Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Craptacular! posted:

All CM web and backend materials are gone apparently in an act of petty malice, as Cyanogen Inc apparently decided that if the project leads were going to badmouth them then they weren't going to host their shizz any longer.

CM started as a dude's mod for the first T-Mobile android phone. Soon it turned into a project for a whole bunch of devices. Cyanogen himself was briefly employed by Samsung and has kept at least a little distance from what the project was doing, and even more distance as it went commercial, much in the same way that Wozniak has not been a big part of day-to-day Apple for decades.

Lol. On the plus side apparently a user on reddit started archiving all the releases out of fear that something like this might happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Blergh, my 5X just got the dreaded boot loop, about 300 miles from my airport, on vacation

I bought my phone new from Ebay, will I still qualify for the LG refund?

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/nexus-5x-lg-refunds/

More blerg: I'm on Project Fi so I can't just swap in the SIM for another phone, can I? Am I really phoneless for two weeks until I return home?

This really screws me, I depend on my phone for uber (don't own a car) and work, as an alarm clock etc etc. The 128gb Nexus 5 Pixel won't even ship until the 28th if I want it in silver, Jan 4th if I want it in black.

edit: Google Fi customer service says that my SIM may still work in data only mode, just that I won't be able to make voice calls? All I need (or use!) it for is Uber and... well I guess WhatsApp needs a phone. But Uber is a start...

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 26, 2016

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hadlock posted:

Blergh, my 5X just got the dreaded boot loop, about 300 miles from my airport, on vacation

I bought my phone new from Ebay, will I still qualify for the LG refund?

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/nexus-5x-lg-refunds/

More blerg: I'm on Project Fi so I can't just swap in the SIM for another phone, can I? Am I really phoneless for two weeks until I return home?

This really screws me, I depend on my phone for uber (don't own a car) and work, as an alarm clock etc etc. The 128gb Nexus 5 Pixel won't even ship until the 28th if I want it in silver, Jan 4th if I want it in black.

You can use your project fi sim in a phone with T-Mobile support, it will just be locked to only using that network and you're not "supposed" to do it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rexxed posted:

You can use your project fi sim in a phone with T-Mobile support, it will just be locked to only using that network and you're not "supposed" to do it.

Does it need to be an unlocked tmobile phone or can it be a locked one that I pick up at best buy or something and swap in the SIM?

Going to go ahead and order a 128GB Nexus 5 Pixel (offline Netflix VR!) but won't arrive until first or second week of January :( Will need something in the mean time

Or maybe I can pick up a Moto G4 temporarily unlocked from Fry's or something? What's the best option here. Blergh, I have an old Moto G 2nd gen just sitting at home, but it's in the wrong state.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 26, 2016

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hadlock posted:

Does it need to be an unlocked tmobile phone or can it be a locked one that I pick up at best buy or something and swap in the SIM?

Going to go ahead and order a 128GB Nexus 5 Pixel (offline Netflix VR!) but won't arrive until first or second week of January :( Will need something in the mean time

Or maybe I can pick up a Moto G4 temporarily unlocked from Fry's or something? What's the best option here. Blergh, I have an old Moto G 2nd gen just sitting at home, but it's in the wrong state.

I'm honestly not sure if a locked t-mobile phone will work. I'd guess not due to sprint mnvo's not allowing their phones to be used on other sprint mnvo's, but don't know for certain since this is a similar situation but not exactly the same. An unlocked phone will probably be the best bet, and the G4 play is pretty snappy if you want to go that way..

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I am seeing about 15 unlocked G4 Plays available at various Targets in the San Antonio area. I'll just have to hope there's not some big boxing day sale on them monday morning... Super annoying, as I have an unlocked moto "G2" sitting on my desk at home, 1500 miles away. I guess that will be traveling with me as a backup going forward if this works.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I really doubt there will be a Boxing Day sale in San Antonio.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

mango sentinel posted:

Are you sure you're not holding in a way that's occluding the sensor?

Where is the sensor? I'm holding it pretty normally, but my thought was maybe the case is covering it - I'm guessing it's somewhere near the front camera/earpiece? If so it's not covered.

