Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Why would you want to spend 12 hours driving to Nova Scotia? Its full of nothing but old salty retired french people and old retired cranky other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Alright. Sounded weird to say "mcelroy brothers too" though

I agree with you anyway

I didn't know what adventure zone was, sorry.

They have like 5 or 6 fuckin podcasts huh

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

Why would you want to spend 12 hours driving to Nova Scotia? Its full of nothing but old salty retired french people and old retired cranky other people.

The town we go has a population small enough that it is literally tripled by my the 30 or so families members coming up there, so we basically have three really cool beaches, to say nothing of the acres of field, all to ourselves.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I tried to play Civ 6 and it seems to just be more Civ 5 with some of the systems changed around a bit? I'm not sure what I was expecting but it gave me such a big 'you've already played 100 hours of this game' vibe that I couldn't get very into it.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Red Bones posted:

I tried to play Civ 6 and it seems to just be more Civ 5 with some of the systems changed around a bit? I'm not sure what I was expecting but it gave me such a big 'you've already played 100 hours of this game' vibe that I couldn't get very into it.

I wonder if this is how Civ 4 people felt when Civ 5 came out

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Love Stole the Day posted:

The jump to Civ5 was much less favorable because they stripped a lot out. Granted, in exchange doomstacks were finally removed because the devs felt the move to a hex system offered enough movement space to make unit stacking unnecessary. But then the AI had a much harder time with hexes...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i finished firewatch. i like that delilah is the one who stole the pork pond sign and put the teddy roosevelt picture in the supply cache

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really, really enjoy that you never get to meet Delilah in person because the developers knew very well that it's the last thing the player could want now that the plot has been resolved.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

and i like how the plot was resolved because the game is attempting to challenge you to reconsider what occams razor should mean in a video game. idg why people dislike the ending/plot reveal because if they were to give players the reveal they wanted then it'd be a fuckin 2K Games game

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I never played Firewatch. It looks cool.

Goddamn Axiom Verge is good as hell. I'm having a blast with it, but I'm starting to see what people mean about the boss battles being kinda dull.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mak0rz posted:

I never played Firewatch. It looks cool.

Goddamn Axiom Verge is good as hell. I'm having a blast with it, but I'm starting to see what people mean about the boss battles being kinda dull.

You ain't seen nothing yet!

(I love the game but not the plot or bosses)

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

StrixNebulosa posted:

You ain't seen nothing yet!

(I love the game but not the plot or bosses)

Most of the bosses are fine, it's just the final two? I think? That are horribly designed.

It's a really good game, and it was literally made by one guy. Coding, graphics, music. It's very impressive.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Going on like a twelve hour car ride in 5.5 hours to Alabama where we're staying the night en route to Orlando for the family gathering, no way in hell I'm not pulling a Dragon Quest all-nighter.

Try talking to your parents instead because you'll regret the hours spent on dragon quest when they're gone

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Love Stole the Day posted:

No, because civ 5 isn't like civ 4 and at launch was also horribly broken and awful

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Axiom starts out so good and ends so bad. Like there was just a certain point when things went from being fun to tedious and it's unfortunate you get the majority of your mobility abilities during this time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

corn in the bible posted:

Try talking to your parents instead because you'll regret the hours spent on dragon quest when they're gone

I'd rather play DQ than listen to how immigrants and gay people are ruining the country and how much better things will be after we leave the EU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I'd rather play DQ than listen to how immigrants and gay people are ruining the country and how much better things will be after we leave the EU

This was my christmas too except stardew valley

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

glam rock hamhock posted:

Axiom starts out so good and ends so bad. Like there was just a certain point when things went from being fun to tedious and it's unfortunate you get the majority of your mobility abilities during this time.

The area where you get your last dash upgrade is loving lol. Just stuffed with enemies that deal half a bar per hit and there's absolutely nothing else interesting remotely close.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sakurazuka posted:

at least my mom is the cool liberal one. My dad is always telling me to become a programmer like him because I spend a lot of time on computers so clearly that means I'd love it, and to leave the union job I enjoy because I should be like him and unions are bad and

We almost avoided this topic this year but NOPE, hit a patch of current events and spun out into what-are-your-plans-for-the-future, there were no survivors

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Axiom Verge has the worst goddamn grappling hook.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Axiom Verge has the worst goddamn grappling hook.

This is true, it's a piece of poo poo.
ESA managed to make the grappling hook really fun and there were alot of puzzles involving it, even though the basics were really simple.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, I loving love Axiom Verge and it's one of my favorites games of last year, but it does have a ton of extraneous poo poo that either is poorly balanced or makes no sense or is absolutely useless. Luckily there's enough options that you don't even need to find the majority of them to still have a good time.

