Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woden
May 6, 2006
I wouldn't be surprised if a barbarian or whatever out DPSes a monk with wraps now.

At least they fixed stances I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I've got a level 12 fighter that I had originally intended to switch over into barb, but now I don't know what to do. the siren song of crazy crit threat range in kensei is tempting. Either way I have to reroll it because it's an old character that was built like crap (has a lesser heart and a 20 heart so I haven't really cared much).

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Double post but the thread isn't exactly fast moving. Did anyone crunch the numbers on what the best red Aug is for weapons? Is it those meteor ones that do fire and bludgeon on proc? Or do the aoe burst ones work a bit better? Some combo of them or just all of one kind?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Meteor is up to 90d6 fire + 30d6 bludgeon + knockdown, 2% proc chance. So 420~ average damage on an ML30 item, 8.4/hit.
The best Ruby Eye ones are 6.3/hit.
The level 28 damage every hit ones are 7/hit average and single target. They're more consistent due to not having a 2% proc rate, but also more boring due to no big numbers.
Crushing Wave is 10.5/hit but single target and has a chance to proc while it's already up and be wasted, and doesn't stack with multiple people using it last I heard.

Also Update 33 is live. Monk rework and fixing handwraps. Cool new deity lines for clerics/fvs/paladins. Further small nerf to Warlock survivability. Critical multiplier bonuses now work on throwing weapons, so that seems like it would help those rare throwers out significantly. Also Protection from Evil finally fixed to give immunity for the full length instead of just 1 minute.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 21, 2016

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Awesome thanks. Probably switch to two meteors in my reforged handwraps since the extra aoe is really nice to have. Also three aoe price including the fire baked into the wraps means I proc a fair bit. I think I had the fire and cold eyes in it before. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a likelihood of lgs wraps anytime soon.

Edit: the cosmetic armour from nights revels is pretty cool. Don't have the helmet yet. Ran a bit last night and the two new dungeons are decent. Pretty much what you'd expect based off of the previous ones. They are a bit longer though. Maybe snitch and the lich length or longer?

double edit: The key drop rate is fuckin dismal if you're solo, though.

RosaParksOfDip fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 22, 2016

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Has Turbine ever explained why the /stuck command has such a bloody long cooldown? Obviously it's an anti spam thing to some extent but come on. Put a ten minute cooldown or something tops. Or maybe they're worried about it being used to cheese stuff somehow since it seems to use checkpoints of sorts as opposed to just shifting you a foot or two to a valid movement location.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah, I think anti-exploit was the closest thing they've said. And that since most quests can just be re-run quickly, it's not normally a huge issue. But I agree with you, it's unlikely to exploited in any meaningful way, and a couple minutes is plenty to discourage spamming it.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I tend to jump a lot leading to me getting stuck like a dumbass quite frequently so it's always annoying when I've got to be extra careful for the next hour.

In other news, this whole reaper mode thing seems interesting. Especially since power creep has been crazy for the past while now.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

They won't be providing granular details on what mobs do and do not have for reaper mode. Self healing will heal for less than healing other people. 10 skull Reaper is almost impossible with current gear (someone was hit for nearly 4k melee). Reapers also snare you and prevent tumbling (but are, and should be, killed). CC duration reduced. Massive damage reduction on the mobs. Really boring way to make things hard.

Basically it's a mode for narrowing the focus of builds more and pushing people into grouping. Neither of which is something I'm a fan of in DDO especially. That said, having places where even someone who is skilled can fail is good, I just prefer having the challenge created in different ways. Which admittedly better AI/design, especially on a massive scale, is tough and costs a lot of development resources. But hey, maybe once the bugs and tweaks get ironed out it'll feel better, have to wait and see!

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
At least they reduced player damage instead of just pumping up the mob CR. Cause anything DC based would have been impossible to succeed. I do like the idea of sort of forcing it to be group content despite the fact that it kind of pigeonholes players especially since the player base isn't exactly massive and at this point if you don't run with groups, odds are you won't really in the future.

Goddamnit DemonMage. You made me actually think about it and now I think it might be a waste of dev time.

Side note, I wish they'd merge the servers...

Woden
May 6, 2006

DemonMage posted:

Yeah, I think anti-exploit was the closest thing they've said. And that since most quests can just be re-run quickly, it's not normally a huge issue. But I agree with you, it's unlikely to exploited in any meaningful way, and a couple minutes is plenty to discourage spamming it.

The 10 minute cooldown stops people from really looking into exploits with it, if it was down to 1-2 mins it'd probably see a bit more action.

With Reaper mode being that tough there's even more reason to look for exploits.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
It's not a ten minute cooldown. 10 would be reasonable. It's an hour cooldown.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Festivult is on just FYI. Coins will drop until January 2nd. Still nothing new on Lamannia, so no official notes on Reaper mode or anything yet.

