Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The Box - A woman finds an old box full of X-Files-like journal reports that she takes to be a writing project. When she starts a podcast to read them, things start to get out of control.

I'm four episodes in and it's not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Slamhound posted:

The Box - A woman finds an old box full of X-Files-like journal reports that she takes to be a writing project. When she starts a podcast to read them, things start to get out of control.

I'm four episodes in and it's not bad.

Sweet I've run out of audiobooks and podcasts to listen to. Been binge listening to things during this work week from hell. Just two days left.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Len posted:

Sweet I've run out of audiobooks and podcasts to listen to. Been binge listening to things during this work week from hell. Just two days left.
Here's a library of drama podcasts. A lot of them have been mentioned here, but there are at least a few new ones.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

theblackw0lf posted:

Writer of The Magnus Archives recommends Knifepoint Horror and says it was one of the main inspirations for his show.

Knifepoint is hit or miss a f but when it's on its on

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I finished up lifeafter today and I think I liked The Message more overall. The ending was pretty okay up until he goes back to his wife that chose her long dead sister over him. She faked her death and left him miserable for 8 months and he's just going to forgive her? That seemed a stretch to me but I've not had to deal with bereavement so maybe it isn't?

Len fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 24, 2016

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
The season finale of Wolf 359 was pretty loving dynamite. Hell of a cliffhanger.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I listened to the first four episodes of the Box and boy howdy is it garbage. Do not listen unless you're really that desperate for modern anthology horror and have finished every other such podcast ever recommended in this thread.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it feels like this is like the fifth time I've heard this Blood Bag story the Magnus Archives just did. Not really complaining because he did fine with it it's just the first time it feels like he's covering heavily trod area.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Hell, I'm just glad they're back.. Its amazing to me that they can pull off this well thought out podcast with a 30 minute story every week and TANIS and The Black Tapes have been off for about, what, 4-5 months without content now? I know they both have Patreon content, but I can't justify $10 for them honestly.. My favorite non-fiction podcast "Laser Time" only has a $5 Patreon paywall for multiple additional weekly podcasts plus other content. (Very highly recommend them if you're looking for non-fictional entertainment, by the way! They're more of a pop culture podcast about old cartoons, movies, video games, etc - just take a topic, do some research, and talk about it for an hour or two.)

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 29, 2016

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

Tatum Girlparts posted:

it feels like this is like the fifth time I've heard this Blood Bag story the Magnus Archives just did. Not really complaining because he did fine with it it's just the first time it feels like he's covering heavily trod area.

Where else have you heard it?

I was probably too amused to be spooked since I work in a mosquito lab similar to the one in the story. The writer must have done his research on the cages and whatnot, he described them pretty well.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Amateur Sketch posted:

Where else have you heard it?

I was probably too amused to be spooked since I work in a mosquito lab similar to the one in the story. The writer must have done his research on the cages and whatnot, he described them pretty well.

I think it's mainly just I did a binge of some horror stuff and shockingly 'during a disease outbreak I worked with blood/other medical stuff and something spooky happened' isn't exactly a rare topic. Still a good story, and for sure one of the better versions I remember.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Anyone else listen to Alexandria Archives? I just got done with the first episode and I'm digging it, the first story was pretty solid and I think they did a good job with the late night college radio format.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Echophonic posted:

Anyone else listen to Alexandria Archives? I just got done with the first episode and I'm digging it, the first story was pretty solid and I think they did a good job with the late night college radio format.

Yeah I checked it out after the last bright Sessions callout. Reminds me of night Vale with creepy pasta instead of music

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Oh god why is The Box doing a black lives matter episode? I feel like a paranormal story podcast is not the best place to soapbox.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
So SAYER will be resuming, funded by a kickstarter.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Wish it was Patreon, but I'll contribute to that and anything the marscorp guys do

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Len posted:

Oh god why is The Box doing a black lives matter episode? I feel like a paranormal story podcast is not the best place to soapbox.

Just listened to this one too. Wow, that was pretty bad.

I kind of like The Box, it reminds me a lot of the early episodes of The Black Tapes (the good and bad). It's a terrible idea to try to tackle something like this when you don't know how. A 30 minute podcast, with 10 minutes of edited together news audio tacked onto the front. It wasn't enough for the incredibly short story to just happen to give the character a chance to awkwardly get on a soapbox and drop a bunch of racism 101 knowledge, but she has to do it herself too for the outro.

And since I haven't seen it mentioned recently, SPINES was good. They just finished their first set of 8. Even though the pitch is just girl with amnesia investigates strange cult ritual, it's probably worth mentioning that it's really more of a weird fiction tale (very weird).

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm interested in hearing more about how he intends to continue the story, because it seems like the ending would be pretty tough to write around. I'm on board if he has somewhere interesting to go with it, but there's too much else out there to jump back in if he's making more just for the sake of making more.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sinteres posted:

I'm interested in hearing more about how he intends to continue the story, because it seems like the ending would be pretty tough to write around. I'm on board if he has somewhere interesting to go with it, but there's too much else out there to jump back in if he's making more just for the sake of making more.

The current rumour is season 4 will be a prequel set before the comic.

Use this if you want to be notified once the KS is up http://eepurl.com/cvuDHL

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

I listened to the first four episodes of the Box and boy howdy is it garbage. Do not listen unless you're really that desperate for modern anthology horror and have finished every other such podcast ever recommended in this thread.

