Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No, but thank you for deciding my opinion of you without me having any input. Yep, I present new Vegas as a counterpoint and without making a single accusation I am implied to believe you are brain damaged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Kokoro Wish posted:

I always found New Vegas to actually be fundamentally and motivationally very weak personally. Your character gets accosted and shot in the face by people you don't know over a package you're transporting that contains mystery item. You're saved by a doctor. Lucky you. From there, what's the character's motivation? I know what I'd do and hat makes sense. I'd count my lucky stars, say gently caress this poo poo-hole, and head back to courier home base to tell them man I got shot and they stole whatever was in that package. I'm lucky to be alive. Your character's life is outside the Vegas area, you getting involved in what's going on there seems a massive stretch. Say what you want about "My Dad!The Baby!" but for alot of people that's a stronger motivational tie, and it more closely matches the first two Fallouts in emotional impetus and reasoning to get your character moving. It's a world with some interesting things in it, but I have no real pressing reason to get to any of it other than "aren't you interested as a player?" or "well it's a game".

Plus the exploration felt really kerbed. Invisible walls and high level enemies blocking off simple exploration. Plus the content you can find by looking around, while it can tie into the area, can actually be very weakly presented. I remember none of the vaults from my time played, aside from one that ended in a murder room that just annoyed me. But honestly, I can't really think of anything that's more impactful than the fairly weak stuff in 4 like the origins of the Gunners and the like, and that wasn't spoon fed to you, you stumbled onto that, so I might say that's actually better in some ways.

Let me guess, I have brain damage.

This post is seriously baffling...

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I know, and I don't know how it could be baffling. I think fundamentally there are some things Fallout 4 (and even 3) do better. Fundamental plot motivation being one of them, which I honestly think is one of the weakest aspects of New Vegas, plus the plot being back loaded into Vegas it's self. Plus the incidental content that is there being more memorable and better presented. There's interesting stuff in Vegas, but I (and others I've talked to) felt detached from it because of the lack of ties. Plus I honestly think the Legion were just way too goofy a concept, even for a Mad Max-alike and the fact I was actually meant to take them seriously was just mind boggling to me. If it was something looser like the Humungus, or even Immortan Joe would have fitted better. Hell even the Elvis impersonators. Who wouldn't have loved to go up against megalomaniacal Evlisites looking to take over Vegas. That would have been great.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 26, 2016

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Kokoro Wish posted:

Your character gets accosted and shot in the face by people you don't know over a package you're transporting that contains mystery item. You're saved by a doctor. Lucky you. From there, what's the character's motivation? I know what I'd do and hat makes sense. I'd count my lucky stars, say gently caress this poo poo-hole, and head back to courier home base to tell them man I got shot and they stole whatever was in that package.

How are you gonna go back to home base when you're suffering from severe amnesia due to being shot in the head?

I mean, the entire motivation during a significant part of the game was trying to put the pieces back together.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

enraged_camel posted:

How are you gonna go back to home base when you're suffering from severe amnesia due to being shot in the head?

I mean, the entire motivation during a significant part of the game was trying to put the pieces back together.

You know, I've tried to play through the game several times and failed, and this was honestly never made clear to me. I don't go into these games trying to hate them, nor do I have a "lol Bethesda games-like hate boner for Obsidian that I sometimes see (Alpha Protocol was the poo poo). Plus isn't amnesiac hero meant to be one of the shittier motivations? Torment made it work with very clever writing, but usually it's loving garbage and is held up as such and Vegas sure as hell wasn't Torment levels of writing. And why do I feel that if Fallout 3 or 4 had pushed the exact same angle of "Amnesiac hero tries to piece together his past" it would have been met with "Lol, loving amnesiac hero :rolleyes: what do they think they are, Planescape?".

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 26, 2016

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Kokoro Wish posted:

I've honestly noticed that alot of people, including friends of mine who would otherwise forgive glaring things in games, have all pretty much clambered on the lol-Bethesda train and are riding it hard. Bethesda games do alot right, and what they get wrong, most people can glass over without really thinking about it, but the most vocal people you see are people who seem to poo poo all over the games for not being absolutely perfect in very specific ways, while holding no other games to the same standards, or working around the other game's flaws to make specific critique about Bethesda game.

