Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah, the art is pretty awful. When Princess Maker 2 looks better in the art department than your game then you've made some really bad choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
I wanted to make a comment about how the singer sounds like an English speaker trying to sing in Japanese but that's literally what is happening. :eng99: I guess it would be appropriate for Alice, seeing as she's from the US and living in Japan?

I agree that more budget should have been spent on the art. I am still disturbed by the gigantic heads on these people.

I'm enjoying the LP, though! It'll be interesting to see where things go. Are there any routes which are super fun?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Again, from what I recall from meeting the devs, all assets were from volunteers. Only the programmer got paid.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Like legitimately I kind of love this game, amateurish art and weird mechanics included, it's just so great that this game exists and is real.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Last time I got here, I got statblocked so I'm very excited to see how it goes!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, it seems weird that we haven't had a stat-check-or-die for two years now. I guess the tests have kind of been that?

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I guess you could see the tests as a stat block of sorts. But most of the stat blocks are in the endings. I don't know if it'll come up this time, but I know some exist. The truck is a bit of an oddity, but you can still get by without the Sports, you just don't get the best outcome.

Most of the routes in this game are really good. The tedium is in getting through the first 8 terms, over and over again. There's one particular route I don't like but we'll get to that when we get around to it.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

So, here we are. We're at the start of a route.

...We are far too successful for Loop 2.

Monday, September 3

Game: Your head still swarms with the thoughts of the vision you saw.

: More than ever!

: Great! Always good to see you excited, Goon-kun! It's our last year of high school and I'm really looking forward to it, you know? I have big plans for this year. I just know big things are going to happen.

: And it's my last year with my host family, so I'm determined to make the most of it.

I take these shots when they're going off screen so I don't need two shots, one of them before they leave and one after.

What is that she's going to be doing...? Didn't she say she had to take the chance and not hesitate at all?

Tuesday, September 4

Oh, it's just Naoko yelling at us about our low fashion. We're down to 3 Fashion, by the way.

Wednesday, September 5

As long as Rena keeps making dumb great comments, I'm going to keep noticing them.

: I don't know if I should... I need some time to think about it.

: Don't take too long, though! The last day to sign up is as close as a caterpillar and a leaf!

: Hey Goon, what're you doing here?

: I just overheard some of it.

: You're a curious little grasshopper, aren't you?

: Conservatory exhibition? What was that all about?

: Alice is busy and I have to skip away, but you can ask Kiku. She was with us when we found out about it.

: Kiku, huh? Do you know where she is?

: I just saw her outside by the garden. If you hurry, you might still be able to catch her.

: Okay, I'll try that.

I guess I will stop by the garden.

: Hello, Lorde-san.

: Hey Kiku, I was looking for you.

: Oh, is there something I could help you with?

: Rena mentioned something about a conservatory exhibition?

: Conservatory exhibition...?

: There is a signup sheet in the music store. Applicants will play before a panel of judges, and the top performers will be invited to attend the conservatory upon completion of high school. Also, the very best applicants will be given full scholarships.

Ah, Goon's only chance of entering tertiary education!

: I'm actually thinking about participating.

: Was it that obvious?

: It is alright. It is none of my business, anyway. But if you want to participate, you will need to be quick about it.

: When is the deadline?

: The evening of Septembr 17th is the deadline to sign up. The exhibition itself is in mid-October.

: That's less than two weeks from now! That's not nearly enough time to decide!

: Well, you still have over a week to think it over.

Sound important, doesn't it? We get one day of art done before another event.

Friday, September 7

: Not really...

Yeah, we did finish the Culture Festival prep but it's a waste of time in 3rd year. We won't be bothering with 3rd year prep again, I just wanted to show off the different animations for it.

: Cookies? Sure thing!

: Well? What do you guys think?

Game: You take a bit of your cookie.

: Well? How is it, Goon?

: What do you think, Kiku?

: The smell takes a little getting used to...

: Is it a bad smell?

: No, it is just...

: Unusual?

: Yes, that would be a good way to describe it.

: Hehe, but unusual things are sometimes the best!

Game: Kiku takes a hesitant bite of her cookie.

: Oh, wow...

: You like it?

Game: She takes another bite and chews thoughtfully.

It's probably Goon and his 3 Fashion at work there.

Goon may be a relative success but I was hoping to make fun of him for a lot longer.

: Naoko made cookies.

: Smells like curry.

: Exactly! They're curry cookies.

: Gross!

: Come on, just try one.

Game: Naoko gives Aya a cookie, who eats it in one bite.

: ...

: It is good, right?

: Yeah, I'm surprised! I thought it'd be disgusting.

: Heh, I guess that's true.

: You seem excited about something, Aya.

: Kiku!

: What did you do?

: I wrote this AMAZING sci-fi short story. Seriously, I think I could win the Nobel prize for this.

: You should worry about graduating before you worry about that.

: Who cares if I graduate? I might not even have time to if this story takes off!

: Well, at least you're passionate about something...

: What's the story about?

: Oh, it's about robots and things like that.

Metal Gear?

: Can I read it?

We have 9 Lit. I think we could understand Aya's work.

: Why not?

: I just don't think you'd be able to comprehend such a fantastic literary achievement.

: Kiku!

: What are you thinking of doing with the story, Aya?

: I was going to submit it to the school writing contest.

: But Rena wins that every year. She's undefeated!

That would be a grand total of 2 years. Unless this is a middle school + high school which I don't think it is.

: Hey! I'm just as good as her! I just never bothered to enter the contest before!

: All the best writing schools are already after her.

: You could still try, Aya.

: Indeed, it would not hurt to try.

: Psh, never mind! I don't care anymore.

: I hope we didn't discourage her too much...

: *sigh* I hate it when she does that. She always gives up so fast.

: That's a shame...

: *sigh* I will try talking to her about it.

