Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I still don't know if I like sombra (only played her like 3 times, just mean in general)
i do know that her presence and ult on a KOTH map can make lucio feel useless though, especially if she waits to unbreak it down. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SectumSempra posted:

I still don't know if I like sombra (only played her like 3 times, just mean in general)

Sombra's problem is that Blizzard was (rightly) terrified of putting a stealth-based character into an FPS game, and she consequently feels weak at her role's main job of dealing damage. Her SMG has high DPS, but only if you're either standing right next to someone or if the target has a broad enough hitbox (Torbjorn, Zenyatta) that the spread will consistently hit them. In theory, her playstyle is supposed to involve getting into the backlines with stealth, dropping a beacon, stealthing up behind the enemy team, finding a target to harass/kill, and then teleporting away with Beacon when things get too hot. In practice, she ends up feeling like a ghetto Tracer with more vertical mobility. Her lack of in-combat mobility and the high TTK of the SMG on most targets means that you can't apply harass as consistently as Tracer can, nor can you assassinate targets quickly like Reaper can. The fact that Hack can be interrupted by damage also makes her feel clunky to play, like you're banking on the enemy team to be dumb enough to not check over their shoulders every so often or that you won't get dinged by a single bullet while trying to execute it. I also don't understand why Beacon has a quarter-second delay on the teleport actually executing, such that I've been hit by a loving Roadhog hook during the TP and been pulled back from my Beacon location.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
How to Play Tracer or Zip zip, pew pew pew.

Tracer's job is to take teams apart one person at a time. You're not AoE and you're exceedingly squishy. But you can put out a ton of damage in a short time and shred almost everything in the game. You're also going to lose multiple person fights because enough winging shots will take you down quickly.

You've got three real tools: blinks, a recall, and a pulse bomb.

Generally, you're going to want all three blinks for a fight. Your blinks will recharge every three seconds and the key thing is to use all four directions when blinking. Bad tracers just blink forwards and backwards. Good tracers blink sideways. You blink once to get in, you blink during your fight, you recall out.

Your recall is both your "oh poo poo" button and your source of healing. If you're fighting without a recall, chances are you're going to die unless you kill the other person first. And even then, you're a sitting duck if someone else sees you. People can still chase you down if you blink. A recall is how you ideally disengage.

Positioning

It's rare you're ever going to run straight up into a fight. That's a great way to die. Ideally, you're going to be approaching enemies from the flanks. Use the side routes. Alternately, you can use your blinks to blink through the crush but this is risky.

What you want to do is get to the side or back of the crush and pick a target. Your best target is Mercy. Mercy holds teams together, she doesn't have a lot of health or offense and she's mobile. You can down mercy in a single clip and if she escapes, you can blink to her and keep shooting her. Basically, take out the healer. If the healer is Ana or Lucio, you're going to have more trouble.

If the healer's already down, you can either focus on solo DPS or one of the tanks. Shoot them in the side or the back. They'll have a lot of trouble with you, mainly because they don't have ways of dealing with you. Your favorite tank should be Winston. Winston is a huge bag of squishy HP, he's a huge target and you can down him in two clips. Plus, he can't catch you. Reinhardt is also a great target because he'll be focused on holding his shield and you can easily blink out of range.

Surviving Fights

You're more mobile than everyone in the game except Lucio. If you play it smart, you should be able to win almost every fight. The key is Avoid stuns and one hit kills.

Every character, upon seeing tracer, will try his or her best to stun you or just get you to stay still. And they'll do it quickly. Anticipate it and blink sideways. If you blink backward, they'll still be able to get you. If you blink through them, you can't shoot them.

McCree will always flashbang you. Roadhog will always try to hook you. Mei will always try to freeze you and Hanzo will always try to aim and one hit kill you. Anticipate the shot, blink sideways and shoot them in the head. After that, they'll have a hard time catching you.

Fights You're Not Going to Win

There's some huge disadvantages to playing Tracer in that Torbjorn and Symmetra are both hard, hard counters to you. Torbjorn's turret is a serious obstacle and symmetra's turrets both stop you and melt you. If either one of them is there, either get your teammates to take them out or switch. You're that hampered by them. You can take either in a one-on-one fight (especially Torb; symmetra is tough because she locks on and your low health is a huge detriment) but the turrets will melt you.

You're also going to have trouble with Mei if you're within range.

Ana is going to wait for you to get close and AOE you. You're going to want to lead her into using her heal grenade and then attacking her seriously. Otherwise, just pepper her until she uses it.

Don't waste your time on Phara. You're at a stalemate unless she's on the ground.

Everyone else? Avoid the stun or one-hit kill or reflect and melt them.

Pulse Bombs

Pulse bombs are great but the key is you need to stick them to people. You're already a close range fighter. If you've got a pulse bomb, burn blinks getting in, stick it on someone's face and recall out. It'll at least kill them but hopefully others will be there with them.

Don't stick them to Mei or D.Va. They'll be ready for that.

And pulse bombs are a fantastic counter to a bastion sitting somewhere.

