Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Nasgate posted:

Federation Forces did poorly enough we dont know their sales figures because they never charted.
For example, the first week it was available in Japan we know it sold less that 4,000 copies but no solid numbers. That's already small enough to be damning though.

shout out to the crew at "nintendo life" and "nintendo world report" for keeping nintendo power's editorial flame alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Maybe federation force is awesome and nobody played it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

for reference, metroid prime hunters charted in the 4 spot in japan so "japan hates metroid" can't explain it

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
AM2R is 1000 times better than Axiom Verge, play that instead.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

Maybe federation force is awesome and nobody played it

Are you suggesting the EGM Review Crew would just... make up a score?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TeeKO depends on the crowd more than any of the other games that I've played. It requires more drawing talent than Drawful and the group's senses of humour have to be a lot more in sync.

Earwax I love but after playing it with a few different crowds it unfortunately is too luck of the draw to be consistently funny, which is the exact same problem with CAH.

Drawful is flat out hilarious but the absolute nonsense of a lot of the phrases hurts the game because there's little help in being able to discern between real or fake. It's almost like it was created to be inclusive of ESL players, what with the lack of idioms.

Fibbage and Quiplash are just obviously amazing.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Nate RFB posted:

play both

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

also Environmental Station Alpha

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Federation Force was a lose-lose situation. Either it sold well and Nintendo made more Federation force games or it sold poorly and they just give up on Metroid entirely. Maybe they actually took notice of how much hype AM2R got before they took it down but I'm not too hopeful about that.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

haveblue posted:

After one game that the hardcore fans all hated, one game that sold so poorly lots of people didn't realize it had ever come out, and Nintendo's current fortunes, Metroid is most likely dead for good :sigh:

Metroid is definitely not dead for good, it's just gonna sit on the shelf until Nintendo has a gaming platform or a gameplay mechanic that they think would mesh well with the Metroid IP. No IP that ever turned a profit is dead for good in this day and age, c'mon.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Red Bones posted:

Metroid is definitely not dead for good, it's just gonna sit on the shelf until Nintendo has a gaming platform or a gameplay mechanic that they think would mesh well with the Metroid IP. No IP that ever turned a profit is dead for good in this day and age, c'mon.

But most of those IPs will suffer a fate far worse than death, existing only as mobile free to play games

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Red Bones posted:

F-Zero

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

at least nintendo dooesn't make patchislot machines yet

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nasgate posted:

I did a twelve hour drive in one sitting as the only driver a few months ago(my roommate's runaway sister was detained in utah and he cant drive)
Nightvale and Xience energy drinks were the only reason i made it.

Kids these days! I used to do 12 hours (Knoxville to Orlando) like once every two months and this was before I even knew how to spell cocaine

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nate RFB posted:

I agree but i already played the poo poo out of AM2R this summer and someone gave me Axiom Verge as a gift for Christmas so now I'm going to play that. I can play two games that are similar even if one of them is better.

Sad to hear AV's fun is mostly front-loaded. The Bionic Commando grapple thing is real annoying to use.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mak0rz posted:

I never played Firewatch. It looks cool.

It is. If you're the type of person who considers "walking simulator" to be a pejorative or wishes that Gone Home had ended with an axe murderer or ghosts then you'll probably hate it because it is a game that is entirely about walking through the woods doing menial tasks for the parks service while having conversations with your superior over walkie-talkie, but it works a lot better than something like Oxenfree because the world is really pretty and your run speed is decently brisk and the map is fairly smartly designed so you unlock shortcuts as you play and rarely have to just keep slowly criss-crossing back and forth for no reason other than letting canned dialogue play out.

That said it does do that indie gaming peccadillo of conspicuously going out of its way to avoid ever having to render or animate or interact with another NPC, but the fact that they did animate you getting attacked by a raccoon almost makes up for it.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Drawful is probably the best party game of the past decade. In comparison Tee KO is so cynically aimed towards streamers but it's not even that fun to watch since the period where everyone is focused on their phones is like ten minutes long

Tee KO does have more downtime but its highs are a lot higher so I still enjoy playing it just as much. Really after Jackbox 2 was kind of disappointing 3 has been possibly their best one yet, especially if you're playing with a larger group.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Firewatch started strong as hell but I really hated the "twist" and the last act in general.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i loved the last act

also yay i found frog fractions 2 but i'm not paying that much money to buy it

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The in laws got us a cute little house for our cats to demolish and a Zippo pipe lighter that enables us to smoke weed in front of a fan.

