Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bombogenesis posted:

It's totally a mega server and not just like three servers plugged into each other they swear.

Lol if you think it's not one hardware server running 3 server clients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

The Moon Monster posted:

Wasn't that basically what The Sims Online was? You try and decorate your house to be the most happenin' pad in town?

I think you mean RIFT.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I noticed today that Steam has an overall rating of "Mostly Positive" for the game. Surely this must be the work of unscrupulous fanboys, right? Has the game actually become fun?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Don't play this stupid loving game you cocksuckers.
Goddamn.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Langosta Whiteman posted:

I noticed today that Steam has an overall rating of "Mostly Positive" for the game. Surely this must be the work of unscrupulous fanboys, right? Has the game actually become fun?

When it went Free to Play, I believe they relaunched the game on Steam giving it a clean slate.

Edit: Also yeah, do not play this game.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Gildiss posted:

Don't play this stupid loving game you cocksuckers.
Goddamn.
There's probably a big effortpost somewhere about old MMO players always chasing that same feeling they got at age fifteen the first time they logged into UO/EQ1/WoW Classic and so end up buying ever more marginal MMOs hoping this one will be the one to capture the original magic.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Pierson posted:

There's probably a big effortpost somewhere about old MMO players always chasing that same feeling they got at age fifteen the first time they logged into UO/EQ1/WoW Classic and so end up buying ever more marginal MMOs hoping this one will be the one to capture the original magic.

Probably in a better thread. Because that don't belong in the Wildstar thread.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Pierson posted:

I actually got this in Rift tho and I was like 19 when I played that. Then Rift had an expansion and oh boy ahhahaha.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

dreffen posted:

Nothing belongs in the Wildstar thread tho, even the Wildstar thread has rejected Wildstar and now it's a thread with no purpose

I mean even the Firefall thread had the amazing behind-the-scenes Firefall corporate drama.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

dreffen posted:

Wildstar is dead, this is the talk poo poo about bad mmos thread.

Remember Everquest Landmark? It's ok, nobody else does either.
http://steamcharts.com/app/297810#All

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Dec 25, 2016

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Makes sense. It's big selling point was to tie into Everquest Next which was cancelled.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Langosta Whiteman posted:

Steam reviews default to the last 30 days now, so you probably got the aggregate of 3 reviews or something

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I'll say it: Wildstar is currently better than Rift.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Settin' the bar kinda low there.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah that... isn't really saying much.

I mean it's also better than the vast array of lovely cash shop heavy anime kMMOs too, but that's equally meaningless.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

What happened to Rift?

It was a standard questy dungeony game years ago, but it had some amazing ideas. The soul combinations, rogue and cleric tanking, and chloromancer alone made that game incredible. Also the rifts were cool iirc.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

From what I've heard, they just straight started putting raid gear in the store for real money.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
Not just going full out pay to win but almost everything in Storm Legion onwards had a ton of bugs that just didn't get fixed. It's a real shame because it was one of the few more modern MMOs that did a buffer/debuffer role really well.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Thursday Next posted:

What happened to Rift?

It was a standard questy dungeony game years ago, but it had some amazing ideas. The soul combinations, rogue and cleric tanking, and chloromancer alone made that game incredible. Also the rifts were cool iirc.

A ton, but it's gotten absolutely ridiculous lately. You used to have a stacking number of Dungeon / PVP / Instant Adventure charges. They'd stack up to seven, so if you didn't play for a few days you could log in and knock out three dungeons or IAs or whatever. Well, it turns out that they weren't getting the sub numbers they wanted, so they made stacking the charges a benefit only for subscribers.

Ocho posted a hilarious thing trying to argue that limiting non-subs to one dungeon / ia charge a day would actually make dungeons more active, not less.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
WoW had that too in the Worst Expansion (according to this forum, anyway). It was removed for...reasons.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Mr. Neutron posted:

WoW had that too in the Worst Expansion (according to this forum, anyway). It was removed for...reasons.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Pierson posted:

Nothing belongs in the Wildstar thread tho, even the Wildstar thread has rejected Wildstar and now it's a thread with no purpose

I mean even the Firefall thread had the amazing behind-the-scenes Firefall corporate drama.

That loving bus

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Comrayn posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

. You used to have a stacking number of Dungeon charges. They'd stack up to seven, so if you didn't play for a few days you could log in and knock out three dungeons

WoW called it daily random heroic dungeon bonus.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Mr. Neutron posted:

WoW called it daily random heroic dungeon bonus.

Except you can't stack up multiple charges of this daily so its completely different :confused:

e: Also daily heroic rewards have been a part of every expac since Wrath, the reward has just changed each time.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Right. That was why they said it was removed. Because you could. But now you can't.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I don't remember ever being able to pool up daily rewards in wow other than the emissary thing in the latest expansion.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

From what I've heard, they just straight started putting raid gear in the store for real money.

