Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

veni veni veni posted:

So 7 days to die is supposed to be pretty bad right? I'm kind of curious about it and that telltale bundle seems like a good deal but I've mostly heard it's a pos.

Jittery, ugly piece of poo poo. Looks and plays like someone tried to recreate Minecraft in Skyrim but didn't really know what they were doing. With upmarket PC hardware behind it, maybe it becomes a decent game, but it's not worth it on console. You'll suffer more from the framerate than the zombies.

saltylopez posted:

I received xcom 2 as a Christmas gift. I'm new to the series. I have a pstv and ps3. I'm wondering if I should hold off on playing xcom 2 and play xcom enemy unknown first (looks like it's 75% off this week). Is it worth getting both that and xcom enemy within for the ps3 or is enemy within like an enhanced version?

And does it matter what order I play the games?

Enemy Within is basically an enhanced version of Enemy Unknown, yeah. You don't strictly need to play it though, I don't know that you gain anything except an understanding of the way it all works, and then you'd have to learn how XCom 2 does things differently. You don't need to know the plot or concepts behind Enemy Unknown to enjoy XCom 2 as it doesn't really follow on as such, and it explains itself quite well as it goes, but there are connections and familiarities. If you do insist on playing EU, definitely play it before XCom 2 as the later game builds off the same system and adds a lot more to it. XCom 2 is harder, puts more pressure on you, and gives you a lot more options but you don't need to have bean Enemy Unknown to give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

saltylopez posted:

I received xcom 2 as a Christmas gift. I'm new to the series. I have a pstv and ps3. I'm wondering if I should hold off on playing xcom 2 and play xcom enemy unknown first (looks like it's 75% off this week). Is it worth getting both that and xcom enemy within for the ps3 or is enemy within like an enhanced version?

And does it matter what order I play the games?

I never played 1 and had no problem going straight into 2. The story is way better than I was expecting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I never played 1 and had no problem going straight into 2. The story is way better than I was expecting.

XCOM 2 is a divergent timeline, based on the premise that XCOM in the first game got the poo poo kicked out of them early on instead of being able to rally a decent offensive. Doesn't matter which you play first.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Probably because they said XIV not XV :v:

o lol I'm dumb

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

the tombs are still single puzzle brain teasers instead of the point of the game and they rarely require actual gameplay skill to solve like earlier tr games instead of just sussing out which bow skill to apply on which environmental object in which order.

Gamers don't have patience for that anymore, modern conventions make people expect obvious solutions and a hint system. Gone are the days of reading about how a kid never finished level 2 in three years

E: there's probably a sweet spot between reboot design and TR3's obtuseness.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 26, 2016

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Electromax posted:

Gamers don't have patience for that anymore, modern conventions make people expect obvious solutions and a hint system. Gone are the days of reading about how a kid never finished level 2 in three years

Maybe in AAA games yes, but The Witness and The Talos Principle scratch that itch.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Electromax posted:

E: there's probably a sweet spot between reboot design and TR3's obtuseness.

Yeah, Legend to Underworld

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hey so, trying to decide on a new game to get. Couple questions.

1. Dishonored 2 is a game I'd normally buy on PC, but apparently the PC port is technical garbage. Are there similar issues on the PS4 version?
2. SWORD ART ONLINE: Hollow Realization - I got Hollow Fragment or whatever on the Vita, and kinda enjoyed it, but was put off by the absolutely horrific translation. Made it very difficult to figure out what was going on and how to play. Is the translation for this game better/normal?

Thanks for any info!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Annath posted:

Hey so, trying to decide on a new game to get. Couple questions.

1. Dishonored 2 is a game I'd normally buy on PC, but apparently the PC port is technical garbage. Are there similar issues on the PS4 version?

The dishonored 2 PC version is really unoptimized but is otherwise fine. Depending on your PC you could easily get better performance than on PS4.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Dragonball Xenoverse 2 is on sale on Amazon Canada, and I have a gift card. I haven't played Xenoverse 1 so it being barely different doesn't matter. Reviews tend toward, "Flawed, but still fun as hell," which is good, but Rise of the Tomb Raider has excellent reviews and everyone here shits on it so I'm interested in opinions!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wendell posted:

Dragonball Xenoverse 2 is on sale on Amazon Canada, and I have a gift card. I haven't played Xenoverse 1 so it being barely different doesn't matter. Reviews tend toward, "Flawed, but still fun as hell," which is good, but Rise of the Tomb Raider has excellent reviews and everyone here shits on it so I'm interested in opinions!

