Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GimmickMan posted:

Previews begin January 2.

Until then we have Ornithopter to keep ourselves warm in this cold leakless world.

Don't they usually start 3 weeks before prerelease?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Isn't it three weeks for big sets and two for small ones?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Eldritch Moon had like a month because they were doing that stupid 'previewing a video that previews the set' thing for at least 3 weeks. Before that, OGW started previewing before the end of the year so it was closer to 3 weeks of previews than 2.

I don't think there's a hard and fast rule anymore.

mcmagic posted:

Don't they usually start 3 weeks before prerelease?

Website says no new content until January and preview season usually kicks off with a Rosewater article so :shrug:

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Doesn't wizards usually take a holiday break at the end of the year as well?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Some Numbers posted:

It's 2 for everything, but they said gently caress it and are doing everything in 1 week.

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000

Angry Grimace posted:

It's 2 for everything, but they said gently caress it and are doing everything in 1 week.

Getting cocky as standard attendance continues to collapse.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

boba fetacheese posted:

Getting cocky as standard attendance continues to collapse.

It's more that they weren't willing to work on the company week off, which...makes sense.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

It's more that they weren't willing to work on the company week off, which...makes sense.

But...they're not? They write an article and it gets autopushed. It's not like they have to hit a 11 AM deadline each day.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Captain Capitalism posted:

But...they're not? They write an article and it gets autopushed. It's not like they have to hit a 11 AM deadline each day.

Well you have to write the article a week faster than you would otherwise, and its probably all tied up in however they get assigned cards by marketing.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Excellent page number.

What MTG stuff did you get for Christmas? I got two euro plains (1 Scotland and 1 Holland) along with a bunch of those holographic cardamajig tokens.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I got a pack of EMA and two of KLD in my stocking (I bought them and handed them to my wife to put in there. :P).

Didn't open anything of note. :(

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I bought myself a Japanese Sanctum Prelate, 2 Korean + 1 Judge Foil Mishra's Factories, 3 Russian DIS Hallowed Fountains, a Japanese Karakas and am buying a Japanese foil Imperial Recruiter if it's still there in Thursday.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I was also thinking of buying myself a cheapish modern (or other constructed) deck on MTGO. Shaun McLaren was playing a cool looking monoG list on stream not too long ago.

I guess I could check out MTG Goldfish?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Molybdenum posted:

Excellent page number.

What MTG stuff did you get for Christmas? I got two euro plains (1 Scotland and 1 Holland) along with a bunch of those holographic cardamajig tokens.

Wife got me the pirate labs backpack that looks functional but isn't anything more than an expensive, ugly backpack. Going to keep it because she put a lot of effort into looking for a gift for a hobby that is hard for an outsider to understand.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Molybdenum posted:

I dug into the foreign cards box at my FLGS went through two rows and found some goodies, some random BFZ OGW standard playable Russian cards (tears of valakut, natural state, negate), three Russian copies of Reality Acid, Japanese/Korean/Chinese (can't remember specifically what was what) copies of hooting mandrills, negate, other random cards, Russian seal of primordium, and a Japanese Conflagrate

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

Wife got me the pirate labs backpack that looks functional but isn't anything more than an expensive, ugly backpack. Going to keep it because she put a lot of effort into looking for a gift for a hobby that is hard for an outsider to understand.

I have a single strap type pack that my wife got me to put magic stuff in whenever I go to the shop or tournaments. It's terrible for long days because it's uneven and pulls on my neck but I use it anyway for the same reason you stated :)

My magic group secret santa got me a playset of foil Loxodon Smiters (one of my favorite currently unusable modern cards) and 3 different foils for my Gaddock Teeg edh deck. I also spent a bunch on myself throughout all the holiday sales buying unnecessary foils and poo poo.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I have a single strap type pack that my wife got me to put magic stuff in whenever I go to the shop or tournaments. It's terrible for long days because it's uneven and pulls on my neck but I use it anyway for the same reason you stated :)

My manpurse is a Bailey works bag.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Isn't 2017 when Bertoncini is unbanned. Does he survive the year scandal free?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Isn't 2017 when Bertoncini is unbanned. Does he survive the year scandal free?

Hell no. At least when it happens again it will probably be permanent and will be entertaining.

Trevor Humphries in 2018. I can't wait to see him on camera again. Jared Boettcher too.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 26, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

Hell no. At least when it happens again it will probably be permanent and will be entertaining.

Can we start with an over-under of 18 months suspension because WOTC likes to go light on its cheating punishments or is that too easy? Haven't looked at the IPG in a while~

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Dehtraen posted:

I dug into the foreign cards box at my FLGS went through two rows and found some goodies, some random BFZ OGW standard playable Russian cards (tears of valakut, natural state, negate), three Russian copies of Reality Acid, Japanese/Korean/Chinese (can't remember specifically what was what) copies of hooting mandrills, negate, other random cards, Russian seal of primordium, and a Japanese Conflagrate

Japanese has other symbols above the "letters." Korean has a lot of circles. Chinese is very blocky and has a circle in the middle of the line in place of a period. I don't know the difference between T and S Chinese though.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

suicidesteve posted:

Japanese has other symbols above the "letters." Korean has a lot of circles. Chinese is very blocky and has a circle in the middle of the line in place of a period. I don't know the difference between T and S Chinese though.
T Chinese characters are a lot more complex.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Actually, it has letters above the symbols.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

standard.deviant posted:

T Chinese characters are a lot more complex.