Yeah they did that.

Then sold overpowered souls in 'soul packs' with a bunch of bad souls nobody wanted for a premium, because you're getting good soul 1, and overpowered soul 2, with completely unviable soul 7, 8, 9 and 10 all for the bargain price of 49.99 + VAT/tax.

They also bound the earring slot to a microtransaction, then did some weird B2P/F2P electric slide and decided that the community is retarded (they weren't wrong- but not something you should actually say, because they did- on their official forums no less) and released an 'expansion pack' that had their biggest content creator/streamer delete his characters on a live stream[/url] after their community manager poorly attempted to blackmail him by threatening him with a ban if he continued to audibly trash their game and company on every public forum available. (Link)

TL;DR the people that crashed EQII who eventually got fired from Daybreak games went to work for Trion and decided to run that poo poo into the ground too.
Why settle for killing one game when you can kill two?

Xolve fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 26, 2016

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Hahaha wow, what the gently caress. Trion was fantastic when RIFT came out and I liked how they approached a few of the tired MMO systems as well as their solid update schedule.

How do you get fired from Daybreak. That's amazing.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
why do companies keep hiring people with a history of loving up everything they touch

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
video games are an incestuous business like hollywood i guess

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

DancingShade posted:

Remember Everquest Landmark? It's ok, nobody else does either.
http://steamcharts.com/app/297810#All

lmao it had one player launch it on steam three days ago and I'm willing to assume that was some goon who downloaded it out of curiosity from this thread

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Mayor McCheese posted:

Hahaha wow, what the gently caress. Trion was fantastic when RIFT came out and I liked how they approached a few of the tired MMO systems as well as their solid update schedule.

How do you get fired from Daybreak. That's amazing.

Trion was fantastic when RIFT came out, but then they released a slew of other games and consistently cannibalized the team that worked on RIFT until all they had left were 3 interns and 2 extremely jaded community shitlords that were picked up from other projects still fresh in their graves.

ArcheAge, Atlas Reactor, that other game nobody remembers, and something else have literally taken all the talent away from their primary earner and everyone that stuck around essentially got hosed in a way oddly reminiscent of that whole Star Wars galaxies debacle.

Also worth noting, their new 'expansion' was 2 overland zones, 3 dungeons (one old one tuned up) and no raids- but that didn't stop them from charging 40 bucks for it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Another one bites the dust :toot:
(I think we all saw this coming)

http://www.pixelmagegames.com/

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
We didn't sell enough copies of our game that wasn't out yet and wasn't really for sale.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Another one bites the dust :toot:
(I think we all saw this coming)

http://www.pixelmagegames.com/

Smedly cant catch no breaks

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Smedly cant catch no breaks

Obviously the only thing left to do is reunite with McQuaid and double down on yet another crowd funded coke binge CDSIII Charge retro ARPG that will relive the experience of running a failing game studio.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Xolve posted:

Trion was fantastic when RIFT came out, but then they released a slew of other games and consistently cannibalized the team that worked on RIFT until all they had left were 3 interns and 2 extremely jaded community shitlords that were picked up from other projects still fresh in their graves.

I remember when Storm Legion dropped, I had set up a six month sub but due to work issues was only able to play for about half of that. I contacted their support and was able to get an extra two months added to my subscription. Trion used to be great.

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

When they first added raid gear to the cash shop it was something like $500+ for a full set of current tier, iirc.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Bombogenesis posted:

I remember when Storm Legion dropped, I had set up a six month sub but due to work issues was only able to play for about half of that. I contacted their support and was able to get an extra two months added to my subscription. Trion used to be great.

When they first added raid gear to the cash shop it was something like $500+ for a full set of current tier, iirc.

I remember being amazed that Rift had 15 minute maintenance when WoW (at the time, I haven't played in years) took all of my tuesday morning (I had Tuesdays off)

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Atlas Reactor seems like a pretty cool game with interesting ideas in it, so it will be a shame when modern Trion inevitably wastes all of it's potential and ruins everything. Pour one out for RIFT and Defiance :(

I guess they didn't ruin Trove yet, so maybe they at least learned to not gently caress with the moneymakers. But I have little hope for smaller games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

RottenK posted:

Atlas Reactor seems like a pretty cool game with interesting ideas in it, so it will be a shame when modern Trion inevitably wastes all of it's potential and ruins everything. Pour one out for RIFT and Defiance :(

I guess they didn't ruin Trove yet, so maybe they at least learned to not gently caress with the moneymakers. But I have little hope for smaller games.

I had fun with Atlas Reactor, it's n interesting concept, Trion just ruined it by making it a moba with a paywall. You don't have access to most of the characters, or even the competitive ladder, unless you pay $30. I'd rather just play a free normal moba, then pay for something that's just a little different.

• Locked thread