Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The latest Chapo Trap House premium episode had the tale of August Wilich, gay communist Civil War general, whose men were the ones who took Missionary Ridge at Chattanooga, Asides from probably annoying the hell out of baloogan I want to get UGCW now. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Is baloogan not down with the dirtbag left? I hope someone publically shames him.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I really want a modern politics wargame, something like Victora II but set in the modern day.

Invest in propaganda technology -like Russia has for generations- and reap the information supremacy on the internet!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baloogan posted:

I really want a modern politics wargame, something like Victora II but set in the modern day.

Invest in propaganda technology -like Russia has for generations- and reap the information supremacy on the internet!

If a Russian player installed Trump in the US everyone would claim the game was broken and demand a patch.

(someone pls patch reality)

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
merry christmas grogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Baloogan was all gung ho for Trump until he refused to badmouth Putin. Somehow this was a bridge too far for our Canadian friend and he had a complete meltdown per it.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
we all have our own reasons why trump shouldn't be president :/ mine just has to do with him looking into a news camera and asking putin to hack the democratic party haha

i do look forward to cmano scenarios that have trump as president. Almost anything is possible now...

just look at these surreal tweets....

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/811977223326625792

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/812061677160202240

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Baloogan posted:

I want a Victoria II style game, with focus on political and economic stuff.

Any major power war results in a game over screen like Balance of Power, as you either die in a nuclear blast or get ousted from government.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So you want Victoria II?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Forums Terrorist posted:

The latest Chapo Trap House premium episode had the tale of August Wilich, gay communist Civil War general, whose men were the ones who took Missionary Ridge at Chattanooga, Asides from probably annoying the hell out of baloogan I want to get UGCW now. :v:

Okay, so he's an artillery officer and had an army career, but is he a tactician, strategist or logistician?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

holy poo poo

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I like Trump's attitude, it's all about making a deal. Lockheed are offering an F35, he counter offers an F18, they'll probably settle on an F28, that's 20% off, good deal for the USA!

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Large portions of the DC crowd have been talking about spending a poo poo load on new nukes for a couple years now so it shouldn't be that big a surprise. They will be just as useless as the old nukes.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Don't worry, he actually meant that the us should strengthen its nuclear non-proliferation stance. Being the ' I make up stuff bout what Trump tweets' media guy must be a great job

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

uPen posted:

Don't worry, he actually meant that the us should strengthen its nuclear non-proliferation stance. Being the ' I make up stuff bout what Trump tweets' media guy must be a great job

Then someone should tell him to hire an editor who can write "unclear, revise" or "missing words?" in his tweet drafts. Because as is, that tweet looks like it's missing a word or two between "nuclear" and "capability" to get that meaning--something like "proliferation control" or "watchdog" would work.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
We're just readin' the tweets, not his staff's damage control.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Supposedly Trump was asking why we couldn't just nuke Daesh in his security briefings prior to the election so we all know exactly what he meant.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

1stGear posted:

Supposedly Trump was asking why we couldn't just nuke Daesh in his security briefings prior to the election so we all know exactly what he meant.

I wanna be the guy who tries to give him the 'Proportional Response' speech from the West Wing.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
The west wing lost hillary the election and it rules.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Are there any good games about naval combat in the pacific operational/strategic that aren't war in the pacific? I got my dad shattered sword for christmas and now his interest is picqued.

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

Baloogan posted:

Not sure what Power & Revolution (Geopolitical simulator 4) is worth nowadays but the first one was both horrible and allowing you to do more things than most games around
The only thing I am sure is that it must be buggy

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Stairmaster posted:

Are there any good games about naval combat in the pacific operational/strategic that aren't war in the pacific? I got my dad shattered sword for christmas and now his interest is picqued.

CMANO? Not WW2 though but the opportunities for Pacific war are boundless there.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hunterhr posted:

I wanna be the guy who tries to give him the 'Proportional Response' speech from the West Wing.

It's totally a hack scene though. Bartlett asks for a disproportionate response and gets given Plan Maximum War Crimes instead of an actual large scale military response so the show can duck resolving the actual question.

