Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Got my brother Dominion: Prosperity for Christmas. I know the official rule is Colony/Platinum if 50% Prosperity, are there any other houserules for when to use them?

I always thought the official rule is N*10% chance, where N is the number of Prosperity cards in the kingdom. Or whenever you pick the kingdom cards by drawing them from the deck with the different background, it the first one is from Prosperity, you add Colony and Platinum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

IIRC the usual way of checking is to shuffle the randomizers for each kingdom card you're using and pick one, if it's from Prosperity you add the Colonies and Platinums.

Same thing for Dark Age and the Ruins replacing your starting Estates.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So a dude on reddit was giving away unplayed games, and I'm told I'm getting a copy or RoboRally in foil :D. Mechs vs Minions is fun, and I like games where people get screwed over (G Trucker, Steam, Keyflower), so I expect it to be a lot of fun.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

taser rates posted:

Earth Reborn is right up your alley. Awesome tactical miniature 2p game designed by Christophe Boelinger, the same guy that designed Dungeon Twister. You can somewhat feel its DNA in there, but it's very much its own beast.

It also has pretty much endless replay ability through random generation campaigns. I really should dust it off again.

It's a great game.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Merry krimbus thread! :greatgift: Here's the first Weekly AFfO Solo Challenge! I'm still phone posting, so apologies if this is stupidly formatted. Also I'm just winging the little backstory, so, yeah :sax:

I'm thinking of setting up a shared Google Docs Excel sheet for the leaderboard; for now just post your scores here and I'll compile them in the future!

Scenario 1: All Out War!

A state of chaos has erupted in your Viking village! It turns out that the most recent mead that your clan is known for, and uses for almost all trade, was sabotaged. The delicious, golden drink was brewed to be... NON-ALCOHOLIC!!! Every other clan is now out to get you! You must establish your dominance with a formidable navy, and escape to Iceland where your non-alcoholic blunder can become water under the bridge.

In this scenario your weapons deck, and mountain strips are setup normally. Twenty occupation cards have been selected to makeup your draw deck, and you have a choice between two starting occupations. Use the long game(7 turns) home board side. During setup, replace your starting snare card with a longsword. You will also start the game with a longship. Place a Viking of an unused colour next to the raiding/pillaging/plundering action spaces. Take three Vikings of the last unused colour, and place one each on the Overseas Trading actions, and one on the Purchase Special Tiles action. Everything else is setup per the normal rules.

Starting Occupations
Raider 136C
OR
Catapulter 89A

There are two goals that must be completed by the scoring phase, and two action caveats. The Vikings of your two unused colours will help to remind you of the action caveats.

GOALS
1. You must explore Iceland.
2. You must end the game with four longships.

ACTION CAVEATS
1. The other clans are infuriated with you, and subsequently will not trade with you, nor allow you to purchase goods from them! You cannot use any of the actions requiring a Knarr. You can still purchase them, explore with them and emigrate them if you so desire, but remember goal #2!
2. You must raid, pillage, or plunder at least once per turn.

Below is your occupation deck. On BGG there are two possible submissions for final scores, which I'll adhere to as well. A blind challenge, where you only reveal your occupation cards as you go along, and an open challenge, where you are free to look at(but not rearrange or modify!) all the available occupation cards in your draw deck.

OCCUPATION DECK
1. Quartermaster 81C
2. Helmsman 12A
3. Ship Architect 46B
4. Sword Fighter 90C
5. Miner 22A
6. Weapon Supplier 68A
7. Beach Raider 180C
8. Lone Wolf 135A
9. Captain 16C
10. Loot Hunter 139C
11. Sponsor 184C
12. Weapons Warden 166B
13. Wharf Owner 61C
14. Lance Bearer 133B
15. Ore Boatman 9A
16. Barbarian 158A
17. Weapons Supplier 32A
18. Warmonger 106B
19. Fighter 18C
20. Arms Dealer 56A

Credit for the formatting of this goes to GAF Blizzard over on the BGG forums. Hope y'all have fun!

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 25, 2016

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Got my brother Dominion: Prosperity for Christmas. I know the official rule is Colony/Platinum if 50% Prosperity, are there any other houserules for when to use them?

I personally pull out Colonies and Platinum if a kingdom has at least two six+ cost cards in it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Christmas Bounty

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

deadwing posted:

I personally pull out Colonies and Platinum if a kingdom has at least two six+ cost cards in it.

I go by: if the first card randomized is from Prosperity, then Colonies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Countblanc posted:

Christmas Bounty

Have you played The Gallerist before? If not, you're in for a treat once you figure out what's going on.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I haven't, I'm quite excited! Probably not going to dig into it until after the new year though.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I'm gonna play sushi go party with my family today! And maybe codenames pictures.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
The Gallerist is great.
Lacerda has become one of my favorite designers. Still hoping CO2 comes back at some point.

