Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Looks cool but based on the reviews they've decided to make the game based around grinding. No thanks, I've already got a day job.

I'm kind of torn with TLD at the moment. I have an older game on Voyager, but I really don't feel like playing it anymore since loot tables don't update in older games. Voyager was a bit too easy, too. Now I've played Stalker, and it's about as easy as Voyager the only difference being the ridiculous amount of wolves EVERYWHERE. Once you get a gun, a fair amount of bullets and eventually the bow, the game becomes very easy due to the high amount of wolves meaning meat and gut.

Then again, Interloper is too hard and I really dislike the need to beeline to a forge to get a knife and a hatchet.

I'm thinking I'll start a game on Interloper and edit the savegame to give my character some basic survival tools you'd expect a bush pilot to carry with him. A knife, 1 litre of water, dried meat and some candy bars and some decent winter clothing. That way I could skip the forge until after I've established myself and worn out my knife, which makes the early game a bit less of a chore and meta.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The second planet is already available in O:ND i think.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Spent a few hours yesterday and today playing the new map in TLD. It is a definitely a difficult map. It's not even easy to get by on explorer difficulty. I've been reduced to eating cat tail stalks and hoping I don't have to eat the cans of dog food I found.

It also seems like the map is "colder" than others I've played on. I seem to be having a lot more problems with hypothermia than before. I don't know if that's just the new clothing system kicking my rear end though.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

wilderthanmild posted:

Spent a few hours yesterday and today playing the new map in TLD. It is a definitely a difficult map. It's not even easy to get by on explorer difficulty. I've been reduced to eating cat tail stalks and hoping I don't have to eat the cans of dog food I found.

It also seems like the map is "colder" than others I've played on. I seem to be having a lot more problems with hypothermia than before. I don't know if that's just the new clothing system kicking my rear end though.

I don't think it ever went above 1 degree when I was there. Took me 2-3 days to walk through to find the route to Mystery Lake.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

wilderthanmild posted:

It probably is - a lot of clothes got their warmth/windchill values adjusted to balance the fact that you can layer now. And how you layer matters - only the outer layer counts for windchill, iirc.

Definitely noticed the difference on my PV character's usual outfit.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Yea a big part of it is clothes. The wetness/freezing mechanic in clothes are what we're really hurting me. I am starting to make my way to Mystery Lake, I had to stop for the day because I was getting cold really fast again. I noticed that the reason I was getting so cold was a lot of my clothes had frozen and I had to thaw and then dry them. In my other play throughs I had fallen through the ice, which is what probably ruined me there.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dyna Soar posted:

Looks cool but based on the reviews they've decided to make the game based around grinding. No thanks, I've already got a day job.

I'm kind of torn with TLD at the moment. I have an older game on Voyager :words:

I firmly believe that, apart from the temperature, Stalker isn't strictly a harder difficulty but simply more tedious. Far and away my least favorite thing about this game is how the wolves interact with your character. The fact that wolves will charge you 100% of the time they're aware of your presence when you aim/knock an arrow is beyond stupid. Adding more of them to the game I find dumb and unfun. I say this as someone with 400 days on a Voyager save from shortly after release and 100 days on an Interloper save. I still loving love this game.

Has anyone found clothing accessories in the newest TLD update? I found some ear muffs at the High Blind in the middle of the Muskeg. Probably the only useful thing in the entire zone other than a metric fuckton of cattails and some boxes of rifle shells. I am actually really glad the saves "broke" ML for me. It allowed me to find a lot of the new clothing I wouldn't have otherwise seen and I hadn't looted hardly any of ML anyhow so it didn't really matter.

e: I also explored 100% of locations in my Voyager save. Feels pretty good to get it even though I wasn't explicitly trying to.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 24, 2016

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Has anyone had issues reconnecting to a co-op game in The Forest after their first session? Buddy and I got, well, soundly hosed by some crazy poo poo and tried to reload the last save but I just couldn't connect. We'll try some more stuff tomorrow but if this is something with a current jury-rig solution I would just like to find out.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Really enjoying The Long Dark, but what can I do when wolves are about other than hide in a house and hope they go away? They've been around for a few days now and while I've got plenty of stuff to keep me alive, I'm getting pretty bored and have no gun.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
you can scare them with a flare if they run directly over it, but wolves are essentially the big reason to get a bow going asap because holy nutsack are they obnoxious as all gently caress

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Depending on how far they are from the house, you could try sneaking out without them noticing. If there are cars around, pop into them along the way - wolves can't get you in there, and it gives you a chance to look around and see where they're at.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

you can also craft a torch if you have some lantern oil, reclaimed wood, and cloth (the latter two should be available in the house as furniture/curtains) which operates similarly to a flare which keeps them at bay when lit. If they still charge you swing the flare/torch when they're close

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
if you have a lot of first aid and a knife but no flares or material for a torch, you could just go a wrestle them. just remember to take out your best clothes so they wont get torn.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

You can also take a brand from any campfires you create to use a torch, and wolves will instinctively stay away from campfires.

