Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Let's not forget Nick Punto sliding headfirst into first base.

(GET MONEY)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

ilmucche posted:

Don't forget our time-honoured tradition of loving terrible utility players way too much. See: John McDonald, Reed Johnson, Munenori Kawasaki.

Comparing John McDonald to Kawasawki in terms of baseball ability is ridiculous. Both bats are garbage but Johnny Mac was a true elite defensive player for many years. Also he is part of one of the greatest modern baseball moments of all time.

http://bluejayhunter.com/2013/06/flashback-friday-john-mcdonalds-fathers.html

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

ilmucche posted:

Don't forget our time-honoured tradition of loving terrible utility players way too much. See: John McDonald, Reed Johnson, Munenori Kawasaki.

Like McDonald, Jack Wilson was an awesome baseball vacuum, too. And he did this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRxEKnk90So

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

We're in the home stretch of voting for the SAS MLB Hall of Fame so y'all should go vote if you haven't! Voting closes on Friday night!

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Over Christmas I got to hear a relative of mine talk about how the Cardinals need to sign Ryan Howard because he's a local boy and would bring excitement to the fans, would allow Matt Carpenter to play 3B, "he can still hit! look at his 25 HR last year," and because he's in TBSOHL. Dexter Fowler was also a stupid signing according to this dude.

Can anyone top that?

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
The Rockies just signed Alexi Amarista to a major league deal

:lol:

Edit: Apparently there were two other teams also bidding for his services; gotta lock up the guy with the sub .600 career OPS. :bravo:

ColdBlooded fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 26, 2016

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Mike_V posted:

Over Christmas I got to hear a relative of mine talk about how the Cardinals need to sign Ryan Howard because he's a local boy and would bring excitement to the fans, would allow Matt Carpenter to play 3B, "he can still hit! look at his 25 HR last year," and because he's in TBSOHL. Dexter Fowler was also a stupid signing according to this dude.

Can anyone top that?

My uncle spoke positively of Trump's incoming presidency

Yours is dumber

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

One of my relatives wouldn't shut up about how the Jays not signing Edwin is a smart move because they got a draft pick and are not stuck with a big contract. Apparently having an extra 20 mil in 2020 is the key to long term success.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Cardinals are "very much in" on Dozier. :getin:

This would be so awesome. :snoop:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Former Rangers pitcher John Barfield was shot to death after an altercation in Little Rock. :smith:

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

ColdBlooded posted:

Edit: Apparently there were two other teams also bidding for his services; gotta lock up the guy with the sub .600 career OPS. :bravo:

still better than the sack of doodie that was Rafael Ynoa

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

BWV posted:

One of my relatives wouldn't shut up about how the Jays not signing Edwin is a smart move because they got a draft pick and are not stuck with a big contract. Apparently having an extra 20 mil in 2020 is the key to long term success.

Having money leftover only helps if the front office actually wants to spend it, which, l-o-l.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

ColdBlooded posted:

Alexi Amarista manages to make Jose Altuve look big.

I still remember getting Ernesto Frieri for him. Frieri had a great first year with the Angels and then completely fell apart, doesn't look like he was in MLB last year.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Goddammit not the Cards. :smith:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

Goddammit not the Cards. :smith:

I'm ok with it, the Cards have so much bullshit in their farm system maybe it's like the pokerus and if we get it our entire system will get infected too.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

ColdBlooded posted:

I look forward to not being able to find this post when Amarista hits 30 bombs next year despite being a small child.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
He did hit a walk-off grand slam against the Astros back in 2012 which was hilarious

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

Also none of the guys the Yankees traded are prospects I'm currently hugging so I guess I like the trade?

I don't see the point at all. If they're gonna do a big blockbuster, just get Quintana...

(I realize Rutherford and Andujar are not going to get Quintana but I don't see the point of getting Cutch in the first place.)

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 27, 2016

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

BWV posted:

Sure EE is a great proven MLB hitter. But that draft pick could be anything, even another EE!

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Hopefully it's the next Mike Trout!

It'll be hard for me to cheer for Edwin now. I have a super annoying acquaintance who is an Indians fan, so while I wish him personal success I want Cleveland to crash and burn. Not to mention the name/logo issue

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Hopefully it's the next Mike Trout!

It'll be hard for me to cheer for Edwin now. I have a super annoying acquaintance who is an Indians fan, so while I wish him personal success I want Cleveland to crash and burn. Not to mention the name/logo issue

You can root for EE to hit like 50 homers and still be happy when the Indians rotation gets hurt again and the rest of the team falls back to earth.

I mean that's the Detroit Tigers entire plan for 2017.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Rand alPaul posted:

You can root for EE to hit like 50 homers and still be happy when the Indians rotation gets hurt again and the rest of the team falls back to earth.

I mean that's the Detroit Tigers entire plan for 2017.

Hopefully it's also god's plan for dexter fowler and the cardinals, except instead of just falling back to earth they lose 150 games

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

This is just the Twins trying to get more out of the Dodgers

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Unless the Cardinals are willing to offer up Reyes (which would be dumb imo) I don't see how they put together a better package than the Dodgers. Particularly if the Dodgers are willing to send De Leon.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Popete posted:

Sure EE is a great proven MLB hitter. But that draft pick could be anything, even another EE!