Like I said before, the problem is not that the game is lovely. The problem is that it has many different parts that are individually good quality but don't fit together as one coherent and tightly integrated system. As a result, the whole game feels half-assed and uninspiring.

Furthermore, what is frustrating is that a lot of that lack of integration is a severe regression from where the original two games were. Here is a simple example: in Fallout 2 when you are in New Reno, you can sleep with the wife of one of the mob bosses. If your Endurance is high enough and/or you have the Kama Sutra Master perk, you please the poo poo out of her and she's still asleep when you wake up. If you stay in the room for a while, she eventually mutters the combination to the nearby wall safe.

It sounds pretty stupid now, but it was stupid stuff like that that really tied the game together by establishing a direct relationship between your character and the game world. Each one of your perks and SPECIAL stats could open additional possibilities. If you had really low intelligence, NPCs could show pity on you by forgiving your transgressions, or try to take advantage of you. If you had high intelligence, you could befriend scientists and earn their respect, which also opened additional possibilities.

Fallout 4 is really bland and simplistic in comparison. And the reason people give Bethesda crap about it is that the expectation is that games should get better over time, not worse. Just like you expect better graphics from a sequel, you should also expect better writing, better itemization, and generally better everything. Especially if said sequel takes half a decade to develop.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 26, 2016

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Benny shooting you in the head works better than "wheres my dad/baby!" because it doesn't try to force you into doing things quickly. After the intro sequence you can decide for yourself if he needs to be hunted down immediately, or if you can wait, or even spare him. The player can go off and explore the game world, do other things, and get around to it when they feel like it.

Searching for your missing family member is a motivation to do poo poo right now, so it feels out of place when you've been doing other things, like everybody who plays open world games does. Combining this with FO4's voiced protagonist makes it especially noticeable.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Plus the exploration felt really kerbed. Invisible walls and high level enemies blocking off simple exploration.

I'll definitely give you this point though. One of the first mods I looked for for NV was something to get rid of those walls, and once I found one I never played the game without it.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

enraged_camel posted:

It sounds pretty stupid now, but it was stupid stuff like that that really tied the game together by establishing a direct relationship between your character and the game world. Each one of your perks and SPECIAL stats could open additional possibilities. If you had really low intelligence, NPCs could show pity on you by forgiving your transgressions, or try to take advantage of you. If you had high intelligence, you could befriend scientists and earn their respect, which also opened additional possibilities.

Fallout 4 is really bland and simplistic in comparison. And the reason people give Bethesda crap about it is that the expectation is that games should get better over time, not worse. Just like you expect better graphics from a sequel, you should also expect better writing, better itemization, and generally better everything. Especially if said sequel takes half a decade to develop.

No it sounds great and it was great. But unlike alot of people, I can also see why this isn't in Fallout 4. It takes alot of time, money and expertise to make a game as complex as Fallout 4 and the cost could very easily spiral out of control. Back in the days of Interplay, costs were actually alot more reasonable and the tech simpler. You could have a smaller team put out something like Fallout 1/2 at a reasonable cost and expect to recoup. Plus with things being simpler, you can spend more time on things like plot and writing. "But Bethesda is rich as balls!" I hear people cry "They can afford to do both!". Fact is no, if they could afford to do both they're be doing both. "Then they're just lazy!". No, you know how much work went into this game? If they were lazy they're be using the exact same engine iteration as Skyrim and it wouldn't have any extra systems. Actually for alot of people's standards this would have been fine as it might have actually meant more money available for the writing staff and plot. It would have also meant 32-bit architecture.

I know people hold up Fallout 3/New Vegas as the direct comparison as mentioned before, but Obsidian didn't have to write a game engine and all the systems within it (or iterate on previous work very heavily). This is why alot of Fallout 3 (and 4's) expansions are stronger than the base game in the writing. They were handed an already done product pieced together for Fallout 3, wrote a few of their own smaller systems and they even had Bethesda doing their Q&A (and before people give Bethesda poo poo over QA, you work it and see if you catch everything. Here's a hint, you won't, not in a million years, even some game breaking poo poo). Largely they could concentrate on the world, aesthetics and yes, the story-line.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 26, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

aniviron posted:

I wish more of the AI acted this way in combat though. Like the AI would evaluate whether it stood even a remote chance of killing you and if the answer was no it would hide, flee, or at least not start shooting; obviously creatures, ghouls, etc. should be exempt from this rule, but even some animals it makes sense for this to apply to. I always think of a certain youtube let's play of New Vegas where someone is just incredulous about the behaviour or the animals, "What kind of creature hears gunshots and runs towards them?" Which is true. Even something like a bear doesn't run at gunfire. It's a bit much that mole rats do.

