Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Watching a stream now of a guy playing in the PU on 2.6. Connection wise it seems pretty stable there have been no crashes. There is a ton of graphical jank though lots of flickering and in the asteroid field there are weird black bars almost like there are invisible cockpit canopy struts blocking segments of the exterior from sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Madcosby posted:

If you were a greenie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btWobQsGcS4

If i were a greenie,
And you were a Warlord,
Would you whisper me CIG leaks?
Would you post me missives?

If a leaker were my trade
Would you still find me,
Publishin' the leaks I made,
Followin' behind me.

Save my leaks through blogposts,
Save my leaks for SA,
I'm given you my insider info,
Write your blog tomorrow.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Amarcarts posted:

Watching a stream now of a guy playing in the PU on 2.6. Connection wise it seems pretty stable there have been no crashes. There is a ton of graphical jank though lots of flickering and in the asteroid field there are weird black bars almost like there are invisible cockpit canopy struts blocking segments of the exterior from sight.

The sad part is honestly switching over to Amazon's netcode will probably help Star Citizen lmao

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nothing can help Star Citizen.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
The main thing they need to refactor is the ceo.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Rocksicles posted:

We allowed to say anything positive in here?

Because i loving love the new patch.

Assuming we're talking about Star Citizen 2.6, what about it?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

The sad part is honestly switching over to Amazon's netcode will probably help Star Citizen lmao

It's pretty much the first thing Amazon did.
Beta 1.0 - CryNetwork is removed

Though Amazon's networking was one of the things that they left out of ~~StarEngine. They couldn't have been working on CryNetwork improvements if they threw out CryNetwork...
:gary:

Also in Lumberyard 1.0:
- Added the outputs IsInWater and IsHeadUnderWater for the node ActorSensor.

They knew.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Merry Christmas, thread peeps. :)

I hope everybody is having a fun and safe holiday season.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Has anyone said ThumberYard yet?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
:v:: Hey check out this new iteration of CryEngine Amazon is building on... oh poo poo, here comes Chris. Quick, change your screens to your hat models guys!

:homebrew:: Hey guys... how's that thing coming along with the thing..! Is that Amazon?

:v:: Uh... yeah. AWS console.

:homebrew:: With CryEngine?

:v:: Uh... yeah.

:homebrew:: Does it connect to AWS?

:v:: Yeah, I mean, I think so...

:homebrew:: With network code built in?

:v:: Yesh, but it's

:homebrew:: This is it! This is the answer! This will save us! Amazon already built the scaling network integration! We just spool up more cloud things and they do the mesh!

:v:: it's not quite like

:homebrew:: How did you get access to this??!!!

:v:: I uh, sign up through their webpage for the beta...

:homebrew:: Oh! Beta! And we're in perpetual alpha! It's like, it's like they're partnering with us!

:v:: Well anybody can

:homebrew:: It's a loving partnership! Oh yes! Go tell the engine guys! We're partnering with Amazon! Somebody get Swofford on the phone!! I can't believe it! Amazon wants me! Me!! Amazon! I'm coming, Amazon! I'm coming!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Merry Christmas, thread peeps. :)

I hope everybody is having a fun and safe holiday season.

I've heard, from people who have gone down on you, you are full of crabs, is it true?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beet Wagon posted:

Can you imagine if Star Citizen came out?

Derek - stop typing. You're already typing your reply and I'm asking you, just this once, to stop. Give me this - it's Christmas after all.

Imagine it comes out, and it's EVERYTHING the backers want.

It will be full of :smug: and epic TOLD YOU SO DEREK SHART all over the internet. It will be the blowback of the millenium, and the backers will be convinced of vindication and ultimate victory over EVIL GOONS.

It will also be the shortest lived victory in gaming history. As the final note of their victory song fades, the last thing that they will see is shadow as our Auroras blot out the sun. Then the real game begins.

The only thing better for goons than Star Citizen's failure is its success.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

happy holidays goons and call your parents

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Even though it was hilarious, what the latest Engine related news proved is that no-one has any secret sources worth jack poo poo. There are no legit insiders in this thread.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Daztek posted:

Merry Chrismas, fellow lumberjacks

Merry Xmas Star Lumberjerks

:mad:

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

one thing I truly love about CIG is that they just keep on giving

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
So, my take on the move to LY:

What they say about both LY and StarEngine starting at the same Cryengine version making the patch in lumberyard easy isn't exactly far fetched if they really started out at the same exact version and all. But the main point of such a switch would be to take in all new engine bug fixes and features from the engine maintainers. So what we have here (in theory) is a severely modified LY that will probably start receiving a huge influx of modifications from amazon. Any new code changes from amazon, no matter how small they are, will be a nightmare to merge into StarEngine-LY that is several commits ahead. And they would have to keep doing nightmarish merges extremely often to keep compatibility with the LY features provided by amazon. And of course since CIG is CIG they will probably still need more engine changes themselves. I fail to see how this wouldn't be extremely counter productive in any possible case.

I don't understand why they couldn't just keep using their current engine and stick with it to the bitter end now. A move like this isn't something you would take this lightly.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the fact that every single AWS product starts out really bad on release and gets better with time. Even when they release something that would completely solve one of my problems, I still wait from 6 months to a year until it's barely usable to see if it's actually worth it. Using something from AWS that's in beta is insanity.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 26, 2016

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Gravity_Storm posted:

Even though it was hilarious, what the latest Engine related news proved is that no-one has any secret sources worth jack poo poo. There are no legit insiders in this thread.

Have you heard about the toast with many aliases?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

:lol::lol::lol:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

Can you imagine if Star Citizen came out?

