Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i was wondering what language "ankeeto" was borrowed from. thanks badai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

SPEAKING OF THIRD PARTY KITS

All principal construction is finished. There's still a dozen parts or so that go on in the final assembly to fill gaps when the main gun is loaded on and put the extra boosters and radome on and poo poo, but generally the cutting, panel lining, and gluing is done. Now I have three years of decals to do and then I'll be ready for the final assembly. God help me.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Has building it helped you digest it on a visual level?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I can see some of these part layouts in my goddamn sleep. Everything makes TOO MUCH sense if anything.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Got the MG Gundam the Origin RX-78, RG 00 Qan-T, and the 1/144 Barbatos Lupus.

Merry Christmas, Goons.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

LET THE DECALENING BEGIN

:suicide:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I don't think anything in this thread will ever top this level of sheer craziness. Congrats?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So I got 1/100 Barbatos Lupus for Christmas, and am going to paint it in Gravity Suit colors. Please don't let me gently caress this up...

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

LET THE DECALENING BEGIN

:suicide:

This is the deep striker or something? I just unlocked it in SD Gundam and it is a God drat beast in the game, too.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I got the Mg ball, RG zaku, and SD Neo Zeong for xmas. I'm excited!!!

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Kingtheninja posted:

This is the deep striker or something? I just unlocked it in SD Gundam and it is a God drat beast in the game, too.

That is mechanicore's Tief Sturmer, and you gaze upon madness itself.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I got the Hambrabi and Asshimar from one Secret Santa, the Trans Am 00 Raiser RG from another. Only qualm was I was gunning for the clear Trans Am so maybe I can strike a trade somewhere.

Either way hell yeah Zeta antagonists, Merry Xmas gunploons

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ignimbrite posted:

you gaze upon madness itself.

but enough about the state of my workdesk

But I'm insanely jealous of you guys getting gunpla gifts.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I got the mg hyauku shiki 2.0, the freedom 2.0 the gelgoog 2.0 and the zeong.

I really like char okay?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Monaghan posted:

I really like char okay?
Gross!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Monaghan posted:

I got the mg hyauku shiki 2.0, the freedom 2.0 the gelgoog 2.0 and the zeong.

I really like char okay?

Me too, char-liking friend

Maybe not enough to buy the Zeong.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Congratulations, ACES! Why, it seems only yesterday you

ACES CURE PLANES, back in January posted:

This is gonna take a year, isn't it?

Oh my.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Apparently my relatives have all finally figured out what my hobbies are, as this year I received the following HG kits from in-laws and extended family.

Buster Gundam
Turn A
Grimgerde
Transient Gundam
Denial Gundam
G-Lucifer
And the Zaku Amazing booster unit.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I got money for christmas. Which I'm not going to use to buy kits but rather, masking solvent and a replacement needle for my talon airbrush.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ka0 posted:

I got money for christmas. Which I'm not going to use to buy kits but rather, masking solvent and a replacement needle for my talon airbrush.

Hey, I'm gonna buy inhalants and needles too!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Me too, char-liking friend

Maybe not enough to buy the Zeong.

I've committed to getting an mg of every char suit man.

But man pulling the trigger on the zeong was tough.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I'm probably going to start looking into airbrushes pretty soon, what type of paints should I be using? I've seen conflicting opinions between acrylic and lacquer paints.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

That Gobbo posted:

I'm probably going to start looking into airbrushes pretty soon, what type of paints should I be using? I've seen conflicting opinions between acrylic and lacquer paints.

lacquers are good if you want to swoosh your space samurai robots around because they're a lot more durable, but Acrylics don't require special ventilation or nasty solvents (though you still need at least a particulate mask for protection). In general I prefer acrylics because they're way easier to work with (most clean up with water or isopropyl alcohol) and they aren't very hot.

Don't use enamels or oil paint (for washes) on bare Bandai plastic, because whatever formulation of polystyrene Bandai uses cracks like a motherfucker when exposed to mineral spirits.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Don't use enamels or oil paint (for washes) on bare Bandai plastic, because whatever formulation of polystyrene Bandai uses cracks like a motherfucker when exposed to mineral spirits.