Follow along with me on this, I think they actually do. Or, uh, did. Somebody made a mod that re-adds Damage Threshold, which is something the engine can account for but never actually uses. It applied to two things - vertibirds (so they'd be less made of paper) and power armor. A lot of enemies actually do account for a target they can't damage and run the hell away. Or, uh, try to, in the case of say Kendall Hospital, where out is too far up and down is deathclaw.

Really I'm wondering if there wasn't some kind of mechanical overhaul, like halfway through development or somesuch. Enemies bolt if they can't do damage but they can always do chip damage with the S-shaped damage resistance curve. Perks and skills might affect dialogue but when you don't know what the perks are going to be, or if skills are going to be, how do you set those hooks?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

One little thing that screams "lazy" to me is a lack of weapons being shown when they're holstered.

They have a weapon crafting system where you can't actually see your unique weapon. Not to mention your active weapon just going in/out of hammerspace is a step backwards.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
New Vegas makes its goals clear in the opening slides. It's a game more interested in the world and the interplay of the factions than any single courier. The courier is just one part of a much bigger power play happening across the Mojave. I like how the game let's you choosr how invested you are in the main plot. You are either the catalyst for the expansion of several empires, or just a drifter getting into trouble who stumbles into a major battle for a local landmark.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

You don't have amnesia in New Vegas.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Kokoro Wish posted:

No it sounds great and it was great. But unlike alot of people, I can also see why this isn't in Fallout 4. It takes alot of time, money and expertise to make a game as complex as Fallout 4 and the cost could very easily spiral out of control. Back in the days of Interplay, costs were actually alot more reasonable and the tech simpler. You could have a smaller team put out something like Fallout 1/2 at a reasonable cost and expect to recoup. Plus with things being simpler, you can spend more time on things like plot and writing. "But Bethesda is rich as balls!" I hear people cry "They can afford to do both!". Fact is no, if they could afford to do both they're be doing both. "Then they're just lazy!". No, you know how much work went into this game? If they were lazy they're be using the exact same engine iteration as Skyrim and it wouldn't have any extra systems. Actually for alot of people's standards this would have been fine as it might have actually meant more money available for the writing staff and plot. It would have also meant 32-bit architecture.

I know people hold up Fallout 3/New Vegas as the direct comparison as mentioned before, but Obsidian didn't have to write a game engine and all the systems within it (or iterate on previous work very heavily). This is why alot of Fallout 3 (and 4's) expansions are stronger than the base game in the writing. They were handed an already done product pieced together for Fallout 3, wrote a few of their own smaller systems and they even had Bethesda doing their Q&A (and before people give Bethesda poo poo over QA, you work it and see if you catch everything. Here's a hint, you won't, not in a million years, even some game breaking poo poo). Largely they could concentrate on the world, aesthetics and yes, the story-line.

No one is saying Bethesda is lazy or that they didn't work incredibly hard to make Fallout 4. Heck, by all accounts it had a budget between $120 and $150 million, so it's obvious a lot went into making it.

The argument I'm putting forth can be summarized as such: they tried to add too many things, and ended up doing a mediocre job at the aggregate. For example, it would have been much better if we didn't have settlements, but better refined questing or itemization. Or if we didn't have the weapon modification system, but had a proper skill & perk system like the previous games. It's pretty clear they made a lot of sacrifices in certain areas to cram as many "features" in as possible. The end result is a random patchwork of stuff that fits together only loosely.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

You don't have amnesia in New Vegas.

You should play again perhaps and pay more attention. The dialogue with several characters, including in particular Doc Mitchell, explains it quite clearly.

Here's more specific proof though: in Lonesome Road, Ulysses says that the player character has gone on Brahmin drives in NCR territory. However, at the beginning of the main game, the player has no idea who the NCR is. Therefore, amnesia.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

enraged_camel posted:

You should play again perhaps and pay more attention. The dialogue with several characters, including in particular Doc Mitchell, explains it quite clearly.

