Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Hexes and Translocations and Summoning and Necromancy and Transmutations and Charms are all schools that are especially beneficial to hybrids and they are all schools where Tengu and High elves have a three point gap in aptitudes (four for charms!)

Saying they're similar species because they can both be hybrids is missing the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

IronicDongz posted:

yes, but both are hybrids

you can play and win as 'pure' summoner/necro(or summoner/neco+conj), or you can go a bit heavier armor+more melee skill and fight alongside your allies more. this is a hybrid build in any definition that isn't unreasonably narrow, hybrid means "you invest a significant amount in both magic and non-magic to kill things"

Okay sure but Tengu and High Elves still play pretty differently as a result.

I didn't really care about MD or sludge elves or whatever, but HE is a weird removal. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Whatever, as long as it's not another "crawl is too easy, making crawl harder" change I'll take it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Turn Deep Elves into Astral Slugs, bring back High Elves but rename them to Sludge Elves, re-balance and re-implement Singularity.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i feel like someone's saying something about a spell... a high level spell? a translocations spell? god, it's like one of those high-pitched noises right at the edge of hearing... just wish i could tell what they were saying!

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

A super version of gells/beckoning that pulls everything in sight to the player and does damage based on the distance and number of enemies pulled. Combo it with disjunction!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I was talking about a hybrid more from the point of someone that augments there offense with support spells and buffs. Technically anyone who casts magic and also uses a melee is a hybrid but that contains a bunch of different playstyles. It was a poor choice of words on my part.

I wasn't trying to argue about what kind of playstyle is better or something anyways. What matters is that with the way their apts are set up, a high elf will play a lot differently than a tengu.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Tengu is "Reaver: The Race"

(remember reavers?)

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Internet Kraken posted:

I was talking about a hybrid more from the point of someone that augments there offense with support spells and buffs. Technically anyone who casts magic and also uses a melee is a hybrid but that contains a bunch of different playstyles. It was a poor choice of words on my part.

I wasn't trying to argue about what kind of playstyle is better or something anyways. What matters is that with the way their apts are set up, a high elf will play a lot differently than a tengu.

No. You used the word 'hybrid' correctly. They are the ones with a weird definition that includes minion-spammers and quasi-blasters not just self-buffers.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
skalds, crusaders, and reavers can all legitimately be described as 'hybrids', imo, but that doesn't really matter. if the people having a discussion are using different definitions of words, it doesn't really matter who's 'right'; not much useful conversation is going on regardless!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Okay well if outlining the clear differences between two races isn't useful for discussion then I guess I'm not sure what you guys want for feedback. Unless you just want us to agree with every single dev change.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Remember, Tengu's might&magic mixing is known as Reavers; it's so distinctive that the Tengu monsters have it as their theme, and so lovely for player characters to attempt that the Reaver starting background was axed and even the most rabid anti-content-cutters [raises own hand] nodded in agreement.

Now, if this was given an excuse to introduce some new Conjuration spells that synergize with melee (like a battlesphere and spectral weapon glued together), and also magically fix the hybrid-buff situation, I'd think we'd all be happy. Wishes ,wishes...

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

PleasingFungus posted:

skalds, crusaders, and reavers can all legitimately be described as 'hybrids', imo, but that doesn't really matter. if the people having a discussion are using different definitions of words, it doesn't really matter who's 'right'; not much useful conversation is going on regardless!

I think the discussion can exist and has good points; both parties defined 'hybrid' and sure, their definitions are different but regardless of what you define as 'hybrid', the argument is essentially that "HE and Tengu feel appreciably different to play" (Internet Kraken can correct me on this if this wasn't the point). You can agree or disagree on this, the 'hybrid' bikeshedding doesn't destroy the discussion!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Okay well if outlining the clear differences between two races isn't useful for discussion then I guess I'm not sure what you guys want for feedback. Unless you just want us to agree with every single dev change.

you're misunderstanding me. you've persuaded me that there is some reasonable difference between he and te; what i was saying was that whether or not they were both classed as 'hybrids' is beside the point.