We haven't seen too much of Kiku this run. She's great but she's picky.

Busy week, eh?

Wednesday, September 12

: Trucks? What trucks?

: Oh, come on! The ones from MHI, silly.

: ...Oh.

: I heard on the local news that they're starting a new research project here in Shira Oka soon. We can expect to see a lot more trucks coming and going. I'm so excited!

Are MHI trucks really that exciting?

: MHI designs and manufactures all sorts of sophisticated technology to serve the world, you know.

: Yeah, that IS cool... how do you know so much about MHI anyway?

: Well, you know, this sort of stuff interests me! I've done a lot of research about MHI in my free time.

: That's pretty cool.

: Sometimes I wish I could go down there and see what they're up to with my own eyes! But I inquired with them once, and they said they don't allow any visitors...

: That's too bad...

Minion #1 is okay and can stick around. I might tell Aya to check it out though.

: Hmm, I don't think that would be a good idea...

: Aww, why not?

: Well... that would be trespassing, which is illegal.

: Oh.

: Er... it's probably not a good idea.

: Fine, fine, maybe I shouldn't. I can find out plenty about them online these days anyway. Not quite as good as actually being there, but close enough, I suppose.

: Yeah, good idea.

Good to stop Minion #1 from doing something stupid. We just get some more Art done.

Monday, September 17

Last day to sign up. I guess there's nothing to lose, but I'll have to practice a lot. What should I do?

Game: You continue to ponder the matter as you walk down the hall. Suddenly, you hear energetic violin music fill the hallway.

What was that?

Hmm, is Alice practicing?

You know... I bet Alice is working really hard on this. Maybe I should at least try...

I should sign up.

Game: She looks really excited to see you.

: Teehee, not at all! What are you doing here, Goon-kun? Have you come to practice, too?

: Not today. I've been thinking of signing up for that conservatory exhibition, though.

: Oh, really? That's terrific, Goon-kun!

: You think so?

: Yeah, absolutely!

: I feel the same way. Just listening to you practice inspired me to sign up.

: Aww, you're the sweetest, Goon-kun! You know, I'm heading down to the music store after school. I'll sign you up for the audition while I'm there!

: Oh, really?

: Yeah, it's no problem!

We're good at music so this shouldn't be too much of a travesty.

Friday, September 21

We joined on Monday, this is Friday. That ain't the next day.

Game: Unfortunately, your practice session is not going very well. The violin screeches painfully with almost every draw of the bow.

: Aya?

: It sounds like you just ran over a cat's tail, Lorde-san. Are you playing that violin or murdering it?

: I'm practising for a conservatory exhibition...

Behold, the one person dumber than Goon.

...I don't think I'll be able to justify razzing on Goon after this run. It makes me sad.

: Conservatories are music schools. You're thinking of convents.

: Psh, never mind. Anyway, do you really think you'll get into a music school playing like that?

: If it goes on like this, I think I might just end up making a fool of myself.

: I'll say.

: I don't know... maybe I should just drop out of the audition. Think I should do that?

: Dunno. Not my problem.

: Hmm, you're probably right. Er, thanks, Aya.

: Huh? Oh, whatever.

Monday, September 24

These events for the routes seem to fall on fixed dates.

Game: You give it your best try, but it was still quite disappointing. Packing up your things, you decide to head to the music store to withdraw your name from the signup list.

don't listen to aya, drat it

: *sigh*

Game: Suddenly, someone taps you on the shoulder from behind.

: Alice?

: Hey, what a coincidence.

: I'm going to the music store, to take my name off the signup list.

: What?! Goon-kun, we have to do this together! It'll be so much fun!

: Ooh, that would be great!

: Well, I suppose so...

: YAY!

: I can't wait to get started!

: So, what are you guys up to?

: Actually, we're looking for sheet music, too.

I don't know how we know this, but okay.

: Let's see... you want something vibrant, sparkling, and dreamy, right?

: Goon, that was exactly what I was thinking! How did you know?!

: Probably because Goon-kun's looking for the same thing! Teehee!

: Hehe, yep.

: Come on, let's go see what we can find.

: Yeah, let's get started.

Game: After many minutes of rifling through papers, Alice stops to study an ancient-looking piece of paper with tattered edges.

: Whoa... what's this...?

Game: She takes it to the front of the room, to study it more carefully in better lighting.

Game: She stares at the music for a few moments without saying a word.

No, that's not a real composer. I looked him up and Google showed me Panama instead.

: The old composer?

...Goon, how do you know that? We haven't seen that event yet. You shouldn't be able to recognise him.

The endings can be a little weird with Goon knowing things he shouldn't.

: That's a great find.

Game: She studies it for a few more moments, as if trying to hum the melody in her head.

: ...It's amazing! Absolutely perfect!!!

: Let me see, let me see!

: With this music, I'm guaranteed to impress the judges!

: Teehee! You can't even read sheet music, Rena. How could you even tell?

: I just... don't like it...

: Let's go. I wanna show my violin teacher what I found!

I guess she was so excited about her piece that she forgot to help me find one...

: Bye-bye!

Game: With Alice and Rena gone, you browse through the music archive yourself until you find a suitable piece.

Yeah, there's some XP in the endings. So each ending will become easier than the next. Unless Satsuko moves up the grade requirements.

Friday, September 28

Forgot about this, even though Hiroshi mentioned it.

Game: As you enter the gym, you notice Alice and Naoko standing to the side.

: Oh, hi Naoko. Hello, Alice.

: Hey, Goon-kun...

: Is everything okay?

: Alice is annoyed because Hiroshi came back for the sports festival.

: Maybe he's lonely in college and wants to see his old friends again.

: Psh. More like he needs to go back to high school to show off because he can't do it in college. Can you believe he was spouting some nonsense about defending his title or something?