When You Should Use Tracer

Tracer's actually great on any map. Zipping out of the base, circling around, and shooting at their healers will dissemble teams. The key is to look at the other team composition. If there's a mercy, use her. If there's a zen, use her. If there are squishy tanks, use her.

The only time you may want to avoid her is on attacking payloads because you can contribute more by staying on the payload and zipping around. Alternately, if there's a torbjorn or symmetra. They counter you that hard.

The key thing about tracer is this: a great tracer is loving annoying. Zip everywhere. Focus down the healers. Take out the squishy targets then focus on the tanks. You're nearly impossible to catch if you play it right.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 26, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Ult charge should reward good play, and good play for a healer is doing healing.

I wonder if the poor design decision is actually having healers.

Edit: Your loot boxes will have the same contents however long you hold on to them.

The poor design decision is that except for Ana, none of the healers have enough healing power alone to really matter in a teamfight, and they don't get ult charge for the more powerful abilities everyone actually uses them for.

For example, Lucio doesn't get ult charge for speed boosting people, booping enemies off cliffs, or using his survivability to stall objectives. The only things he gets ult for are peppering people with his crappy gun and using his awful heal to top off his victorious teammates after they win the teamfight. Mercy's only useful ability is her rez, and healing is just what she does to build up her ult meter so she can use the thing that actually makes her worth picking. Zen is a murderbot that also has a really weak healing ability tacked on for some reason.

Also, healing abilities are completely no-skill on OW - aside from Ana, all the healers have to do is stand near their target and try to not die - so the amount of ult charge you get is mostly dependent on your teammates' skill level rather than your own.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I think you're overstating Symmetra as a counter and it's weird to say Tracer is good "even on defense" when she's significantly better on defense than offense.

Looks good otherwise though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

How do you blink sideways, don't you just blink towards your crosshair

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think you're overstating Symmetra as a counter and it's weird to say Tracer is good "even on defense" when she's significantly better on defense than offense.

Looks good otherwise though.

Yeah, i'll toss that out.

Symmetra's a very difficult fight because you're fighting in similar ranges and she doesn't have to aim. You do. You've got to engage her at the edge of your range.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You blink towards the direction you're holding.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You blink in whatever direction you're moving.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh wow. Uh, that definitely changes how I'll be playing

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

Yeah, i'll toss that out.

Symmetra's a very difficult fight because you're fighting in similar ranges and she doesn't have to aim. You do. You've got to engage her at the edge of your range.

This is true, but maintaining that range is fairly normal for Tracer anyways -- you almost always want to be right at the edge of your own falloff because that's where you can track the best while still dealing full damage. Symmetra raises the stakes a little but if she gets in, you can always blink out.

Basically she can zone you but she doesn't really have any way to put pressure on you like McCree, Hanzo, or even Mei can. (The latter more because of her ability to 1HKO you on a headshot than her close range M1, but still.)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Main Paineframe posted:

The poor design decision is that except for Ana, none of the healers have enough healing power alone to really matter in a teamfight, and they don't get ult charge for the more powerful abilities everyone actually uses them for.

For example, Lucio doesn't get ult charge for speed boosting people, booping enemies off cliffs, or using his survivability to stall objectives.

I'm pretty sure this isn't true, I've seen Lucios boop people off of cliffs and get rewarded with a sudden chunk of ult charge.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is true, but maintaining that range is fairly normal for Tracer anyways -- you almost always want to be right at the edge of your own falloff because that's where you can track the best while still dealing full damage. Symmetra raises the stakes a little but if she gets in, you can always blink out.

Basically she can zone you but she doesn't really have any way to put pressure on you like McCree, Hanzo, or even Mei can. (The latter more because of her ability to randomly headshot you than her close range M1, but still.)

I'll actually try to get in pretty close on most characters. Your gun's still got a spread and if you maximize your headshots, the chances of finishing people in one clip goes up. The only real threat McCree and Hanzo pose are their opening volleys. If Hanzo misses that first arrow, he's usually toast. And most McCrees (barring high end comp ones) will attempt to flashbang you immediately. If they miss, you're good to go.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh wow. Uh, that definitely changes how I'll be playing

Yay! My efforts were worth it. Glad to hear it man.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

For example, Lucio doesn't get ult charge for speed boosting people, booping enemies off cliffs, or using his survivability to stall objectives. The only things he gets ult for are peppering people with his crappy gun and using his awful heal to top off his victorious teammates after they win the teamfight. Mercy's only useful ability is her rez, and healing is just what she does to build up her ult meter so she can use the thing that actually makes her worth picking. Zen is a murderbot that also has a really weak healing ability tacked on for some reason.

Also, healing abilities are completely no-skill on OW - aside from Ana, all the healers have to do is stand near their target and try to not die - so the amount of ult charge you get is mostly dependent on your teammates' skill level rather than your own.
I thought you got ult charge and damage credit equal to someone's remaining health if you environment kill them, so booping is one of the fastest ways to get ult for Lucio. As for speed boost, I ended up seeing that as a balancing factor. Speed boost is usually better, but doesn't build ult like healing boost does.

