Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

This is dumb, you can't sue over that. There's no laws against bad things happening to children in media or Game of Thrones would be in pretty loving hot water. The real reason is that the game's timescale doesn't allow for meaningful reproduction.

This is right. How many games go longer than 3 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Someone sue this man for harvesting imaginary children's organs in a video game!!

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

beerinator posted:

This is right. How many games go longer than 3 years?

I am willing to go the distance. if I nearly got 100% in Just cause 2 then you better loving believe I will try to play until the entire world is mine. :shepface: I mean there was that one guy that failed so badly at civ 2 he ended up playing 20 real years into an truly unwinnable situation!

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

This is dumb, you can't sue over that. There's no laws against bad things happening to children in media or Game of Thrones would be in pretty loving hot water. The real reason is that the game's timescale doesn't allow for meaningful reproduction.

I'd be more concerned about the "court of public opinion", to be honest - however, it might end up being a major boost to popularity, like with Hatred.

Only, you know, good.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
God I hope they don't add children because I hate children I deal with enough of them at work I don't want to deal with another mouth to feed that'll be worthless in contributing to the colony. It'd be like Emmie but more of her, except they'll even do less then her incompetent rear end.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There sort of already are children, I believe how char gen works you get more skills the older you are, and also people under 18 do not get the adult background and its associated skill modifiers.

Young and especially under 18 characters tend to be healthy but not very good at anything, older characters tend to have more health problems but come with more skills to start with.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, the new alpha changed that; before you could be 15 and have an adult backstory.

anyway AAARG now only one vitals monitor works with one hospital bed max so I have to rethink my whole hospital room layout

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
people here seem to think laws against child labor and child soldiers apply to a mad max shithole planet :unsmigghh:

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

anyway AAARG now only one vitals monitor works with one hospital bed max so I have to rethink my whole hospital room layout

Pretty sure you're wrong on that. The only vitals monitor change in A16 was to the tend quality modifier.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zhentar posted:

Pretty sure you're wrong on that. The only vitals monitor change in A16 was to the tend quality modifier.

I'm reading off the vitals monitor in game description, so either it's wrong, or I'm reading it wrong, or it was an undocumented change, or it happened earlier and nobody noticed.

EDIT: hahah! I *am* reading it wrong! I'm re-double-correcting myself here -- this is something I knew before and forgot. Bed connects to vitals monitor only once, but vitals monitors connects to infinite (8) beds! whew

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 25, 2016

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Waiting for a steam sale for this game..

Any idea if they're going to do one for this christmas steam sale?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Waiting for a steam sale for this game..

Any idea if they're going to do one for this christmas steam sale?

No. Dev has said he has no plans for putting the game on sale anytime soon.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
He probably won't do it on steam of all places either because he asks people to go to his site and buy it so he gets more money for the purchase.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
If you buy it on Steam, you get a Steam key. That's it.

Buying it from him directly?
You get the DRM-Free version. You get a Steam key. You get the prototype pack of games that became Rimworld. You give almost all your money to Ludeon instead of making Steam take a cut out of it directly. Sure, Steam will still get you the game. But you'll get a Steam key anyways. The only reason I could see you not buying it from him directly is if your exchange rate in your country is terrible since I believe he only accepts US currency.

It no longer gives a Steam key, by the way. It registers the game directly to your Steam account. He decided to change that to hopefully cut down on scammers of stolen credit cards and the such.

I mean I bought it before it went on Steam, and for A15 I did not get a direct link to the DRM-Free version. A16 gave me one of those again. But I'm sticking with the Steam copy I got with the key he sent me.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

There's no laws against bad things happening to children in media

This may be true in the US, but in other countries (Germany for example) it is actually illegal and you can face rather severe penalties for it, and not wanting to maintain a separate version of the game just for that market is a big reason why many games contain magical child protection mechanics. See Fallout, which actually did maintain a second child free version for germany in the earlier iterations, and just decided to make kids unharmable in the later ones

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

This may be true in the US, but in other countries (Germany for example) it is actually illegal and you can face rather severe penalties for it, and not wanting to maintain a separate version of the game just for that market is a big reason why many games contain magical child protection mechanics. See Fallout, which actually did maintain a second child free version for germany in the earlier iterations, and just decided to make kids unharmable in the later ones

Exactly. Doesn't matter if he's based in the US, he sells to Germany and other places, he can run afoul of their laws.

