Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

To add to that, Dying Light is the most fun you can have with just the core movement mechanic (so ignoring all other story, enemies, combat, everything else - just traversing the world) since at least Crackdown. If you are into the feeling of moving through space and being rewarded for taking leaps of faith, you will adore Dying Light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

The Division also has some truly problematic themes and if you're the sort of person to examine your media critically it has rather unflattering things to say.

I kinda felt it went so far as to become either satirical or mockable, depending on your opinion of the writing staff. You're a secret government agent with basically unlimited power and zero oversight gunning down minorities and the working class in the name of order.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Deep Thoreau posted:

Gonna get some pinball, what are some of the top tables?
dont listen to that person that said all the marvel tables are bad lol

my favorite in the game is probably infinity gauntlet. the new women of marvel tables are pretty cool too. stay far away from civil war and i dont like the avengers tables much

other good ones are portal, bobs burgers, the force awakens pack and the soccer table (its fun even if you dont care about soccer).

others are good too but this is off the top of my head, feel free to ask about specific tables you might be interested in. i have them all and over 100 hours in the game.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Awesome! posted:

dont listen to that person that said all the marvel tables are bad lol
das me.

it should be noted, you can trial any board for free, so do try them out. For instance, the Venom board. Try that unfun mess for 3 minutes and ask yourself if you want to spend money to have a game spit in your face. Some people are into that, :shrug:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

every sale i do the card things trying to get 1 set for the lvl 1 badge. every sale i get 3-4 of every single card except for 1 which i get zero of. why do you do this to me gabe

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

das me.

it should be noted, you can trial any board for free, so do try them out. For instance, the Venom board. Try that unfun mess for 3 minutes and ask yourself if you want to spend money to have a game spit in your face. Some people are into that, :shrug:

it does seem like not many people play venom. i have like 90 million on it and that is by far the highest among my friends which is strange. it is a weird table but once you learn it i think its pretty cool. the breakout thing just gets really repetitive because i suck at it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

betamax hipster posted:

I kinda felt it went so far as to become either satirical or mockable, depending on your opinion of the writing staff. You're a secret government agent with basically unlimited power and zero oversight gunning down minorities and the working class in the name of order.

The only people you gun down are murdering anarchists, rogue mercenaries, psycho escaped inmates, and genocidal whackos who think the only way to stop the plauge is to burn everyone in New York alive.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Awesome! posted:

every sale i do the card things trying to get 1 set for the lvl 1 badge. every sale i get 3-4 of every single card except for 1 which i get zero of. why do you do this to me gabe

Sell the extras and buy the card you need with your new money!

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

How is The Evil Within. Don't recall seeing anyone talk about it.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

My favourite Pinball FX tables are Sorcerer's Lair (free) and Epic Quest. My main problem with the other tables is that they are too flashy for my taste. Plus some voice sample every ten secs gets annoying. Honestly if it weren't for the price tag I'd probably go with Pinball Arcade.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i prefer the pinball in pinball arcade but jesus am i sick of farsight the company. every patch introduces new bugs while old ones remain

its to the point where i cant really bring myself to recommend people give them money anymore

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The only people you gun down are murdering anarchists, rogue mercenaries, psycho escaped inmates, and genocidal whackos who think the only way to stop the plauge is to burn everyone in New York alive.

Yes, this is how minorities and leftists are portrayed in conservative media.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Anyone have any thoughts on Evoland 2? I remember enjoying the gimmick of the first one, but that it was short and just kinda ended.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Awesome! posted:

You can have my cards if you want, like, three of them.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Is it a fun "gently caress around" game like Just Cause is fun "gently caress around" game? Because I'm not a huge fan of Just Cause, but I have been trying to figure out if I should pick up Dying Light for a few months now.
It's mainly about coming up with methods of clearing out whole streets of zombies. At first you'll be running away from them but once you get more buff you'll be crafting an electrocuting machette and then looking for groups of zombies to try it out on or gethering grenades to see how many zombies you can tak out at once or finding a sweet spot with spiked barricades to multi-kick zombies onto.

