Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Furry Hunter posted:

Thanks. I spent $500 four years ago, not sure it's worth the headache.

I'm pretty sure it is, refunds are painless nowadays.

I wonder how much of the first $5 mill is left? Like 60% max, I'd bet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Reach out to old friends this Chris-mas!

https://twitter.com/SirWreckedAngle/status/813129894255329281

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 25, 2016

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hey theagent and eightace

whats ur take on this whole engine debacle? also merry christmas

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Someone who sees poo poo coming and has good info: "lol engine changing incoming next week hold onto your butts!!"

Someone who likes too much attention irrespective of the quality of their information or foresight: "hooo boy SOMETHING is coming!! Some day soon!"

You're on a goddamn boat with the fam on vacation on Christmas, if INRI and arfjohn are right about anyone here it's Derek smart specifically

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

a cyberpunk goose posted:

Someone who sees poo poo coming and has good info: "lol engine changing incoming next week hold onto your butts!!"

Someone who likes too much attention irrespective of the quality of their information or foresight: "hooo boy SOMETHING is coming!! Some day soon!"

You're on a goddamn boat with the fam on vacation on Christmas, if INRI and arfjohn are right about anyone here it's Derek smart specifically

Rude, but sadly most certainly true.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

You can't just make shifty vague posts all the time padded by 4 paragraphs of ancillary details that we all already know and act like you're bringing anything to the table

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

You can't just make shifty vague posts all the time padded by 4 paragraphs of ancillary details that we all already know and act like you're bringing anything to the table

Or can you?

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Whoa poo poo boys! Really loving good post incoming. You think it's been good so far, this is like all your Christmases come at once. Stay tuned!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

I think he can!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Furry Hunter posted:

I wish someone would pay me $500 to send a couple of emails.

Furry Hunter
May 5, 2005
Professional Fursecutor
What happened to Squadron 42? All that footage shot, big named actors hired, all wasted.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's being released this year.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Furry Hunter posted:

What happened to Squadron 42? All that footage shot, big named actors hired, all wasted.

Known, verifiable SQ42 progress during 2016:

• Changed the year above the exhortation to "ANSWER THE CALL" on the web page from 2016 to 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ghostlight posted:

It's being released this year.

it's next year actually and a week from now it will also be next year

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Maybe Santa will bring you a real job instead of the hideous Sisyphean death shuffle of streaming Star Citizen, WTFOSAURUS.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Furry Hunter posted:

Your situation is perfect. Check out my post history from the beginning of this week for an example of how I got a refund in a week.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

well you can it just drives people crazy and they stop giving a gently caress about your weird private forums and discord whatevers

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Always be refunding

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

alphabettitouretti posted:

This effortless code merging strikes me as a proper load of bollocks. I'm not a coder and I'm happy to be schooled on it, but it seems like an impossibility that you could combine lumberyard and whatever cig has crobbled together without any problems. Even if lumberyard is only a tiny bit different, does it really seem likely they just slammed these two branches of ce into each other without any issues (and therefore expended money and resources)?

If they really have been working on it for a year that doesn't suggest smooth sailing.

If the changes are minimal, both products branched at the same time, and you have a good level of abstraction between your base engine and your actual game, then it's possible for someone versed in the mysteries of complex git merges to do it pretty cleanly. Reading between the lines however, what they've done is a partial merge (possibly of stuff that doesn't get touched too much) so they can keep getting updates to those parts of the system, while keeping some of the older bits static. I've done similar merges and updates myself, and it's not something you do lightly though - certainly not 'a couple of days'. On small projects you spend a couple of days researching and understanding the differences between branches - then a really intensive and unpleasant cycle of incremental upgrades and re-testing your software. Last time I did it (On something very small compared to a space-sim/fps/shitshow), it was a month of brain-achingly hard graft and I almost made our entire QA department quit.

If you don't put that level of effort in, you will introduce a mass of sometimes subtle yet horrific bugs into your software because it turns out function X has a really subtle difference that causes all your ships to randomly explode for no reason.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

cynic posted:

If you don't put that level of effort in, you will introduce a mass of sometimes subtle yet horrific bugs into your software because it turns out function X has a really subtle difference that causes all your ships to randomly explode for no reason.