Raften
May 20, 2007
Cognates! They stay crunchy, even in milk!
DDO is going to keep limping into the future as former Turbine employees splinter off to make Standing Stone Games I'm kind of happy about this because I always enjoy coming back to this game with some friends every year or so, and the stuff they were meaning to do before Turbine got switched to mobile games sounded pretty cool. The downside is that they're working for Daybreak now, but maybe russian mobsters love D&D.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Well, it's better than the game shutting down. With any luck it'll be good for it. Also I haven't heard anything explicitly bad about Daybreak handling EQ1/2, but haven't really kept up with it much. Would be interesting if it was added to the Daybreak sub package I guess.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Considering it's Turbine Points, wonder how that whole currency is getting shifted over.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Wait a second - what does this mean for Asheron's Call?!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

There hasn't been an AC patch since March of 2014. They were apparently going to release an official private server for it at some point this year, but as of Sept the word was "we have nothing to say at this time, when we do, we will". So uhh. I'd say it's not looking good. The dev tracker is all Cordovan and page 1 has stuff from Feb of this year on it.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Wait a second - what does this mean for Asheron's Call?!

death

https://www.asheronscall.com/en/forums/showthread.php?73423-Asheron-s-Call&p=753697

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

That's such a shame.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Rest in peace Dereth.

You will be fondly remembered and missed.

As to DDO, is this actually good news? It looked as if DDO was being abandoned but maybe it will get more attention now?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

How did DDO seem abandoned? It's gotten a content update every 3 months, with the exception of this month's being pushed back a single month.
It could mean good things for DDO with them including it in the Daybreak sub so more people are willing to try it. It could mean a renewed push for press/adverts. Or it could just mean the same 3 month update cycle we've had.

That said I do long for the days when content updates were closer to Prison of the Planes than 3 small quests.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It just got a new module ripped from Greyhawk: an adaptation of Scourge of the Slave Lords. Don't know if it's any good or not but I enjoyed the Temple of Elemental Evil one they released a couple years ago. The ridiculous amount of drops needed to upgrade the ToEE weapons can gently caress right off though.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

DemonMage posted:

How did DDO seem abandoned? It's gotten a content update every 3 months, with the exception of this month's being pushed back a single month.
It could mean good things for DDO with them including it in the Daybreak sub so more people are willing to try it. It could mean a renewed push for press/adverts. Or it could just mean the same 3 month update cycle we've had.

That said I do long for the days when content updates were closer to Prison of the Planes than 3 small quests.
Neat, I thought DDO was in maintenance mode. I read the populations were pathetic.

What is the most populated server now? Do any goons still play and if so, what server?

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
The populations can get a bit iffy. Honestly if the architectural background is at all feasible, they should merge the servers. There are way too many for the player counts. I play on khyber with my buddies and it can be pretty lean especially the AH ever since they made the shard AH.

Raften
May 20, 2007
Cognates! They stay crunchy, even in milk!
From what I heard, DDO's maintenance mode was going to be pushing out the year's worth of content that they still had in the pipeline and then that was probably going to be it. With this they can probably keep chugging along at the same pace they've been going at.

You can check the server population at http://ddoracle.com/Traffic.html and see that the game isn't quite dead yet. If you could mash all of these servers together you'd have around 3000-3500 people on one server, which for a game like DDO would be a ton. It's not like you need a ton of people in this game since its not a regular mmo where there's a large world to gently caress around in.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I saw a dev post on the official forums shortly after the announcement saying that doing a merge would be too much work.

Looks like Sarlona is the server to play on, if I want the largest population anyway?

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

Decided to finally try this game out over the holidays since it's one of the few MMOs I could get to run on my lovely MacBook Air that I travel with. Any tips for complete idiot newbies?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
CON is not a dump stat

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

If anyone actually wants to spend money on this, they're doing a 75% off sale on the starter pack and expansions in the ddo store.

e: Also, can I get an invite to the old goon guild as Jonystus?

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 26, 2016

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

So I have not played in a while but am going to play again. I have some money and stuff and know the game modestly well but have not seriously played in years so optimal builds and such are foreign to me.

I want to run through random quests and explore them with no desire to min-max or get the best loots and so on. Does this mean I need search and trap skills?

Does this basically mean I have to play a rogue? I do not want to play a dual wielder or an archer, I'd like to play a sword+board or a two hander. Could something with sufficiently good saves which is not a rogue make dealing with traps manageable, maybe a paladin or a monk?

I don't plan to use my stored supplies and gold but it sound like gold for healing and such are easy to come by now a days anyway?

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Diogines posted:

So I have not played in a while but am going to play again. I have some money and stuff and know the game modestly well but have not seriously played in years so optimal builds and such are foreign to me.

I want to run through random quests and explore them with no desire to min-max or get the best loots and so on. Does this mean I need search and trap skills?

Does this basically mean I have to play a rogue? I do not want to play a dual wielder or an archer, I'd like to play a sword+board or a two hander. Could something with sufficiently good saves which is not a rogue make dealing with traps manageable, maybe a paladin or a monk?