They know us too well :3:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

do you ever kiss the boss in firewatch

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

its not written by newt gingrich

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I like that a bunch if goons are playing Let it Die, because, its neat to be laying and come across haters left by people I recognize, like CJacobs and ManateeCannon.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

oddium posted:

do you ever kiss the boss in firewatch

That would involve rendering a human being that isn't a featureless unmoving silhouette in the distance so no.

You do get to have some implied offscreen walkie-talkie sex if you play your cards right, though :heysexy:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Snak posted:

I like that a bunch if goons are playing Let it Die, because, its neat to be laying and come across haters left by people I recognize, like CJacobs and ManateeCannon.

People on your friends list are much more likely to show as haters, at least at that one spawn point on the first floor.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Firewatch does have that guy in the helicopter, he's fully rendered!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snak posted:

Yeah, I really like that the game is skewed a bit toward your friends list, haters in general are a really cool mechanic.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Firewatch is cool, but it's also a game that constantly goes right up to the edge of it's limitations (choices not mattering, no actual people or even wildlife) in a way that makes those limitation very noticeable a bit too often. I will say I do like the one thing that actually does change based on your responses and the many forms it can take.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/_sophocles_/status/813078805971607552

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Quest For Glory II posted:

also Environmental Station Alpha
ESA is way too frustrating IMO.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

glam rock hamhock posted:

Firewatch...choices not mattering

While reading through the Firewatch thread, I have been wondering...has there ever been a period in adventure game history where it was the norm for choices to "matter" in the way that people accuse Telltale games and other current adventure games of not living up to? ie Having the plot branch dramatically and have completely different outcomes?

This has been a criticism I've seen ever since The Walking Dead and I never really understood where it came from since adventure games have never had or promised that degree of interactivity; classic Sierra and LucasArts adventure games were always linear, same with 90s FMV games. The only real exception I can think of is The Last Express which was a hugely expensive oddity that more or less killed Broderbund because that degree of interactivity, even on a set location and timescale, is such a ridiculous undertaking. Visual novels branch but it's usually a bunch of self-contained and unchanging vignettes from a few set points of divergence that you're supposed to go back through one after another to unlock a "true" ending rather than any sort of actual dynamic reaction to player choices. Even something like Alpha Protocol is a mostly unchanging overarching story where your choices just dictate who shows up and how they feel towards you, which is the same thing Telltale games do and are subsequently criticized for.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Alpha Protocol has multiple endings which are substantially different in outcome from each other and do not just feature swaps of whether a character is present or not. You also can discover huge revelations about characters which dramatically change your understanding of the story and its outcome, or you can miss those and be totally oblivious as you proceed to an ending that feels just as complete but is totally different. It allows you to have conversations with people about that game where one of you will go, "Wow, I had no idea that was even in there."

You never have that with Telltale games, considering all branches will consolidate to the same thing. Not to knock it when it worked (Walking Dead Season 1) but it's definitely different.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

its not written by newt gingrich

If it was it would have been a better game, because you would be a moon zookeeper instead of a park ranger on lame old Earth.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Captain Invictus posted:

at least my mom is the cool liberal one. My dad is always telling me to become a programmer like him because I spend a lot of time on computers so clearly that means I'd love it, and to leave the union job I enjoy because I should be like him and unions are bad and

We almost avoided this topic this year but NOPE, hit a patch of current events and spun out into what-are-your-plans-for-the-future, there were no survivors

There's always going to be something. My entire family is left-leaning, including my dad who is a middle eastern immigrant and voted for the right as a fiscal conservative until the theocrats and white supremacists took over the right's narrative and pushed him out.

And we all agreed not to talk about the election just to have a happier time for the holidays. Yet still my parents got on my wife and me about not having kids because it's apparently a parent's duty to make their children feel slightly miserable whenever they visit.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
At both of the christmas celebrations I went to, politics came up in some form or another.

At one, it was just "Trump said he's gonna bring back coal and steel, yay! I heard Global Warming was a farce. Even if it's not a farce, the sun is getting bigger all the time and making all the planets hotter anyway so that's just what it is. Trump said we're gonna use clean coal instead of this other stuff, which is good because coal is already there, let's just use clean coal."

The other, it was like "I was by a prison and the prison guards eat the same food as the prisoners and the food is terrible and the prisoners will bet on sports games using cigarettes."
"I bet 90% of them were black."
"Yeah, but a lot of latinos were there too"
"Yeah I should've clarified, black OR hispanic."
"Yeah, and they tell us not to stereotype them, pfft..."

:geno:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

While reading through the Firewatch thread, I have been wondering...has there ever been a period in adventure game history where it was the norm for choices to "matter" in the way that people accuse Telltale games and other current adventure games of not living up to? ie Having the plot branch dramatically and have completely different outcomes?

This has been a criticism I've seen ever since The Walking Dead and I never really understood where it came from since adventure games have never had or promised that degree of interactivity; classic Sierra and LucasArts adventure games were always linear, same with 90s FMV games. The only real exception I can think of is The Last Express which was a hugely expensive oddity that more or less killed Broderbund because that degree of interactivity, even on a set location and timescale, is such a ridiculous undertaking. Visual novels branch but it's usually a bunch of self-contained and unchanging vignettes from a few set points of divergence that you're supposed to go back through one after another to unlock a "true" ending rather than any sort of actual dynamic reaction to player choices. Even something like Alpha Protocol is a mostly unchanging overarching story where your choices just dictate who shows up and how they feel towards you, which is the same thing Telltale games do and are subsequently criticized for.

It's more that games like TWD and Firewatch really try to make you believe that you are forming your own story and your choices matter. Firewatch only sort of indicates it and it isn't TOO bad but TWD straight up starts up by telling you that your choices will matter so yes it kind of sucks when they don't.

In general I acknowledge that actually making choices matter in games is REALLY hard to pull off but that's why I'd wish companies would stop claiming their games can do that when they just can't.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I haven't played Firewatch, does it really foreground the "choice" aspect of things? Like, Titanfall 2 gives you dialogue choices and I don't think anyone is disappointed that there aren't branching paths.

Telltale games hammer you over the head with "YOUR CHOICE MATTERS" in the marketing and introduction of each episode, with all the little "X WILL REMEMBER THIS" notices, and the notes at the end of the game.

Life is Strange is limited in a similar way and features a lot of the same tropes, but at least the narrative is about the inescapable nature of fate so you are encouraged to temper your expectations by the end

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Guy Mann posted:

I think what you also have to remember is that these games are advertised as having choices in them that genuinely matter. All the bioware stuff about choosing your own destiny and determining the fate of the universe, all the telltale stuff where the little 'this person will remember this' thing pops up when you say stuff. I don't think that there's a lot of actual games that have delivered on giving you a narrative where you, the player, have the level of agency a lot of these marketing/advertising lines suggest at, and I think a lot of the kickback against this stuff in games when it falls short isn't necessarily "this wasn't as good as X older game", but "this isn't the level of narrative agency that you implied was in the game".

I really like Kentucky Route Zero (insanely long development times aside) because it's a story game that never really promises that, and it's kind of fun in that sense. The only thing you really have control over as a player is what kind of person your character is, through dialogue choices. It's kinda similar to reading a novel, but instead of seeing a character's actions and interpreting them as driven by X or Y, you get to see a character's actions and decide whether they're driven by X or Y. There's another weird text adventure that does something along similar lines of weird narrative junk called Save the Date (short and free to play!), where you have to keep going on a date with a woman and most of the choices you can choose result in her death. You eventually get to a narrative path where you can explain to her that she's in a text adventure and you, the player, can't seem to prevent her from dying, and then when even that doesn't save her, she eventually tells you to just write an ending to the story where she doesn't die, because that will be as 'real' as any of the endings within the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

glam rock hamhock posted:

TWD straight up starts up by telling you that your choices will matter so yes it kind of sucks when they don't.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Telltale games hammer you over the head with "YOUR CHOICE MATTERS" in the marketing and introduction of each episode, with all the little "X WILL REMEMBER THIS" notices, and the notes at the end of the game.

Not really? All the games say on the subject is that the story is tailored to how you play, one time, at the start. And, your choices do matter in the sense that characters do remember how you act around them and react accordingly. You can't change the plot, not because it'd be unrealistic (see games like Alpha Protocol), but because they're telling a linear story that you are taking part in. I would argue that it's the less genuine feeling way to do choices in an adventure game, but it's no less valid as a method of storytelling.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

bloodychill posted:

There's always going to be something. My entire family is left-leaning, including my dad who is a middle eastern immigrant and voted for the right as a fiscal conservative until the theocrats and white supremacists took over the right's narrative and pushed him out.

And we all agreed not to talk about the election just to have a happier time for the holidays. Yet still my parents got on my wife and me about not having kids because it's apparently a parent's duty to make their children feel slightly miserable whenever they visit.

Here's a helpful tip for family going on the offensive about politics, particularly pro-trump people: ask them to write down what they're ranting about or their argument either on paper or an email, because you don't think you're as well equipped to explain the flaws in their arguments but know some people who could do it well and eloquently.

Doing this brought the discussion to a screeching halt for me, which was great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

just agree with everything your relatives say and leave early to play vidyagames

• Locked thread