For example last night I turned on my phone and it was at about 30% brightness even though I was in a completely dark room.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

bull3964 posted:

I really doubt there will be a Boxing Day sale in San Antonio.

This made me chuckle quite a bit.

If you drop your sim into a phone with T-Mobile band support everything will work, including calls and texts. It's against the ToS but as long as you're waiting for another Fi compatible phone to be delivered I doubt you'll get any grief for it (and from my research a few weeks ago, I haven't heard of anyone getting the boot for it at all).

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

tupacalypse posted:

Any opinions on the LG V20? I might be getting one this week.

It's the best LG phone you can buy right now with all the good and bad stuff that entails.

If you're not a regular in the thread, that means good battery life, screen (with very small bezels) and camera on one hand, very bloated software with weird gimmicks like the second screen, unknown (but not great) software update situation, controversial power/volume buttons on the back on the other. It's expensive too, so unless you're getting a huge deal on one, you'd be better off with a Pixel, which has just as good, if not better screen, camera and battery life, AND decent software that is actually updated, supported and optimized by Google, so you have a device that is much more responsive to touch and feels extremely fast.

Basically, if you got a V20 as a Christmas gift, or if you're the world's biggest LG fan, it's a decent phone. It just doesn't have much of a place in a world where the Pixel XL exists.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 26, 2016

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I considered V20 but very soon realized no one sells it in Europe. Welp went to the nearest local phone shop and took a OP3 home with me.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SgtScruffy posted:

Where is the sensor? I'm holding it pretty normally, but my thought was maybe the case is covering it - I'm guessing it's somewhere near the front camera/earpiece? If so it's not covered.

For example last night I turned on my phone and it was at about 30% brightness even though I was in a completely dark room.
What does "30% brightness" mean? How are you measuring that? You do realise that the slider doesn't move by itself, right? So basically you can set the rough level of brightness with the slider and then it will also adjust itself within certain limits.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Update: I'm on a Moto G4, had to wiggle the super micro SIM around in the mini SIM slot or whatever they call it, then had to pick T-Mobile as my carrier, and things started to work but got a bunch of texts about how my voicemail was broken. After a reboot it now shows that I'm on Project Fi and things seem to be generally working. I can text and use WhatsApp, Facebook and Uber which is all I really use this thing for.

Tempted to just go buy another Nexus 5x but I don't want to deal with this ever again. I can't believe LG is having major issues with one of their flagship devices and nobody is giving them flak for it. I guess they were just hoping that the flimsy hardware could make it to the one year mark and then they'd be off the hook. Very surprising to see people recommending LG devices in this thread.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Here's a stupid question that's not an Android Thread topic exactly, but...

Wife's 2013 Moto X finally poo poo the bed. She's wanting to do the Google financing thing to get a Pixel.

However, we're going to be financing a home purchase in a month or two as well as a car purchase shortly thereafter and she's worried about her credit score. How does the Google financing thing show up your credit report? In particular she's worried it will show up like a credit card with 100% balance utilization and as she doesn't have any other credit cards it'll adversely affect her score.

This much a topic for a thread in another forum except for the part I doubt I'd come across someone in another thread who has an idea how the Google financing thing shows up on your credit report.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well...for the record, apparently 6ps are starting to boot loop too.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Bootloop-issues-reported-by-many-Nexus-6P-users_id89396

So...who knows what's going on now.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hadlock posted:

Very surprising to see people recommending LG devices in this thread.

There's several parts to this:

1. The most active thread participants don't keep devices long enough for long-term issues to come to the forefront.
2. It's not clear that there is an actual widespread issue as a percentage of devices.
3. Manufacturers have "won" in the sense that people have just kind of gotten apathetic about how much support they expect out of them long term.

In other words, it's not really surprising at all.

If you care about long term support your best choices are still going to be Google devices and I think maybe Samsung at least when it comes to warranty issues (not software updates though).

