Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
The trailer literally looked like a remake of Prometheus just with an actual Alien this time instead of the engineer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I wonder if the corn field scene is going to be the same as it was in the unused Alien 3 script?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Here's a shortfilm that takes place between Prometheus and Covenant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XzqCUbiPc4

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tenzarin posted:

So the spores are from the unused Alien 3 script.
Eric Red receives a surprise cheque marked "Payment for Chicken Alien idea."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

All we need now are some evil space viet cong red menace.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I hope Shaw shows up and murders the gently caress out of David by virtue of being the most interesting character in Prometheus.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Prob a safe bet that the spores in the trailer are directly related to the stuff that dissolved the sacrificial engineer in the opening of Prometheus.

Think those are Shaw's dog tags being found in the engineer ship?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
But sir, we should wear suits on the surface!
Don't worry about that subordinate, it's an earth like planet. We have all the vaxx-shots to protect us from all viruses and bacteria.

We have a shuttle that can traverse Space to Atmosphere and land anywhere on the planet.
Good, take us down through that thunderstorm in the middle of a mountain range, and make the landing as rough as possible, I want at least 1 crew member to feel sick.

Sir, there's no large animals we can see on our detailed scans of the planet.
Good. Take guns. Lots of guns. You might need to shoot something man sized.

As an android, I will now explain in great detail on the Xenomorph's life cycle. This will not make any sense and be completely against the previous movies storyline. I will then inform the audience it's not THAT type of Xenomorph but another type I just built out of available materials.

Large slabs of the crew talking to each other telling the audience why the previous movie made sense and they are idiots for thinking like that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Looks like they're going a lot more traditional slasher movie this time.

Which is fine but not really what I'm after. As long as there's cool sci fi poo poo to look at though I'm in.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The cinematography was really weird, but it must have been deliberate since the cinematographer is the same as on Prometheus - which, for all is faults, at least looked good.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That trailer did not make me super excited for the movie.

Welp bye

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

New official Alien movie series website is up: http://www.alienmovies.com/

It's an interactive Mother interface - you can type in various queries spanning Prometheus and 'Alien' (and maybe Covenant?) and it'll spit out a paragraph about them. I won't spoil what words or phrases work and what don't because part of the fun is experimenting with it, but this thread on an AvP fan forum has been messing with it since it went live for those who want website spoilers.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 25, 2016

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I tried:

Who is Arnold?

It told me all about David :raise:

What is the Maze?

Unable to compute.

Dead.

He cut a Hammerpede, was sprayed by acid and fell into a pool of black liquid.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Mr President posted:

The trailer literally looked like a remake of Prometheus just with an actual Alien this time instead of the engineer.

It looks like a soft reboot of Alien, which is weird and disappointing because I would have been down for the Continuing Journey of Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender's Head

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mike N Eich posted:

It looks like a soft reboot of Alien, which is weird and disappointing because I would have been down for the Continuing Journey of Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender's Head

Don't worry the adventure of RIpley 2 will not end in till the money does.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mike N Eich posted:

I feel like Ridley Scott can't win.

Prometheus comes out: "Where are the xenomorphs?! Why are we watching all of this pointless bullshit?"

Alien Covenant trailer drops: "Goddammit, xenomorphs again? C'mon, do something new, I wanted a follow-up from Prometheus!"

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Mr President posted:

Basically this. I'm not excited at all for this, hopefully Ridley Scott can turn it around because his recent track record has been v bad.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Basically this. I'm not excited at all for this, hopefully Ridley Scott can turn it around because his recent track record has been v bad.

What did you think of The Martian?

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Prometheus was fantastic. This trailer looks great. That's my story.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

What did you think of The Martian?

Yeah I guess the Martian was good. But mostly saved by the performances. Prometheus and exodus: gods and kings were so loving bad though.

E: lmao forgot about Robin Hood and the counselor holy poo poo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that scott made a watchable movie out of the book the martian is a miracle.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I hope this movie answers some of the Prometheus questions like 'why did they create us and then decide to kill us' but the answers are all horrible and maddening. And the gods are all dead or hideously transformed. And everyone's foolish hopes are entirely undone, for the indifferent perfection of the cosmos is exceeded only by its hostility.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I also hope there will be a dozen creatures of incomprehensible life cycle and purpose, defying all attempts at taxonomy or analysis, each one capable of new and obscene metamorphoses and appetites. Nothing should make any sense, all should be inchoate. The Engineer paradise transmuted into something pregnant with abomination: their marmoreal bodies disfigured by malignancy, wombs for the new and nameless life. The human explorers will be damned at the instant of contact, for all the choices they might make will only quicken the shrieking chaos.

Also excited to see more cool set design

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 26, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm bummed if that's their planet as it's super boring and just looks like earth.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
The Predator Planet was cooler.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
In a post credits scene Shaw and David's severed head contact the surviving characters and recruit them to the alien cinematic universe avengers initiative.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Timby posted:

Prometheus comes out: "Where are the xenomorphs?! Why are we watching all of this pointless bullshit?"

Alien Covenant trailer drops: "Goddammit, xenomorphs again? C'mon, do something new, I wanted a follow-up from Prometheus!"