Yeah but I mean unless you show me two cards next to each other I couldn't tell you which version your Chinese card is. So obviously I can't tell you how to tell them apart.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Molybdenum posted:

Excellent page number.

I got nothing MTG related as a gift but I did order the cards for my first ever paper modern deck (I have a few ultra budget mtgo modern decks). I built elves, I really enjoyed seeing it played and it looks like a blast. I picked up almost all of the more expensive cards for it on sale from SCG and my LGS here. I'm ready to get my poo poo pushed in playing another format, I finally got bored only playing standard.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Sickening posted:

Trevor Humphries in 2018. I can't wait to see him on camera again. Jared Boettcher too.

At least my personal life, and my womans, will remain safe.

EDIT: Yup, it's still funny.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Molybdenum posted:

Excellent page number.

I got a Planechase Anthology and a set of Commander 2016 decks.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Molybdenum posted:

What MTG stuff did you get for Christmas?
A plane ticket to a place where they only play Standard.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Bought myself the last ROE Emrakul and Leyline of the Void with my FNM winnings a couple weeks back (LGS was doing 25% off singles), currently in Thailand and hoping to pick up a good bag for carrying a couple deck boxes, a note pad, and a mat at one of the markets here. I also might finally crack and buy Goyfs when I get back, depending on how much money I spend here lol

odiv posted:

I was also thinking of buying myself a cheapish modern (or other constructed) deck on MTGO. Shaun McLaren was playing a cool looking monoG list on stream not too long ago.

I guess I could check out MTG Goldfish?

The budget Modern decks on MTGGoldfish are pretty sweet, can't go wrong trying out one of those if you're just farting around at FNM.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

I want to understand what this is please make it make sense it sounds amazing.

Dojo keyboard cagefighters? Tell me more.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
I bought myself a foil Queen Marchesa for christmas because hell why not?

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

DarkDobe posted:

I have a white belt in KEYBOARD karate

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

DarkDobe posted:

A couple years ago Trevor Humphries got caught cheating on camera and ate a four-year ban. He decided the best way to respond was to lash out at everyone who pointed it out online.

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

The best part of all this is that the post is in this state after being edited.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Hellsau posted:

Wait why would leagues have a maximum capacity?

I know wotc can't do anything right but it turns out that you do not have infinite server capacity and memory and it makes sense to allocate things rather than just letting poo poo run wild because there are all sorts of issues that can stem from not having these allocations, so they did that thing.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sigma-X posted:

I know wotc can't do anything right but it turns out that you do not have infinite server capacity and memory and it makes sense to allocate things rather than just letting poo poo run wild because there are all sorts of issues that can stem from not having these allocations, so they did that thing.

I understand that they want to limit the number of concurrent matches from spiking too high. Limiting the capacity of the league does not solve that. If a league is full and someone wants to play, they'll just go into the single queues, which will start a draft and another set of matches.

Unless the hope is that if the leagues are full people just won't play MTGO, which if true would explain a lot about MTGO and its devs.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

suicidesteve posted:

I can tell the difference in languages outside of the different versions of Chinese, I just can't remember what I snagged off the top of my head in the movie theater line for Rogue One outside of the ones i specifically mentioned. I was really pumped about the Conflagrate (especially since the English copies are in the glass display priced individually instead of in bulk), Hooting Mandrills playset, and the almost playset of Reality Acid. I need to go back when I have more time and pick through the rest. I really want to find some more SoI checklist cards preferably in Russian. There seemed to be a ton of planar chaos, oddly enough... I passed through a bunch of Rathi Trappers.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Molybdenum posted:

Excellent page number.

I got a fat pack of Kaladesh and pulled torrential gearhulk and a masterpiece sol ring so my edh is pretty happy. Also dropped $60 on the stuff to fill out 6 pauper decks so my casual nights can have some variety.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Alris posted:

I bought myself a foil Queen Marchesa for christmas because hell why not?

I'm gonna buy myself an Invention Cloudstone for my Animar EDH deck soon.

If I could get a foil Animar, I'd rather that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Bought one of CFB's Stocking Stuffer bundles, got a Dragon's Maze pack (they didnt say what it was gonna be so...should have expected that I guess, opened a Lavinia for my eventual Brago EDH Deck and a Turn/Burn, which is just a decent card in a world of cluestones and bad spells), the born of the gods R/W Heroic intro deck (it seems Fine I Guess), a Khans spindown and a pack of Ultrapro sleeves that have the Oath of Chandra art on them.

Not bad for 3 bucks, even if its all cards from bleh sets, something to go in the stocking.

Better gift is mom giving me 100bux for GP San Jose at the end of January.

• Locked thread