Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E2M2
Mar 2, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Thats not a foul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It's clearly a foul but who cares, if this wasn't green no one would give a poo poo.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's clearly a foul but who cares, if this wasn't green no one would give a poo poo.

If you read the text of the rule,

quote:

The defender must, however, establish legal guarding position prior to the start of the offensive player’s upward motion.
You could argue that he wasn't in place long enough before he jumped, but it would be a judgement call.

quote:

To be considered vertical, a defender must:

Be in the air to defend the shot when contact occurs. If the player is on the ground inside the restricted area, with his arms “vertical” when contact occurs, he will be assessed a blocking foul.

Maintain a vertical trajectory by jumping straight up. If the player jumps toward or to the side of an oncoming player, he will be assessed a blocking foul. A player may, however, angle his jump backwards slightly in such a way as to absorb the impact of the oncoming player, and of course, he may land behind where he leapt from because of the force of the contact.

Maintain vertical alignment, with his body (arms, hands, torso, legs and feet) in a nearly straight line that is perpendicular to the floor. If a player leans his arms forward or “jackknifes” his legs toward the oncoming offensive player, he will be assessed a blocking foul.

Not turn sideways. If he does, he will be assessed a blocking foul.
https://streamable.com/13xlh
Draymond jumped with Lebron, and his body position was only changed by Lebron's hip/thigh/ arm pushing him back and to the side

It's only a foul if you don't think he was in place long enough to have 'established legal guarding position' before the jump. I'd say no foul, he'd only need to be there for a blink longer than that to get a charge

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 26, 2016

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

It's not LeBron

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

boxcarhobo posted:

It's not LeBron

Haha yeah you're right, I was just looking at bodies at not faces and Cavs instinct filled in the blanks. For what it's worth Deandre Liggins has been a fantastic d-league and summer league player, it was nice to see him getting real minutes and looking strong

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Oh George.

quote:

We’ve got a more thorough drug-testing program than the NFL or MLB, which we always brag about. But we’ve still got a drug issue, though a different one than thirty years ago. And this one bothers me more than the dumbasses who got in trouble with recreational drugs.

I’m talking about performance-enhancing drugs—like steroids, human growth hormone, and so on. It’s obvious some of our players are doping. How are some guys getting older—yet thinner and fitter? How are they recovering from injuries so fast? Why the hell are they going to Germany in the off-season? I doubt it’s for the sauerkraut.

More likely it’s for the newest, hard-to-detect blood boosters and PEDs they have in Europe. Unfortunately, drug testing always seems to be a couple steps behind drug hiding. Lance Armstrong never failed a drug test. I think we want the best athletes to succeed, not the biggest, richest cheaters employing the best scientists. But I don’t know what to do about it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Is anyone here going to read Furious George? I usually will pick up basketball related books but this one really does seem like a guy just trying to stay relevant/make a quick buck.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

If that's clearly a foul then no team could make it through a game with only 12 players and 6 fouls each.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Probably not but the refs let a lot of things go most of the time.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Hello all. Dropping by to say hello and Go Hornets!!

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Spacebump posted:

Is anyone here going to read Furious George? I usually will pick up basketball related books but this one really does seem like a guy just trying to stay relevant/make a quick buck.

I think we should remember what Zogo said, it's pretty well known that he's got a bit of fried chemo brain, so I don't really care to pile on. It might have some funny stories

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Probably not but the refs let a lot of things go most of the time.

I mean, that's kind of the gist of it when talking about fouls. The refs obviously don't call every violation they see, so the question is should that be called a foul? And I think you're crazy if you say yes; that's pretty much picture perfect rim defense, under no circumstances should that ever be called.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

ESPN has an article on how Kyrie Irving got a white woman sex boat:

quote:

"I'm naturally an Alpha," Irving told ESPN.com

Kyrie to the Bulls CONFIRMED

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
any player that talks to a ref after stoppage because of a foul should be suspended. literally no call has been overturned by talking to them a minute after, stop wasting time

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Tae posted:

any player that talks to a ref after stoppage because of a foul should be suspended. literally no call has been overturned by talking to them a minute after, stop wasting time

what about stopping to whine at a ref instead of playing defense, asking for a friend

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I know this is your weird gimmick now but agreed.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Oh George.

quote:

Unfortunately, drug testing always seems to be a couple steps behind drug hiding. Lance Armstrong never failed a drug test.
It's annoying to me this keeps getting trotted out. Armstrong failed several drug tests throughout his career, he just either had them waived off due to special medical exemptions he kept inventing or they were flat out suppressed by the UCI because he was 'donating' six figures to them every year.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

*looks at picture of draymond forming nearly an L with his body*

NOT A FOUL :downs:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/PelicansNBA/status/813508403989356544

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
https://twitter.com/NBARefStats/status/813509057461899264

http://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2016/12/L2M-GSW-CLE-12-25-16.pdf

Still shouldn't have let the Cavs get back into the game, but hell it was just a 1 pt loss on the road.

I mean poo poo THEY SHOOK GOD drat

E2M2 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 27, 2016

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

AggressivelyStupid posted:

*looks at picture of draymond forming nearly an L with his body*

NOT A FOUL :downs:

hey man draymond has been getting the rough end of the whistle what with not being ejected when he kicks other players

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They've been letting rim hangs go for years after a couple of years of enforcing it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

euphronius posted:

They've been letting rim hangs go for years after a couple of years of enforcing it.

