Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

ratbert90 posted:

They should double the limit of the damage you can do as well then. :colbert:

Give me Final Fantasy Dark Souls :argh:

If you want a jrpg series with difficulty, you're looking for SMT, (shin megami tensei games)

give nocturne a spin.

In general RPGS are like the worst at difficulty, because unlike most genres, difficulty only has 1 answer, grind more. SMT games dodge around that a bit with some combat systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

SectumSempra posted:

Since levels barely effect your stats in this game it would just create enemies that went up in levels exponentially that are miserable to fight.

Like 100K health goblins while you're dealing 9999 a hit because yo still don't have enough AP for breaking damage limits.

The best thing about levels is you gain 3 AP per level up, per bro

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

ROFL Octopus posted:

The best thing about levels is you gain 3 AP per level up, per bro

So it's be roughly 99 levels for 1 999 skill. + 200 leftover for whatever.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

SectumSempra posted:

So it's be roughly 99 levels for 1 999 skill. + 200 leftover for whatever.

If that's how you want to think about it. It's worth it to keep in mind that you have to clear other nodes before reaching the 999 ones. Honestly things are just too expensive in the current system.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The only damage-break skill you really need is the one for Link Strikes but it's still a stupid grind to even get that one.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Apparently holding L1(technique button) after a parry will initiate a link strike.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SectumSempra posted:

In general RPGS are like the worst at difficulty, because unlike most genres, difficulty only has 1 answer, grind more. SMT games dodge around that a bit with some combat systems.

Eh, the problem is more with communicating the options available other than grinding. For example, a boss being vulnerable to a crippling status effect, but most of the rest of the game teaching players that status spells aren't worth the trouble.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Hey should just make the limit breaks cost 333 AP, that's still a reasonable number in the long run.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SectumSempra posted:

If you want a jrpg series with difficulty, you're looking for SMT, (shin megami tensei games)

give nocturne a spin.

This isn't true at all.

There are very few JRPGs that actually need you to grind to advance or in fact for anything but superbosses. It's just that people for a variety of reasons don't use other options available to them and go for the brute force option

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Renoistic posted:

Unicorns, deities and summons don't count. :colbert:

That's not a Unicorn, that's a MADPONY

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

This isn't true at all.

There are very few JRPGs that actually need you to grind to advance or in fact for anything but superbosses. It's just that people for a variety of reasons don't use other options available to them and go for the brute force option

Usually the other options aren't presented as viable, like said here.

Motto posted:

Eh, the problem is more with communicating the options available other than grinding. For example, a boss being vulnerable to a crippling status effect, but most of the rest of the game teaching players that status spells aren't worth the trouble.

And when you slap sidequests on top, unless the boss requires some obtuse gimmick, being overleveled solves the problem.

I still think JRPGs and rpgs in general aren't the right genre to look to for difficulty.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 26, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Which always seemed odd to me. In most games grinding is incredibly tedious, more than enough to put me off compared to just reevaluating my options. The exceptions are weird stuff like The Last Story where a lategame repeatable encounter summoned crazy weak enemies that kept making Zael level for some reason.

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 26, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SectumSempra posted:

Usually the other options aren't presented as viable, like said here

They absolutely are though. Like in most modern RPGs they go out of their way to make it clear when some gimmick is available. They'll throw status-effect-resisting items at you in a dungeon with a boss who inflict status effects or they'll have a simple enemy who shows you a trick for a later enemy.

People assuming nothing will work isn't the same as them not being presented as viable. Final Fantasy XIII is actually a great example here where people refuse to use the Buff/Debuff job classes despite the game literally forcing you to use them for several chapters. Bravely Default literally has boss fights that show you specific combination of jobs and how they function in battle. (And in fact the boss fights also serve as light tutorials for how the class works.) Despite that people will get confused and not use skills that can nullify enemy abilities.

I'm really not exaggerating here when I can't think of many modern JRPGs that actually do what you're saying. It is instead that people assume things are bad without actually trying them out.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I've been getting dialogue about Noctis's love for King's Knight, and I bet he's one of those whales that spends hundreds of dollars to get rare drops. :allears:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
And that's Adamantoise down.

