephistos, all died and were included in the finale purely as a nod to their characters. Which is fitting. Jun's death is one of the best main hero deaths in all of Toku in my opinion, and the fact that they don't go back on it is fantastic.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
so Ex-AID.

I get the feeling this show is about to go Ninininger where I'm just watching it because I started it and it's just trash. Seriously, why the gently caress do you kill the only character actually able to stand on his own two feet and be a presence in scenes?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'd give Ex-Aid four more episodes if you're thinking about dumping it. They've been really drawing poo poo out to fill time lately.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Craptacular! posted:

I'd give Ex-Aid four more episodes if you're thinking about dumping it. They've been really drawing poo poo out to fill time lately.

oh I wasn't gonna dump it. I didn't even dump Ninninger.

I just don't think it's gonna be good.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Ex-Aid is good.

They're drawing out time around this point in Gaim as well, I presume this happens a bunch in Kamen Rider shows where they're waiting to get to the next toy.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This is my first Kamen Rider series and I'm wondering if (series long-term spoiler) there's always a gazillion upgrade forms like have been announced for this one.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

This is my first Kamen Rider series and I'm wondering if (series long-term spoiler) there's always a gazillion upgrade forms like have been announced for this one.

It's gotten worse in recent years, particularly starting with Double, but form changes have always been part of the franchise.

The original Kamen Rider has three different costumes across his initial series. Nigo has three as well. More main Riders than not have some kind of form change, either permanent or temporary.

But up until Double, the worst of it was Kuuga, which had a very logical process to why he had multiple forms and what they were. otherwise, the most a Rider would have would be the primary form and a final form, for most of the Heisei era.

Double is when the dam broke and everyone got a million forms forever.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Craptacular! posted:

this is about the same as Ghost. It's about par for the course, the fact there's 5 different riders makes it worse. They'll stop getting new forms around episode 15 for like 10-12 episodes and then the number will slow down drastically.

At least it didi n Ghost. The fact there's SO many Riders makes it uncertain. Gaim didn't have quite so many forms for people who weren't Kota.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Stallion Cabana posted:

so Ex-AID.

I get the feeling this show is about to go Ninininger where I'm just watching it because I started it and it's just trash. Seriously, why the gently caress do you kill the only character actually able to stand on his own two feet and be a presence in scenes?

In regards to this, Lazer will probably get an extra life or something in like 5 episodes. Which will really suck the dramatic tension out of potentially dying in a battle but it's a video game Kamen Rider. It's bound to happen.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Ask Me For Warez posted:

In regards to this, Lazer will probably get an extra life or something in like 5 episodes. Which will really suck the dramatic tension out of potentially dying in a battle but it's a video game Kamen Rider. It's bound to happen.

I wouldn't bet on it. He got the flowers all cast members leaving the set get. He's not coming back except maybe for a V-cinema.

That episode was amazing by the by and if EX-AID keeps this up it's going to cement itself as one of my all-time favourites.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I wouldn't bet on it. He got the flowers all cast members leaving the set get. He's not coming back except maybe for a V-cinema.

That episode was amazing by the by and if EX-AID keeps this up it's going to cement itself as one of my all-time favourites.

I'm glad that my brain isn't apparently broken, because I read a couple posts up and was baffled--like, what? This show is getting Gaim-level good, it just needs to pace itself better with the toys and actually stick the landing.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Mister Olympus posted:

I'm glad that my brain isn't apparently broken, because I read a couple posts up and was baffled--like, what? This show is getting Gaim-level good, it just needs to pace itself better with the toys and actually stick the landing.

That's kind of what compelled me to post. I like what they've done so far, I like the characters because they're all built onto solid foundations that they can now grow on for the rest of the series to overcome their issues and so forth (we hope!). We've got an absolutely reprehensible villain you can really get behind wanting to see destroyed while still having some intrigue behind their actions and some measure of weird warped motive that's no doubt more than meets the initial showing. The mysteries so far have been very straightforward and they managed to make the "WHO'S THAT GUY?!" mystery not overstay its welcome. The fights have been fun and have been making use of the silly effects and odd power-sets gifted to the Riders pretty effectively. It's all been very internally consistent too which I enjoy. I honestly feel like this show has done a better job of managing its toy barrage than Drive and Ghost did, which especially in Drive's case was just a lot of Belt-san introducing a car and in Ghost's case sometimes felt like an instruction manual for the toys.

To me, the latest episode was great because it did some fun stuff, it seemed to set up some stuff for Taiga who quite frankly would otherwise struggle for character development as a loner type so at the very least it seems like they have an idea of what they're going to be doing with him without dragging him back into CR, and the end hit a really strong emotional chord so good on them there too.