: By the way, I haven't seen Rena at all today. I hope she's okay...

: I haven't seen her around, either...

: I don't think she's here today. She told me she's been feeling sick lately, especially after working on a science project with Yui.

: That's too bad...

: Oh dear... maybe I'll stop by after school with some homemade chicken soup.

: I'm sure she would appreciate that.

: Er... what do you say we go get ready for the first event? It'll probably get you in a better mood.

: Yeah, let's go get ready so I can beat Hiroshi in the three-legged race!

: Bye!

There's a little fade to black and then we're back.

: The three-legged race, I think.

: So who's going to be your partner?

: Looks like I'm with you today.

: Well, I better go find out who's my partner. Mark my words, you guys are gonna lose!

Game: A voice comes over the loudspeaker, announcing the beginning of the three-legged race.

: Oh... we better go get ready, huh?

: Don't worry, just try your best.

: I'll try...

The three-legged race is actually a stat check. You don't need to succeed to continue on, it's just to upstage Hiroshi. And to be a good leader for Minion #2 over here.

Usually it's for very sporty Goon's or Goon's who are in the last few loops. In Loop 2, we're probably not going to win.

Game: But what's this? Lorde Goon and Ogawa Kazuki are charging toward the front! They're neck and neck... but now Sakuragi Hiroshi and Arakawa Yui are falling behind as Lorde Goon and Ogawa Kazuki take the lead!

wait what the hell

goon stop being good

how can i show the misery of shira oka if you succeed at first

: Yes, good race. I am not even upset that I lost.

Well, it's nice to get the XP. But jeez, I need to check our Sports.

: Oh, you're just sore that you lost, Hiroshi!

:allears:

: I at LEAST expected to beat Kazuki of all people. Geez.

: You are so full of good sportmanship, Hiroshi.

: Now, don't you start! I only lost because I got paired up with that meek girl! Argh! I should've just picked her up and carried her to the finish line.

: That would be cheating. Besides, Kazuki isn't the most athletic boy in school and he and Goon-kun still won! Heh, that was exciting, though!

: Yes, congratulations, Kazuki. You should be proud.

: Whatever.

Quick fade and then we're over there.

: Thanks.

: And Kazuki even won thanks to you!

: Yeah, even the little guy got some good out of this thanks to you.

: That's good.

: Thanks for being so sweet to Kazuki, Goon!

Time to check that Sports stat...

Oh.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I think I went through 5-6 loops before I got an ending.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
It's always nice to discover you're also really good at secondary skills, between rushing to meet your intended goals while failing miserably in where you cant afford to spend any time.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

What do our stats look like right now? Can we afford to stop being late to dates yet?

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

We're real good at Art and Sports but I have fun imagining what 3 Fashion looks like. Perhaps Goon is simply wearing a trash bag instead of clothes.

I don't think we need to worry about failing Science but just in case.

Monday, October 1

: Yes, I did.

: Cool! I'd love to hear what your piece sounds like!

: Are you happy with what you picked?

: Oh Goon-kun, I've never heard such a moving piece of music. I feel like this piece was written for me, you know?

: Hehe, maybe it was written for you...

: I would love to hear yours, too.

We get some more science done.

Thursday, October 4

: Hey Goon-kun, thanks for coming. Have you been practising a lot?

: Somewhat.

: Come on, Goon-kun! You have to take this seriously if you want to do well at the audition!

: Sorry...

: That's more like it. Let's both try our best, okay?

: Okay.

: Okay, well, let's see what you've got.

: Here goes...

I don't know if there's a way to embed mp3's without using something like tindeck. But just click on that and you can hear the song.

: Hey, not bad! A little more practice and I might have to consider you a real challenger. You'd better not outdo me, though! I really want that spot in the conservatory.

: Heh, you'll do a lot better than me.

: It does?

: Just look at it. How long have you had it for?

: I guess you're right. It's pretty old.

Hmm, maybe a new bow will improve my performance.

: Well, I should get going. I think I'm going to hold off on debuting my piece to you, if you don't mind.

: Bye...

Game: You practice halfheartedly on your own for a while longer, but you feel unmotivated. Suddenly, you hear someone running and shouting down the hallway. You walk to the door, carrying your violin and bow, and poke your head out.

Ack!

Game: The bow goes flying out of your hand, and you hear a sickening crunch as Suzu stumbles and steps on it.

: I'm... sorry.

Game: Suddenly she notices your bow near her foot.

: Hey, what's this?

: Well, it WAS a violin bow...

: And now it's not, and it's all my fault! I'm so sorry!

: It's fine. I was about to buy a new one anyway.

: A new one?

: Really?

: Yeah, I'll make it up to you for breaking your bow, teehee! Don't bother getting a new bow. Just stop by the bike shop this weekend, okay?

Let's give Minion #1 the benefit of the doubt.

Saturday, October 6

Game: However, knowing Suzu's inventions, you wonder about what she has done...

: Hey, Lorde! You got here just in time.

: For what?

: Your new bow, silly! I just finished it. Try it out!

He plays that song again. Click this picture if you want to listen to it again.

Game: The most fluid and melodic sound you have ever made emerges from your violin.

Yes, it's the same song.

: It looks weird, but it sounds incredible!

: I know! Isn't it great? The hair is made of a special material I invented myself. It's a secret, though.

No, I don't know what's it made out of. I don't believe we ever get an answer.

: It sounds so good! It'll definitely give me an edge at the exhibition.

: Glad to be of service! I just hope it fits in your violin case, teehee.

: I'm sure I can figure something out.

: Excellent! But now I have to get back to work. I have a hundred more inventions to come up with today!

Game: As you walk home, you imagine the wild applause at the end of your amazing performance.

With this new bow, I might just have a chance now...

: Kyaa!

: Whoa, sorry! Are you alright, Rena?

