Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

[un]Ranked PvP ... is ... fun.

debatable

Although maybe i'm missing the key ingredient of "being good at it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah that's what I said. Good job reading!

After episode 3 people were wondering "okay well where's the balancing the force stuff?"

What I'm saying is no, they weren't.

But Lucas came out and said "err, um, ahh" and then he wiped some sweat from his forehead with a stack of 100s, and said it was when he killed the Emperor, eliminating the dark side forev- oops.

Because this was obvious from the beginning.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Alright alright, let's not get mad about star wars people

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I'll tell you what does make me mad about Star Wars; this game not having report functionality greater than "report spam". When I'm seeing threats of violence, white supremacy and people telling others to kill themselves and there doesn't seem to be any way to report this behaviour. Sort it out Bioware :smith:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Asimo posted:

It's a massive misunderstanding of the vaguely Buddhist philosophy George was pilfering from for the movies, too. Not that having the Jedi being kind of broken and dogmatic in the prequels is inherently a bad thing though.

As we actually had a portion of lecture in my cultural anthropology class cover this as an example, Lucas' concept of the Force is a direct copy of the Polynesian concept of Mana with it being everywhere in everything connecting it all. It's essentially nerd sperging in overdrive that pretty much screwed everything up after that.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I'll tell you what does make me mad about Star Wars; this game not having report functionality greater than "report spam". When I'm seeing threats of violence, white supremacy and people telling others to kill themselves and there doesn't seem to be any way to report this behaviour. Sort it out Bioware :smith:

I had the same gripe, but as Medullah explained to me, it's a proximity thing of if your toon's in the vicinity of where the toon to be reported is, you get additional report options. I agree that it's pretty bullshit to limit like that but what do you expect from Bioware thinking?

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

M_Sinistrari posted:

As we actually had a portion of lecture in my cultural anthropology class cover this as an example, Lucas' concept of the Force is a direct copy of the Polynesian concept of Mana with it being everywhere in everything connecting it all. It's essentially nerd sperging in overdrive that pretty much screwed everything up after that.

I would say this is kind of a stretch by your professor, trying to relate Star Wars to his teaching material. Mana is more a estimate of a chief's supernatural prowess as shown by his prestige, wealth, and ability to provide for his family (aiga in Samoa's case). But like everything in the Pacific, it varies based on where you are.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Hey DrunkenGarbageCan, as our resident PvP expert - what DPS specs should actually have some accuracy in PvP? Marksman Sniper is the only one I can think of that relies a lot on white damage.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the force should be its own seperate thing there shouldnt be such thing as dark force or good force just dick heads who use the force for bad things and nerds who use it for greater good

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cosmetically, I'm enjoying some of these new 5.0 abilities. The powertech death from above replacement is pretty baller (though apparently it's a nerf), and i like the on-demand aoe shotgun blast that scoundrels now have access to.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I really dig the Knight Blade Dance animation. Ravage not so much

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

Hey DrunkenGarbageCan, as our resident PvP expert - what DPS specs should actually have some accuracy in PvP? Marksman Sniper is the only one I can think of that relies a lot on white damage.

None. Since 4.0 all attacks in PvP have a base 100% Accuracy.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

None. Since 4.0 all attacks in PvP have a base 100% Accuracy.

Nice, that's kind of what I suspected. So "serious" PvE players can just have a couple accuracy implants and use a Proficiency stim to go from PvP to PvE.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

A Curvy Goonette posted:

I would say this is kind of a stretch by your professor, trying to relate Star Wars to his teaching material. Mana is more a estimate of a chief's supernatural prowess as shown by his prestige, wealth, and ability to provide for his family (aiga in Samoa's case). But like everything in the Pacific, it varies based on where you are.

We covered that too. I figure he was utilizing the Force discussion as a way to illustrate how cultural anthropological concepts can appear outside the field since this was an intro class.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

Nice, that's kind of what I suspected. So "serious" PvE players can just have a couple accuracy implants and use a Proficiency stim to go from PvP to PvE.

