Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

brb, putting all my savings on hull to win the league.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Lmao

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Most competitive league in the world, anything can happen

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Xabi posted:

Wrong thread.
Yeah, some things are too bad for even this thread.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Hahaha wtf

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
This is an absolutely disgusting comment, and shows the toxic mentality that's driving me away from this sub. I've been a part of this sub for several years now, and I've had some outstanding discussions with many of you, both current and past users. It was always a good place to come for a roundup of any news and to discuss with people passionate about this sport and mostly knowledgeable about soccer as well. You don't often get that in an online community. The biggest thing that /r/soccer used to be compared to most social media & forums, was inclusive & respectful of all soccer fans - those from Europe & those from America, those who became fans in the 70s and those who became fans after the last World Cup. One of the only rules, one that everyone enforced as a community & abided by, was essentially "don't be an rear end in a top hat". Everybody respect everybody's opinion, disagree but respect. That's just no longer the case anymore. And this isn't about anyone getting the downvote brigade because they're from America. There isn't any feeling of good humored banter anymore. It's gone to a very anti-foreigner, xenophobic atmosphere, particularly towards Americans - myself included, but many others as well. Downvotes don't really matter, but the amount of "most American thing I've heard today" and the like are just beyond silly ignorance. Many of the good-natured fun people have gone, but many of you are still here, yet you do absolutely nothing to combat this, not like you used to anytime someone was being a dick for no warranted reason. Your mods may not have the role of policemen, but they are certainly guilty of standing by and enabling this behavior just like everybody else. I guess at the end of the day, this sub is a microcosm of reddit as a whole. This isn't really a message "gently caress off" to the people who are saying the anti-American bullshit, as much as it is a message to those of you who aren't to make it unwelcome, because at this point, Americans aren't welcome here. There's a mild tolerance for Americans, but as soon as opinions disagree, the anti-American ignorance flows freely and is clearly the primary point in the counter-argument of the American commentor. How did this subreddit become so exclusive, xenophobic, even apologetic for anti-Americanism & more against those offended by it, etc.? This just doesn't seem like a place for me. Downvote away. Fill the comments with more "chill out", "why are you offended by anti-Americanism?". This is purely a message to the community I used to enjoy to encourage those who feel the same way to either do something or just go somewhere else, as I'm doing. Cue the top response being "gently caress off you American oval office".

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

Cue the top response being "gently caress off you American oval office".

this is how Bob Bradley was fired

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Man there you go, Sunderland has as much chance as Chelsea - so buck up, David Moyes

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

You really need to link it so you can see the comment he's replying to.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccercirclejerk/comments/5jnewd/original_post_ii_american_here_who_has_been/

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
The Bradley apologists are emerging

quote:

To say that this team wasn’t better than before or that this firing was deserved is a load of horse poo poo.

They took a step back defensively because he made them a more offensive team. Under Guidolin - 7 games, 6 GF, 12 GA - 4 points. Under Bradley - 11 games, 15 GF, 29 GA - 8 points

They increased scoring over a 1/2 a goal a game. The problem was that their conceded goals were significantly worse (significantly amplified by 19 GA in their last 6 games).

Frankly with the Swans, they are such a patch work team that really isn’t that good. You have to pick your poison; score a lot and try to win shootouts or bunker in and hope to win games 1-0 or the like. They don’t have the personnel for either and worse once they trail, they certainly don’t have the squad for a lot of comebacks (the Palace game aside). Anyone bitching about their defense doesn’t seem to care that their backline is a mess regardless of style played.

Bradley picked the offensive style and was it really a step backwards? Their GD is on pace with Guidolin’s before him. And he was doing better in points per game. Hell, they were certainly a lot more fun to watch.

Honestly, I’m not sure it really matters who’s the manager of that team, they probably won’t avoid relegation. A managerial revolving door won’t help. And since they fired Bradley, good riddance to the Championship.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Hell,

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

stotty1982 posted:

Said it at the time and I'll say it again, they shouldn't of sacked monk.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Fun to watch? They got slaughtered in nearly every match.

And this:

quote:

They increased scoring over a 1/2 a goal a game.

:ughh:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

trem_two posted:

The Bradley apologists are emerging

lol it's a worse goals scored to goals conceded ratio

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

TheBigAristotle posted:

Fun to watch? They got slaughtered in nearly every match.

And this:

:ughh:
As a West Ham fan I thought that last game was pretty fun :)

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
i like turtles

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
As an American who has been watching the US and English leagues and national sides for about 3 decades, i offer my expert analysis of what's really happening here:
The English really don't want the US, their cultural bastard child who has somehow managed to rule the world they both helped destroy together, to be seen as their equals on the only stage they may possibly still surpass them on, the football (soccer!) pitch.
The negativity Bradley got is a symptom of this. If a us coach is given a shot and proven to be a decent fit, then why not bring the lot of them ? Heck why not a Chinese coach for Chinese owners in 2 years? Right?
Loads of US players , if they were scouted as teens, could do fine in the top European leagues in the next few years. It's when they get to 19years and no club to oversee their development that the falloff begins.