Note that you want to brandish(right click) BEFORE the animal charges you.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I haven't played in a while and have been playing a lot this week, for some reason I'm having a dismal success rate with brandished flares/torches

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Thanks, wish they worked similarly to the dudes in The Forest, where you can co-exist with them but also piss them off and any fights you get into with them are your own drat fault.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I really hope they don't add any supernatural elements to TLD. The magnetic storm sounds kinda plausible, but if it's gonna distract from the man vs. nature vibe the game has now I'll be disappointed.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The magnetic storm has pretty much been the intention the whole time, it seems pretty minimal, but it also mostly seems like it's for story mode. They were actually originally intending to take out the sandbox mode once they finally got story mode going, but have since decided against that.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

The magnetic storm has pretty much been the intention the whole time, it seems pretty minimal, but it also mostly seems like it's for story mode. They were actually originally intending to take out the sandbox mode once they finally got story mode going, but have since decided against that.

Yeah, I just mean that I enjoy the game as is so much that I hope they won't add a "supernatural" gameplay element like the anomalies in Stalker.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

You won't have to worry about anything like that. It's almost a selling point that the game keeps itself pretty down to earth. The magnetic storm thing is mostly to establish backstory stuff (like why you're there, no electronics work and the wolves are crazy) and in the future will allow you to turn on radios at certain times and stuff like that.

Long Dark steam page posted:

There are no zombies -- only you, the cold, and all the threats Mother Nature can muster.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I wish TLD had an auto-walk button. Sometimes traipsing through the cold darkness gets a little boring, I'd like to at least be able to set myself in a direction.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I wish TLD had an auto-walk button. Sometimes traipsing through the cold darkness gets a little boring, I'd like to at least be able to set myself in a direction.

If Hinterland doesn't add it, I'm willing to bet it will be among the first things modded in.

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I use JoyToKey to make a joystick button hold down the W key for me. It's sort of like an auto-walk.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
apart from shooting, i bet this game works gream with a gamepad. i think i have a spare ps3 pad somewhere. could use j2k to bind turbo click for wolf wrestling somewhere.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

They fixed the small delay after eating something! :woop:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Coolguye posted:

you can scare them with a flare if they run directly over it, but wolves are essentially the big reason to get a bow going asap because holy nutsack are they obnoxious as all gently caress

I am almost positive that flares/torches dropped on the ground are now totally ignored by wildlife. Typically not a big deal but a lot of people hunted bears using torches they couldn't walk over for an easy kill. Still works with fire but not torches/flares. The flaregun is the only thing other than a fire that works.

Dyna Soar posted:

I really hope they don't add any supernatural elements to TLD. The magnetic storm sounds kinda plausible, but if it's gonna distract from the man vs. nature vibe the game has now I'll be disappointed.

Same. It sounds like most/all of that stuff is going to be entirely relegated to story mode.

Though I do hope they add in "Rogue Survivors" in the sandbox. The thought of having to secure your goods from being stolen by another person really intrigues me. And I can't even imagine how terrifying it would be to see two people in the distance knowing they will try anything to hunt you down and murder you just so they can have your things. I suspect they're adding in the revolver later on down the road for this very reason. I hope.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 30, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ah fair enough, i can't say it's a huge loss if they got rid of that, since it was already so drat picky to begin with.

regarding the sandbox as a whole, i'm not sure how much more they can really add to it without it feeling insanely samey. it's already at that point for me; i've survived many months on enough spawns by this point that i just don't see the point in going in and screwing around with their new thing that much anymore. even the new supposedly super-hard map really just meant to me 'avoid that poo poo until you've managed to find or craft some good stuff' and i had almost zero trouble with it after the ~month of prep time it takes to be functionally immortal in the game. i feel like they really need to just get over themselves and start working on the story mode or some sort of compelling objective mode to shake the game up. the scenarios were super cool when they came out, but at this point they are also mostly known quantities.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
"I've played everything there is to play in this game and now it's not interesting anymore!"
:qqsay:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
how long has it taken for you to get to the point where you know the whole game by heart? a couple hundred hours?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Coolguye posted:

they really need to just get over themselves and start working on the story mode or some sort of compelling objective mode to shake the game up.