Sure I guess, but I mostly enjoyed Prometheus and I'm a little disappointed Rapace isn't the lead in this. I'm basically assuming she'll show up for an infodump and get killed real quickly.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I kind of hope Shaw is just stuck in cryo the whole time because David is a diiicckkk.

She wakes up as the movie ends, alone, confused, and pissed.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I kind of hope Shaw is just stuck in cryo the whole time because David is a diiicckkk.

She wakes up as the movie ends, alone, confused, and pissed.

there will certainly be a scene where David-head will talk to a totally innocent full-body-David and that will probably own

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Timby posted:

The problems people had with Prometheus didn't include a lack of xenomorphs. The inclusion of a crappy cgi xenomorph in it actually weakened it, although I believe an SMG analysis mentioned it was included to rile up the fanboys and was a metacommentary on expectations and corporate marketing and how it ties in to people getting their just desserts and therefore it was great.

This trailer sort of looks like Ridley is taking that to the extreme 'you want aliens? Here's some aliens' but at the same time making it look super generic.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I hope shaw wakes up from cryo confused as to why a tiny old man is asking her for more life.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The REAL Goobusters posted:

It's pretty obvious now that the original Alien was so great because of all the talented people collaborating on the movie and that Ridley is incapable of recreating that magic on his own with a new crew. I'm still interested in watching Covenant, but only out of interest for whatever happens with David & Walter since Fassbender was so brilliant in Prometheus.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Ridley Scott's wife is basically responsible for editing the original Alien into something workable anyway.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Timby posted:

For me its more, I want the origin of the Xenomorphs, what the gently caress is this convoluted nonsense? Can we erase Prometheus and start again, I want a better Xenomorph origin story.

I pictured them being a natural thing on a planet, and then they were captured and taken to other planets as weapons and acting as a kind of super bug virus. Not some dumb space giants pretending to be gods and then mixing up some goo and then oh look Xenomorphs got made accidentally but also a ton of other weird stuff about black goo infecting people.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SUNKOS posted:

It's pretty obvious now that the original Alien was so great because of all the talented people collaborating on the movie and that Ridley is incapable of recreating that magic on his own with a new crew. I'm still interested in watching Covenant, but only out of interest for whatever happens with David & Walter since Fassbender was so brilliant in Prometheus.
The blurb on the back cover of the upcoming 'Art of Alien Covenant' concept art book fellates Ridley Scott pretty hard, it's pretty obnoxious:

"Ridley Scott returns to the universe he created, with Alien: Covenant, a new chapter in his groundbreaking Alien franchise."

I'm still interested in the book because film concept art is really interesting to me, but acting like Ridley Scott is the only reason the Alien series is good is pretty :what:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the xenomorph being not engineered is more interesting (works better in the story too since it's weyland yutani making the same mistake as that space jockey) but i never needed an origin story for them. i never liked the whole oh they take on characteristics of whatever they infest either it was cooler when hosts were just hosts like a wasp doesn't come out different when its eggs are implanted in a different type of spider or something. predalien looks dumb as gently caress.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Groovelord Neato posted:

the xenomorph being not engineered is more interesting (works better in the story too since it's weyland yutani making the same mistake as that space jockey) but i never needed an origin story for them. i never liked the whole oh they take on characteristics of whatever they infest either it was cooler when hosts were just hosts like a wasp doesn't come out different when its eggs are implanted in a different type of spider or something. predalien looks dumb as gently caress.
The host trait idea has been around since the first movie, it just wasn't made explicit until Alien3 because every host up to that point had been human.

I like the host trait thing, I think it adds an interesting visual and thematic layer to the Alien.
Having said that, my first exposure to the Alien series was the old Kenner toyline from the 90s back when I was 9, so I'm also a little biased. :v:

I like the Predalien concept, and I'm even okay with the design in AvPR (it looks better when it's lit properly), but better designs have shown up elsewhere.
The comics actually show an amazing amount of restraint - the Predalien concept is the obvious logical endpoint of an "Aliens vs Predator" fight and would be super easy to run into the ground, but there's exactly one and only one Predalien across all of the Aliens/Predator/AvP comics (and it's handled well).

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
I actually really liked how Prometheus handled the xenomorph, with its image emerging from the mural in the room with the black goo as a cryptic warning. I'd rather they have that aura of mystery and almost religious terror even for the godlike beings which supposedly created humanity than a concrete origin.

I trust Ridley Scott though. Haters gonna hate :colbert:

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Mike N Eich posted:

there will certainly be a scene where David-head will talk to a totally innocent full-body-David and that will probably own

I wonder if the scene of David sitting in a chair next to a piano is actually going to be some type of cyberspace that comes from David and the new Android connecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Hodgepodge posted:

I actually really liked how Prometheus handled the xenomorph, with its image emerging from the mural in the room with the black goo as a cryptic warning. I'd rather they have that aura of mystery and almost religious terror even for the godlike beings which supposedly created humanity than a concrete origin.

I trust Ridley Scott though. Haters gonna hate :colbert:

The xeno mural and the green crystal below it looked goofy, I thought. I agree with your sentiment regarding mystery but it seems that Scott is determined to replace good mysteries with bad ones.