Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

My only problem with The Wire is that it keeps trying to paint McNulty as an antihero who tries to do good, instead of a complete piece of poo poo that no one should ever give a 2nd chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

EwokEntourage posted:

It's almost much lighter on the tits than most other HBO shows

I think the wire does a good job of showing how a lot of the problems are beyond the control of most people, and both cops and criminals are some what product did their environment. The season about the schools seems some what out of place at first but it shows how a lot of people are failed from the beginning. The problem with this is that the show often stops short of actually stating why this environment these people are forced into this environment.
This is my take as a white guy tho.

It also does a good job of showing how the white "crusaders," like the stand in for Martin omalley, are more concerned with advancing their own power and their own goals than actually addressing or fixing any of the problems.

As another honky this is basically my view in the show. I can see why people may be concerned about the number of people talking about how its the "realest" show, but I'd somewhat optimistically say that it's more well-intentioned dorks trying to suggest a police show that doesnt demonize black criminals, shows how police and officials can suck, and why unions had shady ties (last one more relevant locally in NYC), rather than some power trip against poors.

At its best it's like reverse Blue Bloods.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

But then David Simon goes out and does poo poo like this and makes me feel like he isn't creating anything I want to watch.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Fluffdaddy posted:

But then David Simon goes out and does poo poo like this and makes me feel like he isn't creating anything I want to watch.

Tbf when someone uses that alongside "should have had Ta Nehisi Coates" makes it sound more to me like awkward old hip grandpa than racially tonedeaf

That's just my lily-white view though, I'm not going to say how you should feel.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

Tbf when someone uses that alongside "should have had Ta Nehisi Coates" makes it sound more to me like awkward old hip grandpa than racially tonedeaf

That's just my lily-white view though, I'm not going to say how you should feel.

Its not just that he said it, its that he double down on it over and over again. This is what is most frustrating about supposed allies. They are quick to point out the transgressions of others but when called out on their own they fall back on the defense as if their white privilege is somehow different than the ones they are railing against.

It is an annoying rear end trait shared by way too many white liberals.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Happy holidays Negrotown! I bring season's greetings in the form of a short from David Walker; Black Santa's Revenge.

https://vimeo.com/42600142

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Its not just that he said it, its that he double down on it over and over again. This is what is most frustrating about supposed allies. They are quick to point out the transgressions of others but when called out on their own they fall back on the defense as if their white privilege is somehow different than the ones they are railing against.

It is an annoying rear end trait shared by way too many white liberals.

I think DavĂ­d Simon is under the idea he spent so much time among black people and African American people he can get away with it. Obviously he can't and he should have stopped.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
What do people here think of The Boondocks?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Gaunab posted:

It is up there with the Chappelle show as a piece of classic black tv comedy of this generation.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I totally missed the joke of the Tyler Perry episode until this thread cause, well, I've never seen a Tyler Perry movie or knew much about him and I keep wondering how many less obvious black cultural references and jokes I missed.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Boondocks was ok. It had the tendency to go overboard with Uncle Ruckus but good show, except for the last season.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Gaunab posted:

Great show, Bob Ross tribute episode is a classic IMO

It's amazing how many white nerds didn't "get" it and called the show racist.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

good show, except for the last season.

I had no idea there was a 2014 season until just now. I understand McGruder wasn't involved in it, but in what way was it bad?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

blackguy32 posted:

Boondocks was ok. It had the tendency to go overboard with Uncle Ruckus but good show, except for the last season.

*a wild Ben Carson appears*

They honestly didn't go far enough with Uncle Ruckus in retrospect.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I use the "Huey punching white dude invoking MLK" gif at least once a day lately, so it's a wonderful show just for that.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I don't remember liking the Tyler Perry episode much. He seemed to drop the ball on Perry's penchant for debasing women so they can be redeemed through the love of a godly man, in favor of a cheap gay joke.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

tallboarLittlehand posted:

I'm more of a lurker but I felt I should fully introduce myself now that I've completely read through both this and the Misogynoir threads. I won't post much because I'm not nearly as educated on a lot of topics as other posters in these threads but I do enjoy reading them and learning in general.

I'm currently stationed in Korea as part of the Air Force and I've come to realize how important a positive image of Black Americans is when American media influences opinions of us abroad so strongly.

I was also really big into video games and anime when I was younger and even than I was acutely aware of the lack of POC in these types of media. This plus my increasing realization of the Eurocentrism and overall white focus of mainstream history has led to a continued search for a way to use my interests and talents, to create a series that will inspire young kids that black (African) history is just as important and cool as European history i.e. Ethiopia, Oyo, Ndongo, etc.

I think what really made this all click in my mind is this map:

This is from a game called Europa Universalis that simulates the beginning of European dominance and imperialism. It takes a Eurocentric point of view that if Europe couldn't colonize it than its history obviously isn't important and thus it labels vast swathes of Africa wasteland (The darker black areas are wasteland). I'm working on a mod to rectify this but this shows the poisonous mindset in regard to African history that exists not just in America but internationally.