Here's a guy performing a sliding tackle on a hazmat-suit zombie that carries an oxygen tank and when he then hits it with an electrifying club the tank goes off (and the game is insane enough to utilize physics for things like these):

Basically imagine a better melee combat system than Dark Messiah of Might and Magic + an extensive parkour system on par with Mirror's Edge + weapons crafting system straight out of Dead Rising + very detailed decapitation + a better grappling hook than in AC: Syndicate + an RPG skills and inventory system + a big open vertical city as your playground for all of that and you have Dying Light. That's not all there is to the game either though as it does lots of its own things like the day-night cycle that dramatically changes the gameplay, challenges, zombie nests etc. It's a really satisfying package.

The only thing that is not as good is the main plot. It's full of gaming cliches and takes itself way too seriously for how shallow it is but honestly that didn't really bother me here (it does bother me in many other games) because the gameplay was just too good and more than made up for the problems in that area.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 26, 2016

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Palpek posted:

The only thing that is not as good is the main plot. It's full of gaming cliches and takes itself way too seriously for how shallow it is but honestly that didn't really bother me here (it does bother me in many other games) because the gameplay was just too good and more than made up for the problems in that area.
Actually Dying Light's plot was a highlight for me. It's a story about genuinely good people. Nobody's an rear end in a top hat to move the plot along (except the bad guys), and you're constantly trying to make things better for people. It's one of the reasons the DLC is pretty meh by comparison

fenrif
Jan 12, 2010

DrNutt posted:

Yes, this is how minorities and leftists are portrayed in conservative media.

Please point me to the conservative media that portrays leftists as rogue mercenaries. That sounds awesome.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I have been eyeing Dying light a while ago before it came out, but I can't see or buy it in Germany. Isthereanydeal tells me the something called "Dying light The following enhanced edition" for 20€. Is that the version to buy?

And, would I be able to play it in Germany?
edit: apparently I can install it if it is the EU version

Hopper fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 26, 2016

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

fenrif posted:

Please point me to the conservative media that portrays leftists as rogue mercenaries. That sounds awesome.

Uh the first gang in the game is just a bunch of disorganized anarchists that are referred to as 'looters'. Like it's the kind of portrayal of 'thugs' and 'criminals' that you get by turning on Fox News or opening up Breitbart. I've had fun with the game so far but there are some places that get close to realm of right wing whacko fantasy of gunning down the urban ferals.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

My gold standard for enjoyment in any first-person or third-person action game is whether you can instant-kill melee and how it feels. Dying Light is very good on this scale. On the other hand, The Division is terrible on it

Edit: excuse me, should read Tom Clancy's The Division™

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 26, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

DrNutt posted:

Uh the first gang in the game is just a bunch of disorganized anarchists that are referred to as 'looters'. Like it's the kind of portrayal of 'thugs' and 'criminals' that you get by turning on Fox News or opening up Breitbart. I've had fun with the game so far but there are some places that get close to realm of right wing whacko fantasy of gunning down the urban ferals.

Lol, is this post real?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Wamdoodle posted:

Lol, is this post real?

No.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

kragger just bestowed a kragmas miracle upon me with dark dreams dont die and king of dragon pass :3:

im gonna gently caress with the ducks.

tight aspirations posted:

You can have my cards if you want, like, three of them.

i need 1 "just 5 more minutes" and could give a bunch of duplicates in return. i do not have an authenticator though so the trade will probably take a couple days to go through. the cards say they are good until 2/2 though

im here if you or anyone else wants to take me up on this http://steamcommunity.com/id/sa_awesome

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 26, 2016

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
With all the sales on jrpgs going on at the moment does anyone have any good recommendations? The last two I played were trails in the sky and lost odyssey, and I preferred the style of lost odyysey more.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Awesome! posted:

i need 1 "just 5 more minutes" and could give a bunch of duplicates in return. i do not have an authenticator though so the trade will probably take a couple days to go through. the cards say they are good until 2/2 though

Huh, we're friends already. I have that card, luckily, so I've sent you a trade req with it. Don't worry about the dupes.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Awesome! posted:

im here if you or anyone else wants to take me up on this http://steamcommunity.com/id/sa_awesome

I've got a just 5 more minutes thing if you want it. I don't know how to steam, but if you want it add me and we can sort it out.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Tempted by Dying Light with all the good descriptions, but here is a question: I thought the new edition was already the GOTY version with everything included - and the existence of dlc for it indicates otherwise. Is there any talk of a "ultimate" edition in the near future?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Whale Cancer posted:

How is The Evil Within. Don't recall seeing anyone talk about it.