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 26, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Barf, I hope it isn't a faulty TPM chip, that would be a likely device that's shared by the 5x and 6p... and maybe also the Pixel devices. I need Project Fi for travel, but I also need my devices to not randomly brick themselves. If the device had given some warning first, that's one thing. I was able to limp my Moto X first gen for three months until my next device. I couldn't even get my holiday photos of my grandparents off the phone with this failure. I've never ever had a device just die like that in my hands before.

Who makes the 6p?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

If you care about long term support your best choices are still going to be Google devices and I think maybe Samsung at least when it comes to warranty issues (not software updates though).

Or iPhone.

Hadlock posted:

Who makes the 6p?

Huawei.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Wife's 2013 Moto X finally poo poo the bed. She's wanting to do the Google financing thing to get a Pixel.

However, we're going to be financing a home purchase in a month or two as well as a car purchase shortly thereafter and she's worried about her credit score. How does the Google financing thing show up your credit report? In particular she's worried it will show up like a credit card with 100% balance utilization and as she doesn't have any other credit cards it'll adversely affect her score.

This much a topic for a thread in another forum except for the part I doubt I'd come across someone in another thread who has an idea how the Google financing thing shows up on your credit report.

I can't speak to most of your question but they give you $2000, so you're not using the entire balance.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hadlock posted:

I couldn't even get my holiday photos of my grandparents off the phone with this failure. I've never ever had a device just die like that in my hands before.

You should use Google photos.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Taffer posted:

I don't know why anyone wouldn't, at this point.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Taffer posted:

Protip: it's also a good idea to use Google for your contacts, email, browser, and life companion

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

It makes the best life companion. I dumped my wife for Google

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

RVProfootballer posted:

Protip: it's also a good idea to use Google for your contacts, email, browser, and life companion

I would say Apple, but they screwed up my keychain and it is lost in :yayclod: so I have to talk to support about getting it back.

Just got a new Samsung and it's nice how easily everything integrates.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

syscall girl posted:

I would say Apple, but they screwed up my keychain and it is lost in :yayclod: so I have to talk to support about getting it back.

Just got a new Samsung and it's nice how easily everything integrates.

The nice thing about Samsungs is the way they disable all of the syncing features by default so you can still lose your data like it's the 90s. I mean, that's only a problem if they do something unprecedented like design a phone so badly that it explodes so it's nothing that should impact anyone...

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

The nice thing about Samsungs is the way they disable all of the syncing features by default so you can still lose your data like it's the 90s. I mean, that's only a problem if they do something unprecedented like design a phone so badly that it explodes so it's nothing that should impact anyone...

It were cheap. And it runs marshmallow, syncs nice contacts and such pretty well. :shrug:

I'm new to the droid phone scene but I have no complaints as yet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Running obsolete software is nothing to be praised for

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Can anyone with Samsung device experience help me out? Trying to figure out a way to use Tasker or Nova Launcher (or whatever non-root method would work) to automate switching screen mode when launching certain apps. Like switching to Reading Mode when launching Kindle, or Cinema when using Netflix, etc.

This thing:

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
No longer broke so I'm looking for a phone to replace my 2nd gen Moto E. I've actually kind of enjoyed using this phone over the past few months but I'm tired of owning a poverty phone.

Anyone have any experience with the Moto G4+? It's either that or a 5x. I've also been looking at the OPO 3T but I'd have to wait a month or so before I could afford that (with my current poverty line budget).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

No longer broke so I'm looking for a phone to replace my 2nd gen Moto E. I've actually kind of enjoyed using this phone over the past few months but I'm tired of owning a poverty phone.

Anyone have any experience with the Moto G4+? It's either that or a 5x. I've also been looking at the OPO 3T but I'd have to wait a month or so before I could afford that (with my current poverty line budget).

I'd honestly pick the G4+ given the issues the 5x has been having and the price to which you are constrained.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Coldforge posted:

Can anyone with Samsung device experience help me out? Trying to figure out a way to use Tasker or Nova Launcher (or whatever non-root method would work) to automate switching screen mode when launching certain apps. Like switching to Reading Mode when launching Kindle, or Cinema when using Netflix, etc.