Here's more specific proof though: in Lonesome Road, Ulysses says that the player character has gone on Brahmin drives in NCR territory. However, at the beginning of the main game, the player has no idea who the NCR is. Therefore, amnesia.

You are explicitly wrong by the commentary of the game's makers. Your character has amnesia if that's the way you want to play him, but it's not a written element of the game. For some reason a lot of people just assume the main character has amnesia because gun + head = lost memory to them, but it's not something that is there beyond a desire to roleplay it. Your character has regular chances to talk about others places he's been, things he's done, and showcase knowledge he wouldn't have otherwise.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ironslave posted:

You are explicitly wrong by the commentary of the game's makers. Your character has amnesia if that's the way you want to play him, but it's not a written element of the game. For some reason a lot of people just assume the main character has amnesia because gun + head = lost memory to them, but it's not something that is there beyond a desire to roleplay it. Your character has regular chances to talk about others places he's been, things he's done, and showcase knowledge he wouldn't have otherwise.

I said at the beginning he has amnesia. I mean he must have, otherwise he would have known who the NCR is. He probably recovers eventually and has the dialogue choices you mention later on.

It's like you fall down tomorrow and hit your head, then you get a message from a friend saying you should get online in Final Fantasy and you go, "what the hell is Final Fantasy?" At that point it is quite safe to conclude that you have at least temporary amnesia, no?

Anyway, it doesn't matter. The main point is that New Vegas's writing lent itself to a more open-world gameplay where the direction you had to go wasn't shoved in your face all the drat time. It's just another area Fallout 4 is mediocre in comparison.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

enraged_camel posted:

I said at the beginning he has amnesia. I mean he must have, otherwise he would have known who the NCR is. He probably recovers eventually and has the dialogue choices you mention later on.

It's like you fall down tomorrow and hit your head, then you get a message from a friend saying you should get online in Final Fantasy and you go, "what the hell is Final Fantasy?" At that point it is quite safe to conclude that you have at least temporary amnesia, no?

Anyway, it doesn't matter. The main point is that New Vegas's writing lent itself to a more open-world gameplay where the direction you had to go wasn't shoved in your face all the drat time. It's just another area Fallout 4 is mediocre in comparison.

Those are for the benefit of the players coming to New Vegas from Fallout 3; the game doesn't force you to ask those questions, and doesn't enforce a narrative as to why you would. Avellone has directly stated (more than once) that the Courier was never written to have amnesia.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ironslave posted:

Those are for the benefit of the players coming to New Vegas from Fallout 3; the game doesn't force you to ask those questions, and doesn't enforce a narrative as to why you would. Avellone has directly stated (more than once) that the Courier was never written to have amnesia.

enraged_camel posted:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

enraged_camel posted:

I said at the beginning he has amnesia. I mean he must have, otherwise he would have known who the NCR is.

The way the dialogue options are written are intentionally vague. For example, when you first talk about the NCR with Sunny or Easy Pete, it is written like "The NCR?". That's a pretty vague statement which could mean anything from "what is the NCR doing in the area?" to "Who are the NCR? My brain bad bullet not right thinking." The game never explicitly says the courier doesn't know who the NCR is, but the dialogue choices are crafted in order to be interpreted a number of different ways.
It's the great advantage of silent protagonists. You can add any intonation you want.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

Have we been playing the same game?
The first third of New Vegas was all about how to get to... guess, what, New Vegas!

It's all about following Benny's footsteps and you either followed the fully designed roundabout path filled with sidequests that introduce you to the world and factions or you go to the city straight through the overpowered enemies and million signs that tells you "turn around, and follow the well designed path we made".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The game also says "turn around and go the safe route, by the way there is a stealth boy in the school house and a narrow corridor the death claws avoid past Sloan, but that's just between you and me. Don't tell anybody. Also, there's this valley that's hidden but I hear you can pass through a gulch and pop out just south of a major trade route."

