Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

SkySteak posted:

Hey this may be more of a worthwhile in the Witcher thread but I was going to ask.

Is the Witcher 3 really as good as people make it out to be? It seems to have rave reviews on Steam but as someone who has never touched a Witcher game, is it really that good? Gameplay wise is there any game that you can compare it to, mechanically?

At a very basic level, maybe Dragon's Dogma. Just with more emphasis on preparation and cheating, less on big flashy spells. This is probably oversimplifying, but closest that immediately comes to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

We're talking roguelikes and nobody has mentioned Hand of Fate? For shame.

Each of your encounters is instanced and determined by various decks of cards (some of which you have a lot of control over, others of which you don't.) Combat is the closest thing to the perfection of Arkham Asylum I've run into and the roguelike elements are neat -- especially strategizing what goes into your various decks of cards to beat certain challenges.

The DLC is dirt-cheap and expands the game by a large amount too.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

SkySteak posted:

Hey this may be more of a worthwhile in the Witcher thread but I was going to ask.

Is the Witcher 3 really as good as people make it out to be? It seems to have rave reviews on Steam but as someone who has never touched a Witcher game, is it really that good? Gameplay wise is there any game that you can compare it to, mechanically?

If you really like RPGs, it's that good. The voice acting, characters and world are warm, interesting and beautiful. The action is pretty generic. It kind of feels like watered down Batman combat with some basic magic like force push. If you're the kind of person who buttons through dialogue and skips quest descriptions, for example, there's not much there for you.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
My bus was canceled and I can't go home today. Tell me what I shouldn't buy.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Do people still play Helldivers or would I be throwing my money away?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

DrNutt posted:

Uh the first gang in the game is just a bunch of disorganized anarchists that are referred to as 'looters'. Like it's the kind of portrayal of 'thugs' and 'criminals' that you get by turning on Fox News or opening up Breitbart. I've had fun with the game so far but there are some places that get close to realm of right wing whacko fantasy of gunning down the urban ferals.

The Division's enemy factions are a bit of a hodge podge of ideas - you get looters, sanitation workers, prisoners, PMCs, etc. The flavor is interesting, but is ultimately just window dressing to flesh out the post Crisis NYC. It's like seeing a current events reference pop up on Law and Order.

It'd be great for these big studio games to actually be interested enough for politics and to create a view that might actually offend or connect with people on that level. But no games really do that.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
The Division is much less inspired than The Last of Us, just as far as the whole us vs them mentality. TLOU has you fighting looters and cannibals as well, but at the very least the protagonist knows morality is out the window. Kill or be killed, steal to live another day and so on. It seems like The Division "Good Guys" weren't ever put in a morally grey situation, but those dudes on the streets stole so lets put them down like dogs.

That all said its just mmo videogame story and these always suck but hey i'll take some goofy narrative if it means I can play an RPG in a modern, generally realistic setting. Kinda tired of RPGs with elves or space elves.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

Same question as this guy.

Also considering these other games:

Seraph
Dungelot: Shattered Lands
Bot Vice
GoNNER
Shrouded in Sanity
Poly Bridge
Geometry Wars (or 3)
Lumo

Anyone feel really strongly about one of these, one way or the other?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Randallteal posted:

If you really like RPGs, it's that good. The voice acting, characters and world are warm, interesting and beautiful. The action is pretty generic. It kind of feels like watered down Batman combat with some basic magic like force push. If you're the kind of person who buttons through dialogue and skips quest descriptions, for example, there's not much there for you.

From the way you're describing it, I was just reminded of the game it reminds me most of: L.A. Noire. The Witcher 3 is L.A. Noire except instead of a detective putting together clues you're a medieval monster hunter taking apart monsters. The actual meat of the gameplay is secondary to the hours of voiced dialogue and "atmosphere" and wandering around a big open area.

