Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dewgy posted:

I must have your recipe. That Jones looks drat good.

PMed you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lurdiak posted:

PMed you.

Confirmed: drat good Jones.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ostentatious posted:

Girlfriend is having me sit through a video game anime and i........I enjoy it

The Persona 4 anime is actually really good. Watch the second one afterwards its literally a New Game+

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

The Persona 4 anime is actually really good. Watch the second one afterwards its literally a New Game+

yeah she knows i dont gently caress with anime aside from Persona 4, so we watched four episodes and i am probably going to watch the whole thing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I spent my christmas with family, culminating with watching Kubo and the Two Strings. I had heard incredible, amazing things about it, that it's one of the best animated films ever made, that it's breathtakingly beautiful, that it is entirely stop-motion, and that it is best to go in blind. All of these things are true. The only thing I saw of the movie prior to actually watching it was this animated gif:

The movie is an absolute joy. Definitely watch it. It's criminal that it did so terribly at the box office.

This video shows just how much of the movie is real, not cgi(preferably watch after seeing the movie since it's got spoilers in it). I was repeatedly flabbergasted throughout that video. I literally cannot believe some of the scenes they shot live were not cgi despite it staring me in the face. Incredible. Truly incredible.

Kubo was wonderful. I had some qualms about the ending but the artistry on display is worth watching all on its own.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain Invictus posted:

I was repeatedly flabbergasted throughout that video. I literally cannot believe some of the scenes they shot live were not cgi despite it staring me in the face. Incredible. Truly incredible.

ParaNorman was the last one from Laika I saw and that was jaw-dropping, especially the effects during the finale. It's also very easy to get into content-wise since it's based around horror and sci-fi nerditry.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

ParaNorman was the last one from Laika I saw and that was jaw-dropping, especially the effects during the finale. It's also very easy to get into content-wise since it's based around horror and sci-fi nerditry.

The fact that the ending of Paranorman wasn't CG was absolutely jaw-dropping to me.That poo poo is insane.

It's a shame Boxtrolls was such a loving awful mess but between Paranorman and Kubo they've more than excused one screwup.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I bought racing stripes for my car in FF15, now how the gently caress do I put them on

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I really admire the craftsmanship involved with Laika but I wish they had better scripts, even when I like what they're going for with something like Coraline or Paranorman it still feels like it falls well short of something like Disney or Pixar at their best. To say nothing of Boxtrolls or, to a lesser extent, Kubo where it feels like it really could have used another draft or two to tie all the different ideas they're kicking around much better.

I think I'm just lousy at being a fan of animation because when I watch something like, say, The Thief and the Cobbler I can admire how much skill and work and time it took to animate something like the siege at the end of the movie but it doesn't change the fact that 10 minutes of meticulously detailed machines slowly falling apart is really boring and doesn't really contribute anything to the story or the movie as a whole.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
With Laika, Coraline and Paranorman were wonderful, Kubo was gorgeous but the script was all over the place and Boxtrolls was just garbage

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I just picked up DOOM '16. Gameplay is fun, but it's choppy as hell even with settings turned way down. Thing is it's not just low framerate, it feels like the game is actually running slow. It hits my CPU pretty hard, like 30% even while I'm alt-tabbed, is that normal? I've got a reasonably new rig (i5 6600K 3.5GHz, 16GB RAM and a GTX 960 SC 2GB), and it's the only game I have any issues at all on, the closest comparison in my library is Bioshock Infinite which I can run rock-solid 60fps at max settings; I feel like I shouldn't be having this much trouble.

Apologies if there's a better thread for issues like this, I didn't see a dedicated thread for the game and this looked like the best option.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm not sure what's doing it since the prevailing word is that DOOM 2016 runs extremely well on any rig that can start it. I've got an admittedly powerful computer but it ran completely flawlessly start to finish for me on the highest settings. Perhaps there's some kind of background process causing the interference?

glam rock hamhock posted:

With Laika, Coraline and Paranorman were wonderful, Kubo was gorgeous but the script was all over the place and Boxtrolls was just garbage
I didn't feel the script was bad in Kubo, what was your problem with it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm not sure what's doing it since the prevailing word is that DOOM 2016 runs extremely well on any rig that can start it. I've got an admittedly powerful computer but it ran completely flawlessly start to finish for me on the highest settings. Perhaps there's some kind of background process causing the interference?
I didn't feel the script was bad in Kubo, what was your problem with it?

For me, I just genuinely disliked the ending. The film did a really strong and heartbreaking job of showing the impact and horror of that sort of memory loss and damage on a person, both with Kubo's mother and father, and so Kubo's solution being "I'm going to do the same thing to my grandpa but it's okay this time because I meant it in a good way" rang incredibly false to me.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Wizard posted:

I bought racing stripes for my car in FF15, now how the gently caress do I put them on

Talk to the boobs lady at Hammerhead

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ImpAtom posted:

For me, I just genuinely disliked the ending. The film did a really strong and heartbreaking job of showing the impact and horror of that sort of memory loss and damage on a person, both with Kubo's mother and father, and so Kubo's solution being "I'm going to do the same thing to my grandpa but it's okay this time because I meant it in a good way" rang incredibly false to me.