So in this case nothing will be different from the user perspective.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

I do not know why the engine switch and the explanations sound so strange to everyone. Even the short timeframe to implement it makes sense if you just accept one notion:

They switched to the first version of LY - one which was not even released but that had been branched off from CryEngine and had a more open license.

I am not sure what kind of technical options would be available for achieving this.. maybe it would be enough to take the first commit of SC (base CryEngine), replace the code with the same version of LY code (basically just license.txt change).. and then pull in the rest of the changes in SC code. Since the base is 1:1 the same, it does not matter that now they are using a 'new engine' as base.

They have not taken in any new features yet. Just switched engines but it is still 100% the same code.

Or am I missing something here which makes this solution impossible? It seems very unlikely that the obviously incompetent CIG and CR would manage any of the convoluted cover-ups / solutions proposed in this thread. Think about it - it is a win-win for CIG and Amazon. CIG will get to boast about impressive LY features they will never merge (plus new license) and Amazon gets to say that the most funded crowdfunded game is built on their engine.

SirTagz fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 26, 2016

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Wrecked Angle posted:

Whoa poo poo boys! Really loving good post incoming. You think it's been good so far, this is like all your Christmases come at once. Stay tuned!

Is this a vague hint of something incredible, or mockery of the warlord

If it's the former, I'm getting hit by a train tonight because the good karma has just been too overwhelming thus far

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

boy i hope the lovecraft abomination glitches manage to survive the one or two day move to lumberyard. theyre the only visually distinct thing this game has

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

D_Smart posted:

You guys think you're pissed now? Well then, better get ready for my upcoming blog because it's got some things that nobody saw coming, and which I can 100% guarantee will lead to legal action that will subsequently *force CIG to produce the promised financial accounting for the project - something that most of you are too scared to see happen.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I'm actually kind of willing to take Chris at his word that the Engine change didn't take very long because it's not like they had a working product to begin with that could get broken in the process. It's like doing surgery on a corpse it's actually really really easy and there's nothing to get anxious about as long as nobody is watching.

Merry Christimas

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Amarcarts posted:

I'm actually kind of willing to take Chris at his word that the Engine change didn't take very long because it's not like they had a working product to begin with that could get broken in the process. It's like doing surgery on a corpse it's actually really really easy and there's nothing to get anxious about as long as nobody is watching.

Merry Christimas

As a friend I would ask you not to take Chris at his word .... The guy lies all the time. All the time. Like, very often.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

SirTagz posted:

I do not know why the engine switch and the explanations sound so strange to everyone. Even the short timeframe to implement it makes sense if you just accept one notion:

They switched to the first version of LY - one which was not even released but that had been branched off from CryEngine and had a more open license.

I am not sure what kind of technical options would be available for achieving this.. maybe it would be enough to take the first commit of SC (base CryEngine), replace the code with the same version of LY code (basically just license.txt change).. and then pull in the rest of the changes in SC code. Since the base is 1:1 the same, it does not matter that now they are using a 'new engine' as base.

They have not taken in any new features yet. Just switched engines but it is still 100% the same code.

Or am I missing something here which makes this solution impossible? It seems very unlikely that the obviously incompetent CIG and CR would manage any of the convoluted cover-ups / solutions proposed in this thread. Think about it - it is a win-win for CIG and Amazon. CIG will get to boast about impressive LY features they will never merge (plus new license) and Amazon gets to say that the most funded crowdfunded game is built on their engine.

The only point in switching to a new branch would be to take in the upgrades that come with a maintained code branch. From a quick skim of the changelogs at http://docs.aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/latest/releasenotes/lumberyard-v1.6-changes.html I can see lots of potentially breaking changes though, so the 'two days' claim doesn't mesh with the level and speed of updates to the code base.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

At lest a Jonestown they flavored the poision, at Robertstown they charge you for the cup then tell you to cup your hands and pour watered down poison directly into your hands (often this clip right through) all the while the best vice-cult leader since she was a little girl fake cries what a great community you are while flirting with the boys while pretending she is not the wife of the cult leader.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
We allowed to say anything positive in here?