Derek - stop typing. You're already typing your reply and I'm asking you, just this once, to stop. Give me this - it's Christmas after all.

Imagine it comes out, and it's EVERYTHING the backers want.

It will be full of :smug: and epic TOLD YOU SO DEREK SHART all over the internet. It will be the blowback of the millenium, and the backers will be convinced of vindication and ultimate victory over EVIL GOONS.

It will also be the shortest lived victory in gaming history. As the final note of their victory song fades, the last thing that they will see is shadow as our Auroras blot out the sun. Then the real game begins.

I still very much hope this happens, and routinely tell my friend that when he talks about me "killing Star Citizen" haha. The funniest of all timelines is the one where the game loving comes out and we all go poo poo on nerds fulltime.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

StarLumberEngineYard! SLEY!!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

It's like the abyss head thing. uncanny.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

:v:: Hey check out this new iteration of CryEngine Amazon is building on... oh poo poo, here comes Chris. Quick, change your screens to your hat models guys!

:homebrew:: Hey guys... how's that thing coming along with the thing..! Is that Amazon?

:v:: Uh... yeah. AWS console.

:homebrew:: With CryEngine?

:v:: Uh... yeah.

:homebrew:: Does it connect to AWS?

:v:: Yeah, I mean, I think so...

:homebrew:: With network code built in?

:v:: Yesh, but it's

:homebrew:: This is it! This is the answer! This will save us! Amazon already built the scaling network integration! We just spool up more cloud things and they do the mesh!

:v:: it's not quite like

:homebrew:: How did you get access to this??!!!

:v:: I uh, sign up through their webpage for the beta...

:homebrew:: Oh! Beta! And we're in perpetual alpha! It's like, it's like they're partnering with us!

:v:: Well anybody can

:homebrew:: It's a loving partnership! Oh yes! Go tell the engine guys! We're partnering with Amazon! Somebody get Swofford on the phone!! I can't believe it! Amazon wants me! Me!! Amazon! I'm coming, Amazon! I'm coming!

Alright that was hilarious. :roflolmao:

The_Groove
Mar 15, 2003

Supersonic compressible convection in the sun
can't tell if they've been LYing this whole time but they seem very commited to LYing all next year, so my advice to management is keep doing what you're doing

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
That's him, in the lumberyard.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
i love all the fighting over lumberyard.

I've tried to figure out the simplest possible way to put it since people, even in this thread, are getting caught up on it being the same base version of cryengine.

But it's more fun to watch people not understand game development. This is like the airplane/treadmill or .999 = 1 argument or any basic disagreement on basic physics all over again.

Sorry guys, doesn't matter if it's the same base of cryengine, later changes do work retroactively and anything unique to lumberyard isn't magically not an issue because they both originated from the same engine. I guess backers have trouble with this kind of thought process since they have paid $140,000,000 so far for CIG to design from the top down so why would this be any different?

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

You won't even need to hop in your Aurora. When the Star Citizens were dreaming about that ship sale event being in game one of the biggest concerns was people jumping around like idiots. Just running around the safe zones being stupid is going to ruin a large portion of Star Citizens super serious sci-fi space simulation fidelity dream.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
It's Schrodinger's engine where starengine is both 50% rewritten over the course of several years to a brilliant technical specification which will now allow them to add the best gameplay features ever any time now which is why it's been totally justified in terms of how long we've been waiting for something tangible to actually come out, and close enough to a stock engine that a port doesn't impact the timeframe at all.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ultimately all the changes to engines and custom things dont change the game sucking colossal balls. the proof is in the pudding and this pudding is poo poo

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Breetai posted:

It's Schrodinger's engine where starengine is both 50% rewritten over the course of several years to a brilliant technical specification which will now allow them to add the best gameplay features ever any time now which is why it's been totally justified in terms of how long we've been waiting for something tangible to actually come out, and close enough to a stock engine that a port doesn't impact the timeframe at all.

this sounds like derek smart thinking citizen

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
You cannot park a freelancer in a caterpillar, it will make the owner upset if you try.

You cannot park a sabre in a caterpillar, it will make the owner upset if you try.

You cannot park a hornet in a caterpillar, it will make the owner upset if you try.

You CAN fly an 85x into a caterpillar but it spazzes out when you try to land, exploding the caterpillar and you.

I had a fun couple of hours and im pretty sure everyone on that server hates me now.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Breetai posted:

Theseus Game Engine anyone?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Nothing about the LY thing makes sense. Merging is a nightmare. You fix one thing that was broken by the incoming changes, and that breaks something else and so on. For months. This is for little things. A whole engine? Get hosed. They either haven't done it or spent the whole last year trying and this month is the first time they were able to successfully build.

That, or they haven't actually done any real work on the gameplay and they are still using stock cryengine poo poo to this year. But if that were the case, why is it so broken? Cryengine does FPS and cars and poo poo out of the box. I dunno.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Maybe if Theseus refactored his ship instead of replacing parts it wouldn't be as paradoxical.

Triaconter development 3.0

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Build three games and then merge them together. It will be more efficient.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The JSF of game development.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Kosumo posted:

As a friend I would ask you not to take Chris at his word .... The guy lies all the time. All the time. Like, very often.

Announcing Star Citizen sales days is always truth, tho :nsa:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gravity_Storm posted:

To be fair it would have sounded incredibly far fetched if an engine change was leaked

Also considering the amazing lack of communication at cig (remember the "someone forgot to tell someone that this ship is a two seater instead of one") I honestly don't think most of the staff knew

Either way, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

I hope you all had a wonderful christmas with your friends and family.