Nominate add to OP of the next thread.
vvvvv this too

Midjack fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 26, 2016

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Also if you go tamiya "acrylics" bear in mind they're not true water-based acrylics and you'll still need to wear a mask or have appropriate ventilation. Also tamiya dries in a day but cures in a decade in case you don't want to ruin your smooth airbrushed finishes.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

Congratulations, ACES! Why, it seems only yesterday you

Oh my.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nSKkwzwdW4

Gotta say, Sam's custom camo decals are pretty good. The only problem is that the plastic is actually TOO thick, so carefully trimming down pieces with an xacto is pretty drat hard, and because of the thickness, you need an incredible amount of solvaset to actually get stuff to set firmly on the plastic. That said, I was worried how the black would look with the red but I'm pretty happy with it so far, it compliments it well. Still wish I had gotten this version instead, had I known it existed when I preordered

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

You need a project for next year, right? :v:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I really want to get the 1/100 Psycho Zaku, but unless I want to wait months for it to get to me freight is like 2/3rds the actual cost.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I got the MG Heavyarms Kai for christmas. I also got a pepper grinder.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I got a rock with an X on it.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I plan on buying myself the Macross Factory with my holiday pay. And then probably never assemble it but merely hug the box I have wanted since 1984-5.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Ka0 posted:

Also if you go tamiya "acrylics" bear in mind they're not true water-based acrylics and you'll still need to wear a mask or have appropriate ventilation. Also tamiya dries in a day but cures in a decade in case you don't want to ruin your smooth airbrushed finishes.

Vallejo Model and Game Air mothafuckas. Ive never understood the scale modeling/gunpla community's obsession with using all these harsh chemicals and long curing paints. Its not a car or the exterior of a house, its a plastic model that will be sitting on a shelf. Basically if its not water-cleanable I am not interested.

e: rattlecan varnish and primer being the exceptions

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 26, 2016

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
By the time 2016 was half over I'd already bought as much Gunpla as the previous five years put together, so I got myself a loving blender for Xmas.

Already got my eye on a bunch of stuff for the new year, though. I'm pretty sure this bullshit will only end when I do.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 26, 2016

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

PaintVagrant posted:

Vallejo Model

After a couple of years, vallejo tends to polymerize at random, which is the whole inside of the bottle turns into a solid vinyl-like goo for no reason, you can't dilute or fix it either since you need the solvent-binder mix (they sell this of course). I agree that vallejo AIR is an improvement, but if you're going that route you have many other alternatives too: AK, Mig, reaper, etc.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Just splurged and bought myself more models.

HG Barbatos Lupus, HG Kimaris, HG Astaroth. Brown & White bear guys, SD Barbatos, RG Quant, and 1/100 Grimgerde.

That was the most well stocked I've ever seen my local B&N.

Keyword there is 'was'.

(Actually, most of that had at least 1 more in stock, and there were a few things I didn't pick up at all, like MG Freedom)

edit: current backlog:

EVGA Longoria fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 26, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
It's gonna be a Petit Beargguy party up in this thread :toot: I just put in an order for the new Stray Cat too. :allears:

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Caitlin posted:

It's gonna be a Petit Beargguy party up in this thread :toot: I just put in an order for the new Stray Cat too. :allears:

It ain't a Petit, but

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I have no Bearguy because I haven't seen them in stores physically. I do keep thinking about buying the HG Nobell I see at one shop and making it Sailor Jupiter Bot since I still have my US MSIA toy of it so I could mod it up and it be okiedokie to do.

Course I won a RG Strike back when that SD Gundam capsule fighter game was a thing and I haven't built it or done the Khorne Berserker mod to it and that's been how long now?

I've even had a mini pla Yamato 2199 kit mocking me for a few years now. And a King Kittan I haven't been arsed to finish in spite of being a super quick build.

I even have a few Kobo SRW kits mocking me. To the point my poor Huckebein kit's manual got wet when the hot water heater ate it and thus I can't even build it until I manage to find a manual scan if one even exists. So much model kit backlog shame.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Captain Rufus posted:

I even have a few Kobo SRW kits mocking me. To the point my poor Huckebein kit's manual got wet when the hot water heater ate it and thus I can't even build it until I manage to find a manual scan if one even exists. So much model kit backlog shame.

Will this do?

If so, happy Saint Stephen's Day. If not, there's a few other kits in the same line on Dalong, so you still have a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Serenade posted:

It ain't a Petit, but

I'm so proud of you all :sax: I brought Beargguy P over to my dad's house yesterday since they enjoyed the completed model kits I showed them on Thanksgiving, and while he was not mistaken for a Transformer, everyone decided he was still pretty cool.