: I'm really sorry. I was distracted.

: Are you alright, Rena?

: I'm fine.

: You got lucky this time, pal. Be more careful next time, will ya? Come on, Rena. Let's get out of here.

: Ah, my new bow! I'm so relieved that it survived.

Game: You notice energy surging from the bow as Rena touches it.

: Wow, what was that?

: That's a very special bow you have there! You should take better care of it.

: What do you mean?

: I knew there was something wrong with that piece she picked out. There's something about how it sounds...

: She's probably just feeling a lot of pressure to perform well.

: I hope that's all it is.

: Hey Rena, you coming or not?

: Coming!

We hadn't done any work over the weekend. So it looks like getting the new violin gave us +4 Music. Nice!

Monday, October 8

: Let's try our best again today, okay?

: You can count on me!

: I'll play first this time, okay?

You can click that to hear Alice's song. It's quite different to Goon's song.

Game: She finishes the song with a grand flourish and returns to her seat.

: Wow...

: Here I go...

Game: You pick up your violin and Suzu's bow, and get up to play. She looks surprised for a moment when she sees your bow, but remains silent.

Click to hear Goon's song, if you want. I was getting pretty tired of the song at this point, since you have to just sit and wait for it to finish before continuing.

If you don't feel like listening to it, yes, that is the same song that Goon's been playing for this update.

: Huh?

: Someone of such superior talent such as myself should never be forced to waste time listening to trash like this.

: Oh, come on, it wasn't THAT bad, was it?

I like Alice's song more but Goon's song is alright. The music in this game is alright, I just need to figure out a way to dump it.

: Aren't you being a bit harsh?

: Nonsense. I meant every word of what I said.

: I think it's about time I start heading home.

That sure was something, huh?

Oh no, she killed Goon's self-confidence!

Sunday, October 14

: Hello, Lorde-san. Good luck out there tonight.

: Oh Kiku, you came.

: Of course. I have come to support you and Alice.

: Thank you, Kiku.

: You came to support us too, Suzu?

: Of coursse! I had to come to see how my bow performs in action!

Hah, my audio recordings are better than that.

: Wow... sounds... interesting.

: It is! The recordings are engraved into the side of these rocks here. Now all I have to figure out is how to create a device to read the recordings off of them afterwards...

: Hmm, I wonder where Alice is...

: I saw her behind the stage a while ago. She seemed very touchy, so I did not speak with her long. I hope the pressure does not get to her so much that it affects her performance.

: Yeah, now that you mention it, she was really uptight last week when I practised with her.

: Anyway, should you not get going? It appears that you are next to perform.

: Do your best, Lorde!

: Thanks.

Well, it's show time...

Game: After they announce your name, you take your place on the stage and play the piece that you practised.

Click to hear goonsong.mp3. It hasn't changed yet and I don't recall it ever changing.

: That was a very solid performance, Lorde-san.

: I hope it was good enough.

: What is important that you tried your best, and you did not disappoint the crowd.

I don't think our Art really comes into play here. I guess you could possibly fail if your Art is low but I've never seen that happen.

: That's true.

: Hey, Alice is up next! Let's go take our seats!

: Good idea.

Click for Alice's song. It sort of sounds like the violin is crying but I hear that in a lot of violin stuff.

Game: You suddenly feel a chill run down your spine.

Something doesn't feel right here.

Game: You look around and the rest of the audience seem to be sharing your discomfort.

: I don't think so... Look at Alice! Something seems to be happening to her!

: There appears to be a dark cloud around her.

: What's happening to her?

: The structural integrity of this building is decaying quickly. Our best course of action would be to leave immediately.

: Well, everyone else is abandoning the building. If we stay here any longer, our chances of survival are very slim.

: What's going on? Could it be that Rena was right about the music after all?

: ... Music?

: This is hardly the appropriate time to be talking about music.

: Yeah, come on, Lorde, help me carry my stuff out of here.

: No, you don't understand! Maybe Alice's music is causing the building to collapse!

: Do you realise how illogical that assertion sounds right now? Sound at this frequency and intensity just doesn't crumble buildings.

: Trust me! Rena mentioned there was something odd about the sheet music.

: Exactly!

How long have they been arguing for...?

: We have to stop the music and save Alice!

This ticked down really fast. So I ended up taking this incorrect option. Let's check this for a little bit, I have a save on Saturday.

: This is no time for frivolity!

: Hey, it was just an idea, okay?!

: I am getting out of here while I still can. We have wasted enough time standing here idly.

: That's the spirit!

Game: Kiku dashes toward the exit as you run toward the stage where Alice is playing. The ominous aura around her seems to reach out to you, pulling you into its deadly embrace.

: Here goes nothing!

Game: Alice is in a complete trance, focused on nothing but her music. She seems completely oblivious to the fact that you have joined her onstage.

...Good sign?

Game: You inch forward with your stick extended, apprehensive about what might actually happen when you make contact.

: Gaah!

Game: Alice's dark aura engulfs your body. You feel yourself floating in thin air as you lose your senses one by one. In the end, you are left with nothing but your hearing as the haunting music sears your brain and leaves no room for coherent thought.

No, it wasn't a good sign.

We're still alive, but let's go back and do that right.

I keep very frequent saves, especially in these endings. One wrong choice can mean the end of it. Then you have to do that first 8 terms all over again...

Or you could load an old save.

We're back here now.

: Suzu, do you have your tennis ball launcher with you?

: The rocks, Suzu! Use the rocks!

...That seems a little risky, but okay.

: But... all my recordings are on these rocks!

: Suzu, it's important!

: Okay, okay! I'm on it!

: Now! Shoot!

: I got it!

Game: One of the collapsing piano pieces slams into Alice's shoulder, knocking her to the floor.

: What... is that?

: Oh no, Alice looks unconscious! Maybe we overdid it?