If Bradley had made it, a lot of US kids would be given a look. The US National team does not represent the best the US has, it's just a political party that favors the middle to upper class kids at all levels, and leaves you with Altidore and Bradley's son in their final lineup as a consequence when they are all shown up as subpar from a silver spoon lifestyle.

Yah that's my rant. I can't stand Bradley either, but hey at least give him the whole year to prove his incompetence with certainty. Next you'll have Bruce Arena and Alexi Lalas clamoring to work at Hull and elsewhere...

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
That's nothing. The English have mocked and looked down on the USA since 1776. Like most of Europe, they view us as a mongrel nation full of hicks and rednecks with no culture. The derision Bob got pales in comparison to what English people and Europeans in general think of the average American.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I've spent large chunks of my life in South America and in Europe. Basically all my blood relatives live in one of those two continents. I learned Spanish, French and Italian long before I knew a phrase of English. I've been among them as one of them, and let me tell you: they don't like Yanks.

They may pretend they do. But they envy the USA. Guess who they were blaming after the Charlie Hebdo shooting? Or who they blame whenever the economy tanks because some clown like Kirchner can't tell lip service from political reality?

I barely talk to my surviving relatives because of that. My parents chose to become Americans, and by golly that was a great choice. The more time I spend abroad, the more American I feel. And god's my witness I've been a "Liberal" all my life, but I can completely understand why some people lose patience with all the anti-American bullshit around.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

i hope bob bradley replaces our coach and heck, this is the right thread for this post

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Source your quotes.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AlexiLalas/status/813851564653891584

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Right thread

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

holy poo poo

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

He's not wrong. I could also manage Arsenal. Very poorly I'm sure, but there wasn't any qualifier on it.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

He's not wrong. I could also manage Arsenal. Very poorly I'm sure, but there wasn't any qualifier on it.

except the part where he says "successfully"

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I could see Bob Bradley having a good net spend, dbzibot and maybe even win a friendly tournament at arsenal.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

except the part where he says "successfully"

I don't need your advanced stats here

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I could see Bob Bradley having a good net spend, dbzibot and maybe even win a friendly tournament at arsenal.

His xG would be the talk of the league

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lalas is a brilliant troll. Back when Beckham signed in Los Angeles he said part of the reason was that the Premier League was "all style and no substance" or something like that, and holy lol people got real mad. He says all this poo poo with a half-smile on his face so it should be obvious, but people take the bait every time.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Lalas is a brilliant troll. Back when Beckham signed in Los Angeles he said part of the reason was that the Premier League was "all style and no substance" or something like that, and holy lol people got real mad. He says all this poo poo with a half-smile on his face so it should be obvious, but people take the bait every time.

It's brilliant because only half the poo poo he says is trolling, the rest is sincere, but he can get away with sincerely saying idiotic things because people assume he's trolling.

Spxtz
Oct 9, 2007
You might not have seen the current Star Wars movie. In which case I won’t ruin it by revealing any top-secret plot twists, like the imperial weapon‑shield with one small fatal flaw; the return of a bullish, roided-up Darth Vader; or the usual mawkish family stuff that can only be resolved by the violent death of a male parent.

Aside from that you’ll find all the usual things. Infomercial-level acting that doesn’t matter because there are some excellent “fffft” and “zzzzz” weapon noises going on in the background. Good bits where stormtroopers make crackly 1950s‑style small talk just before being killed. And above all the familiar organic landscape of junk, robot-men and animated machines that is the real star of these films and the most obvious reason for the films’ staggering success.

This interaction between machine world and human world is what Star Wars is really all about. Everywhere organic details intrude. The shiny new space station already has a worm in its garbage compactor. The Imperial AT-AT walkers imitate the movements of half‑speed camels and end up being capsized by a few bears with bits of string. The entire opening trilogy rests on whether Darth Vader really is more machine than man or man than machine.

The obvious comparison is with Charles Dickens, franchise juggernaut of a previous age. Dickens’ novels were also full of schmaltz and sentiment. They were also redeemed by this same astonishing imaginative landscape where buildings come alive, people turn into machines, the industrial world intrudes into the world of people, and where the real question in every story is whether the people can both survive and remain recognisably themselves.

All of which is quite a roundabout way of getting on to the glorious return of Yaya Touré.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Lol

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
We've hit peak WW

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There has to be more from this incredible talent

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
its a dianoga, not a worm.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

haha that was from a Barney Ronay column?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spxtz
Oct 9, 2007
Bingo: https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/dec/30/yaya-toure-reborn-star-manchester-city-league-title