I got two games this Christmas, Myrmes and Inca Empire. I haven't played either one before, which may not be that surprising since they're both kind of under the radar (especially Inca Empire). So I'm pretty excited to try them, but that probably won't happen before the new year for me either.
And I got a small cabinet that I can store some games that won't fit into any of my shelves (like The Gallerist :v:) in.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Johnny Truant posted:

Merry krimbus thread! :greatgift: Here's the first Weekly AFfO Solo Challenge! I'm still phone posting, so apologies if this is stupidly formatted. Also I'm just winging the little backstory, so, yeah :sax:

I'm thinking of setting up a shared Google Docs Excel sheet for the leaderboard; for now just post your scores here and I'll compile them in the future!

Scenario 1: All Out War!

117 Blind!

Strategy was catapulter, first turn longship, raid to get the rock bonus on the home board, and then catapult the poo poo out of everything!

Might do a non-blind one next.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
I got The Colonists for christmas. The game looks really daunting. How complete of a game is playing only eras 1-2?

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
I got machi koro, patchwork and codenames for christmas.

We also played lots of casual games.

great hits:
sushi go
abluxxen
carcassonne

family liked them ok:
Machi Koro
Port Royal
Coup

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Regarding the use of Platinums and Colonies, Prosperity is also the only set which contains Kingdom Card with a cost of 7 (except Inheritance from Adventures, but that's one use anyway.) Obviously, without these card, hitting 7 exactly sucks, but I've always felt that was a part of the game. So, what's the design reason for the inclusion of those cards? Maybe they need to fill that space at 7 because the game isn't fun when there is nothing to buy in two slots (7 and 10)? Or even if they aren't out, hitting 7 exactly becomes more rare? It's an interesting question.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
AquaSphere already got its rear end booted out of the shelf for Automobile. I also got Navegador, long live Mac.

played a 5p game of Orleans with all the promo buildings and the upgrade kit (no expansions yet though) -- long live wood too.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I think that's still the consensus. Lots of neat ideas, poor execution and an experience that swings too quickly as new boxes are opened and milestones come up.

Currently I'm playing it and enjoying it a lot. But I get all the critiques given and agree with them... Just liking it in spite of them.

Phone posting and can go into more detail on not Christmas morning if you want, but the one key thing I'll say is do not play this with 5 players. 3-4 should be your max.

Hmm fair enough. My group doesn't handle a shitload of confusing interwoven rules all that well (learning how to play Game of Thrones took half a day, we played one game and shelved it). It'll stay on my 'it might get cheap' list for the time being then.

Got Ticket to Ride today though (and Santa vs Jesus which was... a game). Happy with that.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Parents got me Paths of Glory, girlfriend got me Secret Hitler.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Family really loves codenames. Everyone's second language is English so it's not really a barrier.

Team leader: dragon 2
*deliberation*
Me: fire
*TL puts opposing team color on card*
Me: what?!?
Cousin, on my team: I told you it wasn't fire! How can it be fire? What if it's a water dragon or earth dragon like in DBZ???
Turns out it was scale/sky

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

Parents got me Paths of Glory, girlfriend got me Secret Hitler.

Thinking about Paths of Glory although I want to start at Washington's War and track the progression of CDGs.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I got Falling Sky this morning. It's too big and complex for my family, but I'll see if I can get a solo game in, and break it out with my gaming group when I go back.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, it finally happened to me. I got Exploding Kittens.

I also got Scythe and Dixit, so I'm very pumped about that.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I'm considering adding a dungeon crawler to my collection. Knowing nothing about them, i can tell it's a rather big genre, so is there a general breakdown of the subgenres? Ive heard of Descent, Arcadia quest, Catacombs, and Mage Knight, but they all seem like pretty different games.

Having done a little reading Arcadia Quest seems the most appealing out of the ones that are out. Gloomhaven seems to have a ton of hype behind it, but it's hard to tell how it compares to a game like Arcadia quest on the spectrum of things.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

unpronounceable posted:

I got Falling Sky this morning. It's too big and complex for my family, but I'll see if I can get a solo game in, and break it out with my gaming group when I go back.

For your first solo game, try playing all the sides yourself rather than using the bots. You'll learn faster and the game will be much shorter.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Descent if you want a more normal dungeon crawl with tons of expansions and content. Arcadia Quest if you want a pvp brawler with monsters and objectives as well.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

How is Hegemonic? It looks kinda like Stellaris.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

sector_corrector posted:

You are unclean. Please quarantine yourself with haste lest the sickness spread.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CommonShore posted:

117 Blind!

Strategy was catapulter, first turn longship, raid to get the rock bonus on the home board, and then catapult the poo poo out of everything!