That's why I’m looking into becoming a cultural anthropologist to get out there and document a lot of this African history that is just getting ignored. Maybe in my free time I’ll finally create that story, comic, or video game that gets young black kids interested and proud in their own black history.

If anyone has any resources for seeking an anthropology degree or learning programming that would be greatly appreciated. I realize this is kind of long but I've had a lot to think about over the past few years.

While some of that has to do with the original EU game being Euro-centric (as in the board game), I'd say that the unmarked areas are less about them not being important and more about there just not being a ton of well-documented history there. The EU games have gotten better regarding that in later iterations and patches, either implementing what I believe are newly discovered/determined histories, doing more research or simply going with the slightly hazy info that is there and extrapolating a nation idea from there. Of course, that's not going to be great either because there weren't really proper mapped borders (especially in those northern areas above Russia) in a lot of cases that would fit modern borders but there are ways to alleviate that. Most of the time Paradox devs only exclude things when they have to because of scope (or because of DLC ideas but that's a whole different story).

Also, isn't there already a couple of mods that do that very thing? Or at least something similar to that? I mean, it might've gotten lost in the myriad ofweird mods these kinds of games spawn.

Edit: vvv I wouldn't know about the prostitute episode, but all I got from the MLK one was the general frustration every activist ever got when you want to change things for the better and people just bicker over trivial crap. I presume it was the writer of that particular episode venting about how people don't get their poo poo together like in the 60s-70s etc. Which of course discounts the actual hard work activists are doing and the achievements they've managed in modern times, but it is easy to be nostalgic for an era you didn't actually live in I guess (if it was Aaron writing that is, since he was born in 74).

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 26, 2016

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think that the Boondocks has made some major missteps in the past. The episode about granddad trying to save a prostitute was uncomfortable and when they resurrected MLK to basically go on a dogwhistle-racism rant it seemed to be missing the mark in a major way.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

evilmiera posted:

While some of that has to do with the original EU game being Euro-centric (as in the board game), I'd say that the unmarked areas are less about them not being important and more about there just not being a ton of well-documented history there. The EU games have gotten better regarding that in later iterations and patches, either implementing what I believe are newly discovered/determined histories, doing more research or simply going with the slightly hazy info that is there and extrapolating a nation idea from there. Of course, that's not going to be great either because there weren't really proper mapped borders (especially in those northern areas above Russia) in a lot of cases that would fit modern borders but there are ways to alleviate that. Most of the time Paradox devs only exclude things when they have to because of scope (or because of DLC ideas but that's a whole different story).

Also, isn't there already a couple of mods that do that very thing? Or at least something similar to that? I mean, it might've gotten lost in the myriad ofweird mods these kinds of games spawn.

fwiw they make a lot of progress every patch on fleshing out the African continent. This is how the starting map looks now.

There's always more work to be done but they've fleshed out African religions a little, added a whole bunch of Coptic mechanics for Ethiopia and neighbors and removed the whole Westernization thing so that non-European countries don't start with massive technology penalties anymore. Heck, with a little knowhow and luck you can make it so that Europe has to come to you to learn the secrets of Colonialism or Global Trade to remove their own tech penalty.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
There been any chat regarding The Sellout? A satire of the black experience in America by a black author seems relevant to this thread. Anyone read it?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

there wolf posted:

I don't remember liking the Tyler Perry episode much. He seemed to drop the ball on Perry's penchant for debasing women so they can be redeemed through the love of a godly man, in favor of a cheap gay joke.

McGruder doesn't like women either :ssh:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

McGruder doesn't like women either :ssh:

I can see that. That episode with the sex worker...

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

there wolf posted:

I can see that. That episode with the sex worker...

That and the Kung Fu Wolf Bitch I think the episode is called. The summary of the episode was "it don't matter how interesting you are if you listen to your single rear end homegirls you always gonna be single."

I remember watching that episode thinking "everyone in that house trippin". Let me find a woman that participates in a real life Mortal Kombat and I'm marrying her on sight.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

That and the Kung Fu Wolf Bitch I think the episode is called. The summary of the episode was "it don't matter how interesting you are if you listen to your single rear end homegirls you always gonna be single."

I remember watching that episode thinking "everyone in that house trippin". Let me find a woman that participates in a real life Mortal Kombat and I'm marrying her on sight.

I know some MMA girls and I feel like you would do very well with them, real talk.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

negromancer posted:

I thought the problem with Luna was that she was really needy because all her exes were abusive to her?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

my girlfriend is Legos posted:

I had no idea there was a 2014 season until just now. I understand McGruder wasn't involved in it, but in what way was it bad?

Just think of it as the Boondocks without most of the social commentary that makes the show interesting in the first place. A lot of the characters just really don't play much of a role and a lot of times, its just downright boring. I honestly, don't think I even finished the whole season.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

negromancer posted:

Maybe some people might have an ethical issue with a romantic partner who participates in death tournaments, but that episode seemed to take more exception to the idea that a grown woman might be any kind of physical threat to an elderly man and two literal children.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Is that the episode where the woman blows herself up with a grenade at the end? I think I only saw that episode once because it was kind of cringeworthy.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I gonna go a little toward left field and saw that I kinda wish The Boondocks had stayed a comic strip.