But at least with L.A. Noire I didn't have to pick flowers and mix up "decoctions" and button mash against groups of enemies.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I adore, adore Seraph - I've put 86 minutes into it so far, and combat feels good to me. However! Be aware that the levels are mostly the same, and while there is a plot, most of the time you're going to run through procedurally generated levels fighting similar enemies - I'm enjoying it, but be warned that it could get tedious depending on your tolerance for the core gameplay.

I'd still rec it though, as it's fun!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Tezzeract posted:

It'd be great for these big studio games to actually be interested enough for politics and to create a view that might actually offend or connect with people on that level. But no games really do that.

Ubisoft almost did a Rainbow Six game with a mix of Occupy and the Patriot movement as the antagonists, IIRC there was a trailer shown where the player finds they've attached a bomb to a businessman and has the moral choice of either trying to disarm it or throwing the suit off a bridge (to save innocents and the bridge of course), but they chickened out and cancelled it in favor of R6 Siege.

Shareholders prefer nice, plain games that don't invite controversy, because that could hurt sales.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

currently just shy of 1k playing according to steamcharts. i think they have an actual player count in game

Mechanical mandible
Aug 4, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Each of your encounters is instanced and determined by various decks of cards (some of which you have a lot of control over, others of which you don't.) Combat is the closest thing to the perfection of Arkham Asylum I've run into and the roguelike elements are neat -- especially strategizing what goes into your various decks of cards to beat certain challenges.

I'd second this, it's a game that achieves what it set out to do masterfully. For a game that's based on picking cards, the atmosphere is brilliant.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Trick Question posted:

Geometry Wars (or 3)
Lumo

Anyone feel really strongly about one of these, one way or the other?
If you like GeoWars, 3 is drat fun. Thumper is better still though

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Mystic Stylez posted:

Any good bang for your buck recommendations? I was thinking a long-ish game in the vein of RPGs/strategy/roguelikes and about 5~10 dollars on price.

XCOM is only $7.50!

Conquest of Elysium 4 fits all of your bills. It's also the only game I've ever played where you can turn your opponent's Iron Mine into a giant Iron Golem that breathes poison gas. It rarely goes on sale - this is only the second time I've seen it do so.

DoomRL is free and an amazing game.

Invisible, Inc. is a strategy/roguelike that I've previously recommended and dirt cheap right now.

Crpyt of the Necrodancer is great.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

If you like GeoWars, 3 is drat fun. Thumper is better still though

I mean, I own and enjoy Thumper, but I'm not sure why you would directly make that comparison? They seem like drastically different games. I've never played any of the GeoWars games, how do they compare to say, nuclear throne or gungeon?

You're saying that Lumo is good, right?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Eela6 posted:

Conquest of Elysium 4 fits all of your bills. It's also the only game I've ever played where you can turn your opponent's Iron Mine into a giant Iron Golem that breathes poison gas. It rarely goes on sale - this is only the second time I've seen it do so.

Never heard of this but it sounds awesome, thanks for the heads up. Anybody else played it?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Trick Question posted:

I mean, I own and enjoy Thumper, but I'm not sure why you would directly make that comparison? They seem like drastically different games. I've never played any of the GeoWars games, how do they compare to say, nuclear throne or gungeon?

You're saying that Lumo is good, right?
I think all the Geometry Wars games have a certain amount of rhythm game hidden in them, insofar as you start to get the pulse and feel of a good run going just as much as a Guitar Hero track.

They also both rely on matching quick reflexes with aural cues and unfocusing your eyes so you can watch your ship plus the board as a whole.

Lumo was there because I lazily didn't want to phone-post dick around with editing out Lumo. I know literally nothing about it.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Hopper posted:

I have been eyeing Dying light a while ago before it came out, but I can't see or buy it in Germany. Isthereanydeal tells me the something called "Dying light The following enhanced edition" for 20€. Is that the version to buy?

And, would I be able to play it in Germany?
edit: apparently I can install it if it is the EU version

Nuramor posted:

Where are you getting that version from? I don't even see it in the store.