And that European Low Violence version of Fallout 2 was a fucker. They didn't remove the kids and reworked the game around their absence, just made them invisible. So not only did it break one of the major quest line's outcomes (bringing back a presumed-dead kid to prevent a massacre), but invisible child pickpockets lead to accusations of major item-removing bugs.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Been getting back into this with alpha 16 after not having played for like 9 months. Do they ever plan on adding z-levels? That's the one big thing I feel is missing here, and it would be a shame if that's not on the radar at some point.

MadJackMcJack posted:

Exactly. Doesn't matter if he's based in the US, he sells to Germany and other places, he can run afoul of their laws.

And that European Low Violence version of Fallout 2 was a fucker. They didn't remove the kids and reworked the game around their absence, just made them invisible. So not only did it break one of the major quest line's outcomes (bringing back a presumed-dead kid to prevent a massacre), but invisible child pickpockets lead to accusations of major item-removing bugs.

It's also worth noting that the laws that required those Low Violence versions back in the day have substantially relaxed since then, to the point where most (but not all) games here in Germany area released as they are in the rest of the world. Fallout 2 was quite awhile ago.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Thefluffy posted:

I hope they make it so that you don't need to spend metal on sandbags and other obvious not metal things. Also as much of a :can: that human reproduction would add to the game, it would be nice to have it. Because the scenario I use gives me lots of guns and armor but disables the freebie immigrant events and without the hospitality mod and with tyians loving 67% flat chance to outright kill an raider with an otherwise non lethal take down, makes getting new pawns a pain. :argh:

The Medieval Mod will let you build parapets and other scaleable defenses out of pretty much anything. Nothing that gives near one hundred percent protection but enough that the stone walls lying around should be enough to build a proper outer wall.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

Been getting back into this with alpha 16 after not having played for like 9 months. Do they ever plan on adding z-levels? That's the one big thing I feel is missing here, and it would be a shame if that's not on the radar at some point.

Z-levels are atm my dream feature. I'd love a built in combat realism but I realize not everyone is as groggy as me.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Drone posted:

It's also worth noting that the laws that required those Low Violence versions back in the day have substantially relaxed since then, to the point where most (but not all) games here in Germany area released as they are in the rest of the world. Fallout 2 was quite awhile ago.

I think z-levels in a 2-D world can get very confusing without very careful consideration of the UI, particularly for situations where one z-level is interacting with another (e.g. a pawn on one level shooting at a pawn on a different level). I've played enough Dwarf Fortress where I'd rather that they keep it on a single plane if z-levels can't be done well and intuitively.

I haven't been paying much attention, but I'm glad to hear that Germany is relaxing their laws on games. I can understand wanting to enforce an 18+ age limit on games, but it irritates me that I can't get a uncensored copy of Resident Evil 4 (though 5 and 6 are fine as is apparently) or Sleeping Dogs (but GTAV was unchanged). I can understand the censorship on things like Wolfenstein, though, clearly.

Sadly the law changes probably won't be retroactive.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
As to z-levels I did notice that map items have an extra third coordinate of "0" in their locations, but I think he's said z levels would add too much complexity for a one man game. Maybe he'll change his mind.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Personally I think Z-levels was one of the worst things added to Dwarf Fortress so I hope it stays like this. I like the idea of pits and bottomless holes, though. That adds a little danger or usefulness to the game, but top-down games and Z levels just don't mesh IMHO

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
one or two levels can be fine for a game like this, so you can do sewer and steam and piping tunnels and pits and moats and climb around on roofs and have watchtowers

anything more than that is just too much to handle, and the normal gameplay stuff should all be happening on the "main" z level

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 25, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mm, limited stuff like towers and a sub basement level would be fine but full 3d would be silly.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

GlyphGryph posted:

one or two levels can be fine for a game like this, so you can do sewer and steam and piping tunnels and pits and moats and climb around on roofs and have watchtowers

anything more than that is just too much to handle, and the normal gameplay stuff should all be happening on the "main" z level

Ok, yeah, that would be a really good way to handle it. Allow a sub-level for wiring or sewer but no actual combat on that level.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
yeah, give us maybe 5 Z levels, no rolling hills like you get in DF

Sub Basement, Basement, Main Floor, Floor 1 and Floor 2

I just want to make chimneys :( and two story houses and dungeons

I still do want 100s of Z levels tho...

