Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
The Finals definitely had me wired and I thought there was no way they would've topped the Spurs Heat finals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

Is Cavs-Warriors legit turning into a great rivalry before our eyes?

I don't so much get a Lakers-Celtics vibe, but it does feel like one of those 90's ones that made the NBA great back then.

The sheer hatred between the two sides. The mind games, and the talent seems to all play into a great series of games.
It's already got to be the #2 all time for interconference rivalries. Lakers-Celtics was probably more ubiquitous in the 80's, both because they had 3 finals meetings and because they were both already the 2 premier NBA franchises who had some history beforehand (and then afterwards in the 2000's).

At this point I'd be surprised if they don't have meet again in the finals this year, and who knows how many they both could be a part of over the near future.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

euphronius posted:

Boston fan insanity make Celtics Lakers special. Tho bay area fans are rapidly approaching Boston fans.

The other thing is that the 80s were the second iteration of the Lakers/Celtics rivalry, after the 60s. I think that is a big part of why that seems to be stronger.

But yeah, if we get Cavs/dubs part 3 this year, it would officially be a great rivalry

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

The other thing is that the 80s were the second iteration of the Lakers/Celtics rivalry, after the 60s. I think that is a big part of why that seems to be stronger.

But yeah, if we get Cavs/dubs part 3 this year, it would officially be a great rivalry

Yeah .
And Magic and Bird where superstars like the league had never seen.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Spring Break My Heart posted:

It's already got to be the #2 all time for interconference rivalries. Lakers-Celtics was probably more ubiquitous in the 80's, both because they had 3 finals meetings and because they were both already the 2 premier NBA franchises who had some history beforehand (and then afterwards in the 2000's).

At this point I'd be surprised if they don't have meet again in the finals this year, and who knows how many they both could be a part of over the near future.

I don't know if you can compare it to Lakers-Celtics...yet

Only Because that rivalry has an incredible amount of history around it. The franchises themselves are two of the most storied in all of sports.

I LOVE the Cavs, but they didn't reach their first NBA Finals until 2007, and then didn't win it until 2016. I mean they've had great players, good teams, and have had a fairly loyal fanbase, but they're really just now in the "club" so to speak.

This rivalry that's occurring right now is incredible though.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Papercut posted:

Because Lakers fans are really reasonable, savvy sports fans?!?

yeah

in other news, the latest clippers lost season officially began last night

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

euphronius posted:

That's a good question actually . Who is the first to make the playoffs from those three. Lots of unknowns on all those teams.

The Timberwolves could theoretically make it this year with a lot of luck (~1 in 15 shot right now). Lakers could with a TON of luck (~1 in 50 shot). 76ers could probably do it if Ben Simmons appears soon and immediately proves himself to be the greatest NBA player ever at the ripe age of twenty.

If that's real $$$ that seems like a bad idea.

Metapod posted:

Did you guys actually think steph would keep his historic shooting up?

I thought it was unlikely. It was the greatest overall shooting season by nearly every measurement.

Dejan Bimble posted:

There are so many cases when a guy needs to hang for a second to have a safe landing that it's very reasonable to allow it. I think we have the forging technology in 2016 to make a rim assembly that won't bend under the force of a big man dunk and rim hang

With the current NBA rims/backboards you'd need a lot of really heavy NBA guys to hang on them to do any damage.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Papercut posted:

Because Lakers fans are really reasonable, savvy sports fans?!?

I resemble that :mad:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

chunkles posted:

The Finals definitely had me wired and I thought there was no way they would've topped the Spurs Heat finals

They unfolded in slow motion for me, like a car accident, first Steph Curry scores a bunch of points without driving to the basket, then Bogut limps around like swamp thing, then Draymond kicks the balls, and in game 7 the Warriors shrivel, except Draymond Green who outplays Lebron, and they lose the game.

In hindsight, Festus Ezeli's knees must have been really hosed up

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cavs-Warriors is a rivalry by default cause there aren't any other good rivalry stories going on right now.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

Cavs-Warriors is a rivalry by default cause there aren't any other good rivalry stories going on right now.
That's idiotic.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Away all Goats posted:

And also because they've played multiple Finals series and regular season games that were good and memorable

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Yeah it'd be nicer if Clippers were better contenders/stayed healthy but here we are

Raptors could have a nice rivalry with the Cavs if they could actually challenge them

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 27, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
My favorite mini and kaput rivalries are Nets Raptors and Nets Heat

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Tae posted:

The warriors have higher offensive efficiency and a tick better defensively than last year

yes, neutered mvp +mvp is better than mvp +Barnes in the stats universe.

but people weren't looking for untrue reasons explain the eye test like this last year, gsw lost something, and they want to try to explain. they focus on unimportant obvious bs because they are sycophants,they don't want to admit teamwork is bs. free steph.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

From a personal standpoint?

I saw Cavs-Pistons, Cavs-Bulls, Cavs-Celtics and Cavs-Wizard all were rivalries during LeBron's first go around.

Then LeBron kinda killed all but one (Celtics.) with his play.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

If you can't appreciate boogie vs Myers Leonard can you appreciate life?