I feel like this show is 100% going to be a love or loathe thing. What they've just done, and on Christmas Day of all things, was very gutsy and has made sure the audience won't get into any sort of comfort zone with the format. By that same token I can very much understand why it would turn a lot of people right off.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Burkion posted:

Double is when the dam broke and everyone got a million forms forever.

I'd say Den-O was more the tipping point than Double.
Double's pretty straightforward--three base forms, upgrade, ultimate form. The only real question mark is because he's got the two halves that swap individually.

Den-O has Plat, the four base forms, Wing, Climax, Super Climax, Liner, and a zoo of fun movie-only forms. Before then, everything was mostly contained, and after that...well, everyone had a whole bunch of alternate forms.
Special shout-out to OOO for having more forms than they could actually show in the show.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I fell off during early drive. What KR and Sentai should I watch next to catch up? Are any of Drive, Ninninger, Ghost, Zyuohger,, or Ex-Aid skippable?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

TerminusEst13 posted:

I'd say Den-O was more the tipping point than Double.
Double's pretty straightforward--three base forms, upgrade, ultimate form. The only real question mark is because he's got the two halves that swap individually.

Den-O has Plat, the four base forms, Wing, Climax, Super Climax, Liner, and a zoo of fun movie-only forms. Before then, everything was mostly contained, and after that...well, everyone had a whole bunch of alternate forms.
Special shout-out to OOO for having more forms than they could actually show in the show.

Fang/Joker was barely an upgrade considering how woefully little it was used.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

RBX posted:

I fell off during early drive. What KR and Sentai should I watch next to catch up? Are any of Drive, Ninninger, Ghost, Zyuohger,, or Ex-Aid skippable?

Don't watch Ninninger or Ghost. Watch Drive and Zyuohger. Ex-Aid...seems to be pretty divisive, but I'm enjoying it, even if I think killing off Kiriya was a bad move.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

RBX posted:

Ninninger is near-universally agreed to be completely terrible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
drive starts kinda bland, but eventually it starts getting better and better and never stops until the show does.

ghost isn't all bad, but later on it becomes an extended wet fart that will destroy any good will you built up from the earlier parts. overall, it is probably the second worst of the recent shows after wizard.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

SpazmasterX posted:

Fang/Joker was barely an upgrade considering how woefully little it was used.

I don't disagree with this but FangJoker was more of a utility upgrade. It allowed Phillip to defend his own body until Xtreme made that a moot point. I guess it was supposed to be a higher power level than CycloneJoker but that wasn't the question. It wasn't used because Xtreme completely obviated it in both purpose (because it takes care of Phillip's body) and power level and utility. Xtreme was actually kind of boring!

Also Fang was super cool.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Go-Buster is one of the good ones, right? I got it ready to watch on a rainy day.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I didn't like Gobuster. But nearly everybody I talked to about it loves it to death, so take my opinion with a grain of salt and give it the usual ten-episode run to see if it's clicked for you.

I ended up just going back to Dekaranger, so if Gobuster doesn't click for you then you might wanna try that as an alternative.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Drive turned out a lot better than people expected it to be.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It has some weak eps and some people think that the post-Christmas part of the show was down to retool, but I liked it all through a lot.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Go-Buster is one of the good ones, right? I got it ready to watch on a rainy day.

Go-Busters is one of my favorites. Enter is a fantastic bad guy and there are some great fight scenes.

Some great robot fights too.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Gobus is very excellent.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Go-Busters is really good and I still have the Morphin' Brace calling out in my head at times, telling me IT'S MORPHIN' TIME and several Engrish phrases.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Do yu have several pairs of sunglasses to throw away at dramatic times?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Do yu have several pairs of sunglasses to throw away at dramatic times?

I really wished they kept that as a running gag for more than five episodes. GoBusters is great, even if it ends halfway through and had to retool a little to continue. I wish I had all of the morpher SFX in good quality for my phone.

Drive can be likened to a car's engine. it starts of cold and in first gear, but as the engine revs and starts to heat up, soon, you're in fifth (maybe sixth!) gear and flying to the end with all pistons firing and roaring across the finish line.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I don't think I got Drive's ending. It felt stuck between "we only wanted to live in peace without bothering anyone" and "we wanted to destroy all humans but it wasn't our fault."

It feels like I should do something with that and the recent finale of the Jojo Part 4 anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i just finished gaim last night and was there honestly any point in having parallel universes

• Locked thread