I thought that was a bit weird, but at the same time, if his grandfather was as kind as he seemed to be once human, if he knew the atrocities he'd committed beforehand it probably wouldn't end well. I saw it as them giving the grandfather a fresh start so he didn't have to know that he caused the deaths of all of his children while he was a god.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I thought that was a bit weird, but at the same time, if his grandfather was as kind as he seemed to be once human, if he knew the atrocities he'd committed beforehand it probably wouldn't end well. I saw it as them giving the grandfather a fresh start so he didn't have to know that he caused the deaths of all of his children while he was a god.

Yeah, I think that was the intended reading of it. It's just not how it felt to me, ain't nothing wrong if you took it the other (and probably more intended) way.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i saw rogue one and that ending hachi machi

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Welp, turns out restarting the computer actually fixed this one! Game runs full speed at max setRIP AND TEAR! RIP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Recommended 3ds themes anyone? Leaning towards snake eater just so its all boxes.

New fire emblem is good, but so far i feel like normal is a bit too easy. puckLilith is cool.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Shantae bikini theme :newlol:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

I hope everyone has a nice mug of hot jones on this X-mas day.

Elf is terrible, I don't get why it's so beloved.

Ed Asner as Santa, Bob Newhart as an elf, Zooey Deschanel as a fake elf, and Will Ferrell before I got sick of his schtick. It's just a fun time.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

The Shantae bikini theme :newlol:

Go all in with the senran kagura theme.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
A friend of mine gifted me Firewatch and I played through it one sitting. I enjoyed it for the most part but I did find it really :rolleyes: how the game world is littered with novels seemingly entirely so that Olly Moss had an excuse to cram the game full of his generic cookie-cutter "minimalist" artwork that the internet somehow can't get enough by designing all the covers.

That said I quite enjoyed the story, after being fairly disappointed by Oxenfree I was glad that it did a much better job living up to the hype.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Going on like a twelve hour car ride in 5.5 hours to Alabama where we're staying the night en route to Orlando for the family gathering, no way in hell I'm not pulling a Dragon Quest all-nighter.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Hope you've got a car charger.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Hope you've got a car charger.

My 3DS charger is USB, so it's a non-issue.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
That sounds like hell. Stay safe. Play games.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Playing Ace Attorney 6 in an airport because my flight got canceled and the one I rebooked on is tomorrow morning.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

bloodychill posted:

That sounds like hell. Stay safe. Play games.

On the bright side, I have cool parents who are happy to listen to some podcasts on the way.

Hell, my dad insisted I get some The Adventure Zone Ready. :3:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

On the bright side, I have cool parents who are happy to listen to some podcasts on the way.

Hell, my dad insisted I get some The Adventure Zone Ready. :3:

You're gonna wanna listen to some mcelroy brothers too imo

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I haven't started Bloodborne yet because I'm still too addicted to the Witcher 3. Without advancing past Lilac and Gooseberries in the main quest, I have now found 4 points of power, completed done four side quests, one contract, and three treasure hunts, and I still have like 8 question marks left to visit on my map. My only major problems have been almost getting murdered by a badass bear and that my gear is kind of broken and I don't think the dwarf can fix it, which is going to be an issue soon (I found a way to sneak around the bear, though).

My equipment feels a little overwhelming because I seem to have a million things and none of them do much of anything yet, but there is the giant box in the tavern where I can put stuff? I guess eventually I should look for Yennifer like the game wants me to, but she interrupted my bath in that dream I had, so that jerk can wait!!!

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

FirstAidKite posted:

You're gonna wanna listen to some mcelroy brothers too imo

You should be listening to the Adventure Zone, buddy

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

Going on like a twelve hour car ride in 5.5 hours to Alabama where we're staying the night en route to Orlando for the family gathering, no way in hell I'm not pulling a Dragon Quest all-nighter.

I do a 10 hour ride every year with the family up to Nova Scotia, so I used to think "12, that's no sweat," but those two extra hours, if you aren't stopping somewhere, make a huge loving difference. Best of luck in your Dragon Quest across America.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

You should be listening to the Adventure Zone, buddy

I never said he shouldn't listen to adventure zone.

I just think he should also toss in some my brother, my brother, and me or perhaps some sawbones

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

12 hours is just a loooooooong time. Like, I love my brothers, but by the time we're done with our grand caravan of three brothers and three wives completing our 10 hour journey, we're all sick of any kind of sound that can come out of the car speakers, we hate car snacks, and we rush into the welcoming cloud of mosquitoes outside the cottage like it's the goddamn ritz, and my limited experience has taught me that an extra two hours is basically just hour 10 of that except having your head squeezed by a vice.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I did a twelve hour drive in one sitting as the only driver a few months ago(my roommate's runaway sister was detained in utah and he cant drive)
Nightvale and Xience energy drinks were the only reason i made it.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

FirstAidKite posted:

I just think he should also toss in some my brother, my brother, and me or perhaps some sawbones

Alright. Sounded weird to say "mcelroy brothers too" though

I agree with you anyway

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

chumbler posted:

Playing Ace Attorney 6 in an airport because my flight got canceled and the one I rebooked on is tomorrow morning.

gently caress, my condolences. I've done the "sleep in the airport for the next flight" dance too. At least it was for work and I got paid the whole time but gently caress, I would have rather not done that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

MBMBaM is probably too blue for my mom.

• Locked thread