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Russ vs The Universe is my current favorite basketball rivalry

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Wizards vs. cavs was a good rivalry when Lebron first joined the league

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The moment I knew I loved lebron was game 6 of the 2006 series against the wiz when he went over and quietly whispered in Gilbert Arenas' ear that if he missed those free throws, the game was over

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NO58NRNxQ4Y

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I remember when the clippers and grizzlies faced each other in the playoffs like 3 times in a row

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The best part of Lebrons younger years is he managed to convince the league that Mike Brown was a good coach

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Pistons-Pacers was the one true rivalry and Rick Carlisle was on both sides of it

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Henchman of Santa posted:

Pistons-Pacers was the one true rivalry and Rick Carlisle was on both sides of it

I always wonder what would have happened had Dumars not fired Carlisle. The word is that players get really tired of Carlisle, maybe they wouldn't have come together so quickly with Sheed in the championship year. I feel like they could have done more, I don't think Carlisle would have made the same mistakes against the Spurs that Brown did, and I know he would have been better than Flip Saunders, although they had perfect personnell with Antonio McDyess and Chris Webber, to run that ancient elbow based Flip offense

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They could have also drafted Melo, Bosh or Dwyane Wade.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Femur posted:

yes, neutered mvp +mvp is better than mvp +Barnes in the stats universe.

but people weren't looking for untrue reasons explain the eye test like this last year, gsw lost something, and they want to try to explain. they focus on unimportant obvious bs because they are sycophants,they don't want to admit teamwork is bs. free steph.

Gonna quote this so I can reread it and see if it makes any sense later

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Away all Goats posted:

When they meet again in the NBA finals the this year it'll be a Great thing and the year after that it becomes like an All-Time Great thing. It's already broken viewing records. It's the Best Player Ever (probably) vs. The Greatest Team of all time. It's the best rivalry right now because it makes the other ones seem like minor disagreements over small stakes.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

euphronius posted:

I don't wonder about that, because Darko was so widely considered the second best player in the draft, there wasn't any question, I don't think it would have gone any other way unless we imported today's scouting infrastructure into the past or he had a traumatic injury pre draft

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

EvanTH posted:

Gonna quote this so I can reread it and see if it makes any sense later

It means people are wondering why GSW don't blow out the cavs like they did last year, eye test.

they look to stats, rebounds, players missing, bogut, obvious insignificant bs.

the difference was the bs play of one mr Curry, who is defering to a lesser in durant. durant looks like he is a better nba player, but curry is the dude breaking the game because, his skills the abnormally, the cheat code. stop deferring to the scrub durant.

Femur fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 27, 2016

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

euphronius posted:

Maybe a different coach wouldn't have ruined Darko. Not saying he could have been better than the people drafted around him, just saying he might have been able to become a different player.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Maybe a different coach wouldn't have ruined Darko. Not saying he could have been better than the people drafted around him, just saying he might have been able to become a different player.

George Karl inquired into Darko's father situation

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
The Warriors are at least as good as last year and maybe a little better but it's too soon to tell. Curry is shooting worse yes, though still at an all-star level, but Durant replacing Harrison Barnes is such a huge efficiency boost and KD is taking 17 shots a game vs the 9 per game that Barnes was, taking those shots away from bench players they had last year that shot quite frequently such as Speights and Ezeli (and Livingston and Iggy are both taking one shot per game fewer this season also).

On defence yes they miss Bogut but that will only matter for certain teams in certain situations. Yesterday the Cavs ran with Love playing center in crunch time and Tristan Thompson on the bench as they came back so Bogut wouldn't have been on the floor anyway. Conversely, Durant has been an upgrade over Barnes on defence too.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Sam Dekker is cool and I don't care that he's going to take pictures clubbing with Cuban some time in the near future, keep the dunks coming

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
A painful loss for my boys but they will overcome! Go Hornets!

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Chinanu Onuaku just shot (and made) two underhanded free throws in an NBA game.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Blind Pineapple posted:

:neckbeard:

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Blind Pineapple posted:

Finding the Moreyball in all shots

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I'm 100% certain that the team that added Kevin Durant is better than the team without Kevin Durant and this years Warriors would beat last years Warriors in a freakish paradoxical battle across time EVERY time (partially because if the younger Warriors played their older selves then the older players would therefore have memory of the game that was about to be played and would easily defeat the younger one with knowledge of what mistakes were made.)

This is important to this year's Grand Basketball Narrative because it is a very comic book/videogame/anime story moment after last years finals where, seemingly defeated, the impossible enemy (72-10) rises from the ashes in an even more powerful form. Can Are Hero (Lebron James) and his ragtag team of misfits prevail? Can't wait for the finals.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I just had it from an anonymous inside source that Steph Curry is on beta blockers, EPO and steroids but I want everyone to know I do not consider it cheating on his part. I also believe he may have gone clean this year (the Chris Bosh and Mirza Teletovic pulmonary embolism scares were enough to get the players backing out of this year's round of performance enhancers) and as a result he is much happier--less dour, less intense. Good for him!

here is the picture of Earl Boykins and Yao Ming with a bit of forced perspective. Good matchup this season!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Joel Embiid and DeMarcus Cousins sexually assaulting each other on the court tonight

https://streamable.com/whbe4

• Locked thread