I say this as someone who spends probably too much time lurking through the politoon thread.

Something is needed to stand up against Drinky Duck and Scott "middle aged man using a young black girl as a GOP mouth piece" Stannis, and Candorville ain't really cutting it.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

there wolf posted:

Maybe some people might have an ethical issue with a romantic partner who participates in death tournaments, but that episode seemed to take more exception to the idea that a grown woman might be any kind of physical threat to an elderly man and two literal children.

That's literally any grown woman that owns a gun then.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

negromancer posted:

That's literally any grown woman that owns a gun then.

You'd think that, but I've found most sexist guys are convinced they can just overcome a woman with a gun, or any kind of weapon. I once watch a dude try and kick pepper spray out of a girl's hand like he was loving Jet Lee or something. Ruined a shoe and still got a face full of the stuff.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I would be very wary about getting into a physical confrontation with a woman, whether she had a weapon or not, because it's a rather unfortunate truth that us men have a very vulnerable area exposed to attack pretty much constantly.

Unless these people walk around with a cup on all the time I really don't think their attempts to overpower a woman with a gun or not are going to be risk free.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Anyone seen fences yet? I liked it and enjoyed how multifaceted Denzel's character was. Viola Davis was great too.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Panfilo posted:

Anyone seen fences yet? I liked it and enjoyed how multifaceted Denzel's character was. Viola Davis was great too.

Crossposting from Misogynoir:

I recently read an interview with Viola Davis that is I think the best magazine profile of an actor I've ever seen. There's a lot in here about her upbringing that's relevant to this thread, especially the complex relationship her mother had with her father, but it's also the only actor interview I can recall reading that actually lets the actor talk in depth about acting.

Viola Davis's Call to Adventure - The New Yorker

It's a good reminder of how close the past is to us too. Viola Davis was born in 1965, and yet:

quote:

Davis’s parents, Dan and Mae Alice, married when Mae Alice was fifteen and Dan, a racehorse groom, was twenty-two. (Dan left school after second grade and was illiterate until he was fifteen; Mae Alice quit after eighth grade.) Davis, the fifth of their six children, was delivered by her grandmother in a one-room sharecropper’s shack on a former plantation near St. Matthews, South Carolina. “My mom says that all the aunts and uncles, everybody was in the house, just drinking, laughing, eating,” Davis told me. “She said, ‘And then when you was born everybody was yelling and cheering. Jumping up. I had a sardine-tomato-onion-mustard sandwich.’”

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Whoa yea, that hits close to home. My dad was born in a similar situation in 1954. His mom and dad were sharecroppers, and their parents were the first freeborn people in my family.

It is insane to me that I am only 3 generations removed from slavery and only one from sharecropping.

It is so inspiring to see someone make it from that, like Viola.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Fluffdaddy posted:

Whoa yea, that hits close to home. My dad was born in a similar situation in 1954. His mom and dad were sharecroppers, and their parents were the first freeborn people in my family.

It is insane to me that I am only 3 generations removed from slavery and only one from sharecropping.

It is so inspiring to see someone make it from that, like Viola.

And yet when you talk to white people about reparations, it was SUCH A LONG TIME AGO GOSH WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY FOR STUFF I WASNT THERE FOR.

Meanwhile a lot of black folks still have living relatives that were the first freeborn black people in their family, like my grandfather and great grandmother.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

negromancer posted:

And yet when you talk to white people about reparations, it was SUCH A LONG TIME AGO GOSH WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY FOR STUFF I WASNT THERE FOR.

Meanwhile a lot of black folks still have living relatives that were the first freeborn black people in their family, like my grandfather and great grandmother.

Definitely true. Over Christmas my grandmother and her sisters talked a little bit about segregation when they were growing up. It started out as a rant about kids these days and their hippity hop and how they don't know how to dress for proper events (which was :3: as hell) and then segued into an interesting discussion about the dance halls they went to when they were young in SC. There was an upstairs and a downstairs to the place. Black people had to be upstairs, white people were allowed to be downstairs, but could go upstairs if they wanted. The black people upstairs were having such a good time that the whites wanted to join in and it became one big party...until, y'know, people decided to very strongly reinforce the segregation. My folks don't like to talk about it a whole lot, but they will drop in a story like this every now and then.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Aren't there still high school proms that are still segregated in some places? Basically all the white kids in the school shell out for a 'private' prom so they don't have to dance in the same venue as the black kids. hosed up if true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Aren't there still high school proms that are still segregated in some places? Basically all the white kids in the school shell out for a 'private' prom so they don't have to dance in the same venue as the black kids. hosed up if true.

In some places, yeah, but I can't say just how common it is.

• Locked thread