Thus my annoyance at GC for dropping so many Accuracy Enhancements.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Thus my annoyance at GC for dropping so many Accuracy Enhancements.

Oh you actually look at what drops if it's not a set piece? I pretty much disintegrate everything except gifts immediately.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Medullah posted:

Oh you actually look at what drops if it's not a set piece? I pretty much disintegrate everything except gifts immediately.

Debating whether it will ever be worth it to level up all my crafters/fill in the crafts I am missing when the level 28 mods/etc. are so cheap already

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

I was trying to build a legacy set for chars that didn't have set bonuses but GC is such poo poo its actually quite spectacular in it's idiocy. For example the purple 230 MH I got tonight that is a clear downgrade from the blue 230 MH I already had.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bilirubin posted:

Debating whether it will ever be worth it to level up all my crafters/fill in the crafts I am missing when the level 28 mods/etc. are so cheap already

You can get them to 40 influence just off the grade 2 mats from the fleet for just under 2 million, if I remember correctly. (much clicking needs to be done of course). I actually need to do the math here pretty soon to find out what the optimal, cheapest path to 50 is now that the purple grade 5s are dirt cheap (10k credits). My chart from KOTFE (assuming Love gifts with 30% perk)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I was trying to build a legacy set for chars that didn't have set bonuses but GC is such poo poo it's actually quite spectacular in it's idiocy. For example the purple 230 MH I got tonight that is a clear downgrade from the blue 230 MH I already had.

Yeah, I'm just as pissed as everyone about the GC crap, but as I've said before, the fact that you can make optimized 228 stuff is fantastic. I remember when the first set of Grade 9 schematics dropped and the highest you could go was grade 200 (introductory PvP set was 204). And you couldn't even make any new relics, period. Definitely better for crafters this time around.

I'm just glad I dumped my remaining WZ comms into decorations and 208 set pieces for all 14 specs prior to 5.0. Much less frustrating when I at least have *A* set bonus, even if it's a mix of 208 and 216.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Anakin "brings balance to the force" by ultimately destroying the Emperor. Star Wars is a movie for children you're reading too much into it if you think it's any deeper?

I keep seeing this 'It's for children' thing and I can't help but think that's a really weak rear end excuse to hand-wave away deeper discussion of the narrative and story beats involved in that particular piece of media.

'Things for children' (which I wouldn't count Star Wars as being*) can be deep and meaningful easily enough.

*It has all-age appeal, and really makes mad bank on toys, but it was clearly not conceived as a product 'for children'. Especially the original trilogy, clearly the new trilogy and spin-offs in the works, and Ep 2 and 3 are debatable.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 27, 2016

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

M_Sinistrari posted:

We covered that too. I figure he was utilizing the Force discussion as a way to illustrate how cultural anthropological concepts can appear outside the field since this was an intro class.

The Force is a pretty generic concept. Beyond what it may be doing in various cultures across the world (I don't feel equipped to argue whether it has Buddhism strains, let alone Polynesian), a lot of the Jedi shtick seems rooted in early 20th century vitalism and mysticism. ESP, telekinesis, telepathy, communing with the dead; a Jedi wouldn't be far removed from the parlor magicians and mediums that Houdini was debunking.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Medullah posted:

You can get them to 40 influence just off the grade 2 mats from the fleet for just under 2 million, if I remember correctly. (much clicking needs to be done of course). I actually need to do the math here pretty soon to find out what the optimal, cheapest path to 50 is now that the purple grade 5s are dirt cheap (10k credits). My chart from KOTFE (assuming Love gifts with 30% perk)

From what I remember it's considerably cheaper to go with g1/g2 gifts still, but using the g5s past 40 will help save your sanity.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Private Speech posted:

From what I remember it's considerably cheaper to go with g1/g2 gifts still, but using the g5s past 40 will help save your sanity.