Xenoverse is fun but you gotta be a dbz fan to really enjoy it. 2 is the game that 1 should have been but still has issues.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Annath posted:

Nope. It's not a 100% rock solid 30 but the rare drops never affect playability. It's not supposed to be a twitch shooter anyway.

Wendell posted:

Rise of the Tomb Raider has excellent reviews and everyone here shits on it so I'm interested in opinions!

Most of ROTTR is as good as the previous one, but the ways in which it's worse tend to reappear constantly throughout the game (like discovering a new zone and watching it fill up with open world checklist bullshit*) so they get focused on and they're all anyone ever talks about. That plus the usual gold/poo poo dichotomy in all internet game discussion.

*The first reboot also did this but it wasn't as onerous, maybe it had fewer categories of thing or simpler areas to navigate

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the ps4 version of dishonored 2 runs fine

Wendell posted:

if you like, or have ever liked, dbz then xenoverse will probably appeal to you on some level. if you have no nostalgia for it tho, I doubt there's much there for you

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

what are some good-rear end offline 2 player games on the ps4?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Tricky Towers, Nidhogg, Rocket League, Black Ops 3

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0f8RV4Q8t4

Why it couldn't be like Double Dragon Neon?

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Dewgy posted:

The PS2 on PS4 games are upscaled to 1080p thanks to the PS2 being really good with rendering to multiple resolutions, but at the time they were running at 640x480 for the most part, so with good art direction you could get away with lower detail looking better than you'd expect.

Fun fact: the native output of the PS2 framebuffer was (for most games) actually 640x448, so it was actually less than full TV resolution. A few games could do progressive scan over component cables, and a few games (Well, basically just GT4) could actually do 1080i/720p @ 60fps - on a friggin' PS2. Polyphony Digital are goddamn wizards with tech.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

SamBishop posted:

Fun fact: the native output of the PS2 framebuffer was (for most games) actually 640x448, so it was actually less than full TV resolution. A few games could do progressive scan over component cables, and a few games (Well, basically just GT4) could actually do 1080i/720p @ 60fps - on a friggin' PS2. Polyphony Digital are goddamn wizards with tech.

Yeah, but the ps2 era texture filtering became obvious at 720, I ended up going back to lower resolutions which hid that. But still, technical wizards they were!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0f8RV4Q8t4

Because people complained nonstop about DDN's artstyle from the moment it was first shown and the only people who care about DD nowadays are deep in nostalgialand so it makes more sense to cater to that.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Let's all listen to Neon's end song again! *Blisses out*

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wendell posted:

Let's all listen to all of Neon's music again *Blisses out*

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Lol, the Telltale Batman thing is so badly programmed that it managed to crash at the end of both of the episodes that I played today forcing me to quit and reload from the main menu to play the next episode.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

If I bitch at Sony hard enough do you think I can get guilty Gear for the $23.99 it was supposed to be?
I've got 30 some odd missed transactions over the entire flash sale duration due to their store servers being poo poo.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Does Invis Inc work well with the controller?

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

TheDarkFlame posted:

Jittery, ugly piece of poo poo. Looks and plays like someone tried to recreate Minecraft in Skyrim but didn't really know what they were doing. With upmarket PC hardware behind it, maybe it becomes a decent game, but it's not worth it on console. You'll suffer more from the framerate than the zombies

It's not jittery on PC but still looks like absolute dog poo poo graphically and feels clunky as hell. It's another game that hides behind its Early Access status as a defense why it has received next to no polish in the THREE years it's been on sale.

e: THREE years its been on Steam jesus christ

FadedReality fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 26, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

poptart_fairy posted:

Does Invis Inc work well with the controller?

yeah its not bad. takes a minute to get used to it but they put little icons up that you rotate between to choose your actions and you never need to navigate menus or anything that was designed for a mouse. the issue on ps4 is that the final mission chugs like hell but the rest of the game runs well.