I have the same problem, the german store does not even list the game...
"An error was encountered while processing your request: This item is currently unavailable in your region"

So I bought my version (Dying Light: The Following Enhanced Edition PC )from cdkeys for 24 Euro, right now it is ~ 27 Euro

succ posted:

Dying Light worth it if I just plan to solo it?
Absolutely! I played 5 of my 50+ hours with my brother and this is indeed a different experience, we were screaming and laughing and crying for mommy, the nights are still pure horror but "different", as you are not "alone" and know there is someone who watches your back.

Dying Light is great for coop slaugther but we both thought the immersion is best when you play this game alone. My brother wanted to play straightforward with a minimum of sidequests while I love the exploring, gathering and just fooling around and enjoying all sidequests (some are boring, some add really nice additional mini plots and hilarious or absurd or even sad dialogues!) and I could pause the game whenever I wanted.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Never heard of this, I'll take your recommendation and buy this, thanks for the hint. :)

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 27, 2016

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Between HLD and Furi I'm really sick of 'dash toward cursor' mechanics. They're finicky and awkward, but if you don't use them because of that you basically have to take damage.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So how does Glittergrove Grove compare to gold standard fairy game on Steam, Farie Solitude?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Rirse posted:

So how does Glittergrove Grove compare to gold standard fairy game on Steam, Farie Solitude?

It's a little more complex.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Helldivers is basically Magicka in space. If you didn't like Magicka, Helldivers won't win you over.

The Evil Within is actually pretty good, though people have had differing opinions on it. Once you figure out the game flow, it's hard to put it down. There's a demo, so you can just check it out for yourself.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
I picked up Sunless Sea on a whim and holy poo poo this game is awesome. I passed on it when it released because it seemed to be getting "meh" reviews.

Any takes on the DLC?

Eela6 posted:

Invisible, Inc. is 70% off right now and one of the best-designed games I have ever played. It manages to nail 'cyberpunk espionage' better than any game i have ever played. If you like turn-based tactics, stealth games, or have just read Neuromancer, I highly recommend buying it.

Slick, stylish, fun, and highly replayable. 2015 GOTY for me.

Eela6 posted:

It's the latter, I suppose. It's great DLC, but for your first couple runs you'd probably want to have it turned off anyways so you can get to grips with the core mechanics of the game.

Give the base game a shot and see how you feel.

The DLC doesn't add anything super-critical, just additional variety and slightly lengthens the campaign.

You could certainly skip it, but it's also <2$.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Avasculous posted:

I picked up Sunless Sea on a whim and holy poo poo this game is awesome. I passed on it when it released because it seemed to be getting "meh" reviews.

It's been sitting on my list for ages because it looks interesting but I still don't really get what it is or how it plays. Tell me more.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Dying Light co-op is great because it doesn't require that much coordination or synchronization. You can play as much as you want on your own (and there are plenty of sidequests and activities to do) and then just drop into the game of whomever is earliest in the story. Things move briskly enough and the gameplay is good enough that repeating missions does not feel like that much of a chore.

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012
Anyone play Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander?

I was wondering if it was worth picking up.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Nuramor posted:

Where are you getting that version from? I don't even see it in the store.

I can't display that in steam either, I looked it up on isthereanydeal. And then I googled this see what others say about being able to install it

I'll either need to find a British goon willing to buy it for me if I send him the money via PayPal or will have to resort to buying it from cdkeys.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Mystic Stylez posted:

Never heard of this but it sounds awesome, thanks for the heads up. Anybody else played it?

I tried to sell some other person looking for a strategy game or an RPG on it over in the steam thread:

I got my money's worth out of it, and there was a reasonably active thread for a while.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Ended up with this haul from the sale (prices in EUR). Spec ops, Sleeping dogs and Braid were games that I hadn't heard of before reading this thread :tipshat:
Grim Fandango is one that I played through 2-3 times, but that was 10+ years ago... so I might enjoy it again, especially if there's some concept art to see while playing.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Bolivar posted:

Ended up with this haul from the sale (prices in EUR). Spec ops, Sleeping dogs and Braid were games that I hadn't heard of before reading this thread :tipshat:
Grim Fandango is one that I played through 2-3 times, but that was 10+ years ago... so I might enjoy it again, especially if there's some concept art to see while playing.