: You two, we must leave NOW! This place looks like it might collapse any minute!

Good news.

Game: After letting a paramedic treat the minor injuries you sustained while leaving the building, you head home, feeling completely drained.

This feels pretty familiar. I think we're on the right track.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Huh.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Well, that sure was a jarringly abrupt tone change from the rest of the game up to this point.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I'll just state it now - all the endings are insanely weird.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I sort of got from people's winkwink nudgenudge that there would be some supernatural elements in this game but earthquake-causing music was a new one.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Ok, first an angel, and now a vengeful ghost. There's a bit of a tonal shift going on here. I guess we were attacked by demons or something in the intro, but this supernatural stuff is really sporadic.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
It's a good thing you are pals with Suzu. Maybe next they can help you out with a proton pack made out of protein shake cans.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
They really like TM3

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

I will forgive this game pretty much anything just for this line.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

We're actually getting pretty close to 100 Art and Sports. May try for it.

10 XP required to get the perk that'll probably stop us from being late to dates. Just need 4 more XP.

Friday, October 19

Game: You can't seem to concentrate on it, though.

How do they expect me to do this, with everything that's been happening lately?!

With that thing coming out of Alice, and the auditorium collapsing...

That was just a pop quiz, not a test he'd forgotten.

Monday, October 22

: Thanks for saving my life during the... earthquake...

: Don't mention it. I'm just glad that you're okay.

: Somewhat...

: It's okay. I know you weren't yourself.

: It's all my fault, though. People got hurt because I insisted on playing that piece, even after Rena warned me about it.

: You really had no way of knowing what would happen.

: People are saying the building collapsed because of an earthquake, but we know the truth.

: Don't be so hard on yourself! You just need to ease back into things slowly.

: *sigh* I don't know...

: We destroyed whatever was possessing you. So don't worry anymore.

Friday, October 26

I've never heard of anyone getting sent back for failing academically after a route begins.

We're getting pretty close to that 100 Art.

Monday, October 29

: Uh... it's a bit complicated.

: She used to practice in the music room in the evenings, and sometimes I could hear it from the machine shop. I haven't heard any music lately, though.

: Well, she's been feeling a bit depressed lately...

: I know how that can be. Everyone mocks me so much that I often tend to be...um...down myself. It IS a shame to see her like that, though. She's normally so cheerful and determined.

: She'll probably start playing again once she feels better.

I wonder why he seems so affected by this...

It's because Kazuki's a nice guy who didn't get enough screen time this run. :smith:

Friday, November 2

: Rena, is something wrong? You look worried.

Rena knows about ghosts. Why not bring her in?

: Well...

: Something HAS been up...

: Aha! I knew it.

: Yeah...

: I was possessed by some sort of evil spirit...

: Did it have to do with that piece you were playing?

: ...Yeah, I think so.

: I thought so.

Game: She nods thoughtfully.

This really is going the way of Serika's route from Tokimeki 3.

: We should be careful then.

: You bet! I'll be beside you all the way, too.

: Thanks for the support... you're going to help us even though I ignored you?

They really are good friends.

Friday, November 9

: Oh, hi Goon-chan.

: I was talking to Kazuki the other day, and he mentioned that he hasn't heard you playing the music room lately.

: Oh yeah, I've given up on that.

: Given up?

: Oh come on! That's all in your head! I bet you can still play wonderfully!

Eesh. I usually don't like the "it's all in your head, it doesn't matter" kind of line.

: I don't know...

: I know you can do it!

: You seem very certain of it.

: I am. How about we got to the music room so you can play for me and show me I'm right?

: Well... I guess it's worth a shot.

: That's the spirit. Come on, let's go!

Game: You and Alice go to the school music room so she can try her violin again. You cross her fingers and hope that she is successful so she can break out of her depression.

: I'm certain. Come on, give it your best!

: Okay, here goes nothing!

Click the image to hear how that comes out.

: Don't worry. It's only natural after a period of time away from your instrument.

: Thanks for the encouragement, Goon-chan, but it's obvious I can't do this anymore... It's no use.

Game: Before you can anything, Alice bolts out of the room.

: Wait, Alice!

Too late, she's gone...

Game: On your way home, you notice something disturbing.

Who did this...? There's graffiti on all the walls. We've never had this kind of problem in Shira Oka before...

Interesting.

Monday, November 12

: ...and the whole garage door was also covered in graffiti.

: Hello, Lorde-san. Would you care to join us?

: Vandalized?

: Yeah, they spray-painted the entire outside of my house. Not even the trees were spared. Why would anyone do that?! That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of! We called the police, but found out that my house wasn't the first one hit, or the last. Seems like there's been reports of vandalism all over town lately.

Now that ain't cool.

: Wow, that's scary...

: What is this place coming to?

: Do you know anything about this, Lorde-san?

: Not really...

: Stupid kids with nothing better to do! That's what happening! If I get my hands on one of 'em I'm gonna tear 'em apart!!!

: Maybe you should do something about this, Goon.

: Like what?

I'm down with being Batman.

: Wa...wait a minute.

: YOU came up with that, dummy.

: Oh, right! Teehee, then I'm the smart double-fudge minty chocolate chip cookie!

: ...Huh?

: That's my favorite kind of cookie.

: When you find them, call me so I can help you kick their asses!

Goon, I am so proud of you right now.

: Is that not what the police is for?

: Those bastards are going to pay!

: I'm feeling much safer already.

: We're with you all the way Goon!

Hmm?

Nice, 100 Art. We won't stay there long and you only get the bonus XP for hitting 100 in Art once, but this is still very much appreciated.

Time to become buff so we can stalk the streets at night.

Monday, November 19

: Hey, Kazuki. Is something wrong?

Vandalising Aya's house is one thing, but Kazuki's? That's just terrible.

: Wow, your house, too?

