Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kawalimus posted:

Yeah but this is a hail mary situation where unless you're denver in 2012 playoffs you're not going to get behind the defense. Right there you just chuck it deep and even if you can't get it all the way to the endzone you just hope there's a tip or deflection and a guy can take it in.

They pretty clearly either thought Flacco didn't have the arm to get to the end zone there or they were worried about protecting him long enough for everyone else to get there. They were trying to set up the lateral play that works like once every 500 attempts and they couldn't get it done. There is no good play call to gain 60 yards when the defense knows you need that in one play and you're way too angry about it.

The lateral play never works, yes. The Hail Mary short of the end zone play doesn't either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Despite my frustrations with the Ravens it would be a moronic move on par with firing Jim to fire Harbaugh.

How exactly do you expect to get a better coach than your superbowl winning coach that has consistently led your team to the playoffs and has led to intense improvments in the unit of his expertise (special teams).

Seriously someone give me a name of this Cincinnatus that is waiting to be drafted

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Grittybeard posted:

They pretty clearly either thought Flacco didn't have the arm to get to the end zone there or they were worried about protecting him long enough for everyone else to get there. They were trying to set up the lateral play that works like once every 500 attempts and they couldn't get it done. There is no good play call to gain 60 yards when the defense knows you need that in one play and you're way too angry about it.

The lateral play never works, yes. The Hail Mary short of the end zone play doesn't either.

Hail Marys in general rarely work. That's why they're called that. But even with the low odds of a regular hail mary setup working the lateral play is EXTREMELY less likely to work. Even if the balll doesn't get to the end zone, there's a decent chance one of your guys can tip it up and then another one can get it. In fact almost that same thing happened against the Ravens a couple years ago against the Bengals.

You need so much to go right for a lateral play to work. For a hail mary you need one lucky tip.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Suck my dick America Steelers hoot hoot hoot

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

A big flaming stink posted:

Seriously someone give me a name of this Cincinnatus that is waiting to be drafted

I don't know if I think they should shitcan Harbaugh one way or the other, but I wanted to say that I appreciate this reference.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Despite my frustrations with the Ravens it would be a moronic move on par with firing Jim to fire Harbaugh.

How exactly do you expect to get a better coach than your superbowl winning coach that has consistently led your team to the playoffs and has led to intense improvments in the unit of his expertise (special teams).

I don't really know. I'm not a guy in charge of hiring coaches. But there are competent guys out there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kawalimus posted:

Even if the balll doesn't get to the end zone, there's a decent chance one of your guys can tip it up and then another one can get it. In fact almost that same thing happened against the Ravens a couple years ago against the Bengals.

No, there isn't. It's why hail mary's are not called when the team believes the quarterback can't get the ball to the end zone.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Eating sheetz and sucking dick in central pa go steelers

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

No, there isn't. It's why hail mary's are not called when the team believes the quarterback can't get the ball to the end zone.

Yeah there is. It happened against the Ravens. Though it was already in the end zone. I'd rather see us pitch it deep than try a stupid lateral play, because they NEVER work. The only one that has ever even worked that I know of was the Saints one where they missed the PAT after.

If we're at like the 20 then yeah I get it. At the 40? Nah you pitch it deep. Especially with Flacco and his "big arm". You launch that poo poo.

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
Don't worry folks, kaliwhiner thinks every team should be the best every yeaR.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
NBC just showed the time Elway cried about crowd noise and it's more frustrating than talking to Kawalimus.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Time for a game in the 2nd loudest stadium in the nfl

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Time for a game in the 2nd loudest stadium in the nfl

Take it up with Guinness.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Smell that

That's the smell of shaved balls fresh from a steamroom.

It's a steelers football smell

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

There's also a decent chance on a hail mary that there will be PI called. I mean it doesn't usually ever happen but it could.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

I don't really know. I'm not a guy in charge of hiring coaches. But there are competent guys out there.

No, there are not. There are retreads of proven failures and good coordinators that failed utterly the first time they were a head coach. Or unproven college coaches if you want Chip Kelly's Wild Ride part 2.

Christ, you might as well hire loving Trestman, because thats the average level of talent available on the head coaching market. Or Rex loving Ryan, lol

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Also, go Steelers in the playoffs.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

Also, go Steelers in the playoffs.

From the bottom of my heart, bird man that I love

gently caress YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

No, there are not. There are retreads of proven failures and good coordinators that failed utterly the first time they were a head coach. Or unproven college coaches if you want Chip Kelly's Wild Ride part 2.

Christ, you might as well hire loving Trsetman, because thats the average level of talent available on the head coaching market. Or Rex loving Ryan, lol

You just named retreads. I don't want a retread. I want a new guy with knowledge of offense or defense. All the successful coaches were like this at one time. It happens because teams are lazy and hire these retreads or names instead of looking for guys with a real ability. That we hired a guy like Harbaugh shows that we are capable of hiring a good coach and not just going after the hot name or retread. But Harbaugh is just a dope who doesn't seem to really know much to hold people accountable so is just loyal to his lackeys. His good coordinators all got poached.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

From the bottom of my heart, bird man that I love

gently caress YOU

I like the Steelers. What can I say. I usually don't root for them to go far and usually root for new england to beat them but this year I'll make an exception. I do hope they lose in the Superbowl though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Looks like the heavy stuff will be gone by the time the game starts. Some steady rain for the first quarter and then maybe off and on for the rest of the game.

No Justin Houston for KC tonight which sucks.

E_Motion
Oct 26, 2004

Your fortuitous arrival is most welcome! Now, I am spared the bother of hunting you down!

College Slice

You're right.

I'm just pissed about the Ravens giving this game away and all of the losses this year (except NE) being totally avoidable if they just kept doing what they were doing to get ahead.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

regarding the hail mary, the Steelers rushed 4. most of the time hail marys see a 3 man rush and max coverage. maybe that was the reason they tried for the lateral play.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Run the jewels 3 and steelers wins on Christmas gonna not kill myself by autoerotic asphyxiation afterall

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Moxie posted:

regarding the hail mary, the Steelers rushed 4. most of the time hail marys see a 3 man rush and max coverage. maybe that was the reason they tried for the lateral play.

Isn't that another good reason to pitch it deep? Potential Raheem Moore scenario.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Smell that

That's the smell of shaved balls fresh from a steamroom.

It's a steelers football smell

I remember this smell.

It smells like....Tim Tebow passing for 60 yards???

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I remember this smell.

It smells like....Tim Tebow passing for 60 yards???

F...f...gently caress you!!!!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Go Chiefs

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ehud posted:

Go Chiefs

Get ready for some excitement on every third down that's longer than 5 yards. How do you feel about WR screens and 2 yard outs?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Grittybeard posted:

Get ready for some excitement on every third down that's longer than 5 yards. How do you feel about WR screens and 2 yard outs?

pls win

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Ehud posted:

pls win

GO CHEFS :toot:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Grittybeard posted:

Personally, I am looking forward to all the punts

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ehud posted:

pls win

I would enjoy this outcome as well.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ehud posted:

pls win

I would like the dolphins to make the playoffs because you are cool and I want good things to happen in your life.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Sunday Night Swampball!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ohhhhhhhhhhhh

sunday night

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

did yall see george michael died

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Intro continues to be terrible.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Imagine if someone died in this game and everyone was like "hey remember the time that football guy died live on tv on Christmas"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
who is that white girl singing got dam

• Locked thread