Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I think the trading of masterwork items is fixed in .05 but it's not a game breaking bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a DF Mod, or maybe a plugin that re-names all the ores and poo poo to simplify the game a bit?

Like Magnetite, Hemontite, Lemonite, Fuckoffinite and ballpunchinite could all be renamed to Iron

all the different flux stones could be "flux stones" stuff like that?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

ZypherIM posted:

I haven't played in quite a while, but honestly dwarf therapist is pretty integral for me to not get quickly annoyed when I'm trying to change stuff around. Are there game critical fixes from 43.03 to 43.05 (along the lines of geese laying iron chairs or things like that), or is it mostly just the update to 64 bit?

Dfhack has their own dwarf therapist built in called dwarf manipulator. It might not have the fancy UI but it beats suffering with 32 bit.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Turtlicious posted:

...to simplify the game a bit?

:crossarms:

Have you ever played Dwarf Fortress?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Turtlicious posted:

Is there a DF Mod, or maybe a plugin that re-names all the ores and poo poo to simplify the game a bit?

Like Magnetite, Hemontite, Lemonite, Fuckoffinite and ballpunchinite could all be renamed to Iron

all the different flux stones could be "flux stones" stuff like that?
The closest you'll get is something like Accelerated Modest Mod, which renames the "hawk meat" and "carp leather" to just "meat" and "leather", though last I heard it was still bugged. There's also Masterwork, which includes that functionality and much more besides, but I'm not sure you'd really need the "much more besides".

Having said that, I am totally down for a mod that just replaces slate/diorite/gabbro/etc with "grey junk stone".

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
god forbid anyone learns a bit of mineralology from this game

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Tarezax posted:

god forbid anyone learns a bit of mineralology from this game

well okay lets all calm down

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I have to marble at people who talc about wanting simplicity in dwarf fortress - it's a ridiculously complex conglomerate of ideas and factoids by design.

But, let's not be salty about this. Shale we start again with a clean slate instead? Just read the wiki, memorize the few ores that matter, and chalk the rest of them up as junk stone. It's a gneiss, elegant solution.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

my dad posted:

I have to marble at people who talc about wanting simplicity in dwarf fortress - it's a ridiculously complex conglomerate of ideas and factoids by design.

But, let's not be salty about this. Shale we start again with a clean slate instead? Just read the wiki, memorize the few ores that matter, and chalk the rest of them up as junk stone. It's a gneiss, elegant solution.

holy poo poo

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

my dad posted:

now do one for marmot leather

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

my dad posted:

2016 strikes again

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

my dad posted:

this post rocks

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

now do one for marmot leather

I started writing about giant two humped camels, but then I realized Suetonius already wrote about your mom in his most famous work.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

my dad posted:

but then I realized Suetonius already wrote about your mom in his most famous work.

greetings from the ancient history thread

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

So I retired a fort due to constant Were-Elephants and started a new one in the same universe, some of my migrants are survivors from the previous fort (which i've seen before and is cool) but some of those migrants are dead survivors from the previous fort. As in they died but are showing up alive on the edge of the map, but they don't move and people bring them water (and they can spot Kobold thieves, something i've not had to worry about for like 5 forts!) They are listed as only having injuries they had before the injuries that killed them in their descriptions/thoughts, but the wounds list has the missing limbs they got when they died in glorious combat against the Were-Elephant hordes (which might be why they aren't moving as they are missing limbs.) They even get designated a coffin despite the game counting them as alive. I used DFHack to kill one as I was worried it was going to corrupt the game but a second one has now shown up so I'm leaving him alive to see if the eventual goblin invasion notices him. They aren't zombies or weres, they are just people who should be dead but aren't.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I've got my money on "feature" rather than "bug."

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Pretty sure this is the start of a creepypasta. I expect soon they'll start addressing you directly with disturbing insights about your darkest secrets.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I used the old MW mod simpification stuff not because I really just can't be bothered dealing with the various kinds of leather/stone/wood (although if you can't, I totally understand) but because of the FPS gain. Whether there actually was one idk, but I think there was.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The second living dead guy died of dehydration when all the lakes froze for the winter and there was no water in the first cavern level. RIP dead guy who is now dead again. Also one of my migrants in the next wave was one of the were-elephants, a character I had actually renamed with "were-" in his name and was sealed in a wall. My militia killed him without casualties because he decided to try to beat them with socks instead of biting them, and then turned back to dwarf and was stabbed. One of the pets that came with the old fort refuges was a war dog I had trained that came complete with injuries sustained in the old fort, I didn't know they reused animals like sentient creatures but it makes sense.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Make sure you send some stuff to Toady about it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tars Tarkas posted:

The second living dead guy died of dehydration when all the lakes froze for the winter and there was no water in the first cavern level. RIP dead guy who is now dead again. Also one of my migrants in the next wave was one of the were-elephants, a character I had actually renamed with "were-" in his name and was sealed in a wall. My militia killed him without casualties because he decided to try to beat them with socks instead of biting them, and then turned back to dwarf and was stabbed. One of the pets that came with the old fort refuges was a war dog I had trained that came complete with injuries sustained in the old fort, I didn't know they reused animals like sentient creatures but it makes sense.

Check out the legends mode for the twice dead guys.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Good idea!