That said, I got the flamethrower, and boy howdy does it make that game a cakewalk

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Super Double Dragon was 4, The Shadow Falls was 5, Neo Geo was 6, DD Advance was 7, DD Neon was 8, however...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0f8RV4Q8t4

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

My gripes with axiom verge are
The pacing of movement upgrades
The horrible/painful sound effects
The midgame's multiple fake boss fights where the dev probably ran out of money so you think youre gonna fight but then dont
The end game enemy design and final boss

A remix could be a great game (if it had totally new sound design)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What are the good things

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Help Im Alive posted:

What are the good things

Someone made a metroid in 2015

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Going home prolly late tonight bc my girl was left alone by her family on Christmas kind of out of nowhere, but I didn't bail yesterday because my folks also haven't seen me since this summer and bought me new kitchenware and new tires which I'm getting installed today.

~V blessed~ looking forward to settling in with The Last Guardian when I have a couple days to myself before New Years. Happy holidays to Games, and to videogames, and Videogames.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I got a few games over the Steamed sale, but all I wanna do is screw around in Overwatch. It reminds me that yes, I am incredibly into seasonal cosmetics. Firewatch was a cool experience. Axiom verge was alright. Finished Dark Souls. That was a lot of fun. Gwyn and Smough and Ornstein were bosses that I felt relieved to defeated. All in all, decent year in games even though I only played like 5 titles from 2016...
Xcom2 would've easily been the best if it wasn't so buggy at launch, and still a bit buggy today.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

My gripes with axiom verge are
The pacing of movement upgrades
The horrible/painful sound effects
The midgame's multiple fake boss fights where the dev probably ran out of money so you think youre gonna fight but then dont
The end game enemy design and final boss

A remix could be a great game (if it had totally new sound design)

Honestly given some of the boss fights, the fake outs were a relief. There are at least two bosses that are the most obnoxious experiences I've had in recent games. The boss of the game was also dull as poo poo but it was at least easy.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Speaking of metroids, I wonder what the sales were like for federation force.

I have heard pretty much fuckall about that game since it came out. I barely see it mentioned. It must've been truly forgettable if it didn't even inspire the kind of hatred other m did haha

Like, I know people talked about the game at least a week after release cause people were laughing about the final boss being samus but mind controlled or something and also giant and stuck in morph ball mode so it was like you were playing blast ball for the final boss but then after that, absolutely nothin

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

FirstAidKite posted:

Speaking of metroids, I wonder what the sales were like for federation force.

I have heard pretty much fuckall about that game since it came out. I barely see it mentioned. It must've been truly forgettable if it didn't even inspire the kind of hatred other m did haha

Like, I know people talked about the game at least a week after release cause people were laughing about the final boss being samus but mind controlled or something and also giant and stuck in morph ball mode so it was like you were playing blast ball for the final boss but then after that, absolutely nothin

What is the average age of a 3DS owner, do you think? Because there's stuff like this where it's like, oh, nobody has talked about Federation Force since it came out, but then the 3DS sales numbers are pretty rosy iirc. Maybe people talked about it a lot in playgrounds and in kindergardens?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Maybe, idk

I just think it's kinda sorta chuckleworthy when a game has a bunch of press and then nobody seems to care after the actual release haha

Now I'm just thinking about codename steam. Man, that game seemed like a big waste of potential. Doesn't help that, as far as I can tell, nintendo shot themselves in the foot with it because they didn't fix the speed issue until after most of the reviews that came out complained about the speed, even though they'd known well before the release that people had issues with the enemy turns taking so long.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK2lBwI-9bs

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Reporting back from Christmas... Everyone disliked Jackbox Party Pack 3. :( Tee KO was pretty lame as game. Murder Trivia was like a downtrodden You Don't Know Jack, and Fakin It was horrible.

Quiplash was the only game anyone liked. For the next holiday we might have to play Scattergories or something. :D Basically everyone agreed that JBPP2 was the best so far. I think everyone missed Drawful and Fibbage.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Fibbage is so loving good

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Drawful is probably the best party game of the past decade. In comparison Tee KO is so cynically aimed towards streamers but it's not even that fun to watch since the period where everyone is focused on their phones is like ten minutes long

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i haven't played party pack 3 so all tee ko screenshots to me are just mspaint image with an unrelated phrase underneath and it looks really bad. drawful and fibbage and also that sound game from 2 are pretty fun

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Red Bones posted:

What is the average age of a 3DS owner, do you think? Because there's stuff like this where it's like, oh, nobody has talked about Federation Force since it came out, but then the 3DS sales numbers are pretty rosy iirc. Maybe people talked about it a lot in playgrounds and in kindergardens?

Federation Forces did poorly enough we dont know their sales figures because they never charted.
For example, the first week it was available in Japan we know it sold less that 4,000 copies but no solid numbers. That's already small enough to be damning though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fed force failed to chart in japan which is a big uh oh for nintendos own 3ds games and means it sold fewer than 4500 copies in its first week and was beaten by year old wii u games like splatoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
After one game that the hardcore fans all hated, one game that sold so poorly lots of people didn't realize it had ever come out, and Nintendo's current fortunes, Metroid is most likely dead for good :sigh:

• Locked thread