That's how it USED to be, but things have changed since 5.0 with purple 5s being available for cheap instead of crystals. Just need to do the math one of these days. :D

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I don't know what people are complaining about with Galactic Command, I've already gotten 5 set pieces and I'm only GC level 38! Sure, 3 of them were wrists...but it's the thought that counts!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Medullah posted:

That's how it USED to be, but things have changed since 5.0 with purple 5s being available for cheap instead of crystals. Just need to do the math one of these days. :D

This was for 5.0! I remember reading it on Dulfy. Don't have the link around sorry.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

I don't know what people are complaining about with Galactic Command, I've already gotten 5 set pieces and I'm only GC level 38! Sure, 3 of them were wrists...but it's the thought that counts!

I just hit lvl 146 tonight on my Sorc and have gotten two...both the same slot. :suicide:

OTOH if I'm being honest rare is the WZ where my Madness Sorc doesn't top both damage and killing blows so it's not actually affecting my gameplay. I also got an Eternal Command Hypercrate and got both Peacemaker sabers so I've got that going for me which is nice.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Private Speech posted:

This was for 5.0! I remember reading it on Dulfy. Don't have the link around sorry.

Ah here we go, TorCommunity did the math for us.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I just hit lvl 146 tonight on my Sorc and have gotten two...both the same slot. :suicide:

OTOH if I'm being honest rare is the WZ where my Madness Sorc doesn't top both damage and killing blows so it's not actually affecting my gameplay. I also got an Eternal Command Hypercrate and got both Peacemaker sabers so I've got that going for me which is nice.

I haven't played my Madness Sorc(s) in PvP yet, I was nervous to see how much they got nerfed after I dominated for so long. But truth be told I'm trying to limit my altaholism so pretty much just been focusing on my Assassin and my Operative.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Oh. I did read it somewhere when people were discussing the new costs of the comp. gifts, maybe there was some dodgy math involved.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

I haven't played my Madness Sorc(s) in PvP yet, I was nervous to see how much they got nerfed after I dominated for so long. But truth be told I'm trying to limit my altaholism so pretty much just been focusing on my Assassin and my Operative.

Eh bring the player not the class...I make it work in regs. I would be a liability in Ranked though. I have an Arsenal Merc and Carnage Mara for serious times and have a Deception Sin on the way up as well.

Edit: Still the best healers though the margin isn't as wide as it was in 4.0.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Eh bring the player not the class...I make it work in regs. I would be a liability in Ranked though. I have an Arsenal Merc and Carnage Mara for serious times and have a Deception Sin on the way up as well.

I'm enjoying Deception Assassin in PvP right now. With the bugged bonus, Reaping Strik and Phantom Stride's buffs at 70 I've torn through even Sorc healers before they could bubble. Melt pretty quick if you don't kill right away though. :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Because I'm a Spreadsheet nerd at heart, and a lot of people have been asking about stats, I made an "easy to follow" sheet with all specs and what the "optimal" stats are (Based on this thread's theorycrafting). This is based on 230 level gear, which I think is where most of us are going to remain.

This is a read only copy of the sheet - download a copy yourself and input your characters on the right panel, and you'll see the variance on the bottom. The scratch stuff about Accuracy was me trying to figure out how to get as close to the 735 (110%) mark as possible (Closest without going way over that I can see is an Accuracy Earpiece, and two Accuracy augmented Implants - gives you 723)

Link to sheet here.

It's not pretty, but it's functional.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Does Ranked PvP still only consist of Arenas?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Zakmonster posted:

Does Ranked PvP still only consist of Arenas?

Yeah, queues are long enough with just two teams of 4. Though if it catches on with popularity with galactic command who knows. Arenas are really the best to truly test PvP skills anyway - everything else is playing objectives, arenas are truly the only "kill other team" type.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Medullah posted:

Yeah, queues are long enough with just two teams of 4. Though if it catches on with popularity with galactic command who knows. Arenas are really the best to truly test PvP skills anyway - everything else is playing objectives, arenas are truly the only "kill other team" type.

Its fair enough, but they tend to drag on for too long, especially if you have a tank and healer on each side at which point you might as well just stop doing anything and wait for acid.

Do Ranked Warzones not exist at all or are there just not enough people queuing ranked for them to pop?