I almost never go the southern route past Primm. Once I grab Ed-e I head for scorpion gulch and bypass novac entirely.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
As a comparison you can't get into Fort Hagan early and if you break into Kellog's apartment before rescuing Nick they even go to the trouble of removing the giant red button model so you can't sequence break the game. Probably another voiced MC thing because you could immediately head to Braun's and rescue your dad in 3.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Yeah as much as I love New Vegas I hate all the early game sidequests in Primm, the Mojave Outpost and Nipton, and feel like it doesn't really start picking up until you hit Novac or just circumvent it all entirely and go straight to Freeside. By comparison I actually like Fallout 4's intro a bit more (helping the losers in Concord) but feel like everything between Diamond City and then getting to the Memory Den is kind of a huge slog.

And yeah, you definitely don't have amnesia, all the courier's questions about the NCR are written as such that its for the benefit of the player but without making them feel like their out of the loop. They do a similar thing in KOTOR2.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Yeah as much as I love New Vegas I hate all the early game sidequests in Primm, the Mojave Outpost and Nipton, and feel like it doesn't really start picking up until you hit Novac or just circumvent it all entirely and go straight to Freeside. By comparison I actually like Fallout 4's intro a bit more (helping the losers in Concord) but feel like everything between Diamond City and then getting to the Memory Den is kind of a huge slog.

The worst part about the beginning part in Fallout 4 is that you get a Power Armor within like the first hour of gameplay, then kill a god drat deathclaw with the minigun you find alongside the Power Armor.

I know the game just wants to give you a taste of what it will be like later, but it ends up feeling like reading the last chapter of a book, then going back to the beginning.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Plus the exploration felt really kerbed. Invisible walls and high level enemies blocking off simple exploration.

I'm with you on the invisible walls, but I kind of liked the fact that the wilderness areas away from settlements and major roads were inhabited by high level enemies. I mean, it's the loving Wasteland. It's supposed to be dangerous as gently caress.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Wolfsheim posted:

They do a similar thing in KOTOR2.

And some people are similarly confused there. And it's only natural, given how a lot of the dialog is written. Again, it's an assumption that's wrong but easy to make. I don't think you can fault people too much for the confusion.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Ashrik posted:

Hey I had this game for ages and never played it, then bought the season pass on the Steam winter sale.

I want to do the same thing I did for Fallout NV, namely install some sperg-ordered list of way-too-many mods that work together like its some kind of new game+. Anyone know where I can find a good/reputable mod compilation and load order list?

Sorry to quote myself, I just want to find out if this is an option for me. Also, I liked NV more than FO3. Just to add my 2cents to the conversation.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ashrik posted:

Sorry to quote myself, I just want to find out if this is an option for me. Also, I liked NV more than FO3. Just to add my 2cents to the conversation.

Here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_bbAq4u7Zc8TdNkZh4uWZXioTKvdl6lk4j0TofFfp7g/edit

You don't really need a load order list. Just use nexus mod manager and it will handle all of that for you. You do need an account at nexusgaming but it's free.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Kokoro Wish posted:

Look.

The problems that FO4 has are on a pretty fundamental level. You could argue that what you talk about actually makes it more difficult to fix them because once they are made, you don't have the money to go back and fix them properly or whatever.

The question is: "Why doesn't Bethesda do better?" Your answer, pretty much, is that they are incompetent. You keep using a lot of words to get around it but this is what it gets down to; Bethesda is not good at game design.

And you know, I can cop to that might be it rather than them just being lazy or poo poo at using their money. The dialogue system is loving garbage and embarrassingly so. It somehow manages to be inferior to ME1, the originator of the system, that came out in 2007.

The question is; why the gently caress are you showing them so much sympathy over this? When I look at a company that has, for the last 3 games not done a great job in a lot of areas, why the hell shouldn't I give them poo poo over it? When every game they make looks better but is worse designed, less immersive and just more shallow?

The big difference in Fallout 3 and New Vegas isn't that they had so much more time and didn't have to design the engine because the same loving thing applied to every single piece of DLC made for the game and none of it was the equal to the DLC in NV. (I'll admit it was a factor, but not the main one)

It's that they were better designed by people with a firm idea of what they wanted and how they wanted it to happen. gently caress, the Sink from the Old World Blues DLC in NV has the skeleton of the crafting system in FO4; you have garbage you make into useful things, you have a single central hub you hang around with all your things. Too bad the literal loving toaster there has more character than most of the NPCs in FO4.