You all know that Ignis thought up that "turtle's all the way down" line like, thirty minutes into fighting the thing, and the thought of getting to drop it after the fight was all that kept him going in the end.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
How do you guys reliably create -aga spells? Is there an easy item for it or do you have to buy the 555 boost skill?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
What's up with the Lestalum no-fly zone? That is so weird, particularly since it's the one destination where travelling as the crow flies would cut a lot of distance off the journey.

Speaking of Lestalum's surroundings though god drat this game is pretty. It's almost photorealistic in places, just more vivid and with ever-so-slightly artificial looking foliage. Probably just a trick of the image filters but it's a good trick nonetheless.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is there anywhere that says how much XP is needed from 1-99? Preferably on a per level table. I'm trying to figure out how much farming I need to finish that up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is there anywhere that says how much XP is needed from 1-99? Preferably on a per level table. I'm trying to figure out how much farming I need to finish that up.

You don't need to farm. Use some Rare Coins to create a set of 5 x99 Expericasts, eat an EXP-boosting food like the Moghan Lasagna, fire off the spells, sleep at the 30,000-gil deluxe room in Altissia's hotel. You'll rocket up 20-25 levels in thirty minutes.

e: and it's even easier now with the Nixperience Band available, since you can just bank EXP for as long as you like before tripling it at Altissia.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I am doing that. Just wanted to see how close the XP I got from it (500k x3) will get me or if it's worth trying to do a few more quests to spare me having to do another rest/30k.

EDIT: gently caress it, I'll just cash in what I have now. 1.5M got the party to 90-92. So I guess I do need a couple more rare coins.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 26, 2016

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

And that's Adamantoise down.

You all know that Ignis thought up that "turtle's all the way down" line like, thirty minutes into fighting the thing, and the thought of getting to drop it after the fight was all that kept him going in the end.

What do you recommend for that fight? I realized that all I have left to do before platinuming this game is that and getting Gladio's survival skill up another two levels. Right now I'm level 60 and just beat Costlemark, but the last time I tried killing that turtle it just ended up with me chugging potions and not making much headway. Any advice?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Soysaucebeast posted:

What do you recommend for that fight? I realized that all I have left to do before platinuming this game is that and getting Gladio's survival skill up another two levels. Right now I'm level 60 and just beat Costlemark, but the last time I tried killing that turtle it just ended up with me chugging potions and not making much headway. Any advice?

I was level 99, with the daggers you get from beating the last Legendary Blacksmith monster. It really just consisted of me alternating between Warp Strikes on its eye, Overwhelm/Bow of the Clever spam on its feet, and Armiger whenever I could bust it out. Even with the buff you get from eating that one Platinum Myrltrout dish it took me around an hour to finish the thing. Very, very dull. The thing is that it's got 5 million HP but almost no way of actually hurting you besides half-heartedly wagging its limbs around, so you're barely even engaged for the whole fight.

There was one neat animation where I parried its head-slam and the entire team joined in on the riposte, warping to the top of its shell to strike it on the back of the head, but I have no idea what triggered that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I just beat Adamantoise. It took an hour and a half. It was incredibly loving boring and I don't think I was ever in any danger but hey got that done.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
It would be cool if this game didn't look like a ps3 era game with vasoline smeared over a 720p render running at 27fps. Is this every version or just XB1?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Nuts and Gum posted:

It would be cool if this game didn't look like a ps3 era game with vasoline smeared over a 720p render running at 27fps. Is this every version or just XB1?

Just XB1

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

PunkBoy posted:

I've been getting dialogue about Noctis's love for King's Knight, and I bet he's one of those whales that spends hundreds of dollars to get rare drops. :allears:
'-And King Noctis' new tax hike caused riots in the streets today, and was quoted as saying, 'gently caress y'all, I need those six-stars.' without even looking up from his phone....'