Don't.
Ir will make you hate yourself and every horror stealth game.

Edit:
The Division used to be bad but is now good.
Dying Light was always amazing but was released at the wrong time. Honestly, I had to put down DL for a while one I realized just how HUGE the game is. I'm going to play it again once I have more time free.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 26, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Does Dying Light have much in the way of jump scares, and/or does it have elements of survival horror in it? If it's just a fun time parkouring around dropkicking zombies, I'll give it a shot.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Daytime is all bout loving around and dropkicking fools into spikes.
Nighttime isn't about jump scares but Hoooo Boy it is tense.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Someone push me one way or the other on The Sea Will Claim Everything

Also someone throw me a recommendation for someone who likes "flawed work of genius" Obsidian-type games. Stuff where the writing and ambition is beyond reproach even if the game is a bit clunky. Like Alpha Protocol, Bloodlines, New Vegas, etc.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Also someone throw me a recommendation for someone who likes "flawed work of genius" Obsidian-type games. Stuff where the writing and ambition is beyond reproach even if the game is a bit clunky. Like Alpha Protocol, Bloodlines, New Vegas, etc.

Remember Me, Spec Ops: The Line

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Antti posted:

Does Dying Light have much in the way of jump scares, and/or does it have elements of survival horror in it? If it's just a fun time parkouring around dropkicking zombies, I'll give it a shot.

It's not particularly bad during the day but at night that game can be hilariously terrifying (especially early on when you're weak) due to some very fast and very angry things walking around in the darkness.

Having one spot and chase after you for the first time is one of those video game moments one doesn't forget for a while.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Thanks for the info. I think I'll give it the 120 minute test.

For the record I'm the one person in the universe who isn't interested in playing Alien Isolation at all.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Nier, and probably Nier: Automata

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Antti posted:

I don't play "horror" games for the same reason, and made it through Dying Light while having a blast. The first few night falls are pretty intense (though you can just stay inside your safe house and not worry about it), but when you level up enough, and get decent weapons, it's fun to turn the "Hunters (as they're called I believe) into the hunted.
If you don't mind spoiling whet the Hunters look like, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8Mo4GWZJP4

The game is much better in co-op, but can be played solo.

Antti posted:

For the record I'm the one person in the universe who isn't interested in playing Alien Isolation at all.

I hear ya bud.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Antti posted:

Keep in mind that night doesn't start falling until you reach a certain (early) point in the main quest. And I'm real bad with horror myself, but I played Dying Light in co-op which is extremely fun and having someone else freak out with you makes the whole experience pretty great.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The writing is incredible, the music is even better, and it's basically a chill novel you read while admiring the whimsical graphics.

If you want to try it out before buying it, play one of the games by the same author/artist duo in the same style: The Book of Living Magic. This game made me cry, but in a good way.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

MisterBibs posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on Evoland 2? I remember enjoying the gimmick of the first one, but that it was short and just kinda ended.
I haven't played the original evoland, but I found 2 to be pretty drat enjoyable and one of the few games I played all the way through.

The different play styles that different eras afford is a cool thing, the storyline is not very deep but consistent and I found it a bit hard to follow in the end where they wrap up all the different interconnecting story lines.

It's a good game.

I really liked how the environment changes in the different eras and that the different eras never overstay their welcome. Bad parts I feel was the very unbalanced optional card game, how the final unlocks for the powers work and that awful, awful difficulty spike in the bullet hell part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Nehru the Damaja posted:

With some caveats, Temple of Elemental Evil is a pretty good tactical RPG made by Troika, who also made Vampire Bloodlines and Arcanum. (Arcanum is also one of these flawed genius games). It was, I think, the first CRPG to use D&D 3rd edition rules, and it's an unusually faithful adaptation of the tabletop system. It is, however, a very crunchy D&D conversion of a classic D&D tabletop dungeon, which isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. It's also not on Steam, but it's six bucks on GOG.

• Locked thread