I tried looking up the two guys and it was easy to find one:

His death is not listed, he would have died during the final outbreak when someone from when I massacred the entire inn escaped (because a were got in there the month prior and may have bit who knows how many people) and turned and spread the were-elephant curse anew
Right after I retired the fort he got married(!) and joined my new fort:

He's listed as bled to death because he's the one I used the smite command on to kill and that's how they show up in the logs.

The other guy I had to look up the translation of his name but finally found him. He did nothing important but there is a gap in his life and he definitely died but nothing is recorded until he showed up at the new fort and dehydrated in the winter due to ice. Maybe save corruption blanked their deaths? But then they got marked for tombs, so I'm not sure. The xml file is like 750 Mb. I had a different long fort and then continued in that same universe and the game kept crashing because a forgotten beast that wasn't killed the first time was corrupted and kept crashing the game when it attacked the new fort, so had to abandon that world. I did make sure to kill as many of the forgotten beasts as I could to avoid that, the prior game I had like 6 trapped behind various trees on islands that were too much trouble to get to.

The only other thing I can think of is they died after the last save but before retiring and that somehow let them skip death. I have the quarterly saves all through that, I'll spend some time digging through them to see if I can find something.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Probably should upload the saves to the bug tracker as well.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

If I wall myself off from the outside world and a caravan shows up, will it instantly pass me by, or will it wait for a bit to allow me time to open a path for it?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The wagons will skip your rear end right then and there, but the pack animals will hang around. Try not to gamble with access area renovations in the fall!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

scamtank posted:

The wagons will skip your rear end right then and there, but the pack animals will hang around. Try not to gamble with access area renovations in the fall!

Dammit. well, I'll have to plan around that then. I'm starting a new fort, and this time I'm working things a bit differently. I'll be digging in wherever the wagon lands and making a small wall around that, then digging underground and eventually creating a "main" fortress entrance and sealing off the original one. I guess this means I'll have to opt for the drawbridge to always be open and close it for invaders instead of the other way around.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Invaders can enter from anywhere a wagon would. Your best bet in my experience is to build an airlock system, so you can open your depot to outside access and your fort to outside access separately.

e: The exception is apparently it's possible for wagons to enter from the caverns if you build a depot down there and none is accessible from the surface, but I've never tried this and then you just have the same problem but with cave critters instead of regular invaders.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yeah, I'm basically planning out an airlock of sorts made of traps and army squads, but in the interim I wanted an easy way to segregate things.

In other news, I found nearly the perfect embark. It's a 4x4, the upper 1x3 is mountain, the lower left 2x1 is river, and the lower right 2x2 is savanna. It's got flux stone and iron ore literally oozing out of the embankments on the top layer of dirt/rock. Only hitch is that the first cavern layer is at -9, and it's flooded with 7 deep water all the way through, and it's taking up where I wanted my entire fort to go. I also found kimberlite, which I gather contains diamonds. Considering the mineral wealth, I'm tempted to stick with it and build up, rather than down. Gnome Fortress.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I wouldn't even know what to do with a 4x4 map, and flooded caverns would be an instant no-go. I'm probably just picky, though, plus I mod out aquifers and make extensive use of the dfhack prospect command to be sure I find somewhere with iron ore.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I wouldn't even know what to do with a 4x4 map, and flooded caverns would be an instant no-go. I'm probably just picky, though, plus I mod out aquifers and make extensive use of the dfhack prospect command to be sure I find somewhere with iron ore.

4x4 was the default, and frankly, I never utilize the caverns anyway. I'm gonna try building a topside thing and see how I like the challenge of it. If it weren't for the mineral wealth, I wouldn't have bothered.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I put my first trade depot outside and unprotected until I'm able to get a safe entry going. Works fine for safer embarks at least, which I do because I am terrible at this game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
How are Musselmen not a thing?

edit: Boom. Suggested.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 30, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Musselmen won't be a thing until you can flex to intimidate elves.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

e: The exception is apparently it's possible for wagons to enter from the caverns if you build a depot down there and none is accessible from the surface, but I've never tried this and then you just have the same problem but with cave critters instead of regular invaders.

I've tried this. They won't enter from there but they will leave from there. If there's no trade depot accessible on the surface the wagons just peace out and the pack animals trudge the long way down to the cavern depot.

That was a few versions ago though.

neogeo0823 posted:

I guess this means I'll have to opt for the drawbridge to always be open and close it for invaders instead of the other way around.

Just keep the depot outside your walls or whatever and then you can keep the drawbridge closed until you want to come out.

I'm jealous of your embark. I usually do 3x3 or 4x4 too. Are most of you going bigger than that? I worry about my fps 10-15 game years down the line on big embarks.

I'm poo poo at the world gen thing, does anyone have tips for making sheer cliffs? Like 10-30 z-level vertical ones instead of the gently sloping stuff? I like building a big entrance into the sides of those things but it's rare that I find one.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 30, 2016

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's not a way to search for iron at the embark selection screen, rather than waiting until the embark itself... is there?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
With dfhack's prospect all command before embarking. It'll estimate the materials in the selected area.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I've found this game really hard to get into, mostly due to lack of time. Gnomoria is $4 on Steam right now. Is it a decent DF Lite?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ynglaur posted:

I've found this game really hard to get into, mostly due to lack of time. Gnomoria is $4 on Steam right now. Is it a decent DF Lite?

It's got its own eccentricities and the dev has stopped working on it, in favor of community mods. I have it, and for $4 it's definitely worth it as a DFlite, but don't expect it to surpass the original in really any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks!