Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

orcinus posted:

This is getting ridiculous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok1lWEq2Q-Q

I like it.

Isn't that being made in Unity?

Bunch of guys making a way better FPS game in a second language than "videogame legend Chris Roberts" and his 350 lackeys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

This whole mess has made me really appreciate publishers, and accountability in general, in game dev and all things.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

BeefThief posted:

This whole mess has made me really appreciate publishers, and accountability in general, in game dev and all things.

Long live Ubisoft

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

HycoCam posted:

But side note--I was this backer in 2013! I gifted my nephew a Freelancer package for Christmas in 2013 and was smug in the belief I was the coolest uncle ever. Fast forward a few months and I asked if he had tried Arena Commander only to learn he had traded the package for Steam credits. He was twelve at the time and in his words, "I hate to break it to you, but that Star Citizen game is never going to come out." Took me a few more weeks after that until I came to understand his wisdom.

You've told this story before and it's one of my favorites from the thread. Good on your nephew for realizing what he had and cashing out.

From the mouths of babes.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Long live Ubisoft

Ubisoft went through this MMO dev poo poo many years ago with Shadowbane...I remember getting my hopes up for that and getting burned 15 years ago and it pains me so to see the shitizens digging deeper in the pee well

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I watched my neighbor chucking a shoe into a tree for 45 minutes yesterday. I didn't watch all of it of course, I'm not a masochist, but I kept checking in.

Apparently, one of the family kids came over and got a little drone for Christmas. It was quickly lodged 30 feet up on a tree branch.

It made me think of a child getting gifted a Star Citizen package. Your ship is stuck in branches (Lumberyard, get it?), and someone's chucking a shoe at it.

The drone was probably only 10% of the price, and they at least got to fly it for a little bit. Clearly a better deal.

I just went out and checked. It's still up there. It looks lodged in such a way that it might possibly be up there until the branch comes down. There's no way to climb to it, ladder is clearly is impossible. Cherry picker maybe, but why bother for a $20 drone.

Keep chucking shoes at it, crobbler.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Rad Russian posted:

Yes Chris Roberts, the man that had no idea how zero gravity actually works in the video with Richard Garriott, based his game "from the beginning" on cloud computing. Right. He's been out of the tech industry for something like 15 years. I'm pretty sure he has no idea what cloud computing even is. He's not a smart person at all, and that's backed by a mountain of evidence form selecting the worst possible engine for a MMO, to contracting Illfonic, to paying 60 million for mocap that can't be imported into CryEngine. He acts smart but has no idea about how any of the technologies he blabbers about actually function.

His "instanced cloud meshes of servers" nonsense word vomit he released as proof of how he will support 1000 players sound exactly like "internet is a series of tubes" to anyone with even a even a basic background in computer networking. He's a total idiot.

Cloud is dumb buzzword bullshit, except for the server virtualization stuff (which is really awesome), the only actually cool and good thing about cloud. All the rest is bog standard co-location datacenter stuff. I remember when cloud was going to fix everything for XBox One.

I can't wait for Amazon to "mesh" servers for his instances.

What the hell happened to all the in-house mocap stuff they had as a stretch goal? Didn't they buy 4 studios worth, or some poo poo?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

XK posted:

I watched my neighbor chucking a shoe into a tree for 45 minutes yesterday. I didn't watch all of it of course, I'm not a masochist, but I kept checking in.

Apparently, one of the family kids came over and got a little drone for Christmas. It was quickly lodged 30 feet up on a tree branch.

It made me think of a child getting gifted a Star Citizen package. Your ship is stuck in branches (Lumberyard, get it?), and someone's chucking a shoe at it.

The drone was probably only 10% of the price, and they at least got to fly it for a little bit. Clearly a better deal.

I just went out and checked. It's still up there. It looks lodged in such a way that it might possibly be up there until the branch comes down. There's no way to climb to it, ladder is clearly is impossible. Cherry picker maybe, but why bother for a $20 drone.

Keep chucking shoes at it, crobbler.

I've seen a few Husbans develop sentience and try to escape. These are two of the more successful ways I've found to retrieve them:

https://www.amazon.com/BLUNT-ARCHERY-ARROW-POINTS-UNIVERSAL/dp/B007SPJBIM

https://www.amazon.com/PockeTech-Blades-Doesnt-UPGRADED-Throwing/dp/B01D6H9E78

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

I love these.

It doesn't matter whether or not you can logically deny the accusation that Citizenry is a cult - you gave your money to an incompetent and Star Citizen is never coming out.