A royal kingdom bankrupted by a obsession with microtransactions. Activision might want to take note. :lol:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
My wife got me this for Christmas. Really enjoying it so far. The combat is fun and I really Noctis and Bros just broing out doing bro things like camping and fishing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Quickest way to beat Adamantoise is this strategy. Lets you kill him in around 8 minutes.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Why does it always cost the same amount of money to refuel your car no matter how much is still left in the tank? It doesn't make any sense.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Oxxidation posted:

You don't need to farm. Use some Rare Coins to create a set of 5 x99 Expericasts, eat an EXP-boosting food like the Moghan Lasagna, fire off the spells, sleep at the 30,000-gil deluxe room in Altissia's hotel. You'll rocket up 20-25 levels in thirty minutes.

You're kidding me :suicide:

Any tips where you can find more of them?

Edit: Unrelated question: that scene with Luna healing people, which never gets referenced again. Is she doing the same thing Mr. Fedora did before he became too curropted?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 26, 2016

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Renoistic posted:

You're kidding me :suicide:

Any tips where you can find more of them?

Edit: Unrelated question: that scene with Luna healing people, which never gets referenced again. Is she doing the same thing Mr. Fedora did before he became too curropted?

The oracle's duties are mentioned several times especially in radio broadcasts and news articles.

And no, it's very unlikely it's the same thing. Ardyn was corrupted and rejected by the Astrals and the crystal itself because of it. Luna is a servant of gods and shows no signs of corruption. Ardyn most likely used a more potent and definitive method of absorbing daemons at the expense of his humanity

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 26, 2016

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Why does it always cost the same amount of money to refuel your car no matter how much is still left in the tank? It doesn't make any sense.

Maybe it's a service cost and not a resource cost. Like, gas is a flat rate because all you need is a machine that converts, I dunno, the air around it into free and non-pollutant fuel.

Or maybe FFXV economics just don't make sense. 800 gil for a soft drink? Talk about a rip off.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

andipossess posted:

Maybe it's a service cost and not a resource cost. Like, gas is a flat rate because all you need is a machine that converts, I dunno, the air around it into free and non-pollutant fuel.

Or maybe FFXV economics just don't make sense. 800 gil for a soft drink? Talk about a rip off.

What's a gil?

Question: Do you get AP for leveling up?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

WaltherFeng posted:

Yep, it's a pretty good source.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

andipossess posted:

hosed up we never get to find out if the FF15 world has a Life Hacks-like full of terrible ideas. Dip a golden needle in a mixture of a potion, smelling salts, and insect venom for a cheap, easy to make remedy substitute.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

What's a gil?

Now, I'm imagining that the only reason things have such weird prices is because our boy troupe doesn't have any idea about how gil works. The only reason gas is so cheap is because there's no one there to rip them off. I'm also imagining that Hi-Potions and Hi-Elixirs are literally just a double helping of their regular counterparts and that the gang is well on their way to diabetes.

Also, Re:AP, I think leveling up is actually your primary source of AP in a regular playthrough of the game, which means lots of grinding with Warp Strike kills if you want to do a low-level run.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

The oracle's duties are mentioned several times especially in radio broadcasts and news articles.

And no, it's very unlikely it's the same thing. Ardyn was corrupted and rejected by the Astrals and the crystal itself because of it. Luna is a servant of gods and shows no signs of corruption. Ardyn most likely used a more potent and definitive method of absorbing daemons at the expense of his humanity

Or it could be a refinement of the technique, I mean ardyn got immortality and the oracles die young, perhaps that's how they got around the corruption

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

WaltherFeng posted:

3 AP per level up, per character

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

man nurse posted:

Yeah Witcher 3 has phenomenal writing and every quest is varied. I can't recommend that game highly enough, especially if you're enjoying this.

I really want to trust you when you say this, because I want to enjoy a Witcher game, but I've been burned twice before. So I ask you, in all seriousness, if I buy The Witcher 3- keeping in mind I went in enthusiastic but did not enjoy the first two- will I enjoy it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The big thing Witcher 3 does over the previous two is that the combat isn't a total mess

• Locked thread