Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Patrick Spens posted:

That someone with testicles and a Y chromosome can become female
saying that someone with testicles and a Y chromosome is male unless otherwise stated is the very definition of traditional gender roles

quote:

Nobody thinks that Liam Neeson was performing femaleness in Taken but Mycroft would say that he was.
saying that protectiveness of dependent family is both inherent to and exclusive to the female gender is the very definition of traditional gender roles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

:yikes:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Miss-Bomarc posted:

saying that someone with testicles and a Y chromosome is male unless otherwise stated is the very definition of traditional gender roles

Wait, what?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Rocksicles posted:

Wait, what?

Okay, having finished Too Like the Lightning a couple of days ago and given myself time to think about it, here's what's going on. The society in TLtL is an explicitly non-gendered one. Everyone uses "they" to refer to other people rather than "he" or "she". The narrator is breaking societal conventions by using gendered pronouns for people, but rather than assigning gender by physical configuration, does so by behavior. So aggressive and ambitious people are "he" while protective and caring people are "she" regardless of what bits they have between their legs.

In essence TLtL presents a trinary view of gender. Gender is either:

1) Biological and physical. This is the traditional view we mostly use today, where-in gender is determined by the presence of a penis or vagina on any given person.

2) Behavioral. This is the view espoused by the narrator of the novel, that gender is defined by a series of behaviors.

3) Unimportant. The society at large in TLtL espouses this view. Gender, whether biological or behavioral isn't worth distinguishing people by. Everyone is "they" not "he" or "she."

Miss-Bomarc is effectively advocating #3 by denying the validity of #1 or #2 as "traditional gender roles". If gender isn't your biology, and isn't how you act, what meaning can "he" or "she" have at all? None, really, which leaves us with what they presumably prefer...that we go the route of the TLtL society and abolish the gendered words entirely.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 25, 2016

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is a loaded question but does anyone know numbers of non binary people worldwide? gotta be less than like 3% right?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I don't know about worldwide, there was a British survey done in 2012 that had 0.4% return an answer of neither male nor female. But those answers are going to be very culturally bound.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Rocksicles posted:

This is a loaded question but does anyone know numbers of non binary people worldwide? gotta be less than like 3% right?

I don't think you can get a real answer?

I mean, going off of my tiny experience, but I know two non binary people and neither one has come out as such given that they live in places where it's not safe to do so.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Rocksicles posted:

Veeeery hard to say, even if you could magically assure a perfect response rate to surveys, because unlike with sexuality where there's a reasonably objective criterion, gender identity is super tricky to define and fraught with unstated cultural assumptions and you won't get the same answer from two people. Probably a whole lot of people who reject gender roles in some form or another, and fewer (but more than you think) who reject gender roles totally.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
Also rejecting gender roles != rejecting a gender/being non-binary.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
due to donald and ivankda the next front in The Gender Wars is normalizing incest

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Baloogan posted:

due to donald and ivankda the next front in The Gender Wars is normalizing incest

Frozen beat them to it!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Frozen beat them to it!

:wtc:

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
https://31.media.tumblr.com/1126bc932b3723dbc329703b82c4d19a/tumblr_inline_mxrcrlN8NO1s2m0ox.gif

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I see Alastair Reynolds has a newish book Revenger that has come out, is it any good? For the record I have generally liked his work, but the last book of his I read Blue Remembered Earth for whatever reason I couldn't get into.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
I was gonna give it a shot but it's received terrible reviews on Goodreads and apparently it's YA? I gave it a miss.

On the other hand, another Merlin story just came out called the Iron Tactician which was pretty good.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jack2142 posted:

I see Alastair Reynolds has a newish book Revenger that has come out, is it any good? For the record I have generally liked his work, but the last book of his I read Blue Remembered Earth for whatever reason I couldn't get into.

On the topic of Alastair Reynolds, is the collaboration he recently did with Stephen Baxter that's the sequel to Clarke's Meeting with Medusa any good?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Revenger is good, and not YA except for the protagonist's age. Well, maybe a tiny bit near the start. But it's good.

Not your usual Reynolds, but I love the setting.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I just finished the Iron Tactician. I swear his dialogue has gotten more stilted.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Revenger is good, and not YA except for the protagonist's age. Well, maybe a tiny bit near the start. But it's good.

Not your usual Reynolds, but I love the setting.

I agree 100%
I started out thinking "Ugh, don't want to read about angsty teens. What's next, a glittering werewolf and broomstick races?", but very early on it switched to a different story, as the protagonist is quickly forced to grow up.

The setting starts out being described like some Jules Verne-in-space steampunk-ish universe, but you soon get an idea that there is more to this than what the natives are experiencing. Throughout the book, hints are being dropped about the universe and I honestly can't wait to see what Reynolds plans to do with this setting.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

hopefully that universe doesn't end with walking cathedrals

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

hopefully that universe doesn't end with walking cathedrals

What universe does? I'm intrigued.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Shab posted:

I assume it's a reference to the Revelation Space series.

Actually my main problem with Revenger is the same as it was with Revelation Space: There's a lot of cool background stuff that I kind of find more interesting than the main characters that will probably never get explored/would be ruined if it did. Also the whole space-whalers/steampunk thing is not my type of sci-fi either, so that didn't help.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I found Revelation Space so forgettable that I was 1/3 of the way through my second reading before I realized I had read it before. On the other end of the Reynolds spectrum, I'll never forget Pushing Ice. As a result I've never been able to form a proper opinion on his writing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Shab posted:

I found Revelation Space so forgettable that I was 1/3 of the way through my second reading before I realized I had read it before. On the other end of the Reynolds spectrum, I'll never forget Pushing Ice. As a result I've never been able to form a proper opinion on his writing.

Yeah, I've realized since finishing them that while I remember certain parts of the Rev Space books very vividly, as a whole it's all a blur. I actually forget what series some of those parts are even from. The Prefect is probably actually my favorite book from the whole series.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Shab posted:

Last third of the Revelation Space trilogy. It... I didn't like it. Maybe it was good and I have no appreciation for the arts.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Shab posted:

:v:

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 28, 2016

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

What was the fan fiction novel posted here either last dec or dec before that? It was on star destroyer net about a human ai battleship a thousand years after earth was destroyed. I spent too much of my x,as vacation reading it and at the time it was a few chapters from completion. Wondering if it was ever done.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hughlander posted:

What was the fan fiction novel posted here either last dec or dec before that? It was on star destroyer net about a human ai battleship a thousand years after earth was destroyed. I spent too much of my x,as vacation reading it and at the time it was a few chapters from completion. Wondering if it was ever done.

Sounds like The Last Angel; not sure if it ever finished, I stopped reading it a long time ago.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/the-last-angel.244209/

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Elyv posted:

Sounds like The Last Angel; not sure if it ever finished, I stopped reading it a long time ago.

That was the one. Thanks.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

It finished and there's a sequel. The sequel basically concludes the story, it's more like a duology then a single work. Also as a point of order, it's not fan fiction but an original work.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
It started as Halo fanfic where the covenant won

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

CaptainJuan posted:

It started as Halo fanfic where the covenant won

Then he must have re-written it later, there's nothing of that junk left now. :shrug:

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Lol you can still see where the serial numbers were filed off. Come on.

E: for the record I read and enjoyed the hell out of the first one

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CaptainJuan posted:

Lol you can still see where the serial numbers were filed off. Come on.

E: for the record I read and enjoyed the hell out of the first one

Sorry, the only thing I remember from Halo's story is that there was a sword and you could stab people with it

(Back when I was in the army we draftees spend a lot of evenings playing Halo: One of us had a Xbox and lots of controllers.)

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
So in the last year I've read all of:

The Culture (Banks)
The Commonwealth (Hamilton)
Old Man's War (Scalzi)
The Expanse (Corey)

In that order of enjoyment, which is also the order of technology level. I love me some utopian level technology.

I recently read Revelation Space and Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds, but I'm torn on starting Redemption Ark. Something about both of those books just didn't click with me. They felt... slow? Inhuman? I never really cared about any of the characters at all.

Before I continue aimlessly, are there any other big Space Opera series' that I might enjoy more? The Culture has been my favorite so far, but I loved the Commonwealth series as well.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Legend of Galactic Heroes novelization
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01BI91F00/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Loutre posted:

The Culture (Banks)
Old Man's War (Scalzi)
The Expanse (Corey)

In that order of enjoyment, which is also the order of technology level. I love me some utopian level technology.

I recently read Revelation Space and Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds, but I'm torn on starting Redemption Ark. Something about both of those books just didn't click with me. They felt... slow? Inhuman? I never really cared about any of the characters at all.

Before I continue aimlessly, are there any other big Space Opera series' that I might enjoy more? The Culture has been my favorite so far, but I loved the Commonwealth series as well.

Neal Asher's Polity series?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

In regards to Reynolds my personal favorite book was Chasm City, however it is kind of a weird side adventure that isn't really linked to the main storyline beyond a cameo in Redemption Ark. However alot of people would say Redemption Ark is probably the best of the Revelation Space novels. Also I decided to pick up Revenger and so far its alright.

Also the HALO fanfic turned into a book, makes me nostalgic for a story I was writing in High School with a similar idea and I badly blended HALO and Battlestar Galactica with the humans losing and fleeing in a exile fleet that got whittled down to nothing and everyone died, oo bad that was lost like two computers ago.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 1, 2017

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Loutre posted:

The Culture (Banks)
Old Man's War (Scalzi)
The Expanse (Corey)

Vernor Vinge, A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Loutre posted:

Standard "at least read House of Suns before giving up on Reynolds" reply (it's excellent).

• Locked thread