Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
A very hurty AoE attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Johnny Aztec posted:

A very hurty AoE attack.

Yeah, usually before you can even move. :smith: FF3 and FF8 have some of the worst trash mobs in RK.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Mercury Crusader posted:

In retrospect, Terra getting it was probably a bit too soon considering her BSB isn't that great beyond having multi-water damage, but I'm a FFVI fanboy.
Celes and Locke also have fire BSBs (fire/holy in fact) so the three of them wreck poo poo with the imperil Locke's SB drops on entry.

If you're willing to dive, Terror had that fire damage bonus too.

edit: are we getting 6* reforging mats soon? I'm not whaling on Blood Sword, but the cruel temptation is there.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Bell_ posted:

Celes and Locke also have fire BSBs (fire/holy in fact) so the three of them wreck poo poo with the imperil Locke's SB drops on entry.

edit: are we getting 6* reforging mats soon? I'm not whaling on Blood Sword, but the cruel temptation is there.

JP doesn't have them. So 6+ months out, minimum.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Bell_ posted:

I'm going hard on that first banner, yeah. MAYBE the second as well since I think that one has Celes's "Better Runic Blade" SB and I could sure go for that. Regular Runic Blade is okay but she needs an upgrade.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I think Celes' SSB is on the third banner, the Vaan OSB one.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

I'm having problems deciding on what banner to pull on. I want to pull probably twice on XIV1 (I have a Thyrus+ for Yshtola so a Medica would be great) and a strong physical holy team (BSBs for Cecil, Beatrix, Locke, Aerith, and Ramza; my other BSBs are Tyro, Luneth, cloud, and Squall). I have both Walls but no Boostgas and only Edward's weak Faithga. My other hastegas are all really old.

Banner 1 looks appealing, as I would love all the top relics (most to go with Locke's EnFire, and Kane is a cool dude) and Shout, but I have 3 dupes (Thyrus, Circlet, and Minwu's medica). I have two dupes on Banner 2, one on banner 4, and none on 3 and 5. My needs are a solid party boostga and/or faithga(preferably with haste), probably some mage relics, as I have focus and a couple of damage only SSBs (Terra, Hope) but few stat sticks or good SBs, and maybe some nice utility like a Runic effect. Any advice?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Mercury Crusader posted:

I'm going hard on that first banner, yeah. MAYBE the second as well since I think that one has Celes's "Better Runic Blade" SB and I could sure go for that. Regular Runic Blade is okay but she needs an upgrade.

Charles Bukowski posted:

I think Celes' SSB is on the third banner, the Vaan OSB one.

This is correct, Excalibur VI is on the third banner. I'm hoping to get a pull in on the first and third banners, but I'm not sure I'll manage both. I have a Arc's robe on banner 3, so if I have to skip one it'll probably be there.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Mithross posted:

This is correct, Excalibur VI is on the third banner. I'm hoping to get a pull in on the first and third banners, but I'm not sure I'll manage both. I have a Arc's robe on banner 3, so if I have to skip one it'll probably be there.

Ah, alright. I'm thinking about pulling on both, but depending on what happens on the first banner, I may roll on it twice.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm actually thinking of pulling on ff14 banner 2 instead of 1. I don't have any dupes on either but a lot of the SBs on banner 1 are similar to stuff I already have. And banner 2 has more weapons, for synergy.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nihilarian posted:

I'm actually thinking of pulling on ff14 banner 2 instead of 1. I don't have any dupes on either but a lot of the SBs on banner 1 are similar to stuff I already have. And banner 2 has more weapons, for synergy.

Yeah, the one weakness of banner 1 is that it has only one melee weapon

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I'm afraid to pull on OSB banner 1 because I already have a loving 7* platinum sword which sounds great and all but I don't need more plat swords, and I know the game will find a way for me to go 1/11 with just a plat sword.

Would love to get a Thyrus though, wall would be amazing finally.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah, the one weakness of banner 1 is that it has only one melee weapon

I'd say another weakness of banner 1 is that it has three substantial duds if you already have a wall, in Y'shtola's old relics. And I believe they're high-% relics, so a lot of people are going to end up with those items over the top prizes. I just know I'm going to end up with 3 omnirods and nothing else...

