Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Is that the legendary frogdog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

sinking belle posted:

Noted autodidactic auteur Derek Smart (the mind behind Battlecruiser 3000 AD) is a Something Awful Goon.
This one is particularly notable because Derek Smart and Something Awful were once arch enemies. 16 years ago internet war was declared by goons and lawsuits threatened by Smart because Lowtax made fun of his spaceship video game.

These days Derek mods an SA forum entirely dedicated to making fun of some guys spaceship video game, so I'm calling that a win for Lowtax.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Who were both driven off in short order by general gooniness, Simone in particular.

The same thing happened to Kate Beaton in the brief time she was a goon.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Syd Midnight posted:

This one is particularly notable because Derek Smart and Something Awful were once arch enemies. 16 years ago internet war was declared by goons and lawsuits threatened by Smart because Lowtax made fun of his spaceship video game.

These days Derek mods an SA forum entirely dedicated to making fun of some guys spaceship video game, so I'm calling that a win for Lowtax.

Well he doesn't anymore he was thrown out and banned like a month ago

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Syd Midnight posted:

The same thing happened to Kate Beaton in the brief time she was a goon.

Oh no, what did they do to Kate?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Who were both driven off in short order by general gooniness, Simone in particular. Ellis had his own forums (that required a real name to join, which at the time caused folks to behave) and was an early twitter adopter.

Is there any way to keep someone from seeing the publicly viewable forums?

Gail was runoff because she refused to follow SA posting rules. She would not stop signing her goddamned posts. Then Sgt Rock burned some of her comics in his sink.

Warren hosed up his password reset (I'm friends with the Goon who paid for the original account) and rather than sort it out he wrote off SA as "too super-heroy."

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Aesop Poprock posted:

Well he doesn't anymore he was thrown out and banned like a month ago

He made a new account but he also sulked like a baby and made an offsite forum after he lost his mod powers when he doxed someone

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Piquai Souban posted:

Goons like to believe she was run off because goons were creepily niceguyish towards her but actually she just didn't like the forums all that much and was more annoyed by goons apologizing to her about what they thought other goons did than anything that happened when she actually posted here.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Piquai Souban posted:

She was mostly just bored. She's actually complained a lot more about goony white knights tripping over themselves trying to apologize for whatever imagined slights drove her from the site in the first place.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Glenn Quebec posted:

Are you sure it was him? Like, when you were sure he was dead? Really think about it.

Glenn Quebec posted:

What I'm saying is that you're inextricably linked to Caro now and should give him the common courtesy reach around since your misreporting may have cost him a few extra months/years in a torture camp. But you're the expert.
drat this is an outrageous series of owns and the lack of a mod sass beef is pretty telling (that brown moses is manifestly irresponsible and contributed to caro's literal torture by
playing twitter journalist)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
(pushes aside thick jungle vines and emerges into a clearing where the sun is setting on a massive tire fire)

this is it... at long last, the ruins of helldump

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
*ascends mountain; sees promised land*

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

She was mostly just bored. She's actually complained a lot more about goony white knights tripping over themselves trying to apologize for whatever imagined slights drove her from the site in the first place.

She actually didn't complain about that either really, she really has better loving things to do and doesn't care about us here.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

[in extremely gamergate voice] An account on hell dump

Look! A Horse!
Feb 10, 2010
I know most of Caro's story, but how/why did Brown Moses get involved? why is he getting dunked on mercilessly ITT?

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Is there any way to keep someone from seeing the publicly viewable forums?

Lock them in a Syrian torture prison.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Look! A Horse! posted:

I know most of Caro's story, but how/why did Brown Moses get involved? why is he getting dunked on mercilessly ITT?

GQ has many of the details http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/syria-isis-kevin-dawes

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I think some goon bought him his ticket to Turkey, not sure who though.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Look! A Horse! posted:

He wasn't. Caro is a crazy person who started contacting BM before he became a war tourist and would have gone to Libya and Syria regardless. Some goons just like to dump on BM cause they're crabs in a bucket.

Also some of them are tankies for Assad tbh but that's more in D&D.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
isn't it lobsters

edit: i checked it's crabs, weird.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
e: beaten over and over

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
wrong thread

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Heath posted:

(pushes aside thick jungle vines and emerges into a clearing where the sun is setting on a massive tire fire)

this is it... at long last, the ruins of helldump

and just in time for monday...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kurtofan posted:

isn't it lobsters

edit: i checked it's crabs, weird.

gently caress you buddy

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

1stGear posted:

He wasn't. Caro is a crazy person who started contacting BM before he became a war tourist and would have gone to Libya and Syria regardless. Some goons just like to dump on BM cause they're crabs in a bucket.

Also some of them are tankies for Assad tbh but that's more in D&D.

caro is dead - brown moses

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
everyone thought caro was dead, just like everyone thought clinton was going to win, makes you think

Improbable Lobster posted:

gently caress you buddy

my best friend is a lobster

Kurtofan has a new favorite as of 22:23 on Dec 26, 2016

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
Have not read all 84 pages, but this reminded me of the awfulyearbook. It was hugely popular over night and I feel like at one point a big chunk of the form (maybe 30% or so? at the moment 15% of goons have accounts on there still) was actually on there. Just went there and it appears to be exactly the same as it as 10 years ago, left untouched.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

everyone thought caro was dead, just like everyone thought clinton was going to win, makes you think

Should we buy Hilary an account? She probably is gonna have a lot of free time on her hands now.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I checked my name on wikipedia and it turns out there's a guy with my name... who's been dead a few decades

rly maeks u thnk

im dead, so what

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Should we buy Hilary an account? She probably is gonna have a lot of free time on her hands now.

waste of money, unless... is there a blackberry client for the forums?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I checked my name on wikipedia and it turns out there's a guy with my name... who's been dead a few decades

rly maeks u thnk

im dead, so what

If you're a US citizen then theres a good chance your SSN has been used before as well. Just think, some other person had something you probably guard more than your name. Thats super weird.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

caro is dead - brown moses

I don't think finding out a guy is in the most notorious torture prison in the world, hearing nothing about him for years and coming to the "he's probably dead" conclusion is something to be pissed at someone for. Who the hell wouldn't have come to that conclusion? It's not like BM personally signed his death certificate and folded a Syrian rebel flag to deliver to his parents

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

To be fair, I totally underestimated the fact that Caro is utterly indestructible and unstoppable. The Syrian rebels should have welcomed him with open arms, given him an AK and pointed him in the general direction of Assad.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
They should've just handed him a doctors bag and told him Assad needed medical aid.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's no phone reception in the dark woods where she now makes her home

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicToast posted:

Have not read all 84 pages, but this reminded me of the awfulyearbook. It was hugely popular over night and I feel like at one point a big chunk of the form (maybe 30% or so? at the moment 15% of goons have accounts on there still) was actually on there. Just went there and it appears to be exactly the same as it as 10 years ago, left untouched.

I was on there for a while when it felt like it was a bunch of goons goofing on each other's photos, like a more good-natured Helldump. After a year or so, it seemed like it was full of people who didn't actually post anywhere on the forums, and dudes being real creepy.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Twitch posted:

I was on there for a while when it felt like it was a bunch of goons goofing on each other's photos, like a more good-natured Helldump. After a year or so, it seemed like it was full of people who didn't actually post anywhere on the forums, and dudes being real creepy.

And one of the biggest creeps on any girls that left a photo was a mod (Loosechanj). I think he ended up getting banned for it.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Apparently he wasn't banned for a long time since lowtax didn't see the pic he commented on for awhile. He was just a poster at that point though. I wonder what got him demodded.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Aesop Poprock posted:

I don't think finding out a guy is in the most notorious torture prison in the world, hearing nothing about him for years and coming to the "he's probably dead" conclusion is something to be pissed at someone for. Who the hell wouldn't have come to that conclusion? It's not like BM personally signed his death certificate and folded a Syrian rebel flag to deliver to his parents

Nah I just think it's funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Apparently he wasn't banned for a long time since lowtax didn't see the pic he commented on for awhile. He was just a poster at that point though. I wonder what got him demodded.

It.... it was literally any woman, it wasn't just one picture at all.