Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Lunethex posted:

You know how in some games with maps for big areas (like Resident Evil titles) you can shift between floors and it makes the others transparent or grays out the lower floor? I kind of imagine that in Rimworld being similar to the way to go, or they could just emulate Starcraft's old elevated terrain design.

SC didn't have true z-levels. The different elevations just effected sight and movement and maybe shooting miss chances. There were no levels upon levels except maybe in the few specific cases of bridges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

KyloWinter posted:

SC didn't have true z-levels. The different elevations just effected sight and movement and maybe shooting miss chances. There were no levels upon levels except maybe in the few specific cases of bridges.

Nah, you couldn't move under bridges. They always had to be bridging impassable terrain (water, lava, space, etc.)

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

KyloWinter posted:

I get that, but as you say the elevations brought sight and accuracy changes. Anyone who was below the hill could not see a Siege Tank as it peppered them. If you had sight to the hill, units below it would miss several times trying to shoot uphill. It's rudimentary but it'd fit with Rimworld if they can't set up a layer of map dedicated to second floors or watch towers that people can snipe from.

Hell they should just take the Total Annihilation approach at this point!

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Jesus Christ food poisoning happens way too much

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Teikanmi posted:

Jesus Christ food poisoning happens way too much

It is related to, I believe, the skill of the cook preparing the food and the cleanliness of the kitchen and possibly storage area?

Keep your kitchen and freezer clean, your cooks skilled, you should have it far less often.

Raw food just has a chance to make you ill.

Alternatively I assume nutri paste is invariably sterile.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Carpeted kitchen, max skill cooks making lavish meals and it still happens to me constantly

It's not even a big deal, it's just the sound going off when it happens all the time is really annoying

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Carpeted kitchens are for weird people.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
any reason to put sterile tile in kitchens?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is this basically dwarf fortress but, prettier and less buggy?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

sterile tile outright stays cleaner than other tile so this would in fact help.

to be clear, basically the room's cleanliness is determined by the overall cleanliness of the room, which is obviously negatively affected by dirt, blood, etc. dirt is -5, but each sterile tile is +0.6, so 10 sterile tiles or so means you can have one hex of dirt and it doesn't make the room any 'dirtier'.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Azuth0667 posted:

It is about half the crunchy of DF but zero percent of the jank.
ps and it's muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch more mod friendly

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It would make more sense if they vomited drinking beer(Which they do when binging). The amount of food poisoning is a bit absurd as funny as it maybe. It really should improve with better meals and better cooks. Cleanliness though is impossible due the the amount of traffic and butchering, it just doesn't happen.

Cleaning requires a lot of work hours. Really need something like a Roomba(I know there are mod robots but they are general purpose and high on the tech tree) that slowly cleans rooms. This would be especially useful for hospitals which get dirty because someone had the nerve to place a stack of medicine by stepping through the door.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Azuth0667 posted:

Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld are the two prime games in this genre, and they're on either end of the spectrum. This is just about as well made as DF but on a different scale.

Dwarf Fortress is the DF-like game where you handle the macro. You have 200 dwarves and your concern is housing and feeding them. Feeding them isn't hard since you can set up a few small farms and that will be enough. Sieges are easy to counter-act by building fortifications and training an army, and they won't happen until you have a lot of value in your fortress. On a normal temperate climate tile without things like necromancers you have to be pretty careless to have things go wrong.

Rimworld is the DF-like game where everything is about the micro. You have 4-13 people in the best of times, and your concern is making sure they're getting all their needs while not going crazy and causing a tantrum spiral that rips your colony apart. Enemy attacks (including big rear end animals like elephants) happen frequently and each one will in the best case scenario leave a significant portion of your colony (since you only have like 13 guys if you play your cards extremely well) injured. On a normal temperate climate tile on medium difficulties you'll have to fight and play well just to survive for years.

It's a good game you should buy it!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

oohhboy posted:

Cleanliness though is impossible due the the amount of traffic and butchering, it just doesn't happen.

Isn't there a mod that adds doormats to prevent the filthy idiots from tracking poo poo everywhere?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
DF is impenetrable to all but the most dedicated. Even if you pushed pass the graphics where ASCII represents thousands of objects, you have no idea how to set up living areas, production chains, training, health system, you don't know why dwarfs are/not working. Even though it's free and has graphical title set, it is just to complex for me to bother playing.

Rimworld for most part outside of combat you can set things up and the pawns will go about their daily business without too much fuss. The micro tends to be a little over exaggerated and can be reduced by mods like colony manager. It really helps that the game makes it relatively easy to see what is failing like food running low or the lack of materials. You get told meat has rotted away. The graphics let you know at a glance what's happening.

Rimworld is not as complex as DF, but it is transparent. You are not fighting the game to figure out how to put down a table wondering if it helps. It is easy to see the linkages.

I would take RimWorld over DF any day as I can play RimWorld.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

RW is most comparable to Dwarf Fortress before the first migrant wave. You've got a few people that you need to take care of and that you look out for. Survival is more of a concern and attacks require some management, but you get to interact with your few colonists closely and you're more focused on creating a safe and profitable colony for them than creating a mountain citadel.

