Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah, the stack is what I would be looking at, seems like it should drive most anything?

The 6XX are a future purchase for whenever Massdrop put them up again. I have a feeling that my laptop's internals will be fine, I almost never go above 20% volume on the HD 518s.

Although I am in Christmas food fugue and have been for about 48 hours, so who knows what's even real life. Just best guesses on this one. Won't be a crisis since I can probably Prime a stack my way in 2 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Based on the head-fi post in the OP, I wishlisted the AKG K240s for purchase in the next couple of months. Are they still considered good for a <$100 open circumaural? I listen to a wide variety of stuff on my laptop, which is a pretty average ideapad, and I've been content with Skullcandy ones for years, both IEM and on the ear. I want around the ear ones now because both of the former types no longer play well with my ear piercings. I'd like something comfortable enough to wear for hours if I get really absorbed in something on Netflix, a good Let's Play, or whatever Spotify playlists want to devour my time.

They're fine, but I would take SHP's over them. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190&cm_re=shp9500-_-26-138-190-_-Product

edit: yknow what, they're not fine for your situation. they need an amp and the cups are rather small. Absolutely get the shp's instead. Maybe the Sennheiser 558 is worth looking at too, but I find them slow and sloppy in comparison. Either one will be a huge step up from your skullcandys.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 26, 2016

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

NewFatMike posted:

The 6XX are a future purchase for whenever Massdrop put them up again. I have a feeling that my laptop's internals will be fine, I almost never go above 20% volume on the HD 518s.

The 7xx you can get away with not having an amp, but the 6xx you absolutely cannot.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

They're fine, but I would take SHP's over them. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190&cm_re=shp9500-_-26-138-190-_-Product

edit: yknow what, they're not fine for your situation. they need an amp and the cups are rather small. Absolutely get the shp's instead. Maybe the Sennheiser 558 is worth looking at too, but I find them slow and sloppy in comparison. Either one will be a huge step up from your skullcandys.

Thank you!

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Talking of the SHP9500's is there any way of getting them newegg cheap in the UK?

They are out of stock at newegg UK and everyone else wants £100 for them instead of $60.

If not any other suggestions for sub £100 headphones? I listen mostly to load shouty music and computer games and have a set of superlux's.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sooo any eu goons with an O2+odac stack they like?

Mrit SA
Nov 11, 2016

by Lowtax
My wife got me a pair of Sony bluetooth headphones(MDR-ZX780DC) and I wanted to use them with my computer. Would any bluetooth receiver work or should I pay extra for aptX support?

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Budget - 200-ish USD
Source - iPhone, macbook air
Preferred Type of Headphone - on-ear

I am constantly running between meetings when I'm in the office and then when I'm on the road I fly a ton (but I don't really care about isolation). I just need something with solid bluetooth, decent battery life, and portable. Bonus if it's foldable or has a case or something so I can just toss it in my purse.

My coworker has Bose Soundlinks and they seem pretty solid but I'm looking for other suggestions just in case. I also looked at the Parrot Zik but reviews say the bluetooth is a little shaky.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I got a 598se for Christmas. Coming from an old 555 I got 7 or 8 years ago, it's a huge difference. Sounds great with a completely flat EQ (I had to boost bass a good amount on the 555s). Also the impedance must be a bit higher because I'm actually having to go past 20 or so on main volume in windows.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I have an order for some Etymotic MC5s coming soon for airplane travel. I was going to test these out before spending more money on IEMs in case I couldn't stand them.

But, I don't know what the value difference is between the MC5s, 215s, or something else. Should I just go ahead and return these unopened and step up to the next level? Or will the MC5s last me a long time and be "good enough" for air travel?

EDIT, or would it make sense to test the waters with the MC5s then move to some 315s or similar if I want to move up? I'm currently using my QC15s when I travel, so literally ANYTHING is better. I've got some Senn 580s for home use where it is nice and quiet.