on all platforms the isometric view makes it kinda hard to see whats going on when the rooms/halls are tight but its not a big deal

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

TheDarkFlame posted:

Enemy Within is basically an enhanced version of Enemy Unknown, yeah. You don't strictly need to play it though, I don't know that you gain anything except an understanding of the way it all works, and then you'd have to learn how XCom 2 does things differently. You don't need to know the plot or concepts behind Enemy Unknown to enjoy XCom 2 as it doesn't really follow on as such, and it explains itself quite well as it goes, but there are connections and familiarities. If you do insist on playing EU, definitely play it before XCom 2 as the later game builds off the same system and adds a lot more to it. XCom 2 is harder, puts more pressure on you, and gives you a lot more options but you don't need to have bean Enemy Unknown to give it a shot.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Ok thanks for the responses.

I went ahead and picked up Enemy Unknown for the $5 last night, but I think I'll hold off on Enemy Within for the time being. Excited to fire it up today.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

ImpAtom posted:

Because people complained nonstop about DDN's artstyle from the moment it was first shown and the only people who care about DD nowadays are deep in nostalgialand so it makes more sense to cater to that.

Pretty much. It's sad when people just blow off DD Neon because of it's art style. I mean the game is so goddamn 80s, the music is great, the one liners the brothers say to each other are hilarious.

And of course the ending song.

I'm a huge Double Dragon fan though, so that DD4 video makes me very happy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think you can buy enemy within separately on console, can you? like if you buy the thing labeled enemy within, it's the base game bundled with the expansion

there's also absolutely zero reason to buy the base game but not the expansion for xcom

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think you can buy enemy within separately on console, can you? like if you buy the thing labeled enemy within, it's the base game bundled with the expansion

there's also absolutely zero reason to buy the base game but not the expansion for xcom

Nope. It was only released with the expansion which was kind of controversial at the time.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Speaking of xcom, any chance xcom 2 goes on sale this week? Or did I miss it? I know it was on sale Black Friday, and I am kicking myself for skipping that sale.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Wonderllama posted:

Speaking of xcom, any chance xcom 2 goes on sale this week? Or did I miss it? I know it was on sale Black Friday, and I am kicking myself for skipping that sale.

it was in the christmas sale. dunno if that's still going or not

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Manatee Cannon posted:

it was in the christmas sale. dunno if that's still going or not

It appears not to be. Loll. Loll at me.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
What is everyone's first planned purchase of 2017 for their PS4? I am thinking either Resident Evil 7 or Hitman season 1 for me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wonderllama posted:

If it makes you feel any better it's been on sale at least 3 times this month and the lowest it dropped was like $45 so you didn't miss out on any once n a lifetime screaming deals.

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

What is everyone's first planned purchase of 2017 for their PS4? I am thinking either Resident Evil 7 or Hitman season 1 for me.

I kind of wish this onslaught on my wallet was over but the next couple of months are full of stuff I want too. RE7, Gravity Rush, Nier, Horizon zero dawn...

RE7 is definetly my next new game purchase but I am also weak with the Flash sales.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 26, 2016

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Ratchet & Clank and then Final Fantasy XV when they patch the story.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Cause DD Neon has interesting art and a good sound track and is a bad game. The gameplay is super unfun.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Probably Horizon Zero Dawn if it lives up to the hype.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

persona and nier are the only games I'm absolutely gonna get next year. everything else I can wait on if I need to

Wonderllama posted:

it's still $30 on steam if you can run it on pc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Xcom 2 is in the UK january sale on PSN for £25 til the 20th of january, which is seriously tempting me. And Dying light: The Following Enhanced Edition is £16, which is also tempting... Thing is I already have Dishonoured 2 sitting waiting to be played, and I'm about a third of the way through Uncharted 3... I just keep playing Let it Die and Overwatch instead of my new games, so I cant help feeling I'm about to spend 40 quid adding 2 games I'll never get around to playing to my backlog... On the other hand the next new thing I'm interested in I think is Neir Automata, and thats months away.

Anyway long story short I'm going to spend the next few days weighing it up before spending money adding to my backlog. And Neir Automata looks good having enjoyed Neir on the 360 (am away for xmas at the moment so havent tried the demo yet).

• Locked thread