With the latest update, I'd say the best summary for the game is Dwarf Fortress before the first migrant wave meets Oregon Trail. It's really fun, I'd definitely say its worth the admission price.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

nah only cooking skill affects food poisoning chance. sterile tile can be cleaner than any other flooring but only matters w/ surgery.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Huzanko posted:

nah only cooking skill affects food poisoning chance. sterile tile can be cleaner than any other flooring but only matters w/ surgery.

nope

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

is that just for the kitchen or does the freezer need it too? because I thought that it was just the cleanness of the food stockpile that mattered?

amiantos
Oct 19, 2012
I have a mid-2012 retina macbook pro (2.3 ghz i7, 8 gb of RAM)... should RimWorld run fine? With the new planetary update and such?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
probably

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Thefluffy posted:

is that just for the kitchen or does the freezer need it too? because I thought that it was just the cleanness of the food stockpile that mattered?

well, in prior alphas those were generally the same thing since the kitchen was usually in the freezer. Now that it's two different rooms (usually) it's probably more of a thing.

Thanks for the help on that point all, that's definitely one for the guide.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

amiantos posted:

I have a mid-2012 retina macbook pro (2.3 ghz i7, 8 gb of RAM)... should RimWorld run fine? With the new planetary update and such?

I run it on an elderly Intel (9-10 years old now) with 8gb on large maps and it runs completely fine, the only thing that actually takes time is worldgen and when a large raid party has to be spawned..

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

KyloWinter posted:

Carpeted kitchens are for weird people.

Only one way to make a slick black and white checkerboard pattern homie

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

amiantos posted:

Yes, you are fine. It is CPU limited and yours is fine.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I wouldn't mind a z level or two. Personally the way I'd visualize it would be levels above or below your current level would have an out of focus filter put over them. This way you can still see things happening at the lower or higher levels but your focus would be on the current level you're looking at. So if you're currently at ground level and you built a tower by the gate that is a z level higher, if you have a person manning it they show up a fuzzier version of themselves so you know someone is in there instead of wondering if the guy is in or below the tower.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

oohhboy posted:

It would make more sense if they vomited drinking beer(Which they do when binging). The amount of food poisoning is a bit absurd as funny as it maybe. It really should improve with better meals and better cooks. Cleanliness though is impossible due the the amount of traffic and butchering, it just doesn't happen.

Cleaning requires a lot of work hours. Really need something like a Roomba(I know there are mod robots but they are general purpose and high on the tech tree) that slowly cleans rooms. This would be especially useful for hospitals which get dirty because someone had the nerve to place a stack of medicine by stepping through the door.

Well, specifically cleanliness is literally impossible if you have a butcher's table in there because the table itself counts as a dirty object.

You should not butcher in your kitchen, butcher separately, put the meat in a freezer, then take it to the kitchen to cook it.

And don't put the kitchen in the middle of a busy area.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
My doctor keeps murdering people when trying to do simple operations

Oh wait he has one arm :lol:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Teikanmi posted:

Only one way to make a slick black and white checkerboard pattern homie

slate tile?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never examined that relationship. Learn something new everyday.

The kitchen is always a high traffic area, avoiding it isn't really practical as it it connected to the most active stockpile in the game.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Make a second door.

Cleanliness is not this arduous little goon

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

But it's so much more efficient to just drop raw meat in a pile on the floor, walk over it to get to the stove, then drop the finished meal in a pile on the floor. :saddowns:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Anyone have any tips on forming caravans and over-world travel? I've finally gotten a base I like rebuilt in A16 but every time I try to play with the caravan interface I just send my dudes into the wide world of mental breaks.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zigmidge posted:

Make a second door.

Cleanliness is not this arduous little goon

This is not always practical or desirable or even a solution as food is the most intense industry you have making work hour efficiency and cook mood is a greater priority over some dudes throwing up. This remains true even with mods that let you cook up to 3 meals at a time.

The amount of movement just from the cooks kicks up a lot of dirt. Getting things clean is closer to mid+ way into a game as you just have more demanding use of manpower.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Goon kitchens

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zigmidge posted:

Goon kitchens

Stop projecting.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

oohhboy posted:

This is not always practical or desirable or even a solution as food is the most intense industry you have making work hour efficiency and cook mood is a greater priority over some dudes throwing up. This remains true even with mods that let you cook up to 3 meals at a time.

The amount of movement just from the cooks kicks up a lot of dirt. Getting things clean is closer to mid+ way into a game as you just have more demanding use of manpower.

The amount of dirt pawns spread around is ridiculous. WIPE YOUR FEET YOU loving ASSHOLES.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Doormat mod, we need it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Alternative solution: Rebuilding defeated mechanoids and make them into roombas. Roombas that constantly scheme murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I'm having this weird issue, wondering if anyone else is, too. It seems to happen whenever I make salted meat. My colonists will just eat EVERYTHING I have in storage en masse, none of them are binging, they just won't stop eating until all of the food is gone. I can order them to prioritize other tasks, but once they finish the tile I prioritized, they go back to eating.