But an EE in his early 20s

(yes I agree the Jays are being dumb and cheap)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Unless the Cardinals are willing to offer up Reyes (which would be dumb imo) I don't see how they put together a better package than the Dodgers. Particularly if the Dodgers are willing to send De Leon.
Everything I've read suggests the Dodgers are willing to give up JDL and more, just that Minnesota also wants Alvarez/Bellinger, which is a no-go for LA.

I feel like it'll get done eventually but maybe not till mid January or so.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

ColdBlooded posted:

He's not bad as a second backup infielder who can also play the outfield considering the starting 4 infielders for the Rockies put up pretty outstanding seasons last year. If OOTP is to be believed Cristhian Adames is a pretty good defender off the bench? It's hard to judge Rockies' minor leaguers since they run through some pretty offense-friendly environments but I feel like they have a couple more young hitters on the way up who could help fill-in, too?

E: Not an Orioles fan, but they just shared this photo on Twitter and I think it's an awesome photo baseball fans should love. Are there any cool photos of Kershaw with Koufax?

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 27, 2016

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't see the point at all. If they're gonna do a big blockbuster, just get Quintana...

(I realize Rutherford and Andujar are not going to get Quintana but I don't see the point of getting Cutch in the first place.)

Am I missing something here? Cutch is 29 years old and one off year removed from four straight top 5 mvp finishes. I haven't been as plugged as I'd like to be but if the price is pretty low like it seems (even for just one year) why wouldn't we get him?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mikeraskol posted:

Am I missing something here? Cutch is 29 years old and one off year removed from four straight top 5 mvp finishes. I haven't been as plugged as I'd like to be but if the price is pretty low like it seems (even for just one year) why wouldn't we get him?

Because if he has another year like last year he doesn't give you anything that Brett Gardener doesn't, and it's probably a better idea to let Aaron Judge show what he can do.

It would be a low risk, low upside trade, but the argument is that there might be more upside to staying pat.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Because if he has another year like last year he doesn't give you anything that Brett Gardener doesn't, and it's probably a better idea to let Aaron Judge show what he can do.

It would be a low risk, low upside trade, but the argument is that there might be more upside to staying pat.

I mean isn't the yankees' depth chart at center field:

Ellsbury
Gardner
Judge
Hicks
Frazier (just putting him here since he's not in the majors, yet. I assume he's above Hicks in reality)

Left Field
Gardner
Austin
Judge
Holliday
Hicks
Frazier

Right Field
Judge
Holliday
Austin
Hicks
Frazier

They have a DH spot but it seems like that's where Holliday/Bird/Austin rotate.

So it sees like trading for Cutch would be like the Cubs trading for Brian Dozier. There just isn't a price at which it makes sense unless the price is free.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 27, 2016

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I said this before, but I'd imagine there is like a 0 percent chance that trade happens without also trading Brett gardener

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Cutch was excellent from august through the end of the season when he wasn't injured.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
His month of June is really what tanked his season (202/255/323), but he probably shouldn't play CF either. The guy can definitely still hit.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mikeraskol posted:

I don't see the OF as an area of great need, or that adding Cutch for 1/2 years puts the team in much greater contention. Also Rutherford is far away but his profile is really good.

(Yes I am pretty much saying "Why trade a CF prospect for Cutch, the prospect could be anything, even a Cutch!" but I will defend it because of the timeframe.)

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
2016 Yankees OF:

LF: 259/341/355
CF: 259/325/375
RF: 244/307/396

Have they done anything to improve that? Because that's a pretty poor offensive outfield.

Holliday will have some time in the OF, but he should be the main DH guy I'm thinking. loving Jacoby Ellsbury.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thom P. Tiers posted:

2016 Yankees OF:

LF: 259/341/355
CF: 259/325/375
RF: 244/307/396

Have they done anything to improve that? Because that's a pretty poor offensive outfield.

Holliday will have some time in the OF, but he should be the main DH guy I'm thinking. loving Jacoby Ellsbury.

The plan for better RF numbers is "Judge acclimates and mashes" and for the rest, it's gonna be same ol, same ol most likely. I guess maybe Gardner is gone and the plan for LF is "Hicks figures it out"?

Holliday shouldn't play the OF at all. There's no reason to put him out there given that they have guys like Hicks, Refsnyder and Austin (and maybe Mason Williams?) around.

I'm expecting nothing from 2017, pretty much, but even if the OF was better there's still the rotation which will likely be a way bigger issue, see this year for example.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
So basically you think you are 1-2 years away from any real contention, so why trade young guys for 1-2 years of Cutch, which makes total sense.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Thom P. Tiers posted:

So basically you think you are 1-2 years away from any real contention, so why trade young guys for 1-2 years of Cutch, which makes total sense.

Right. Their infield is kind of a mess other than Bird and Sanchez and their established returning outfield is pretty good at defense, average at baserunning/stealing and not good at hitting, depending on what Judge does.

On that note, who the hell is the 2nd wild card team in the AL because it sure as hell looks like nobody is really interested in winning it? I'm guessing Houston and Texas are favorites in the West?

tadashi fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 27, 2016

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Exactly. I think the team should be able to solidly contend for a WC spot in 2018 (if not, then there are bigger issues because it means a lot of guys aren't working out) but 2017 is pretty much going to be a shakedown run for a lot of rookies.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/bmadden1954/status/813815955960766465

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect

tadashi posted:

Their infield is kind of a mess other than Bird and Sanchez

I'm a pretty big believer in Didi Gregorius. He put up a 97 OPS+ last season, which is drat good for a shortstop and his defense is good enough that he doesn't need to keep hitting that well to be an ML-average shortstop.

• Locked thread