Because i loving love the new patch.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

cynic posted:

The only point in switching to a new branch would be to take in the upgrades that come with a maintained code branch. From a quick skim of the changelogs at http://docs.aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/latest/releasenotes/lumberyard-v1.6-changes.html I can see lots of potentially breaking changes though, so the 'two days' claim doesn't mesh with the level and speed of updates to the code base.

Like I said. Two days is pretty reasonable considering what they have released is janky and broken. It would be much more suspicious if it actually worked.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

SirTagz posted:

Yeah but going further than that, I think what Derek is saying is, they just switched the backend servers and not much else. Yes, it's an engine change and they have a new Amazon cast iron TOS that applies to them, new splash screen requirement etc, but it's only an engine change in the sense they can stop referring to the Star Engine as modified Cryengine Version X because Crytek are in everyone's bad books. So you avoid that by referring to Star Engine as modified Amazon Lumberyard (which was based on Cryengine Version X) from now on. "We made the switch in 2 days", which is about the time needed to switch the backend if you intended to do it badly and gently caress up the live PU version for everyone in 2.5.

The people who support the engine only really matter if CIG intended to implement any of the extra functionality and considering they can't seem to make a game at all, which engine they don't update while not making it, isn't really that important.

Citizens are loving dumb though. CIG couldn't merge Star Marine code from Star Engine from Illfonic who were actually working for them in 6 months and yet Citizens will believe CIG did something meaningful with Lumberyard in 2 days. To me the idea of CIG merging anything successfully , in a year, two years or two days is pure space fantasy.

It's a masterful plan, except the gaming press associates engine changes with not knowing what the gently caress you were doing, in CIG's case for years.

The above explanation doesn't require a lot of technical expertise or knowledge about game development at CIG, also it means they didn't actually have to do much at all, so I think it's very likely the answer. Someone digging through the files, examining the network traffic or more leaks in the new year should confirm it one way or the other.

AP fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 26, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So what's all this bitching about this 64bit position poo poo and the fun made about it? Wouldn't it just require making sure that the position fields are doubles? Any decently designed engine (i.e. Crytek's work, not CIG) has it abstracted away via a typedef, some poo poo like position_t or vector_t that's at your mercy (--edit: and any other related types ofc).

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 26, 2016

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Oh man I almost missed a chance to post a Christmas beetle!

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

It's cute. I like the little hat. Please make more little hats and beetle pictures for the thread.

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

Beet Wagon posted:

that is a strange but good catte

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEJmjw-yGKM

More lethal than CoD

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
Merry generic winter festival you goons. Play some nice game, enjoy life, friend and family time and see you next year for more CIG hilarity.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 26, 2016

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

So what's all this bitching about this 64bit position poo poo and the fun made about it? Wouldn't it just require making sure that the position fields are doubles? Any decently designed engine (i.e. Crytek's work, not CIG) has it abstracted away via a typedef, some poo poo like position_t or vector_t that's at your mercy (--edit: and any other related types ofc).

Crytek's work isn't quite a ”decently designed engine” to begin with.
It's a mess.

Also, we're making fun of it because they've switched to 64bit as a solution to issues with the precision, caused by them scaling down the player character and all the models, in an effort to increase the world size.

Additionally, it appears the physics engine didn't get the memo, so poo poo keeps flying apart, jittering, exploding and spinning out of control without provocation.

orcinus fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 26, 2016

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Rocksicles posted:

We allowed to say anything positive in here?

Because i loving love the new patch.

Cool, what game though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

AP posted:

Citizens are loving dumb though. CIG couldn't merge Star Marine code from Star Engine from Illfonic who were actually working for them in 6 months and yet Citizens will believe CIG did something meaningful with Lumberyard in 2 days. To me the idea of CIG merging anything successfully , in a year, two years or two days is pure space fantasy.

To be fair Illfonic aka "those guys who made cancelled their own vaporware called Revival The MMO" probably delivered garbage. It's not like they went on to anything else of note other than making a shitcanned branch of someone else's video game.

None of this would have mattered if SC was just transformed into a top down 2D MOBA like SA suggested years ago.