:ssh: They allocated most of their resources and development time toward story mode this year, that's why there weren't that many updates.

"Hinterland posted:

2016 has been a challenging year for me, and for Hinterland. We opened the year with the plan of launching Story Mode this past Spring, but I just didn’t feel good about where things were at, given the compromises I felt we were making to do that. I wanted to push further, do more, with the game, knowing that after all this time of you waiting for Story Mode, it would have to be something truly groundbreaking to really live up to your expectations. And to live up to our expectation

[...]

With the pressures of wanting to make significant progress on Story Mode without abandoning our players who mostly care about Sandbox, I grew the team to about 25 developers this year, with — at various points — most of them working on Story Mode content and systems, and either small “maintenance” teams working on Sandbox updates, or — depending on the complexity of the update — occasionally pulling a large portion of the team into helping finalize or test Sandbox mechanics (as we just did for our latest update).

[...]

We have about 6 hours of playable Story Mode gameplay, currently split into two episodes, and these are the episodes we will launch with.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
I feel confident that the first two titles in the OP - The Long Dark and Don't Starve - are the only ones worth playing.

The Long Dark is pretty drat good until it gets boring. Extremely high $/entertainment value, especially if you get addicted to interloper mode.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

The Forest, NEO Scavenger, and Unreal World are all fantastic, deep, and highly repayable games. Fight me

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
NEO Scavenger is amazing. That game has eaten days. You are a bad and wrong.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I bought NEO Scavenger on sale years ago, I had fun with it. Has it been updated at all?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I bought NEO Scavenger on sale years ago, I had fun with it. Has it been updated at all?

I've never heard of this game, but it's on sale for five bux and looks extremely my poo poo so I bought it.

I should run through URW again as well, any updates in the last, say, two years?

Why is this such an underserved genre? I can think of like, five games that are good but they're all some of my favourites.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

packetmantis posted:

"I've played everything there is to play in this game and now it's not interesting anymore!"
:qqsay:

Dyna Soar posted:

how long has it taken for you to get to the point where you know the whole game by heart? a couple hundred hours?

calm down goons, there is no need to get defensive or snotty about this. i did not say TLD is a bad game. i have enjoyed it immensely. my point was that going out there and surviving isn't enough in and of itself anymore, which is actually a huge problem with survival games as a whole. it needs a directed challenge, preferably one with time limits or something else instituting urgency, to really make it interesting again.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I can't believe I bought Take on Mars three years ago and I'm still waiting for it to become a cool game. Rovers and landers work well enough to be sort of a game but while I REALLY want to like manned it does everything in its power to prevent you from having actual fun. Why does everything have to be physics enabled? Why does constructing anything have to be like building lego blocks while on muscle relaxants? Why is the entire game juggling resource containers?
If you can get over the numerous bugs and crashes there's some cool elements in the game but I don't think it ever got a single feature that could be considered a quality of life improvement. Once they added power cables people suggested adding in resource transfer pipes but apparently it would make the game too easy (because, once again, it's apparently all about juggling janky physics resource barrels). I just want a cool scifi survival game that's not about combat but exploration and (gamey) science and this stupid thing comes close and yet so far :(

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Coolguye posted:

calm down goons, there is no need to get defensive or snotty about this. i did not say TLD is a bad game. i have enjoyed it immensely. my point was that going out there and surviving isn't enough in and of itself anymore, which is actually a huge problem with survival games as a whole. it needs a directed challenge, preferably one with time limits or something else instituting urgency, to really make it interesting again.

Oddly enough this is what I love about TLD. The game is 100% about getting back what you put in. I'm a weirdo nerd who enjoys playing extremely methodically and exploring and re-exploring areas as updates are released.

In between I definitely get bored and lose interest. But I enjoy making sure I've scavenged anything useful from every area in the game. I'm probably going to venture back into Timberwolf Mountain and hit the summit again just in case the update spawned any more equipment or changed any of the stuff I stashed along the way. If you don't enjoy setting goals for yourself, grinding out skills, venturing out to hunt/gather items everyday you'll definitely hit a wall with TLD. And probably fairly early. If you do enjoy any of that stuff you're probably a lot like me and enjoy chilling out and spending a half an hour here and there doing nothing but looking for an easy deer to chase into a wolf (the most :spergin: way to hunt) and collecting wood.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
I'm getting back into the Long Dark after about a ten month break. I don't remember it being this hard to kill deer with a rifle. Also, why can't we pick up rabbits and bring them indoors to dress? Why? Whaaaa