Depending on how popular the player is, they will still call it on end of rotation players.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

i agree that a bad rim hang should be -1 pt, but jungle gymming the rim emphatically enough should be +1 pt

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

euphronius posted:

There are so many cases when a guy needs to hang for a second to have a safe landing that it's very reasonable to allow it. I think we have the forging technology in 2016 to make a rim assembly that won't bend under the force of a big man dunk and rim hang

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I propose that we should make safe, breakable rims and backboards that cause candy to spill out onto the court in celebration of powerful dunks

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Also, breaking the backboard should trigger the release of an amount of doves correlating with the intensity of the dunk

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGRAE-y851M

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Spacebump posted:

Depending on how popular the player is, they will still call it on end of rotation players.

That one was let go not (just) because of who did it, but when it happened. Any ref will think twice about giving a tech for rim hanging late in a close game on Christmas Day between the two best teams in the league. Lebron hanging too long on the rim doesn't negatively affect the Warriors at all, so they should just let it go. It's one of those calls refs should make every 5 games or so, so that players don't get too out of hand with it; it shouldn't be called late in an important game.

The Draymond call was probably one that could have been let go, but calling a foul on it isn't insane or anything. Green should learn to pick his spots for throwing a tantrum, and 2 minutes into a 4-2 game isn't the right spot for it. But, Draymond appears to be the rich man's Ron Artest, or the poor man's Dennis Rodman - they play with alot of energy and passion, it's why they're good on defense, but it occasionally goes overboard, and the team has to judge whether their overall play is worth the drama they start every so often. It almost always was for Rodman, it usually is for Draymond, and it was 50/50 for Artest.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They usually allow them to swing forward and back which lowers their momentum and fits into the rule carve out.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
bullshit calls that make the game worse to watch:
traveling
tech for rim hanging (feels like a foul imposed from the past where the local YMCA was worried that players could potentially damage their expensive new glass rims)

potentially okay bullshit calls:
taunting (should be 2 shots but not possession, definitely worth it when gently caress The Other Team is called for)

only okay in retrospect:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rim hanging is taunting at least that was the argument behind its restriction.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The B_36 posted:

The Draymond call was probably one that could have been let go, but calling a foul on it isn't insane or anything. Green should learn to pick his spots for throwing a tantrum, and 2 minutes into a 4-2 game isn't the right spot for it. But, Draymond appears to be the rich man's Ron Artest, or the poor man's Dennis Rodman - they play with alot of energy and passion, it's why they're good on defense, but it occasionally goes overboard, and the team has to judge whether their overall play is worth the drama they start every so often. It almost always was for Rodman, it usually is for Draymond, and it was 50/50 for Artest.

I would hope Warriors management is much more concerned about the absolutely garbage rear end unforced turnovers that plague Curry's game more than Draymond's intensity. It absolutely boggles my mind that he's still doing this poo poo, I would've expected some of the veterans like Igoudala to step in by this point and be like cut the poo poo.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
And I think it's a bad argument! Rim hanging is celebrating a personal accomplishment, a solution to the Man v. Nature equation (the Rim is a natural occurrence) , not man ruthlessly celebrating his dominion over other man (bad sportsmanship)

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Papercut posted:

I would hope Warriors management is much more concerned about the absolutely garbage rear end unforced turnovers that plague Curry's game more than Draymond's intensity. It absolutely boggles my mind that he's still doing this poo poo, I would've expected some of the veterans like Igoudala to step in by this point and be like cut the poo poo.

Say what you will about Bill Simmons, he correctly analyzed Steph Curry as Not An Alpha Dog :colbert:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

:siren: NBA INJURY UPDATE

Doug "The Pride of Nebraska" McDermott has injured his shin while leading the Bulls' heroic failed Christmas Comeback

Michael Carter-Williams has gloriously returned to Chicago Bulls, which, if you think about it, is sort of like they made a major trade, according to Front Office Sources

If you combined McDermott and MCW into one player, you would have a Competent Rotation Player

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

EvanTH posted:

And I think it's a bad argument! Rim hanging is celebrating a personal accomplishment, a solution to the Man v. Nature equation (the Rim is a natural occurrence) , not man ruthlessly celebrating his dominion over other man (bad sportsmanship)

I read somewhere that your genetics determine how many times you can hang on a rim before you die so it is for the best we let the rimming continue.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I recognize that rim hanging is often taunting but also think taunting should be allowed. Bring back guys doing throat slashes, big balls dances, rim hanging and talking about what each other's wives smell like.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

each NBA player should be allowed to have a mouthy 5'2" dude who sits courtside and taunts the other team for them

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Libertine posted:

I recognize that rim hanging is often taunting but also think taunting should be allowed. Bring back guys doing throat slashes, big balls dances, rim hanging and talking about what each other's wives smell like.

on one hand, taunting is extremely cool. on the other hand, doing the big balls dance with everyone knowing it costs $50k to do is even more cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Libertine posted:

I just want this to be allowed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2GaAWdHwsw

• Locked thread