Serephina posted:

Remember, Tengu's might&magic mixing is known as Reavers; it's so distinctive that the Tengu monsters have it as their theme, and so lovely for player characters to attempt that the Reaver starting background was axed and even the most rabid anti-content-cutters [raises own hand] nodded in agreement.

actually, it's extremely good and fun. maybe not as a start (i wasn't playing back when actual reavers existed - though arguably Wz fills a similar role?), but as a playstyle from maybe midgame on, it's perfectly viable. try it out sometime!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Speleothing posted:

No. You used the word 'hybrid' correctly. They are the ones with a weird definition that includes minion-spammers and quasi-blasters not just self-buffers.
Why would the word 'hybrid' in this context mean anything but "a hybrid of non-magic and magic skills"? (also, who said anything about "spamming" allies? I made a point of mentioning that pure summoners and summoning hybrids who fight in melee alongside their summons are different.)
Why would it mean "a hybrid of non-magic and magic skills, but only these specific magic skills(charms, transmutations, translocations, hexes) and not these other magic skills(summoning, necromancy, conjurations) which don't count because I say so"?

sorry to ice elementalists which people have described for literal years as "a really good hybrid start", you are not a hybrid start anymore unless you only learn ozo's and not throw icicle and summon ice beasts it seems

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 24, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Boy it sure is fun that I got contaminated by hell effects three times in Cocytus alone! And only had one potion of cure mut and cancelation over the entire game! I guess if this blurry vision gets me killed it was somehow my fault for not being able to swing the RNG in my favor! :thumbsup:

EDIT: This was a disaster.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/InternetKraken/morgue-InternetKraken-20161224-072546.txt

So I thought this game was going well but things went terribly when I tried to do Hell. I never found a book with regeneration the whole game. This is a problem because trying to rest up in Hell without a source of regen takes way to loving long. I was barely able to progress and was regularly stuck sitting in a corridor for hundreds of turns trying to regen HP when enemies and torments kept getting dropped on me.

At this point I'm thinking "what the hell can I do about this?". Well I wasn't really getting much out of Kiku since the nature of Hell means you can't really keep a corpse army rolling with you. Without regen I simply wasn't able to make progress. So then I got the "brilliant" idea to drop Kiku for TSO. Yes, that would mean my massive necromancy investment would be wasted. But the free rN+! The health on kills! And what really tempted me was the allure of being able to brand my triple crossbow with holy. I was running around with an unbranded one because the game didn't spawn any brand weapon scrolls.

Well that was pretty dumb because without Kiku torment protection I was taking way more damage. TSO health on kills wasn't as strong as I remembered. I burned up pretty much all my supplies in Hell trying to get the bone rune. At that point I'm looking at my character and asking myself if I really wanted to try doing Hell with no healing, no reliable escape (thanks blurry vision!), and a bunch of wasted exp thanks to a dumb decision?

The answer was no so I just went to Zot and ascended instead. First time in ages I've failed at extended but its better than getting killed I guess. That's how you end up as a TSO worshipper with a necromancy title! :dawkins101:

EDIT 2: I just noticed I don't have the golden rune despite clearing Tomb so no idea what happened there. Never forgotten to pick up the bloody rune before.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 24, 2016

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I can easily understand how someone could be so mentally stunned by going through tomb that you could forgot to pick up the rune.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 24, 2016

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

So how about that singularity spell?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

For my next run I am going to be a Human, Zin worshipper, and focus primarily on summons and hexes. My motivation is that everyone sucks but me and everyone should fight each other while I recite bible verses at them.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
That sounds miserable.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Discord will make my summons go crazy too right? That is the end goal.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Discord will make my summons go crazy too right? That is the end goal.

I don't know if Discord counts as ally harm, but if it does Zin will get pissy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The only way I can gets casters off the ground is by starting as a fighter.
Game so much harder with no AC.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

euphronius posted:

The only way I can gets casters off the ground is by starting as a fighter.
Game so much harder with no AC.

Stealth is consistently on-par with heavy armor pre-lair. Losing those starting two pips means giving up the ability to freely walk away from things you don't want to fight.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Ah the minus 7 cloak of defence +regen

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Microcline posted:

Stealth is consistently on-par with heavy armor pre-lair. Losing those starting two pips means giving up the ability to freely walk away from things you don't want to fight.

That's just getting yourself behind on the XP curve, which is even deadlier for casters.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just had a great run I hosed up by going into the ossuary with low health trying to beat the timeout and getting double teamed by mummies in the small, trap heavy ossuary layout. I could have taken the portal out but I decided to blow most of my consumables trying to kill the mummies. I got them in the end but had no more healing or teleports for the later dungeon which eventually killed me.