I am listening to that and I loving lost it when a man who I am just going to assume is Resident Evil Character Barry Burton yelled "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?".

e: The gently caress is this lovely monologue. I don't know you or care about you lady I don't want to know about your stupid college experience.

ee: This is such garbage. Shame on you, poster who thought this was good.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 3, 2017

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

I am listening to that and I loving lost it when a man who I am just going to assume is Resident Evil Character Barry Burton yelled "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?".

e: The gently caress is this lovely monologue. I don't know you or care about you lady I don't want to know about your stupid college experience.

ee: This is such garbage. Shame on you, poster who thought this was good.

:smith:

I thought it had promise, but ultimately it's a goddamned mess. In later episodes they leave in multiple takes of the same line.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

At this point I'm still listening BECAUSE of the trainwreck aspect

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Finished Homecoming, it was a solid listen. Decent story elevated by superb acting and production values. I'm glad they wrapped it up at six episodes to avoid padding.

One tiny quibble, it was offputting how each episode including a self-congratulatory "making of" feature, and felt the need to remind the listener ten times that this is an Eli Horowitz production, written by Eli Horowitz, directed by Eli Horowitz, craft services by... etc.. That stuff is fine, but why after each short episode? Release all that after the series is over.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Finished Homecoming, it was a solid listen. Decent story elevated by superb acting and production values. I'm glad they wrapped it up at six episodes to avoid padding.

One tiny quibble, it was offputting how each episode including a self-congratulatory "making of" feature, and felt the need to remind the listener ten times that this is an Eli Horowitz production, written by Eli Horowitz, directed by Eli Horowitz, craft services by... etc.. That stuff is fine, but why after each short episode? Release all that after the series is over.

Homecoming is really good. Probably my favorite of the big-name productions.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The box goes to poo poo pretty much immediately after she decides to steal the books and go on a road trip. Like goddamn the quality drop was insane

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Burned through the first six episodes of Lesser Gods. Seems like a lot of really fun ideas struggling against the format. I went in expecting the last young people on Earth to, you know, interact, but it's more like listening to a handful of narrators read sections of a book report.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Good pre-production meeting today. It'll be a while before we can afford to produce season 3, but we've got some one and two-parter story ideas to fill the space in between.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Well, Archive 81 is back for season 2, and drat it seems to have taken a nose dive. Completely different tone, a terrible framing device, annoying sound effects and none of the half-decent weird fiction I liked.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Well, Archive 81 is back for season 2, and drat it seems to have taken a nose dive. Completely different tone, a terrible framing device, annoying sound effects and none of the half-decent weird fiction I liked.

Oh that doesn't sound good. I listened to all of the Deep Vault but I found the tone to be really inconsistent. It didn't handle swinging from horror to comedy as well as something like King Falls usually does.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I'm not liking the first episode of S2 at all. Guess I'll give it a few before giving up on it.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I kinda liked it. It's very very very different, but we're definitely coming into some interesting or unusual business.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Yo, check out Terms

quote:

On election night, two-term president Oliver Pierce watches in disbelief from the White House as Charles Dunwalke wins a controversial electoral college victory. With only 73 days before Dunwalke’s inauguration, president Pierce makes a secret decision to act, with historic and possibly catastrophic consequences.
http://wondery.com/wondery/shows/terms/

It has really good production and acting, and don't worry about it being like irl, for one thing POTUS and PEOTUS are Republican, and Dunwalke may actually be Hitler???

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Kraps posted:

Yo, check out Terms

It has really good production and acting, and don't worry about it being like irl, for one thing POTUS and PEOTUS are Republican, and Dunwalke may actually be Hitler???

So it is real life then. :downsrim:

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I actually didn't mind S2E1 of Archive 81, but I don't have high hopes for it.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Kraps posted:

Yo, check out Terms

It's pretty eerie. I especially liked when Dunwalke scared the crap out of European allies by saying that he didn't think the U.S. should unconditionally support them. Dunwalke's more overtly religious than Trump, but other than that they're almost identical. The creator, Lindsey Graham (no, not that one) swears up and down that he's been working on the story for years. I think the only unrealistic thing is that the departing president is a two-term popular, centrist Republican, which hasn't really happened since Eisenhower (maybe Reagan if you're VERY generous with your definition of "centrist").

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I actually liked the new Archive 81 episode more than last season. I could be biased, since my friend plays one of the new characters, but I'm not sure I would have made it through all of season 1 if she hadn't been cast. The new one is so bonkers it had my attention the whole time.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

effervescible posted:

The new one is so bonkers it had my attention the whole time.

Same here, I like how they went from building up "eldritch goings-on/conspiracy" in the background to maximum weird in the foreground. Makes things much more interesting than the usual "found-footage" type of horror podcast, and I'm really interested to see where they go with it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Just finished Mabel. In short it's Silent Hill meets old fairie stories. Except these aren't the cute kind with wings and little dresses. They're more like the faceless nurses staggering around with rusty weapons. Excellent stuff.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I just did my second listen-through of Within the Wires, and it's still amazing. I'm extremely particular, and the first episode was annoying, but once you understand that information will be

iterated

many times

you will

listen

remember

comprehend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I just did my second listen-through of Within the Wires, and it's still amazing. I'm extremely particular, and the first episode was annoying, but once you understand that information will be

iterated

many times

you will

listen

remember

comprehend

In the next exercise, you are going to stop breathing.

• Locked thread