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Medica II still has some worth - Esunaga is a very rare effect (off the top of my head only Sabin can replicate it), and you might not always have space for Affliction Break or the lower-honed Ultra Cure.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
If I drew Medica II I'd definitely be using Yoshi Cola nearly every boss fight with the threat of status effects.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
I mean, "worst" case scenario is I wind up with an Esunaga Medica or a Proshellga/High Regen for CM content. Not too thrilled about the thought of that, of course, or pulling the Papalymo Gloves since I already have Sheepsong and Beastmaster Krile über alles but it's not like that'd be useless either. Unless you've pulled on a bunch of the up 'till now unsexy XIV banners and/or pulled Y'shtola's Wall somehow, categories I do not fall into, this banner has no real duds; there's nothing in there I can't use. Fact is my only XIV item is Ninja Chainmail so no matter what I pull, it will be useful. Disappointing, no doubt, but I can't help but come out with better realm synergy than I'm going in with. And I'm fully expecting to be disappointed, if recent non-Lucky Draw luck is any indication. It'll just be another 100+ Mythril spent strenghtening my Cid's Mission chops while my A-Team stays stagnant. I'm fine with that. Really.

:smith:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Schwartzcough posted:

I'd say another weakness of banner 1 is that it has three substantial duds if you already have a wall, in Y'shtola's old relics. And I believe they're high-% relics, so a lot of people are going to end up with those items over the top prizes. I just know I'm going to end up with 3 omnirods and nothing else...

Yeah, I've saved for months based on the hype but hadn't really read the details on the items available. I have all 3 of Y'shtola's relics (2 robes, 1 of each rod) so it's hard to rationalize pulling despite the fantastic top prizes.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Fact is my only XIV item is Ninja Chainmail so no matter what I pull, it will be useful. Disappointing, no doubt, but I can't help but come out with better realm synergy than I'm going in with. And I'm fully expecting to be disappointed, if recent non-Lucky Draw luck is any indication. It'll just be another 100+ Mythril spent strenghtening my Cid's Mission chops while my A-Team stays stagnant. I'm fine with that. Really.

:smith:

Get ready for two 1/11 Behemoth Knives.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

kalensc posted:

Yeah, I've saved for months based on the hype but hadn't really read the details on the items available. I have all 3 of Y'shtola's relics (2 robes, 1 of each rod) so it's hard to rationalize pulling despite the fantastic top prizes.

I only have Thyrus, but that's enough to make both dupe Thyrus and the Omnirod pointless. The Healer's Robe could still have occasional uses. But I think it's still worth pulling on, because almost everything else is really good.

The disappointment is going to be so bad.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
Are there other small white magic heal record materias aside from pulse kindness and healer?

Asking so I can auto dungeons more easily.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm pretty sure upgrading something to +++ takes an upgrade material, not a fourth copy of it.

oh hey you're right

guess I just have a useless extra zeus mace :(

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

^^^ Rosetta Stone! ^^^

Johnny Aztec posted:

A very hurty AoE attack.

What's their chance to cast it? I just got hit by fire, thunder, and blizzard in one + wave and they didn't even combine to break 800 damage on any single character (I think Serah got hit the hardest for ~260 each cast).

The real worst thing about them is that I only got 56k exp for the wave <:mad:>

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Mirthless posted:

oh hey you're right

guess I just have a useless extra zeus mace :(

White magic A team in FFV!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Our latest protagonist's skillset:

Lv 99 Stats: 6658 HP, 209 ATK, 141 DEF, 149 MAG, 135 RES, 149 MND, 179 SPD
Black Magic 3*, Combat 5*, Celerity 5*, Dragoon 5*, Machinist 4*
Can Equip Dagger/Sword/Katana/Spear/Thrown/Gun
Shield/Hat/Light Armor/Bracer

Default SB: Instant Cast ST ranged physical attack.
OSB: Breaks damage cap, grants Phantom Sword and Stoneskin: 30% to the user.
(Phantom Sword status grants +30% ATK, 3x ATB rate when casting an ability, and is dispelled if the user doesn't have the Stoneskin: 30% status active)
(Stoneskin:30% prevents up to 30% of the user's max HP in damage before wearing off.)

RM1: Inflicts Sleep status on the user, +10% ATK and DEF
RM2: Defend restores ?% max HP heal to self
RM3: Attack becomes a strong Instant Cast ST physical attack that doesn't build soul break meter.