It was worth it for that mummy fight though, white knuckle all the way through

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Just lost a pretty awesome Cheibriados ghoul in hell thanks to underestimating Ereshkigal.
https://crawl.jorgrun.rocks/morgue/LordSloth/morgue-LordSloth-20161224-211839.txt

I haven't had many undead in hell, so I didn't think of the fact that she had silence... and a poo poo ton of tzitzimitl with nothing better to do than cast Dispel Undead. Went down crazily fast.
Another scary moment in Dis: An iron giant comes into view. It is wielding a dire flail of holy wrath. The iron giant hits you with a dire flail of holy wrath!!! You convulse!!!

pre:
Health: -13/260    AC: 48    Str: 39    XL:     27
Magic:  38/38      EV: 22    Int: 30    God:    Cheibriados [******]
Gold:   4296       SH:  8    Dex: 30    Spells: 12 memorised, 2 levels left

rFire  + . .      SeeInvis +      - Unarmed
rCold  + + .      Gourm    .    T - +8 gold dragon scales
rNeg   + + +      Faith    .    (no shield)
rPois  ∞          Spirit   .    z - +2 helmet {Int+3}
rElec  .          Reflect  +    f - +2 cloak {MR+}
rCorr  +          Harm     .    k - +3 pair of gauntlets of War {Slay+5}
MR     +++..                    t - +0 pair of boots of Elyvilon's Pride {rCorr Int+2}
Stlth  +.........               o - brooch of Shielding {Reflect SH+8}
                                G - ring of see invisible
                                X - ring of Zaph {AC+3 Slay+5}

b - the +1 arbalest "Seggoirgh" {elec, rF+ rC+}
   (You found it on level 5 of the Pits of Slime)   
 c - the +6 arbalest "Damnation" {damnation}
   (You found it in a treasure trove)
 e - the +4 staff of Dispater
   (You took it off Dispater on level 7 of the Iron City of Dis)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Didn't Crawl used to have seasonal xmas tiles? Or was that only a setting on web tiles

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think it was just Cocytus & Anteus.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
It was a patch that some devs would manually apply around christmastime, and then manually revert a few weeks later, when they remembered to. No one got around to it this year... sad!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PleasingFungus posted:

It was a patch that some devs would manually apply around christmastime, and then manually revert a few weeks later, when they remembered to. No one got around to it this year... sad!

There's still time for you to push a christmas patch! Be an agent of the christmas spirit

Also, as a special christmas present, re-insert High Elves and rename them "Santa's Elves"

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

The elemental staff is quite good.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Speleothing posted:

That's just getting yourself behind on the XP curve, which is even deadlier for casters.

Nope! The food clock is usually so lax (piety might be the more important timer), you can go back and clear it later, as I usually do with level annotations.

In particular I often take stealth to three skill before turning it off about half the time. Even if you kill everything, getting to choose to attack from a more advantageous range is nice, either by luring with shouting, taking another approach, or just clearing trash from adjacent rooms first.

Of course I often also just ignore stealth depending on what kind of caster I'm playing... But to the poster who mentioned fighter starts and AC- try a Draconian, you might be pleased.

For clarity's sake, I almost never play wizard, one of the most highly recommend starts and they definitely have more skills to train and a very noisy fart cloud.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 26, 2016

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I'm gonna say wizards are bad. Pick them only if you want to make a mostly melee hybrid that uses mephetic cloud. They're lousy for blaster starts and mediocre for hybrid starts. The only thing wizard has for it is four different okay support spells (that all use different schools) from other starts all bundled together, so if you really can't decide on any focus until after you've found your first altar wizard is for you.

Imo for people new to casting Cj and FE are better blaster starts and Ne & IE are better hybrid starts.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Wizards are actually too fun and deserve death in 0.20

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Wizards are inspired by Lord of the Rings and overlap with Tengu. Thus they must be cut.

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't

brainwrinkle posted:

Wizards are inspired by Lord of the Rings and overlap with Tengu. Thus they must be cut.
This is impeccable logic. I'll do what I can.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wizards are one of the best starts if your species doesn't have negative apts in the schools they dabble in. The book of minor magic contains some of the most useful spells for the early game. Between meph cloud and conjure flame you will be able to handle pretty much anything.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Shadow creatures + zin + pan scumming = 2ez

Shadow creatures just dumps daevas on you it is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

dpeg posted:

This is impeccable logic. I'll do what I can.

Could you also do something about those terrible tolkienesque named artifact weapons? Actually, how about axing the entire game since its about a quest that centers around a powerful, nigh indestructible arcane item created by an unimaginably powerful wizard?

edit: Back when the orb was actually an item, could it be destroyed by dropping it in lava?

Carcer fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 26, 2016

• Locked thread