Good game design is, among other things, about integrating different aspects of a game into a single coherent whole. This is done both mechanically and story wise. Depending on how you set up your character, you are going to have a very different game and to its credit, this remains true to some degree in FO4. Combat there is such an improvement compared to the earlier games, that it's almost beyond compare. They applied the lessons of Skyrim very well there. But it's not really tied into anything other than the combat. They tried it a little bit in the last DLC by having gun-upgrades be tied into actually having levelled using them, I suppose, whereas if you were using bullets/lasers/melee/explosives it was a huge difference in NV. (Especially because explosives were horrible in a lot of ways, hah.)

In contrast, the story and metanarrative in 4 is a steaming pile of poo poo. Throughout the entirety of the NV, you had the spectre of Ulysses hanging around you. The DLC packs are tied together in an interesting and good way that nothing was in either 3 or 4 was. And you can ignore it and lose nothing, pretty much. The DLC for 4, in contrast, is a wet fart. The Island is decent, I suppose, but Nuka World was meh from start to finish. And that's it. There's nothing more, as apparently that's all the effort that Bethesda felt like putting in it. If we go into the main game itself you've already gone into why it didn't work for you. That's fine, as people like different things and I can agree that the vaults for instance aren't as distinctive as in the other games. (Who, for instance, remembers the vault that was always on the loading screens? Good ideas there, let down by dullness.)

Which ties, again, into FO4. Yes, there are good ideas there but they don't go anywhere, or rather, all head off in their own, separate directions. There's so many instances of how the game could be improved by actual integration of different mechanics. (My fav is how melee would be vastly improved if you could build your own cover and bridges) And integration of RPG mechanics outside of combat are just a sad joke. You use your intelligence score a grand total of ONCE in the game outside of it being related to combat. In fact, combat is pretty much all the game is about, and while that was more acceptable in the Elder Scrolls games, it's pretty loving lame in Fallout.

Ashrik posted:

There's also a mod thread for this game, somewhere.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Oh awesome, I'll take a look for it.

Also, Bethesda is excellent at making these systems, not not the best at using them to their full extent. In a more perfect world, they would set up whatever agreement they had with Obsidian with other companies to do similar.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Kokoro Wish posted:

We might be playing different DLC. So far I've only played through Automatron, but it's such a jumbled mess of writing that I don't know how you could consider it "strong." The DLC starts with you meeting Ada, the sole survivor of a convoy of dead people that the game takes great pains to introduce you to. The central conflict is that Ada, your DLC companion, wants revenge against the Mechanist. Then, after winning the Mechanist fight, the two of them have absolutely no interaction. It makes perfect sense for you to want to bring Ada along for the final confrontation. But she can be standing right beside you during the conversation with the Mechanist! You can even let the Mechanist live and then immediately tell Ada you killed her. You can also leave the Mechanist, a young naive girl, alone with dozens of the criminally insane robots that the game took great lengths to explain were created through the torture and murder of prisoners and who have already twisted her directions into "go kill humans." I think that's supposed to be the moral option? Jezebel, one of the criminally insane robots who deliberately misinterpreted orders and murdered countless innocents, is still just sort of chilling out in my settlement. Everything's a mess and nothing matters. The robot customization is pretty neat, though.

Still, you might have a point about the base game's writing. What do the developers think a "dead drop" means? Because a dead drop that says "hey come talk to me" is extremely stupid. Even then I wasn't going to say anything about it until I showed up in full power armor, brandishing a combat rifle, and old man Stockton commented that he was "expecting somebody a bit more... armed." I know he could have been expecting Glory, but come on

edit: the game got angry that I talked poo poo about it, and now H2-22 isn't where he should be. I've tried the usual suspects (reload, refresh the area, wait 24 hours elsewhere, etc) and Stockton just keeps introducing me to his imaginary friend. This is clearly a sign that the Railroad plotline is too idiotic to continue playing through. BoS it is!