So many times in the West Wing Sorkin's sock puppets actually lose the argument and then the show skips past it so that nobody notices.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
And *thats* why donald trump won.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
*drinks champaign*

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

D...drat!!!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
can't yall just feel the amazing wargames that will come out after we rebuild civilization after a nuclear exchange? history books will have tweets as primary resources!! what a glorious time to be a wargamer!!! merry christmas! !!!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
But, but...I like keeping my wargames on the boards and on the monitors :smith:

H. G. Wells, Little Wars, Ending with a Sort of Challenge posted:

And if I might for a moment trumpet! How much better is this amiable miniature than the Real Thing! Here is a homeopathic remedy for the imaginative strategist. Here is the premeditation, the thrill, the strain of accumulating victory or disaster—and no smashed nor sanguinary bodies, no shattered fine buildings nor devastated country sides, no petty cruelties, none of that awful universal boredom and embitterment, that tiresome delay or stoppage or embarrassment of every gracious, bold, sweet, and charming thing, that we who are old enough to remember a real modern war know to be the reality of belligerence. This world is for ample living; we want security and freedom; all of us in every country, except a few dull-witted, energetic bores, want to see the manhood of the world at something better than apeing the little lead toys our children buy in boxes. We want fine things made for mankind—splendid cities, open ways, more knowledge and power, and more and more and more—and so I offer my game, for a particular as well as a general end; and let us put this prancing monarch and that silly scare-monger, and these excitable "patriots," and those adventurers, and all the practitioners of Welt Politik, into one vast Temple of War, with cork carpets everywhere, and plenty of little trees and little houses to knock down, and cities and fortresses, and unlimited soldiers—tons, cellars-full—and let them lead their own lives there away from us.

My game is just as good as their game, and saner by reason of its size. Here is War, done down to rational proportions, and yet out of the way of mankind, even as our fathers turned human sacrifices into the eating of little images and symbolic mouthfuls... You have only to play at Little Wars three or four times to realise just what a blundering thing Great War must be.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I'm drinking whiskey and simulating the reign of our God Emperor Trump in CMANO right now guys. Merry Christmas!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Drone posted:

CMANO? Not WW2 though but the opportunities for Pacific war are boundless there.

this is probably the right answer but I don't think his computer could run it.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
the minimum reqirements for cmano are aabsulrdly low lamo if ya motherfuckers can't fit 20,000 unit world war 3 scenarsios wtih at least 4x carrier groups executing attacks against full detail airbases across the entire world i don't even know what you are doing lamo just loving lamo

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
merry loving christmas groooooooooooooooooooooooooogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Same to you, B'loog. Keep on 'narding.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Stairmaster posted:

Carriers At War?

You might also want to look for an old game called Carrier Strike, if you're willing to go through the hoops of setting up a DOSBOX for it.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Also, (I can't believe I didn't put this together before) SMS Scharnhorst was Admiral Spee's flagship at the Falklands, and he went down with her.

I'm guessing this isn't a case of "reused assets," but a memorial to Spee and the SMS Scharnhorst.

Whether this was real, or is another of Wargaming's premium ship easter eggs is another question I don't have the answer to.

Edit

Wrong thread!

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 26, 2016

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Baloogan posted:

merry loving christmas groooooooooooooooooooooooooogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

man UG:CW is totally kicking my rear end

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I dug out Panzer Battles Normandy tonight because it apparently it got a rather large patch last month, and man there sure are a lot of counters in that game. Anyone own it or Kursk and want to PBEM?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Combat Mission got an engine update. I haven't picked it up yet (I know I will). It's $10 per game, or $25 to update them all.

quote:

At long last, Combat Mission moves from Game Engine 3 to Game Engine 4! In the Store you will find Upgrades for CMBN, CMRT, CMBS, and CMFB. CMFI's needs a little more time in the oven, but it will be along shortly.

After we have a little time to recover there will be a central page of information about Game Engine 4. For now just visit one of the supported CM Families in the Battlefront Store and look for the various Upgrade options. The details are there for your viewing pleasure.

We offer a bunch of different purchase options, including product specific Upgrade 4 installers, specials for both Upgrade 3 and Upgrade 4 (where applicable), and the Upgrade mega pack with all 5 Families covered (including CMFI). It was a last minute rush of minutia to get them out to you, so enjoy!

Also know that CMBN, CMRT, CMBS, and CMFB Base Games and Base Game Bundles are all using Game Engine 4 now. CMFI, once we get some details ironed out, will also be at Game Engine 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Remember how if you wanted to play the old combat mission games on Windows Vista you had to pay an extra $10 for a patch?

:laffo:

What a company.