This thing:

Adapt display should, in theory, already do that for you. Personally I picked the one I liked best overall and never thought about it again.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

LastInLine posted:

I'd honestly pick the G4+ given the issues the 5x has been having and the price to which you are constrained.

What issues?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Thermopyle posted:

I don't have immediate experience with it (I paid for my Pixel out of pocket), but assuming it works like every other financing program does, it'll show up as a store card with a limit that will likely (though not necessarily) be higher than your purchase amount. It would also affect your average age of accounts if you apply, so keep that in mind, too.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

64bit_Dophins posted:

Considering you're still looking at phones that are just beyond the poverty line maybe you should save some of that money instead of blowing it on the next incremental step up

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Desk Lamp posted:

Adapt display should, in theory, already do that for you. Personally I picked the one I liked best overall and never thought about it again.

It definitely does not. I'm most interested in it for ebooks, as the reading mode uses a noticeably much "softer," more yellow light, and switching to it manually is the only way to get the effect.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

64bit_Dophins posted:

My 5x ate it this morning due to a known hardware problem, so now I'm using a Moto G4. Functionally the G4 is identical to the 5x, the big exception being the lack of a fingerprint reader on the back, holy poo poo do I ever miss that. Typing in your PIN each time to use your phone is for plebeians.

I guess maybe it's technically not as powerful and the screen isn't as sharp or something, but I'll be damned if I can tell the difference.

Oh, and the 5x camera is pretty dang amazing. I'm no Facebook diva but multiple times people have asked me what camera I'm taking those photos with.

So if you can live without the world class camera and fingerprint reader they're very similar for normal tasks.

If you're on (or switch to) Project Fi you can get the 5x for $50 more than the G4

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

What issues?

Hardware failure. For devices in warranty, LG has no more parts to fix them nor replacements to offer and has been issuing full refunds for the devices as they are completely unrepairable.

Really SB35 probably has the best advice here since there's barely a difference between the abject poverty phone and the poverty phone you're looking at. Really if $100 is that make or break to you, you should be saving your money rather than pissing it away on something that will require replacement just as quickly as the thing it's replacing.

Hadlock posted:

My 5x ate it this morning due to a known hardware problem, so now I'm using a Moto G4. Functionally the G4 is identical to the 5x, the big exception being the lack of a fingerprint reader on the back, holy poo poo do I ever miss that. Typing in your PIN each time to use your phone is for plebeians.

I guess maybe it's technically not as powerful and the screen isn't as sharp or something, but I'll be damned if I can tell the difference.

Oh, and the 5x camera is pretty dang amazing. I'm no Facebook diva but multiple times people have asked me what camera I'm taking those photos with.

So if you can live without the world class camera and fingerprint reader they're very similar for normal tasks.

If you're on (or switch to) Project Fi you can get the 5x for $50 more than the G4

He's looking at the G4+ which has a fingerprint reader.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Coldforge posted:

It definitely does not. I'm most interested in it for ebooks, as the reading mode uses a noticeably much "softer," more yellow light, and switching to it manually is the only way to get the effect.

Well I don't use Tasker so I can't help you there, but long pressing on the screen rotate toggle will take you straight to the display settings where you can change modes.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Thermopyle posted:

It would be considered a personal loan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kreeblah posted:

I don't have immediate experience with it (I paid for my Pixel out of pocket), but assuming it works like every other financing program does, it'll show up as a store card with a limit that will likely (though not necessarily) be higher than your purchase amount. It would also affect your average age of accounts if you apply, so keep that in mind, too.

This also doesn't turn into an issue unless your credit is already like <650 and you're bumping against 40% debt service to income.

Dr. FAUXTON and I just closed on the 16th but went with a home that was like a quarter of our preapproval and our debt ratio was something like 20% even with our student loans. It wasn't even mentioned as a thing that I'd gone and bought myself a Pixel and her a $700 bicycle for our anniversary, both of which went on a CC. I'm not that kind of banker (I'm an AML investigator) and she's not that kind of doctor (PhD in pharmacology and experimental neuroscience) but we do well enough.