Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dave Bautista should be listed as six-time WWE champion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Don't be silly. It'd a superhero franchise TV tie-in. They'd refer to them as "the star-spangled man and his sidekick" or possibly reveal that Cap is a distant cousin of one of the squad so he'll only ever be "my cousin".
Nah on the ABC Marvel shows they bring up the character's names up all the time

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
And supergirl has a superman on the show now.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
https://twitter.com/trailertrack/status/813468082685485056

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
That casting sheet just makes me sad that Samuel L. Jackson is almost 70 and still hasn't won an Oscar.

He's getting robbed.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Oscars are meaningless bullshit anyway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jackson has never been good enough to win a meaningless bullshit Oscar either.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Jackson has never been good white enough to win a meaningless bullshit Oscar either.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Should've gotten best actor for snakes on a muthafuckin plane

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That casting sheet just makes me sad that Samuel L. Jackson is almost 70 and still hasn't won an Oscar.

He's getting robbed.

When was the last time he put an actual effort into a role and wasn't just playing off the idea of "Samuel L Jackson"?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I wanted to add that also but I'm not knowledgeable enough about Jackson's career to know if he's really been big in anything that wasn't blockbuster popcorn. Not that blockbuster popcorn can't be artistic, but they aren't exactly Oscar bait.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

muscles like this! posted:

When was the last time he put an actual effort into a role and wasn't just playing off the idea of "Samuel L Jackson"?

Django Unchained?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

WickedHate posted:

I wanted to add that also but I'm not knowledgeable enough about Jackson's career to know if he's really been big in anything that wasn't blockbuster popcorn. Not that blockbuster popcorn can't be artistic, but they aren't exactly Oscar bait.
Pulp Fiction

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The big doesn't-play-himself role that sticks with me is a time to kill

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Aphrodite posted:

Jackson has never been good enough to win a meaningless bullshit Oscar either.
Yeah you want to talk about being good enough to win a meaningless bullshit Oscar look at Michael Keaton who played a role that is Oscar bait bullshit that is a shoein for Best Actor and lost to someone who won because he played he was in the most Oscar bait of Oscar bait roles: British man playing a cripple in a biopic.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

He should have won in 1995, but got robbed.

The fact that he wasn't even nominated for XxX: State of the Union shows what a farce the whole event is.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

We could make a list as long as the Avengers Infinity Wars casting sheet of people who should have won Oscars. Like Peter O' Tool.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bad photoshop posters rule.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

site posted:

The big doesn't-play-himself role that sticks with me is a time to kill

Yeah! There you go, that should have won an Oscar, by the standards of the Oscars(incidentally, it was also a great performance in a great movie).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A Time To Kill wasn't well received.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I never got the impression Samuel L. Jackson ever gave a poo poo about winning an oscar.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Django Unchained?

The character may be atypical, but his mannerisms, speech, cadence, actions, etc. are standard Sam Jackson. You'd have to look beyond his Tarantino films to find a big doesn't-play-himself role.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And also I'm not sure how we can consider a movie with this not peak Jackson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMGMZsKXz94&t=25s

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If peak Jackson is just "he yells in a scene" well

I'm also shocked that white audiences wouldn't like a movie where a black man takes revenge on his daughter's white racist rapists

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

site posted:

This is exactly what people mean when they talk about Sam Jackson playing Sam Jackson

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

site posted:

It is.

1997 is the last time he was nominated for any serious award, that seems about right for when he stopped playing anything but himself.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 27, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I guess my definition is different then

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Question IRL posted:

We could make a list as long as the Avengers Infinity Wars casting sheet of people who should have won Oscars. Like Peter O' Tool.

O'Toole's problem was that his best performance, which set the standard he was always held to afterwards (Lawrence of Arabia), was the first one he was nominated for in a year he was up against Gregory Peck, who a) had been nominated and lost already, so it was thus his "turn"; and b) was up for Best Actor for To Kill a Mockingbird.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I don't mean this as a slight because I generally enjoy his work, but how the hell does Bradley Cooper have four Oscar nominations?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He gets a nomination most of the time Jennifer Lawrence gets a win.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The only movies I can think of where he's not doing the kind of roles Jackson is really known for are the Star Wars prequels and Jurassic Park

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Mace Windu was Jackson as hell, just extremely badly directed so it came off as stilted like every single other character in the prequels.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

WickedHate posted:

Mace Windu was Jackson as hell, just extremely badly directed so it came off as stilted like every single other character in the prequels.
The writing was way worse than the directing.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

howe_sam posted:

I don't mean this as a slight because I generally enjoy his work, but how the hell does Bradley Cooper have four Oscar nominations?

It's kind of deceptive in that only 3 are for acting but he was also a producer for American Sniper so the Best Picture nomination for that movie is included.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

He is a bad actor

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ignite Memories posted:

He is a bad actor

But he's handsome.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I have nothing against Bradley Cooper, but Silver Linings Playbook was very overrated and Cooper/Jlaw/that Movie didn't deserve all the Oscar nominations and wins.

Edit: Just looked it up and speaking of robbed; Meryl Streep had 15 Best Actress nominations and only 1 win until The Iron Lady. How was that possible?

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 27, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jennifer Lawrence is vastly overrated.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rhyno posted:

Jennifer Lawrence is vastly overrated.

She was great in Winter's Bone, but it seems like she's phoning everything in after having met and worked with David O'Russell. Or maybe it was the Hunger Games movies that demoralized her or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
She's also really gorgeous, but there's lots of actors just as good looking who are more talented. It is crazy how she's like 25 and gets cast in roles that are clearly meant for older women. Like how many widows has she played?

• Locked thread