I don't plan to use my stored supplies and gold but it sound like gold for healing and such are easy to come by now a days anyway?

If you're not doing elite, traps pretty much just tickle. Walk through, drink pots.

If you do want to actually disable them, perhaps Swashbuckler Bard with Rogue splash?

Great for soloing, plenty of skill point to keep Rogue skills up even with only a couple Rogue levels.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
If you are just playing on normal or hard modes, traps are rarely if ever deadly, and a build with good saves and some self healing will be fine. This latest patch made monks even better for solo casual play, and paladins have been a strong class for a while now, although splashing 2 monk levels with your paladin is still a good choice.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You absolutely don't need to rogue it up at all. If you want to explore every nook and cranny, you do kinda want either a level or 2 of rogue and then also something like ranger or bard, for the skill points. Or spend turbine points on the rogue hireling :v:

That said, I had tons of fun playing this game as a solo pure rogue. Stealthing it up, skipping most of the fights, stabbing the boss, bailing out. Stealth is pretty well done in this game, and IIRC just when I've stopped playing they've upgraded it to work even better (used to be that once you got discovered by something they'd always find you even miles away).

e;fb

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Truga posted:

You absolutely don't need to rogue it up at all. If you want to explore every nook and cranny, you do kinda want either a level or 2 of rogue and then also something like ranger or bard, for the skill points. Or spend turbine points on the rogue hireling :v:

That said, I had tons of fun playing this game as a solo pure rogue. Stealthing it up, skipping most of the fights, stabbing the boss, bailing out. Stealth is pretty well done in this game, and IIRC just when I've stopped playing they've upgraded it to work even better (used to be that once you got discovered by something they'd always find you even miles away).

e;fb

Won't stealthing past to kill the boss trigger whatever that... dungeon alert mechanic was and buff the boss big time?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Dungeon Alert is only triggered by having poo poo agroed on you. If you can run ahead and stealth it'll eventually drop down. If you legit stealth and they never see you it never goes up. Any instance where it does is a bug.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, basically I chose to play the game as a splinter cell clone. 1-10 kills per most dungeons, etc. Sometimes this is straight up impossible due to either dungeon mechanics or MMO bullshittery (can't have people skip our content! let's put lovely barriers that open on clearing the area of enemies), but in dungeons where you can just kill the boss and get noticed by absolutely nothing else it feels great.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Truga posted:

Yeah, basically I chose to play the game as a splinter cell clone. 1-10 kills per most dungeons, etc. Sometimes this is straight up impossible due to either dungeon mechanics or MMO bullshittery (can't have people skip our content! let's put lovely barriers that open on clearing the area of enemies), but in dungeons where you can just kill the boss and get noticed by absolutely nothing else it feels great.

That actually sounds interesting.

Any suggestions on a build or links to a build to try that?

Something which does not involve me quitting my real life job and mortgaging my cat to reincarnate 30 times to achieve.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

e: Also, can I get an invite to the old goon guild as Jonystus?

Mailed you an invite, would have done so sooner but didn't see the edit.

Diogines posted:

That actually sounds interesting.

Any suggestions on a build or links to a build to try that?

Something which does not involve me quitting my real life job and mortgaging my cat to reincarnate 30 times to achieve.

Assuming Truga doesn't get back to you with something more specific, I'd imagine:
Human, Elf, or Halfling are all viable
Two-Weapon Fighting
Dex based
Heavy Assassin, with some in your racial tree, maybe some Harper or Mechanic (trap/spot stuff) as well. Maybe a dip into Thief-Acrobat for Fast Movement.

This thread seems to have some good ideas, and I don't think anything has changed to make them non viable since last year. Main thing was the patch that made Assassinate the higher of dex or int, so int isn't nearly as important for an Assassin anymore so you can just go ridiculous dex and have it give you defense and offense. You lose Power Attack, but Precision is really solid anyways and they're mutually exclusive.

[Edit] Apparently the most recent patch that nerfed the ability to single ranged pull mobs from a group, rightfully so, also hosed up assassinating stuff while solo. So maybe bad timing on wanting to be a cool super stealthy dude :(

Also as an aside, they said DDO and LoTRO are extremely unlikely to be added to the Daybreak All Access sub. While I was expecting that to be the case, I was really really hoping they would :(

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

drat. Okay then. There goes that idea. That sounded fun too.

I want to play a character who fights in melee with magical or quasi-magical abilities, but is not dual wielding. I have no idea what I want beyond that. I don't want a barbarian.

Paladin? Cleric? Favored soul? Monk?

I just want to run as many dungeons as possible, I am not concerned with an optimal build, just something that will let me survive to make it through dungeons. If I can splash in enough trap skills to handle most traps as I level or take a level or two of rogue if needed, that is a bonus but not required.

I appreciate your suggestions!

• Locked thread