Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Pilsner posted:

You did "fungi kiting" to kill him? drat.

Fungi regen while running far enough away from him to get off a bind wound. If I wasn't being so sloppy, I could have killed him in closer to 2 hours, which is still super retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Some day I'll own a fungi.

:smith:

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Anyone know if there's a mod or UI setting that makes tell windows not all pop up in the same place, but makes them cascade or something?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

havent seen this in a while

them classic feels :unsmith:

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Still looking for a corroded breastplate mq (thurg) if anyone has one for sale cheap.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Pratan posted:

Still looking for a corroded breastplate mq (thurg) if anyone has one for sale cheap.

The dain must be slain for the peace we shall obtain!

Kuai
May 25, 2004
Man the nostalgia makes me wanna roll a rogue after haven't played since ~2002? I remember as a kid selling some cloak I got off Vindicator for plat and buying a fungi tunic for a rogue twink and quitting for FFXI soon after. I think I will make a wood elf cause I never really leveled at the start in Kelethin. I was always a Erudite caster.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
If you get going hit me up in game (same name) and I'll power level you through the beginning levels if you can catch me free.

I'm slowly getting back into the swing of things. Would still love to try the hole out if anyone else is up for it.

Also, is there a guild that would be best if I want to try and get my epic? Not looking for a crazy raid guild, but one that does a lot of group stuff.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 23, 2016

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
Finally installed and got this running.

Promptly fell in the water in Grobb and spent 20 minutes trying to get out of said water.

Good times.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Dustoph posted:

If you get going hit me up in game (same name) and I'll power level you through the beginning levels if you can catch me free.

I'm slowly getting back into the swing of things. Would still love to try the hole out if anyone else is up for it.

Also, is there a guild that would be best if I want to try and get my epic? Not looking for a crazy raid guild, but one that does a lot of group stuff.

There isnt any one "best" guild but there are serveral mid-tier guilds that are able to accomplish epics here https://www.project1999.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=05dc101a4ab17df787d6516dea23d024&f=18

I would imagnie you have to join and be a member for a while/put it in work

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Thanks for the link. Not looking for handouts but just wanted to see who was viable that also wasn't hardcore.

Kuai
May 25, 2004

Dustoph posted:

Thanks I'm in as Kaiko currently lvl 3 and lost in the woods of Kelethin.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Dustoph posted:

Thanks for the link. Not looking for handouts but just wanted to see who was viable that also wasn't hardcore.

Azure Guard and Europa come to mind as reputable non-hardcore guilds

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Kuai posted:

Thanks I'm in as Kaiko currently lvl 3 and lost in the woods of Kelethin.

Try to get tagged in <Unknown Guild> if you can! Lots of goons online with the holiday break.

I've got a 20 ranger named Baltair that is leveling off of wisps in North Karana at the moment and would be down to group with folks in that range. Also have my 53 necro that I want to get back on the exp train for higher level stuff.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

quote:

25% XP Bonus has been enabled until January 3rd.

11 days of boosted experience.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
It seems that the EQ Classic project that I everyone thought was long dead is about to go into a 2nd phase of testing. This is the project that uses the actual original piece of poo poo client for maximum nostalgia and frustration. Can't wait!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
That sounds terrible. Does it even have "med blocks the screen" features?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

:stonk:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Say what you will about that UI, but the animated class icons were the poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yeah its so painfully bad. So little screen space is used for rendering the view, its like those early PC games like System Shock where they only render to a tiny window in the UI.

Siets posted:

Say what you will about that UI, but the animated class icons were the poo poo.

They still loving are. I love the class icons. And I really love that they use them in the world in some guilds. The Kaladim Paladin's guild has the logo, and the Felwithe casters have teleports with their class symbols on them. Although they're not animated.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Oh hell yeah that original lighting/rendering engine is so good for immersion, and those skies... :allears: P99's done a lot of nice work bringing back those original details but there's still a good bit that gets lost when you leave the pre-Luclin clients.

Nostalgia aside, actually playing on it will be a miserable experience if you're used to the luxuries of the modern clients, but it'll be fun to dink around with. I hope the source gets released eventually because it'd probably make for some really fun fast-exp casual servers or custom servers, but I'm not holding my breath after all the dumb drama they've been through over the years.

And for what it's worth the EQClassic devs have hacked in hi-res widescreen support, and the original translucent UI works, so at least you won't be stuck in that terrible 640x480 box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_lelKgvN8g

The single chat window that collects all your combat spam and chat in one big scrolling mess is another issue however :v:

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

I've been on p99 for 2+ years now, and if they brought that poo poo back I would probably quit. Holy gently caress how did we play with that back in the day?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
got my wiz on blue up to 25, got a tflux staff and working on a Staff of the Wheel.

something is strangely appealing about burning mobs until OOM then going AFK while I regen mana.

if anyone in the 20s wants to kill stuff I'll be around! just send a /tell to Haughty

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

It does have a certain charm to force the game into a certain frame of time, and you just have to deal with it as it is. I mean, it will be playable since old EQ was such a slow and relatively easy game (if people just had correct group setups and followed some simple rules), and it was designed to be single boxed. But of course, the game took eons to evolve, I dare say the EQ Live client didn't really become nice and somewhat decent until around VoA with from-inventory clickies and such improvements.

I enjoyed my time on EQMac as well in spite of the ancient client, because you just had that feeling of "this is how it is, no way around it".

PS: "sibolit scail boots"

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Pratan posted:

I've been on p99 for 2+ years now, and if they brought that poo poo back I would probably quit. Holy gently caress how did we play with that back in the day?

It was one of the first 3D RPG/MUD type games. The term MMO wasnt even coined yet.

My Pentium II struggled to run it until I got a Voodoo 3 GFX card :corsair:

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
Most raids consisted of looking at the wall so that the framerate wasn't so low that I couldn't move the mouse around. It was epic.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Not to mention avoiding the dreaded buffer overflow disconnect on your 28.8 or 56k modem.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

aparmenideanmonad posted:

buffer overflow disconnect

I had more disconnects from mom picking up the phone :smith:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Orange Red Bull posted:

I had more disconnects from mom picking up the phone :smith:

:smith::hf::smith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Orange Red Bull posted:

It was one of the first 3D RPG/MUD type games. The term MMO wasnt even coined yet.

My Pentium II struggled to run it until I got a Voodoo 3 GFX card :corsair:

I remember EQ was the first game I got that required a video card with hardware T&L and I actually had to upgrade.

Also it needed like 200mb RAM which I thought was absurd at the time, and then like 512mb RAM when Luclin's models came out. :corsair:

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I remember getting 512MB of RAM and it only being enough to turn on like 3 luclin models at a time.

Not that it really mattered since the animations were so bad. Think I turned vah shir on and that was it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

suuma posted:

I remember getting 512MB of RAM and it only being enough to turn on like 3 luclin models at a time.

Not that it really mattered since the animations were so bad. Think I turned vah shir on and that was it.

Yeah maybe I'm misremembering. Maybe it was 512 for base EQ and then full Luclin models were like 1-2GB? I remember thinking it was an insane amount of RAM.

I only turned on a few of the new animations too, partially because I couldn't turn them all on and partially because some looked like poo poo compared to the old ones.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

all i know is the freeport revamp killed my poor little pentium comp it was so laggy i ended up waddling into a pool and drowned to death before the render caught up

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

I'm pretty certain vanilla was like 32mb ram, because I played all of classic and kunark on 64mb.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Yeah let's not get carried away here, I remember playing with okay framerates, even during raids, and I had to fight since I was a Rogue. I always had a fairly decent computer, though, but not top of the line either.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I played EQ when Velious was out on a P2 350 with 64 megs of ram.

5+ minute zone times, but it was playable.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Pretty sure I upgraded from 64mb to 128mb during Kunark, I remember logging out of LOIO and back in and the game being a whole new experience. That was probably before I got a videocard as well on some P2/3 processor.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
It was luclin for me that forced a system upgrade. It could handle most kunark and velious zones outside of raids but then when they revamped the engine for all the luclin zones it was like EQ2 levels of slow.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
the luclin era elemental models that actually tried to make the elementals look like something were bad and the designers should feel bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

cmdrk posted:

the luclin era elemental models that actually tried to make the elementals look like something were bad and the designers should feel bad.

Agreed. Long live the vanilla EQ Looney Tunes monster elementals: