Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Amarcarts posted:

I'd say it's not worth any amount of money. If you think about it, it's not really worth your limited amount of time on this earth. Games in general are a guilty pleasure, kind of a waste of the gift of life. Nobody is perfect though and games can be incredibly fun, especially if you can socialize with real friends while doing so. To willingly play a bad game though?

The one exception to this would be if you had real life friends or family who played Star Citizen and it is your chance to socialize. The whole thing is tainted though because what kind of friend would force you to play Star Citizen?

edit: I suppose a second exception would be if there is good greifing potential. So the question is: How many $ is it worth giving CIG for the ability to greif Shitizens?

I, uh, I played EVE Online for a few years. In Goonswarm. As a director. I really don't have any high ground to criticize people playing bad games. :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Erenthal posted:

Wait wait wait, did I miss something here? Does "winning" AC unlock a loving ship for you to buy in store? At least it's for in-game money, right? Not real dollars?

Hey, this is CIG, where even the pdf manual for their game costs 10$

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

So anyone want to make an educated guess when the new patch will arrive?
the big one is due in march right?
I don't think Ben's planning to wear an eye patch.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

illectro posted:

Theseus Game Engine anyone?

Theseus was building a ship.
Somehow, i think Trigger's broom from Only Fools And Horses is a more appropriate comparison.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

This was the best Christmas I can remember. I've never done so much overtime before the holidays and I was completely out of juice by the time the celebrations came. It was all worth it though when my nephews opened their gifts and found out that they were now both proud star citizens. gave both of them a Constellation package, expensive, but that's what Christmas is about isn't it. I gave them a quick image tour of the ships and tomorrow I'm going back to help them with installing the game. I can't remember when I was last this excited.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

:v:: Hey check out this new iteration of CryEngine Amazon is building on... oh poo poo, here comes Chris. Quick, change your screens to your hat models guys!

:homebrew:: Hey guys... how's that thing coming along with the thing..! Is that Amazon?

:v:: Uh... yeah. AWS console.

:homebrew:: With CryEngine?

:v:: Uh... yeah.

:homebrew:: Does it connect to AWS?

:v:: Yeah, I mean, I think so...

:homebrew:: With network code built in?

:v:: Yesh, but it's

:homebrew:: This is it! This is the answer! This will save us! Amazon already built the scaling network integration! We just spool up more cloud things and they do the mesh!

:v:: it's not quite like

:homebrew:: How did you get access to this??!!!

:v:: I uh, sign up through their webpage for the beta...

:homebrew:: Oh! Beta! And we're in perpetual alpha! It's like, it's like they're partnering with us!

:v:: Well anybody can

:homebrew:: It's a loving partnership! Oh yes! Go tell the engine guys! We're partnering with Amazon! Somebody get Swofford on the phone!! I can't believe it! Amazon wants me! Me!! Amazon! I'm coming, Amazon! I'm coming!

Rofl.
I'm imagining the Monkey Island salesman handwaving to the tune of Chris' bits.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

kikkelivelho posted:

This was the best Christmas I can remember. I've never done so much overtime before the holidays and I was completely out of juice by the time the celebrations came. It was all worth it though when my nephews opened their gifts and found out that they were now both proud star citizens. gave both of them a Constellation package, expensive, but that's what Christmas is about isn't it. I gave them a quick image tour of the ships and tomorrow I'm going back to help them with installing the game. I can't remember when I was last this excited.

This person is a monster.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

Promise me that if the game actually comes out, Goons will adopt Kilrathi avatars and meowing speech packs the better to taunt their victims with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZkKsGtrW88

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

The switch to lumberyard is the video game equivalent of someone slapping a type R sticker on their Honda Civic. It will be ready for serious street racing any day now.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

skaboomizzy posted:

This person is a monster.

It's pronounced "missionary".

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

kikkelivelho posted:

This actually makes me sad. I saw my nephew today. Never occurred to me to buy him jpegs for a game that'll never happen. Like an utter fool, I bought him a Transformers Rescue Bots set that he freaking LOVES. I was so excited to see him open that, squeal with joy and play with it (once I got it assembled). But I'm not forcing my interests on kids, I bought my other niece a toy shopping trolley and singing teddy bear. Just as great to see her playing with those. Please, whether you're a citizen or not, buy kids presents they want, not things you want them to want.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ripptide posted:

It's pronounced "oval office".

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Similar, but I'm imagining a cascade of meows during a group griefing while an incel beats the poo poo out of his keyboard screaming SHUT UPPPPPP and his chariot-buddies swearing impotent vengeance. That poo poo will win the youtubes even harder.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
My predictions for 2017:

Star,citizen goons will physically hurt someone involved in the project and post it here for "lolz"

Then when they and anyone that supports itvgrts banned, theyll make an offsite forum thatll basically qualify as a hate site forum

Derek will post there regularly

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Sunswipe posted:

This actually makes me sad. I saw my nephew today. Never occurred to me to buy him jpegs for a game that'll never happen. Like an utter fool, I bought him a Transformers Rescue Bots set that he freaking LOVES. I was so excited to see him open that, squeal with joy and play with it (once I got it assembled). But I'm not forcing my interests on kids, I bought my other niece a toy shopping trolley and singing teddy bear. Just as great to see her playing with those. Please, whether you're a citizen or not, buy kids presents they want, not things you want them to want.

A toy will eventually break or be forgotten. Star Citizen will be constantly maintained and updated for at least a decade after release. It is a living, breathing virtual world that will constantly receive new features and content. Star Citizen will never become boring or stale because it is a story written by the millions of citizens who play it. All this money that trolls and jealous rats cry about is a small price to pay for such an unique experience. One day you will leave your primitive toys behind, but Star Citizen will continue to walk and grow alongside you. In light of these facts the choice seems blindingly obvious.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Theorycrafting about what it would be like if Star Citizen actually came out is nice and all, but missed one glaring issue - even if it did somehow come out, and was technically completely functional, and contained all the features announced...

... it would still be unplayable and broken. Because the fundamental design of the game is either completely lacking, or totally broken, depending on the area, and people designing it couldn't be trusted to design a circle with a drafting compass.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

kikkelivelho posted:

A toy will eventually break or be forgotten. Star Citizen will be constantly maintained and updated for at least a decade after release. It is a living, breathing virtual world that will constantly receive new features and content. Star Citizen will never become boring or stale because it is a story written by the millions of citizens who play it. All this money that trolls and jealous rats cry about is a small price to pay for such an unique experience. One day you will leave your primitive toys behind, but Star Citizen will continue to walk and grow alongside you. In light of these facts the choice seems blindingly obvious.

Haha, I've lost count of the number of times similar paragraphs have been used for other games over the last 30 years. All those games got boring and forgotten just like SC will if it ever gets released.

Star Citizen is starting off broken too.

I award you 5/5 on the Crobbler scale though :thumbsup:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

kikkelivelho posted:

My daughter got one of these for Christmas. She loves the drat thing. Even as we speak she's grabbing her bear and running around it, asking us to push her. It's mom's turn so I get a bit of down time.

I pity those kids.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

orcinus posted:

Theorycrafting about what it would be like if Star Citizen actually came out is nice and all, but missed one glaring issue - even if it did somehow come out, and was technically completely functional, and contained all the features announced...

... it would still be unplayable and broken. Because the fundamental design of the game is either completely lacking, or totally broken, depending on the area, and people designing it couldn't be trusted to design a circle with a drafting compass.

I know these twelve or so goons like to pretend that they are experts in all things design and software but lets make some things clear

Lumbertyard is not a "new" engine it is the Cryengine engine with a lot of added cloud based features and systems

Lumbertyard is fully a Cryengine engine and all source code fully licensed totally with rights to make games functioning over a computing cloud and licensing it forward to anyone who wants to make cloud based games.

Because Star Citizen was from the beginning based on cloud computing and large servers the only thing that they needed to do was to transfer their cloud servers from Google's cloud to Amazon's cloud and with the 2.6 patch that has been done (2.5 was still Google 2.6 is now running on Amazon's cloud).

The Amazon Lumberyard license is free right now and this will also be true for any future Star Citizen mod servers.

Lumberyard is using a slightly newer version of Cryengine as it's engine so when Star Citizen moves over to it all current features will remain intact but CIG will be free from all the Crytech licenses which will be a good thing since Crytech probably won't exist for long Star Citizen and CIG can avoid all the trouble that a Crytech bankruptcy can bring

The move to Lumberyard is a massive financial boost to everyone who dreams of running their own Star Citizen servers since that will now be considerably cheaper and easier.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My daughter got one of these for Christmas. She loves the drat thing. Even as we speak she's grabbing her bear and running around it, asking us to push her. It's mom's turn so I get a bit of down time.

I pity those kids.

I think that kid is scamming you. That car clearly uses a flintstone propulsion system and doesn't require a push.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I pity those kids.

My boy is currently testing out some night vision goggles he got by going into a room, turning off the lights and what sounds like walking into furniture while shouting 'YES'. it's really funny

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Christopher Lambertyard.
There can be only one (engine).

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

My boy is currently testing out some night vision goggles he got by going into a room, turning off the lights and what sounds like walking into furniture while shouting 'YES'. it's really funny

He's actually using the opportunity to finally kick the living poo poo out of invisible monsters.
That's what you're hearing.

Sixerfixer
Oct 13, 2013

I'm not going to try and sell you that three guys in the shed out back with a swinging light bulb and a bottle of SoCo is a model for responsible government. I'm just gonna say it works.

Happy Boxing Day, everyone.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I hope everyone had a good holiday.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

bart tax

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

kikkelivelho posted:

I know these twelve or so goons like to pretend that they are experts in all things design and software but lets make some things clear

Might be because there's more than 12 goons here with actual working experience of software design and coding?

kikkelivelho posted:

The move to Lumberyard is a massive financial boost to everyone who dreams of running their own Star Citizen servers since that will now be considerably cheaper and easier.

Hold on, there is no evidence of Amazons server hosting being cheaper or easier than running a home server setup.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Goobs posted:

bart tax

That is an excellent catalien.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Sabreseven posted:

Might be because there's more than 12 goons here with actual working experience of software design and coding?

Hold on, there is no evidence of Amazons server hosting being cheaper or easier than running a home server setup.

I would expect to it be easier, maybe cheaper, but more importantly, CIG is never going to allow private servers.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/813383647139078144

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

5K? Is that how much he has "invested" in Star Citizen?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/813061572448894976
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/813406102327005184
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/813408130013007872
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/813413235646955525

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Quick question, if I exchange a package for store credit to get one of these boxing day packages, will I retain access to Squadron 42? Another way to phrase the question is am I locked in for SC+SQ42?

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
The tide of the war is turning the goons are starting to lose

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

kikkelivelho posted:

Lumbertyard is not a "new" engine it is the Cryengine engine with a lot of added cloud based features and systems

Lumbertyard is fully a Cryengine engine and all source code fully licensed totally with rights to make games functioning over a computing cloud and licensing it forward to anyone who wants to make cloud based games.

Because Star Citizen was from the beginning based on cloud computing and large servers the only thing that they needed to do was to transfer their cloud servers from Google's cloud to Amazon's cloud and with the 2.6 patch that has been done (2.5 was still Google 2.6 is now running on Amazon's cloud).

The Amazon Lumberyard license is free right now and this will also be true for any future Star Citizen mod servers.

Lumberyard is using a slightly newer version of Cryengine as it's engine so when Star Citizen moves over to it all current features will remain intact but CIG will be free from all the Crytech licenses which will be a good thing since Crytech probably won't exist for long Star Citizen and CIG can avoid all the trouble that a Crytech bankruptcy can bring

i don't think you understand game development.

Like 100% seriously though.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Christ, I hope he's being paid for that.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Doesn't the move to Lumberyard permanently put a nail in the idea of the promised feature of backers hosting their own servers themselves for free?

The Lumberyard license is only free if the game is single player with no online component, or of the online component is run on AWS. As far as I can see if someone uses Lumberyard with a non AWS server then the license is no longer free, meaning that if someone wants to host a private server they now have to pay for that license.

Am I missing something?

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Sunswipe posted:

Christ, I hope he's being paid for that.

rip michael nolen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004