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I want RimTower

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
If z levels are added they'd better loving allow combat on all levels. It's a shame people already would rather play minecraft than jagged alliance in this.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Zigmidge posted:

If z levels are added they'd better loving allow combat on all levels. It's a shame people already would rather play minecraft than jagged alliance in this.

is that with or without the ultra milsperg clusterfuck of 1.13 with far too much crap added to the game? :v:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Zhentar, do you know exactly what the changes to "sight" were in a16? Do bionic eyes help with crafting at all, or is it just eyes -> ranged combat, arms -> melee and crafting, legs -> movement speed?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Z levels made Dwarf Fortress stupidly more complex without adding much depth (besides literal) in gameplay. There were fun gimmicky things to do, but for the most part it just made it harder to visualize things and made it a significantly more difficult game to play. Adding a third axis of motion into a game really does need 3d graphics to keep it simple, otherwise you're going to start competing with the Dwarf Fortress niche which would require years and years of spaghetti coding and partial insanity to run against.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
There is Stonehearth if you want full 3d, but it's markedly more simple, partly because they seem to be going for a younger demographic and partly because it's just that much more complicated in 3d.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You technically already have a utilities z-level via a mod that lets you bury power cables so not only does it look nice, raiders don't see them and they are more damage resistant. The other z-level are roofs. I am pretty happy with the pseudo-z-levels we have.

I wouldn't mind seeing vehicles even if they are only utility for now that we have fuel.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

IAmTheRad posted:

If you buy it on Steam, you get a Steam key. That's it.

Buying it from him directly?
You get the DRM-Free version. You get a Steam key. You get the prototype pack of games that became Rimworld. You give almost all your money to Ludeon instead of making Steam take a cut out of it directly. Sure, Steam will still get you the game. But you'll get a Steam key anyways. The only reason I could see you not buying it from him directly is if your exchange rate in your country is terrible since I believe he only accepts US currency.

It no longer gives a Steam key, by the way. It registers the game directly to your Steam account. He decided to change that to hopefully cut down on scammers of stolen credit cards and the such.

I mean I bought it before it went on Steam, and for A15 I did not get a direct link to the DRM-Free version. A16 gave me one of those again. But I'm sticking with the Steam copy I got with the key he sent me.

Thanks for this, good breakdown. I'll probably buy it from him directly then

I just like the simplicity of steam and I have nothing against Valve for delivering a better way to obtain games. Especially since I have fond memories of waiting outside game shops on release dates when I was younger... glad those days are far behind us.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

A few z-levels above and below the main z-level would be a godsend. I personally hate how most of my bases become really wide and non-compact due to the fact I have to squeeze my stockpiles in. Would make base building tonnes more fun if I could build subterranean stockpiles and have workshops just go down stairs to get the resources they need.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Loopoo posted:

A few z-levels above and below the main z-level would be a godsend. I personally hate how most of my bases become really wide and non-compact due to the fact I have to squeeze my stockpiles in. Would make base building tonnes more fun if I could build subterranean stockpiles and have workshops just go down stairs to get the resources they need.

I just want to build a castle instead of a barracks compound.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
You know how in some games with maps for big areas (like Resident Evil titles) you can shift between floors and it makes the others transparent or grays out the lower floor? I kind of imagine that in Rimworld being similar to the way to go, or they could just emulate Starcraft's old elevated terrain design.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A single aboveground level for being able to shoot over stuff and a single lower level you can switch to for digging out basements/tunnels etc would probably be fine and easy enough to display, as well as minimizing the inter-z-level stuff.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Yeah 3 z levels would be enough for me it would be cool if bandits dug up from tunnels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

have bugs always spawn in the underground level and dig around untio they find your tunnels or decide to burst through a floor