: Yeah. Thing just keep getting worse and worse. I'm worried about Naoko's safety, with these creeps on the loose.

: She should be fine as long as she avoids going out at night.

Poor guy. But this does feel like we're moving to the final act.

100 Sports. We're probably not going to hit this again until we're into a late loop. Unless we dump another stat next run, but that has felt a little restricting this loop.

Monday, November 26

: Where did you hear that from?

: Aya and Rena have been telling everyone around school!

: Oh boy...

: You shouldn't go on patrol unarmed. I'll whip something up for you, okay?

Oh. This bodes well.

: Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Friday, November 30

: ...Oh, my! Really?!

: Hey, what's the commotion?

: Are you alright, Naoko?

: I'm fine, dear. I managed to run away before he could get to me. I wasn't hurt or anything. But Kazuki seems to be very angry about it.

Hmm...

: Teehee, I really don't know... I was so scared I just ran straight home and didn't look back.

: Well, I'm glad you're okay.

: Something's got to be done about this.

: Oh, Lorde...

: Yeah?

: You'll be out patrolling the streets in no time with it.

This is going to be great.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Still hoping for a proton pack built by Suzu

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

What would be better to pick up, Determined or Charmed? It doesn't seem like a lot more dates are in the cards, so maybe we should prep for the next route!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, what, is this one advantage of being a loser in high school? Don't get dragged out on the streets to be cut-price Batman?

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I'd say determined is stronger. It's a lot easier to get people to warm up to you with a good date.

Next update might take a bit. Gotta get some more audio out of the video and upload a bit of it.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Welcome back to DO4M. Last time we lost all our weapons, so we need to grab some new weapons.

Friday, December 7

Things have been getting crazy lately. Alice has just been getting worse, and Naoko got attacked.

Exams are never really too fancy.

Monday, December 10

: Oh, hi Lorde. Suzu mentioned you'd be stopping by.

: Yes, I came to pick up the weapon you guys made for me.

...I'm not too sure whether that's a good or bad sign.

: You should come out with me to patrol the town.

: Nah, I'd just get in the way.

: You should come with me. It'll make you look like a hero.

: I don't want to look like something I'm not!

: Anyway, go on in. Suzu's expecting you.

: Sorry I'm late. I was talking to Kazuki outside.

: No problem. Let me go get your new weapon.

Game: You hear loud clanking noises coming from the other room.

: Oof... here it is! What do you think?

...Nice.

: Wow, that thing is huge! Couldn't you make me something more... portable?

Game: She leans it against the table.

: Looks more like a giant grenade-launcher to me...

: Fine, I'll take it.

: YAY! You wont be disappointed, I promise!

Hmm.

That went well enough. Now we have a grenade launcher. Now we need to kill the demons

Friday, December 14

Short event, eh? We got our marks, I'll show those off in a bit.

Saturday, December 15

: Are we all ready to go hunt some baddies?

: Shouldn't we have a plan or something? I don't think just going out there and roaming around will do us any good.

: A plan, huh? Let me think...

: Well, let's hear it then...

I better come up with something good...

Game: You blurt out the first plan that pops into your mind. The others seem slightly skeptical.

No prompt, they just jump there.

: We send Rena out ahead as bait, while we hide in the shadows and wait. Then when the hoodlums show up, we jump out and ambush them. Is that the plan?

: Yes.

: What do you think, Suzu?

: I guess if Suzu likes it, then I'm fine with it.

: Fair enough. At least we have a plan now.

: Two weeks it is, then.

: Yay!

Why is she so happy? Does she realise what she is getting into?

Does ANYONE here realise what we are getting into?

Monday, December 17

: Oh, hi Goon-kun.

: You don't look so happy. Are you okay?

: I can't lie. Playing music was such a vital part of my life. It's not easy to keep a positive attitude after losing something like that...

: Maybe you need something to take your mind off your problems for a while.

: I don't know...

Goon, you have interesting taste in dates.

: Hunting... hoodlums?

: Yeah, we plan to nab those guys vandalising the town lately, and attacking people at night.

: Well... I guess it'd be a way to repay everyone for all the hurt I've caused...

: And take your mind off your own problems at the same time.

: Okay, I'll do it!

: You're looking better already.

Any work on Art/Music or Sports is going to run into the cap and then just decay back to where we are. Science doesn't matter and the rest is beyond saving now. It doesn't really matter what we do now.

So let's dress up for when we go demonvandal-hunting!

Friday, December 21

Game: You finish up as quickly as you can manage so that you can get out and prepare.

I guess Alice will be accompanying us on the hunt now.

It's so surreal. Everything in my vision has been coming true so far.

Not bad. An A+ is 100% on that exam.

Sunday, December 23

: Yep. We're just waiting for Rena to show up.

: I hope she didn't chicken out at the last minute.

: Hey guys! Sorry I'm late!

: Hiroshi-senpai?

: You guys decide to use my sister as vandal bait and expect me to just let you go with it?

: I thought this was supposed to be a secret.

: Hehe, sorry, guys. Hiroshi asked me why I was going out at night and I ended up telling him by accident...

: Change of plans. You guys want to catch these vandals so bad, we'll go after them. But I'm staying close to Rena, to make sure you guys don't get her into any more trouble.

: Well, I guess we could split up into teams and explore the area.

: That sounds like a good idea.

: Keep your cell phones on. We'll meet back here in two hours.

: Fair enough.

: If anyone sees anything unusual, just contact the other groups.

: I guess it's just you and me now, Goon-kun.

: Yeah.

Game: You pick up Suzu's weapon and rest it on your shoulder.

: You sure you want to carry that thing around the whole time? Looks like it weighs a ton...

: Yes, Suzu made it for me. It's for our protection.

: Well, better safe than sorry...

Game: You and Alice wanders the streets for over an hour, but do not notice anything out of the ordinary.