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 26, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

enraged_camel posted:

Here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_bbAq4u7Zc8TdNkZh4uWZXioTKvdl6lk4j0TofFfp7g/edit

You don't really need a load order list. Just use nexus mod manager and it will handle all of that for you. You do need an account at nexusgaming but it's free.

this isn't really true. Sort your load order with LOOT, and create a merged patch in FO4edit. That will handle 90% of any mod conflicts, and you'll be good to go.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Prop Wash posted:

edit: the game got angry that I talked poo poo about it, and now H2-22 isn't where he should be. I've tried the usual suspects (reload, refresh the area, wait 24 hours elsewhere, etc) and Stockton just keeps introducing me to his imaginary friend. This is clearly a sign that the Railroad plotline is too idiotic to continue playing through. BoS it is!

You won't regret this choice. People go on and on for days about which faction is best for the commonwealth but really all the choices are lovely for their own legitimate reasons. The more relevant question and the one they should be asking themselves is: which faction gives me, the player character, the most fun toys to play with, and the most entertaining missions? And that is definitely the brotherhood.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It's true, even in the Minutemen ending the Brotherhood launches an aerial assault on The Castle and it's one of the coolest setpieces in the game.

DecentHairJelly
Jul 24, 2007

I don't want Fop goddamnit
I really wish there was more to do with the children of atom. After granting them "division" on my two previous trips to far harbor, I finally sided with them. I outed Captain Avery to Allen Lee, wiped out Acadia with the angry mob, then immediately shut down the wind farm, letting the wildlife reclaim the town. Tektus promoted me to inquisitor or some poo poo but I bet that I'll still get attacked by the Commonwealth CoA on sight. Also, I was hoping that they would move into the Far Harbor town, but no dice. Looks like that place is going to remain a smoking ruin. And, since I killed everyone in Acadia, and I'm playing on survival, I now have to hoof it all the way to the Nucleus from now on if I want .40-72 or whatever the hell that ammo is.

Oh, and Longfellow attacked me when I went back to his island so I had to kill him too.

All in all it seems that you lose more than you gain by siding with the CoA, but whatever man, glory to Atom I guess.

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
So google has been pretty all over the place in terms of answering this but why is that my 200 Water producing Sanctuary Hill rarely ever has water in it? I have Local Leader so it is connected to other towns, but those towns have ample supplies of water, is this a bug? Is this a feature? Why can't I consistently farm water out of my settlement? Anyone have an answer for this?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

rjderouin posted:

So google has been pretty all over the place in terms of answering this but why is that my 200 Water producing Sanctuary Hill rarely ever has water in it? I have Local Leader so it is connected to other towns, but those towns have ample supplies of water, is this a bug? Is this a feature? Why can't I consistently farm water out of my settlement? Anyone have an answer for this?

Water doesn't share between settlements, I think.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

rjderouin posted:

iirc water production caps at what is produced in one "cycle". So if all your pumps put out a combined 200, then your workbench supply won't go above that number. Empty it out and sell it and it'll keep producing.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

The way the dialogue options are written are intentionally vague. For example, when you first talk about the NCR with Sunny or Easy Pete, it is written like "The NCR?". That's a pretty vague statement which could mean anything from "what is the NCR doing in the area?" to "Who are the NCR? My brain bad bullet not right thinking." The game never explicitly says the courier doesn't know who the NCR is, but the dialogue choices are crafted in order to be interpreted a number of different ways.
It's the great advantage of silent protagonists. You can add any intonation you want.

they actually do it in a even better way than that. the courier goes "What's your take on the NCR."

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Floppychop posted:

iirc water production caps at what is produced in one "cycle". So if all your pumps put out a combined 200, then your workbench supply won't go above that number. Empty it out and sell it and it'll keep producing.

It's a little more complicated than that, as seen here.

Executive summary:

If you have workbench edibles (including prewar food and cooked meals) greater than 10 + settlers, you will not get any crop surplus. (Crop surplus expresses as random plantable food.)

If you have workbench drinkables (including dirty water and drugged water) greater than 5 + settlers/4, you will not get any water surplus.

If you have workbench scrap (including materials) greater than 100 + 5 * settlers, you will not get any scavenging production.

In practice, yes, this means that if you build your settlement to produce a large surplus you'll only get one cycle of it.

The linked mod removes that cap, and also reduces the power of workbench food/water/scrap to attract raids like fresh-baked pie attracts hobos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
BOS is the best faction in FO4 because they have vertibirds, power armor, a tangible goal, and an actual meaningful in-game world presence.

I mean yes, techno-nazis. No question. But they actually DO things, and they have fun toys.

• Locked thread