It doesn't matter what branch of CryEngine Lumberyard represents, what version of the game released, and whether or not it did so by the end of 2016 - you gave your money to an incompetent and Star Citizen is never coming out.

It doesn't matter who Derek Smart is, if his games are good, or if his opinions matter or not - you gave your money to an incompetent and Star Citizen is never coming out.

It doesn't matter if goons are "evil", "jealous", or any number of other adjectives you can come up with - you gave your money to an incompetent and Star Citizen is never coming out.

It's possible to win every battle and still lose the war - and with Chris Roberts, it's actually unavoidable. Next time back someone who isn't an inept piece of poo poo.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

HycoCam posted:

I've seen a few Husbans develop sentience and try to escape. These are two of the more successful ways I've found to retrieve them:

https://www.amazon.com/BLUNT-ARCHERY-ARROW-POINTS-UNIVERSAL/dp/B007SPJBIM

https://www.amazon.com/PockeTech-Blades-Doesnt-UPGRADED-Throwing/dp/B01D6H9E78

It's way up there, with plenty of branches below. Plus it's over a street, lightly traveled, but still an annoyance, and with parked cars to avoid damaging. That poo poo is up there unless something plucks it free, or until it falls down and gets run over.

Frankly, I was just waiting for the shoe to get stuck.

XK fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 26, 2016

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Crobbler forever hucking a shoe into tree.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Rad Russian posted:

to paying 60 million for mocap that can't be imported into CryEngine
What the gently caress did they mocap, that costs that much?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Derek is so important around here we loving banned him so Lowtax could get his :tenbux:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Have you heard of mopping floors?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Everything, multiple times, inefficiently.

Furry Hunter
May 5, 2005
Professional Fursecutor
All I wanted to do was play a modern wing commander. Now i'm a Bezosian LumberTard

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Samizdata posted:

Gotta ask, sorry. Does she yell "GO FASTA, LOUSY MECH!"??

Usually it's "BEEP BEEP!"

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Goobs posted:

bart tax

:3: Want to pet this kitty.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Don't modern military aircraft have this feature? I thought as soon as a plane detected someone had missile lock on it, it started screaming and flashing lights at the pilot to let him know he's going to die in a few seconds if he doesn't do something.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Sunswipe posted:

Don't modern military aircraft have this feature? I thought as soon as a plane detected someone had missile lock on it, it started screaming and flashing lights at the pilot to let him know he's going to die in a few seconds if he doesn't do something.

A RWR is a little more complex, it uses symbology and a 360 degree display to communicate threat type, altitude and bearing.

The 29 in a diamond indicates a MiG-29 that is actively painting you for a radar guided missile shot. The upwards carat indicates he is above you.

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 26, 2016

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Reality is dumbed down, says those who have the least contact with it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

orcinus posted:

This is getting ridiculous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok1lWEq2Q-Q

I like it.

Every time they post something I want it more and more. It really does look incredible.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Combat Pretzel posted:

Gary Oldman.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

They paid Gary Oldman, Gillian Anderson, Mark Hamill, and some other actors to mocap their parts in the game multiple times because they kept loving up.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ewe2 posted:

Promise me that if the game actually comes out, Goons will adopt Kilrathi avatars and meowing speech packs the better to taunt their victims with.

That was the goal 4 years ago when there was thought that there might actually be a game to do that in.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Sandweed posted:

Derek is so important around here we loving banned him so Lowtax could get his :tenbux:

And people in the thread are super deferential to him and never mock him. :rolleyes:

Or his games.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/813437631522623488

How the gently caress would you know, Ben?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

They rented this place for something like 3-4 months:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Imaginarium_Studios

This in between shoots for poo poo like avengers and star wars.

XK posted:

Cloud is dumb buzzword bullshit, except for the server virtualization stuff

Yeah, cloud is really loving cool if you're a server admin.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Mirificus posted:

reddit idiocy

hmmm yes an "arcade mode idiot light" such as the RWR / MLWS in every modern military aircraft has no place in the most fidelitous space game of all time

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

http://wccftech.com/star-citizen-switches-engines/
Erin Roberts lumberyard comment

quote:

Thanks for getting in touch. As you’ve (correctly) surmised, any suggestions that the engine switch would have a major impact on our development couldn’t be further from reality. Lumberyard is completely based on Cryengine, yet with a lot of improvements. As a consequence, we do not have to change the fundamental core engine at all which is why this change has had absolutely no effect on our development of Star Citizen.