: I don't think we're going to find anything tonight, Goon-kun...

: Yeah, things do seem pretty calm around here.

Game: Suddenly, she stops walking.

: Huh? Hey, what's that over there?

Game: You notice two shadowy figures spray-painting the side of a building.

:allears:

Game: The two turned around, and Alice gasps. Their skin has a greenish tint and they stare at you with vacant eyes.

Are those... zombies?!

: Oh man, what do we do now?

: Hold on, just a moment!

Game: A barrage of fiery metal shrapnel bursts out, spraying both zombies in the head and shoulders. They keel over and become still.

: Whew...

: Awesome! I can't believe that actually worked...

Game: She looks over the graffiti, and sighs.

: Well... looks like we're in some real trouble now, Goon-kun. Let's go back and see what the others have discovered.

I think that's the last point of XP we needed for Determined.

: Those vandals are zombies!

: Yeah, we saw some too. How exciting!

: EXCITING? Are you crazy, Rena? We almost got attacked!

: Don't be silly, big brother! We got to witness something amazing!

: We saw some too...

: So what do we do about all of this?

5 characters on screen at once does not work too well in this system.

: I'm just... uh, well... I wonder...

: What is it, Kazuki?

: I, uh... I don't know if we need some many people out on patrol... It might, um, make them notice us more easily...

: So you're saying we might scare them off.

: Um... something like that.

: Hmm, okay.

: Ooh... I'll go with you, Goon-kun! This is personal now. Just you watch!

Tuesday, December 25

Hunting zombies on your Christmas date?

That's one way to spend a day, I suppose.

: Yeah.

: Then let's start looking for them...

Game: You and Alice start walking down the street together.

: Goon-kun! Look! There's a couple over there!

Game: Across the street, three zombies are plodding along the sidewalk away from you. Farther down the street, you see more zombies heading in the same direction.

: Hmm, where are they all going?

: They all seem to be going to the same place.

: Come on! Let's follow them.

: Alright.

Game: Eventually, they end up at the graveyard. You trail behind them, watching closely.

Click that. You might recognise that song.

Game: Familiar music begins to fill the air. The zombies arrange themselves into rows, swaying in time with the music.

: Alice, isn't that your song?

Game: You glance at Alice. She has a distant look in her eyes and does not respond to your question.

: Alice, come on!

: ...Huh? What happened?

: That song started playing and you started getting all weird.

: Goon-kun, this is getting even more serious than it was before. We need to get everyone together to talk about it.

: Alright...

: Shh! This must be very important.

: You bet it is.

: What is it?

: The zombies are all going to the graveyard every night.

: They seem attracted to that same music that Alice had been playing.

: We should spend some time preparing first.

: Agreed. That seems like the best line of action.

: We're as prepared as we'll ever be! Come on, we should just charge in and get them.

I don't know, Suzu might decide to make and bring a tank along.

: You're so impulsive. What if we do that and then the zombies get us, huh?

: So we should spend a few days to prepare?

: Yep! I think that's the plan.

We get to fight more zombies? Neat.

Saturday, December 29

: There's nothing to be scared of as long as we have each other.

: You're right! We can do it together!

: That's the spirit!

: Where is everyone else, though? I thought they were supposed to be here by now!

Click for song.

: Calm down, Alice. We'll be okay.

: IEEE!!!

: That was Rena! Is she in trouble? Come on, we have to find her!

Alice runs off while saying this. I don't think I've seen that too often in this game.

: Hey, wait up!

Game: The two of you spread out to look for where the scream came from.

: Rena! Hiroshi! Are you guys okay?

: Does it LOOK like we're okay?!

Game: You look around and see more and more zombies closing in on you.

: Got it!

Goodbye, Hiroshi. We will remember you.

: Hiroshi!

: Come on Rena! Let's go!

Game: You take Rena's hand and run with the others.

: There you guys are! Rena, isn't Hiroshi with you?

: Come on, we have to keep moving!

Game: More and more zombies approach your group from all directions.

: We're surrounded!

: Goon! Over there!

Isn't that the spirit that was haunting Alice?

: Goon, I know how we can defeat him!

: HA!

: Lorde! We're here to help! Don't worry about the minions!

: Go on ahead! You can do this, Lorde!

She's right. I have to do this! Everyone is depending on me.

: I will not allow you to hurt this town, or my friends!

: I transcended life itself, and now command an army of the undead. What do YOU have to show for yourself? What haver you ever accomplished that has been worthwhile? Join me, and feel what it is to have power!

Game: Then he turns and looks directly at you.

: You are alone, Mortal... are you not afraid? Do you not fear death?

Game: Alice turns to you confidently.

Click that for voice acting.

: You can't take him on by yourself. But together, we can defeat him!

Game: He looks at Alice with contempt.

: Your will is weak. I took you once as mine, and I can certainly do it again!

: Not this time you can't. I have my friends by my side now, and they believe in me. They helped me restore my confidence when I had none. They picked me up when I had lost all hope. They NEVER stopped believing in me! You might have had some power over me before, but not anymore. Together, we can defeat you!

Game: Suzu throws you your violin so that you can fight the demon with music.

Click the second image for a new song. Our last song of this route.

Game: Just as the sun rises, you and Alice begin to play a duet together. The music seems to flow out of your soul and wrap around your entire being.

: Ugh, this can't be happening! I won't let you do this! You will not prevail!

More voice acting. Just click that image, it's great.

: No...no... This... Cannot... Be...

Game: The spirit dissolves into thin air as the few remaining zombies fall to the ground, motionless.

: I... I can't believe it...

: Yeah... yes it will.

Game: You and Alice gaze at each other with a mix of bewilderment and relief, knowing that this ordeal is finally over.

And that's a wrap for Alice's route! Click here to check out the credits. I'll let you see that for yourself.