To be perfectly fair, some Ranked Warzones go on forever, too. I watched a video of a Ranked Novare Coast (back during Hutt Cartel) and it was a stalemate for a good 20+ minutes, until 1 of the stealthers managed to capture the side node.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

100 new posts and it's all Episode 3 talk :argh:

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Zakmonster posted:

Its fair enough, but they tend to drag on for too long, especially if you have a tank and healer on each side at which point you might as well just stop doing anything and wait for acid.

Do Ranked Warzones not exist at all or are there just not enough people queuing ranked for them to pop?

To be perfectly fair, some Ranked Warzones go on forever, too. I watched a video of a Ranked Novare Coast (back during Hutt Cartel) and it was a stalemate for a good 20+ minutes, until 1 of the stealthers managed to capture the side node.

Ranked warzones were cut out when ranked arenas were introduced. They just don't work with the current populations and no cross server queues, even in their prime you tended to go up against the same teams over and over. And yeah ranked warzones almost always lasted a lot longer than ranked arenas. Civil War in particular, since if both teams guarded their side nodes well it was nearly impossible to cap center (this was helped by guarded operative healers being practically unkillable). And Voidstars almost never went past the first door, so rounds lasted the whole time there too.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Conskill posted:

The Force is a pretty generic concept. Beyond what it may be doing in various cultures across the world (I don't feel equipped to argue whether it has Buddhism strains, let alone Polynesian), a lot of the Jedi shtick seems rooted in early 20th century vitalism and mysticism. ESP, telekinesis, telepathy, communing with the dead; a Jedi wouldn't be far removed from the parlor magicians and mediums that Houdini was debunking.

Mostly from what I remember, nothing much was really ever said in the original trilogy other than the Light/Dark thing, Force ghosts can happen and the Jedi were an Order of Force users, and the Sith were just a name and had to be the baddies since Vader was one. Everything else was predominantly fantheory with the occasional Lucas saying something that might sound good when someone asked him a question he likely never gave any thought to until that moment. So, I'd say it's completely plausible for all those shtick elements to be part of it along with a few other things neither of us are thinking of at the moment. From what I've seen of how the SW mythology's developed over the decades, I can't shake the feeling all of this was never really meant to be detailed so in depth but spergy nerds being what they are, aren't happy unless everything's detailed down to things like Force use during masturbation.

I blame fanfic for the existence of that last on, and my own drat train of thought of "Really, how godawful could this be?".

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Turbl posted:

Ranked warzones were cut out when ranked arenas were introduced. They just don't work with the current populations and no cross server queues, even in their prime you tended to go up against the same teams over and over. And yeah ranked warzones almost always lasted a lot longer than ranked arenas. Civil War in particular, since if both teams guarded their side nodes well it was nearly impossible to cap center (this was helped by guarded operative healers being practically unkillable). And Voidstars almost never went past the first door, so rounds lasted the whole time there too.

That's true enough. I still prefer Warzones over Arenas, though, so I guess I'll only be doing Ranked to get the dailies done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Mostly from what I remember, nothing much was really ever said in the original trilogy other than the Light/Dark thing, Force ghosts can happen and the Jedi were an Order of Force users, and the Sith were just a name and had to be the baddies since Vader was one. Everything else was predominantly fantheory with the occasional Lucas saying something that might sound good when someone asked him a question he likely never gave any thought to until that moment. So, I'd say it's completely plausible for all those shtick elements to be part of it along with a few other things neither of us are thinking of at the moment. From what I've seen of how the SW mythology's developed over the decades, I can't shake the feeling all of this was never really meant to be detailed so in depth but spergy nerds being what they are, aren't happy unless everything's detailed down to things like Force use during masturbation.

I blame fanfic for the existence of that last on, and my own drat train of thought of "Really, how godawful could this be?".

One of the more interesting world-building bits of Rogue One is confirming that there are ordinary people who follow the Jedi way as a religion. I think that's an interesting spin on it, making the Force something well known and understood by most people but Jedi and Sith are the strange, eccentric monks and mystics and gurus who have gained supernatural powers from the Force.

• Locked thread