Might do a non-blind one next.

Awesome! I got 126 with catapulter on my second playtest. Starting with a longship definitely makes the beginning a lot easier. I actually never went for the home board rock bonus. My first turn was explore immediately, raid for get fibula then and that double bonus on Iceland by the second turn.

My first playtest was with Faroe Islands, and meh. I've only explored that island once "successfully," where I ended up getting... 4 sheep from the bonus. And I honestly don't remember how I did that, bahaha.

I was kind of worried it'd be too easy, but I think requiring 4 longships kind of balances it out.

I'm already brainstorming for the second scenario! I think it won't be a weekly thing, I'll just update with whatever be scenarios I come up with whenever I can. Feel free to devise your own and post them, though! Once I get a leaderboard figured out I'll try to centralize the scenarios. Maybe make an entirely separate Gmail account that we all have access to.

I'm also trying to think of a crossover with our games, such as be buildings or a weird island or something(trying to figure out how to do a Vikings in space scenario... :awesomelon:)

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Got the special edition Vinhos from my parents. What's the consensus on the 2010 vs 2016 versions that come in the box?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Got Diplomacy and Kemet, gave my little brother Prosperity as planned. How do people feel about Diplomacy these days- there are other games I'd rather have but is it still worth playing? Prosperity is a super fun expansion, both games I played so far had Loan-Forge-Grand Market-King's Court and involved me struggling up to afford a Forge and enough Markets to the point where I trash half my deck and win in two turns (one thanks to Peddler w/Forge, the other to :goonrush:)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Megasabin posted:

I'm considering adding a dungeon crawler to my collection. Knowing nothing about them, i can tell it's a rather big genre, so is there a general breakdown of the subgenres? Ive heard of Descent, Arcadia quest, Catacombs, and Mage Knight, but they all seem like pretty different games.

Having done a little reading Arcadia Quest seems the most appealing out of the ones that are out. Gloomhaven seems to have a ton of hype behind it, but it's hard to tell how it compares to a game like Arcadia quest on the spectrum of things.

Descent is a traditional "dungeon crawler." There are multiple scenarios, a DM who controls the experience (or the highly talked about app), campaign progression, etc.

Arcadia Quest isn't a dungeon crawler but an arena battler or something. The map is set out, the AI controls the enemies, and you're competing to complete objectives in the maps. Has campaign progression.

Catacombs is a light dexterity game, also not a traditional dungeon crawler. The DM creates a deck of encounters and the players compete against them until they reach the boss at the lowest level. No campaign or progression, you have finite resources and don't level or anything. I like to think of it as a action roguelike in board game form.

Mage Knight is closer than Arcadia Quest and Catacombs. You reveal the map as you progress although the entirety of it is overland with encounters being areas or tokens you engage with. Plays well solo. No campaign although you'll level up and build your character's abilities. Definitely the heaviest of the games.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How is Hegemonic? It looks kinda like Stellaris.

Cast away any thoughts of the game being a 4x. It's actually a very mathy and aggressive area control game. They tossed in a lot of fluff in the form of powers and poo poo which really detract from what is a tight Euro.

I like it conceptually but unfortunately it's my least played games because it's pretty heavy and the marketing around it is confused. Everyone I would've played with got ruined on the first run where we had all the chrome on the first run.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Are there any other games in the same genre of Arcadia Quest? Is it considered best in class? It almost seems similar to Munchkin in description, but in guessing it's much better, given how it's received here.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

I also got Scythe and Dixit, so I'm very pumped about that.

Could be worse. I got the Oregon Trail card game :negative:

And Seafall, which at the very least will be better than the former

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Big McHuge posted:

Got the special edition Vinhos from my parents. What's the consensus on the 2010 vs 2016 versions that come in the box?

I haven't played 2010 yet, but 2016 is at the right level. You'd be amazed by how much you can achieve with just 12 actions.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

deadwing posted:

Could be worse. I got the Oregon Trail card game :negative:

Indeed It could be worse! I got only one game for christmas. Last time I ask for "a board game" :v:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I got A Feast for Odin

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rutibex posted:

Indeed It could be worse! I got only one game for christmas. Last time I ask for "a board game" :v:

Holy poo poo, I haven't played that in millenia. I wanna play.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Rutibex posted:

Reap what you sow bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Rumda posted:

I got A Feast for Odin

One of us.. one of us..

I unfortunately didn't get Sushi Go! Party for Christmas... So I ordered it with one day shipping so I can introduce my girl's parents to it, booyakasha!