Mysticblade fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 9, 2017

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
t-thats a good ending song, all right.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I love this game. I don't know what I find more entrancing, the shrapnel launcher, the fact that Kasumi and Satsuko completely coincidentally have the same VA, zombies, gently caress EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS GAME IS MAGICAL. THANK YOU FOR THIS LP I LOVE THIS GAME.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
whats with the weirdly fanservice second picture in the credits tho?

but seriously this is a good game, if you just accept that it's for weebs. like the akiba trip of 2010?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

I have literally never seen another VN do this. All other VNs take an extra step to show when scenes take place at night (lit up store fronts and whatnot) I never saw people just shade the whole thing and call it a day.

quote:

I was expecting the gag to be that it was a giant net launcher but no this thing actually fires heated metal. One of the many weapons and items not fit for this world.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

SSNeoman posted:

I have literally never seen another VN do this. All other VNs take an extra step to show when scenes take place at night (lit up store fronts and whatnot) I never saw people just shade the whole thing and call it a day.

Shooting day-for-night is just keeping in the grand tradition of lovely media everywhere.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I love how casually everyone takes delinquent zombies powered by ghost Mozart.

Alice is also very talented at quickly changing outfits in the middle of a fight.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
This was the only ending I ever got when playing this game, and Alice suddenly busting out that dress with zero explanation bugged the heck out of me.

I did totally forget about the shrapnel launcher though.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

You've heard some voice acting in this game. But who would spend their time on a game like this, where even the art is done by volunteers?

We did get a list of voice actors by character. Let's take a look, no?

Alice Avery - Julie Ann Taylor
Aya Hirakata - Stephanie Sheh
Hiroshi Sakuragi - Jason Griff
Kasumi Kusanagi - Sophie B.
Kazuki Ogawa - Micheal Sinterniklaas
Kiku Matsumoto - Evelyn Lantto
Naoko Ogawa - Elle Deets
Rena Sakuragi - Evelyn Lantto
Satsuko - Sophie B.
Suzu Inoue - Elle Deets
Yui Arakawa - Stephanie Sheh

So, where do I start...

Let's start with Alice. She's not using a pseudonym so that's nice.

Julie Ann Taylor

This one was easy to track down. We can directly find her on behindthevoiceactors.com.

I can recognise Selena from Fire Emblem Fates, Tsubaki Yayoi from Blazblue and Ibuki Mioda from Dangan Ronpa 2. Which FPzero is LP'ing on these forums and you might want to check that out.

Overall, she does a fair bit. Fairly impressive that the guys behind Shira Oka managed to get her in on this.

Stephanie Sheh

Also easy to track down. No aliases here.

It's weird to see this as Yui, since I always think of Tharja from Fire Emblem Awakening when I think of her. But holy hell, she's Hinata from Naruto and Mikan from Dangan Ronpa 2 as well. Big difference there.

Way bigger than I thought. They're pretty lucky to get her!

Jason Griff

This one is an alias but I'm pretty sure I got the right guy.

He's, uh...

He's been Sonic, he's been Shadow and he's been Usopp. Those certainly aren't small roles.

Another impressive catch. Someone in this cast has to be a mystery or Shira Oka's going to be a lot more tragic.

Sophie B.

I wasn't able to find anything from a bit of a look on Google. The closest I got was, well, this.

http://www.voice-overs.com.au/female-voiceover-artist/

That's an Australian site, this game was made in SoCal.

Michelle Ruff and Cristina Vee also came up when I searched for Sophie B. Apparently Michelle Ruff has been credited as Sophie Roberts before and I don't know why Cristina Vee came up. Might be them, might just be someone who hasn't done anything else.

Boo.

Michael Sinterniklaas

Not hiding behind any aliases, but I don't recognise him from anything.

I don't want to say he's a D-lister, it just seems like I don't watch things he stars in. He's alright, but he's not going to make me watch a show just for him like Liam O'Brien will.

Anyone want to talk about any prominent roles he stars in?

Evelyn Lantto

This one was an alias for one Carrie Keranen but a single Google got me here. There's some stuff on her.

She does Mahiru in Dangan Ronpa 2, Mami from Puella Magi Madoka Magica. She's also Lux from League of Legends. I hate that laugh.

Pretty big and one of my friends is a real fan of hers.

Elle Deets

Hoo boy. It wasn't hard to figure out who this was. But god drat, I didn't expect Laura Bailey to be in this game.

It's Laura Bailey. She's done a lot. For a quick reference of stuff I've payed attention to recently, she's Chun-Li, she's Rise from Persona 4 and she's Lucina from Fire Emblem.

How the hell did they get Laura Bailey in on this?

So yeah.

Shira Oka has an amazing cast of voice actors. Like, we have god drat Laura Bailey here. I tend to recognise male VA's more often for some reason, but even I know Laura Bailey. And the voice of Lux is nothing minor either.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

:psyduck:

I guess that's where most of the money went.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Michael Sinterniklaas is better known for being an ADR director for a bunch of things (like extremely cool movie your name. )than his actual va work where he's pretty B list.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Holy poo poo, I didn't know that this game had such a legit voice cast. That's amazing. and quite sad.

Oh god, does that mean the intermission song was sung by Julie Ann Taylor?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
What the gently caress, the ending sequences in this game are magical. On the note of voice acting, this isn't meant to be insulting but I'm totally unsurprised the voice cast of the weeaboo VN consists mainly of the crew known for anime dubs.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

No, the songs weren't song by the voice actors.

Looking at the credits (ow), the vocals were done by Ann Oyama for the weird penguin opening, the song for the route opening was done by someone called Marisa Bonomo and I think this song was sung by a person called Kayo Barker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I admire the enthusiasm, but they should have made sure their raising sim (especially one so cyclical) had a goddamn skip button.