Though in general, you're right that ult rate for most healers isn't based off of their actual healing, but other factors.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

SectumSempra posted:

As much as i like lucio, i feel like when i play everyone I play with just wants to shoot and press the buttons, and everyone also believe they are their own personal rambo.
So I never get the chance to get everyone in a place so that they can benefit from healing/ speed.

Keep playing Lucio if you like him. If you've got an Army Of One team, it doesn't matter if you switched off Lucio; you're gonna lose (unless the other team Rambos harder.) Or, just say something polite if you regularly play with friends. It's all too easy to not acknowledge what classes your teammates are playing during a match, or maybe they've just seldom/never played Lucio and don't realize his healing relies on decently close proximity and line of sight.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

SectumSempra posted:

i do know that her presence and ult on a KOTH map can make lucio feel useless though, especially if she waits to unbreak it down. :saddowns:

I still maintain she's quite effective to secure kills against distracted tanks, since you can prevent their escapes or defenses with Hack.

Incidentally, EMP now hacks health packs in LoS, which is cool I guess :confused:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Re: Tracer, the thing that really seems to separate skilled from unskilled Tracers in my experience is map awareness. Blinking sideways is a good start but if you're simply blinking into walls and getting hung up on geometry then you become an easy target. Watching pro Tracers play it's like they have a sixth sense for their map surroundings. That's the sort of thing that only comes with practice but you can load up maps in custom games and get a feel for them.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You know you've arrived as Tracer when you can blink backwards into a health pack and pick it up on the first try without looking.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Papercut posted:

You blink in whatever direction you're moving.

Well that's loving game changing. Gonna have to roll with Tracer a few rounds, I think.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well that takes the cake as the new pressing e breaks your icewall early

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

I'm about 90% sure the game never makes you aware of either of those, as the detailed tutorial is for Soldier 76. You'd never know that it's a matter of blinking in the direction you're going rather than looking if you never blink unless you're moving in the direction you're facing.

I wasn't even aware you could blink backwards. Blinking is suddenly something goddamn useful and not "I can move forward really, really fast for a really brief period, ho ho hum".

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I knew that, but mostly end up panic blinking into both walls of a corner when I don't look

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

I'm a little confused how you can play her for more than a few minutes and not just stumble upon it... are you all still pressing e to do it as well?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the game doesn't tell you about mei's wall I don't think but tracer's blink is really something you should figure out naturally after using it a few times

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

sleppy posted:

I'm a little confused how you can play her for more than a few minutes and not just stumble upon it... are you all still pressing e to do it as well?

Wait, as opposed to what?

...wait, Blink is Tracer's lshift.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Besesoth posted:

Wait, as opposed to what?

...wait, Blink is Tracer's lshift.
You can right click to blink as well.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I blink with right click, and recall with left shift.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

novaSphere posted:

Incidentally, EMP now hacks health packs in LoS, which is cool I guess :confused:

It always has

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'll do a Mei writeup too if you kids want.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

The game doesn't tell you how a lot of things work in detail, like lucio's wallriding for instance.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

CaptainScraps posted:

I don't think "You have become Death, destroyer of worlds also land your right-clicks " needs a write-up???

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Doublepost

1stGear fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 27, 2016

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Two nights ago I dreamt I was chased by a small, shadowy Mei. It was pure horror.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Guide to Mei:
--have some extra tea time in the spawn room! Wall your team in there so they can enjoy it with you.
--Is there a big brawl and some of your team are charging in from respawn with ults? Better wall them back to keep em from wasting it, how useful is a Sound Barrier gonna be anyway?
--Who cares if Phara's on your team? ALWAYS keep a wall between her and the targets.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

I was bored so i made this glib and handy flowchart, for every pubbie symmetra I run into that hasn't figured this out yet

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

CaptainScraps posted:

Every character deserves a write-up. That Tracer one was awesome. I'll toss them on a Wiki or create Offense/Defense/Support/Tank threads or something if we start to get enough attention, too.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

phthalocyanine posted:

I was bored so i made this glib and handy flowchart, for every pubbie symmetra I run into that hasn't figured this out yet

eloquently put

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I just played couple games as Tracer, trying to follow the write up. I spent my time hanging out harassing the back line instead of rushing in for kills and it was glorious. Didn't die once and had the entire enemy team constantly split up looking for me and looking over their shoulder. I felt like a slasher movie villain. Lol.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I wish they would put in detailed tutorials for every character instead of just Soldier 76

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

phthalocyanine posted:

So I do this thing where I main Sym to get diamond, then I drop back down to gold playing regular, balanced heroes. It took a month to peak last season, just a week this time.

You have no idea how much poo poo I got for placing the generator instead of the TP. People didn't even hunt down the gen before I hit the high 2900s.

The playerbase adapts at the speed of tectonic plates.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

I wish they would put in detailed tutorials for every character instead of just Soldier 76

Maybe if they got pros to write them but I have a sinking feeling Blizzard would want to write them themselves and they'd be full of misinformation -- if not immediately, then after a patch or two.

Like, think about how many iterations it took for suggested item/skill builds for MOBAs to become sort of useful instead of newbie traps, and that's something way more concrete and granular than "how do I play this hero well?"