The advantage of Lumberyard is that we get great ongoing support on the cloud / networking side from Amazon as well as great tools support while continuing uninterrupted development on what we have built up over the last 4 years. As we’ve tried to explain many times before, we have pretty much rewritten 50% of what we licensed 4 years ago now, even in core systems from Cryengine. What is great is that everything we have reworked, also now seamlessly integrates into Lumberyard, and the engine switch has not required any extra engineering time. We are actually very lucky that this opportunity presented itself to work with a powerful and committed company like Amazon that is investing heavily in its tech. This collaboration will effectively allow us to do more for our community going forward without costing us really anything in terms of engineering time or otherwise, so it is a win-win situation and good news all around.

shortened Tldr

quote:

As you’ve (correctly) surmised, any suggestions that the engine switch would have a major impact on our development couldn’t be further from reality. Lumberyard is completely based on Cryengine, yet with a lot of improvements. As a consequence, we do not have to change the fundamental core engine at all which is why this change has had absolutely no effect on our development of Star Citizen.

As we’ve tried to explain many times before, we have pretty much rewritten 50% of what we licensed 4 years ago now, even in core systems from Cryengine. What is great is that everything we have reworked, also now seamlessly integrates into Lumberyard, and the engine switch has not required any extra engineering time.

will effectively allow us to do more for our community going forward without costing us really anything in terms of engineering time or otherwise,

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Truga posted:

Yeah, cloud is really loving cool if you're a server admin.

Server virtualization really is cool as poo poo.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Xaerael posted:

Isn't that being made in Unity?

Bunch of guys making a way better FPS game in a second language than "videogame legend Chris Roberts" and his 350 lackeys.

Yup, that's Unity.
They do have the advantage of working on STALKER before this (well, some of them), though :D

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

Cloud computing is pretty easy to understand, it's Dropbox or sometimes Google Drive
If you tell your coders to just do it and they tell you it can't be done and start trying to confuse you with their knowledge or experience, you just have to whip them harder. Eventually they'll learn that your vision will always win. Or the next coders you hire will learn that. Or the ones after that.

(Pro tip: they work faster if you yell "MESH! MESH!" while your grabby hands are swooping that whip around!)

Anyway, congratulations to CIG for finally taking their game engine out behind the woodshed over to Lumberyard or whatever. I'm sure everything will work great now. :rolleyes:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Samizdata posted:

Yeah, but Lumberyard doesn't have all those years of custom CIG work, I mean, seriously, they rewrote about HALF of CryEngine. And it only took a couple of the engineers a day or so to port those changes... Wait. What? That's all bullshit. As much as their terribly open development not telling you about the engine change a year ago and it only taking two or some mandays to port the changes over. Which sort of makes you wonder what they have been doing with the rest of the time.

I got into this argument with someone on another forum who told me it was because big long complicated business deals take a long time to work out with all the lawyers and offers/counter offers.

I replied with this,

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/12/24/star-citizen-has-changed-game-engines

quote:

I've had a response from CIG director of communications, David Swofford, to say that the relationship between CIG and Amazon is that of them being a regular licensee of Amazon's technology.

Guess it took 11 months and 28 days to figure out a cool email address they would use in the signup process

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Regrettable posted:

They paid Gary Oldman, Gillian Anderson, Mark Hamill, and some other actors to mocap their parts in the game multiple times because they kept loving up.
Like it wouldn't have been economically more viable to mocap some kids on the street and have these guys just voice over it?

Money well spent I guess.

--edit:
Also, I'm not entirely sure why those idiots consider SC the most openly developed game.

I've been with Project CARS and now part two, and granted, the signup time was limited to a couple of weeks, but for a small advance (I put 100€ in PC1, got 300€ out), I get daily change logs, developer reports and daily builds. I don't see people paying a couple of grands for JPEG ships getting anything the like in return.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 26, 2016

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Quite spreading FUD carebear. They work for free, remember?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Like it wouldn't have been economically more viable to mocap some kids on the street and have these guys just voice over it?

Money well spent I guess.

--edit:
Also, I'm not entirely sure why those idiots consider SC the most openly developed game.

I've been with Project CARS and now part two, and granted, the signup time was limited to a couple of weeks, but for a small advance (I put 100€ in PC1, got 300€ out), I get daily change logs, developer reports and daily builds. I don't see people paying a couple of grands for JPEG ships getting anything the like in return.

If they did that, how could Chris Roberts, cinematic visionary and maestro, play out his Hollywood dreams albeit being exiled to Hollywood purgatory due to pissing Kevin Costner off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004