That's a bunch of solid games. And Grim Fandango Remastered has optional developer commentary you can turn on which is pretty cool if you've already played through the game in the past.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Kanfy posted:

And Grim Fandango Remastered has optional developer commentary you can turn on which is pretty cool if you've already played through the game in the past.

Ah man, that sounds unfortunate since I'm unlikely to play through it more than once (this time around) and I owned it before Steam was a thing. If I understood you correctly, that the game doesn't allow me to turn it on before I've completed it once with that copy (?).
At work now, might as well check when I get home...

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Dec 27, 2016

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Making choices is hard.

Shadow Warrior is most likely to get cut. Followed by Witcher 3 (despite all the praise, I find myself surprisingly apathetic towards it, in fact its only here because people gush about it so much). Honestly I've got reasons to cut them all. Maybe I should and just be fiscally responsible. :v:
I bought Shadow Warrior 2 yesterday and after two-ish hours I feel I've seen all the game has to offer. You could buy it, skip every cutscene and play for 90 minutes, then decide if you want a refund, I guess.

On another note, the Steam Bundle system really is something. I own Shadow Warrior 2013 already, so buying the SW2 + classic bundle was cheaper.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Bolivar posted:

Ah man, that sounds unfortunate since I'm unlikely to play through it more than once (this time around) and I owned it before Steam was a thing. If I understood you correctly, that the game doesn't allow me to turn it on before I've completed it once with that copy (?).
At work now, might as well check when I get home...

Nah, I meant that it's a cool feature for someone already familiar with the game. You can turn it on from the start just fine, no need to finish it first.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Mr.PayDay posted:

Dying Light is 60 % off and slipped under my Radar since ever, and how did I regret this. I started playing 2 weeks ago and I finished the main story with i would say 80 % of the sidequests.
Last week I started to play the expansion "The Following"

I really loved the first area of dying light, but the second area doesn't seem too great? Am I the only one thinking that? (the inner city built-up area). Does the entire second half of the game stay there?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So, would any UK Goon be willing to buy and send a gift copy of Dying Light: The Following - Enhanced Edition my way if I reimburse you via paypal? The game should be 16 quid.

I can't buy it in Germany and need a EU version of it to be able to install. To be on the safe side, I would prefer a UK Version to make sure I get English language in case it locks me into the language of the country it was bought in when installing in Germany.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Hopper posted:

So, would any UK Goon be willing to buy and send a gift copy of Dying Light: The Following - Enhanced Edition my way if I reimburse you via paypal? The game should be 16 quid.

I can't buy it in Germany and need a EU version of it to be able to install. To be on the safe side, I would prefer a UK Version to make sure I get English language in case it locks me into the language of the country it was bought in when installing in Germany.

I can sort that for you, I'll Pm you

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks replied already.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

A LOVELY LAD posted:

I can sort that for you, I'll Pm you

Could I bother you for this as well? I don't have Platinum though, so we'd need to communicate via Steam.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/nuramor/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

succ posted:

Dying Light worth it if I just plan to solo it?

HPanda posted:

Thanks for the offer, but I'm the flakiest of flakes when it comes to co-op. With small children, my game time is mostly limited to late at night and how much sleep disorder keeps me up. I tend to do best with random drop-in and always feel guilty for no showing or bailing randomly.

Just remember; in the beginning, if you stay in one place and get surrounded, you will die and die and die, and it will be your own fault. Spend time learning to GET AWAY as much as you do combat and you will have a much better time, it's your best bet starting out. You can outrun most/all zombies, depending on situation, cornering, etc. so make use of it. Hope you have a great time with it, I sure did. Also, check out the system for playing your story alone, but with other people dropping in to help you on missions occasionally. That means you don't have to coop everything, but only parts of your playthrough, which is perfect if you find certain missions frustrating alone.

• Locked thread