No skill upgrades on his record sphere, but he gets +6% Combat ability damage and +3% Sword damage.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Fresh batch of Soul Break vids from JP fest:

Noctis's OSB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9qznVArz2c
Kuja's OSB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnsG06K1N8U

Yuffie's USB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnftsF7TAJk
Cecil's USB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80vo3vt2ors
Terra's USB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNmhXLOutak
Gilgamesh's USB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZytQqW7iYA
Rosa's USB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-Xq9IFkG0I
Tifa's USB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot4sSXnEsaE

Varance fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 26, 2016

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I'm budgeting my mythril and to pull on everything I want I need another 112 mythril before the Orlandu event begins. Is this doable?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
What are USBs exactly? The jump in quality for SB to SSB was helpful, SSB to BSB was significant, but BSB to OSB has seemed less eye-catching. Do USBs become the new item to save mythril towards? Or is still primarily BSBs that defeat the toughest content in JP?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I dont think so. 10 for each realm event, 1 for each day. 5 for each new orbfest period. Do we freebies on new years?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

kalensc posted:

What are USBs exactly? The jump in quality for SB to SSB was helpful, SSB to BSB was significant, but BSB to OSB has seemed less eye-catching. Do USBs become the new item to save mythril towards? Or is still primarily BSBs that defeat the toughest content in JP?

USBs are basically upgrades over SSBs. They don't break the damage cap but have more hits and stronger support effects.

I'm just waiting for the day we start getting 6 star Bursts.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

kalensc posted:

USBs are strong SBs that tend to have a bunch of buffs. Before the current Fest in Japan I think the USBs were all healing/support, but some of the new ones are attack SBs (that don't break the damage cap) with several buffs attached. But I'd say BSBs remain the go-to SBs for the long grueling fights that become the norm for high-end content.

Disclaimer: This is as a relatively new JP player, with generally bad abilities and hones. I think a long-time player that's built up a lot of abilities at good hone levels could get away with using OSBs and USBs more.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Nah one of the first was for Faris which was Attack+Support.

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Does the winds of home atk+mag buff stack with any other boost/faith buffs?

Crash_N_Burn fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Dec 26, 2016

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Crash_N_Burn posted:

Does the winds of home atk+mag buff stack with any other boost/faith buffs?

It should stack with any other buffs that are not Atk&Mag in one package. So it'll stack with shout, sheepsong, etc., but not Onion Knight's Vessel of Fate.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
At first it just seemed like USBs were a way to give 6* relics to characters who didn't really benefit from breaking the damage cap, like healers and support characters. But now they're starting to give more DPS focused characters USBs as well, with effects other than just breaking the cap (and tbh with the number of hits a lot of them are getting you're probably not sacrificing that much in terms of damage anyway). That Tifa one in particular is way better than her plain-rear end Burst and Overstrike SBs, Hastega/High Regen/Radiant Shield is a drat powerful set of buffs to cram into a single SB let alone packing damage on top of it. The EX Mode ones seem interesting too, Cecil's in particular makes him into a ridiculous tank if you combine it with his Legend Materia. Cover plus a 6k HP Stock and his crazy natural HP/Def? Yes please. Taking hits for everyone else would probably generate enough meter for him to keep it up practically indefinitely too, and with the enholy attached it'll do much more damage with repeated uses.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

Munoma posted:

Are there other small white magic heal record materias aside from pulse kindness and healer?

Asking so I can auto dungeons more easily.

Sarah (FF1) and core White Mage each have a healing RM, identical to Pulse Kindness. Requires an MC2 for both.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Pulse kindness + lickety split + thunder stroke + 2x 30% damage materias = savage autobattling

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I use auto-haste RMs too, when my dudes are oneshotting enemies.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I really need to get some magic relics. Pretty much everything I have is based around a physical team, whenever a boss comes up that requires magic I'm boned.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Killing Vector posted:

Sarah (FF1) and core White Mage each have a healing RM, identical to Pulse Kindness. Requires an MC2 for both.

Godlike, thank you.

I just levelled up Sarah recently. Been using Orbfest to get every character to a minimum of level fifty.

I don't need this phase at all, not spending any Mythril.

I already mentioned earlier that I have a crap ton of fire and dark, I also have at least forty white majors on deck.

I still plan on farming it but not to the same degree as I did for Ice, Earth, Summon.

Why did power have to be the last phase? :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I took this opportunity to clear the Weapon/Armor dungeons. Any phase with White is just suboptimal. I'm gonna do a single 11-pull on the banner that drops tonight to minimize my chances of getting duplicate Platinum Swords, and save the rest for a nonsense run when Banner 3 and FF14 drop close to each other.

• Locked thread