FunOne fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 27, 2016

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
The MC5s will give you better isolation than the 215s. The Shures have a more bass, the MC5s are a very flat response headset. In terms of absolute audio quality it really depends on your sound signature preferences, but the MC5s are definitely capable headphones. All that said, since the MC5 has a dynamic driver it should respond better to EQing than Ety's higher end BA headsets.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

grack posted:

The MC5s will give you better isolation than the 215s. The Shures have a more bass, the MC5s are a very flat response headset. In terms of absolute audio quality it really depends on your sound signature preferences, but the MC5s are definitely capable headphones. All that said, since the MC5 has a dynamic driver it should respond better to EQing than Ety's higher end BA headsets.

Thanks. MC5s showed up, missing the full fit kit of all things. What they did have wasn't at all fitting, so sending them back. I'm going to pick up the 215s instead. I'm worried now, after trying, that the deep fit on the Etymotics isn't going to be comfortable for me.

Plus headphone.com has the isolation as pretty comparable between the EC5 and e215s.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Picked up the ATH-M50x today, holy crap these things are like the opposite of my AD-700s. You guys weren't joking about the bass. Looking forward to loading up some bro-step and cranking out some sweet JavaScript with these on when Xmas vacation is over.

Banana_Boy
Jul 14, 2003
Budget - ~$250 CAD
Source - Bluetooth from iPhone or computer
Isolation Requirements - Nice to have, not a must
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over Ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Would you prefer bass heavy headphones? Balanced to a bit heavy on the bass is fine.
Past Headphones - Mostly junk. Using a pair of Phillips SHB7000's right now. Very tight on the head, padding not amazing.
Preferred Music - I'll be using them for podcasts and heavier rock and some metalcore/hardcore type bands.

So I want to upgrade to a nice set of headphones, mostly used for my 45 minute each way work commute. Comfort is pretty important.

I've tried the Bose Soundlink in store, and comfort wise they're great. I'll be borrowing a co-workers v moda m 100's shortly as well to take them for a test drive (though they break the budget, I would be looking to get the cross fade wireless)

The new Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2's look interesting though they likely will also be a bit over budget and I can't find them I'm Canada yet.

Any suggestions on what else I should be looking at?

Banana_Boy fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 29, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Well, I'm back with the MicroX Headset, and...it seems decent. There seems to be the slightest bit of barely audible static, however, when I plug it into my Computer; and some more static when I plug in the mic. If that's normal...then is there any way of getting rid of the static?

I, uh...didn't think to mention this, but I actually have a part in an Audio Drama I'm doing. I'm hoping to not have static in there, so if that's just a part of the headset I'm using, is there any way of getting rid of it?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Fionordequester posted:

Well, I'm back with the MicroX Headset, and...it seems decent. There seems to be the slightest bit of barely audible static, however, when I plug it into my Computer; and some more static when I plug in the mic. If that's normal...then is there any way of getting rid of the static?

I, uh...didn't think to mention this, but I actually have a part in an Audio Drama I'm doing. I'm hoping to not have static in there, so if that's just a part of the headset I'm using, is there any way of getting rid of it?

Are you sure it isn't just static buildup from the pc?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Virtue posted:

Are you sure it isn't just static buildup from the pc?

I'm not sure. How would I be able to tell?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Fionordequester posted:

I'm not sure. How would I be able to tell?

Plug it into something else like a phone?

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

I've had a pair of Oppo PM3 for about a year and they have been great. I only just read that they are wired for balanced cable and that my DAP can out put via a 4 pole 2.5mm jack. Do I only need a 4-pole 2.5mm male to 4-pole 3.5mm male cable to make it all work? If so does anybody make one that doesn't cost a kajillion dollars?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Talking of the SHP9500's is there any way of getting them newegg cheap in the UK?

They are out of stock at newegg UK and everyone else wants £100 for them instead of $60.

If not any other suggestions for sub £100 headphones? I listen mostly to load shouty music and computer games and have a set of superlux's.

get some senhiesser HD280s

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

JFairfax posted:

get some senhiesser HD280s
The HD 280's were my first pair of serious headphones and I loved them, but in 2016 2017, there are better options.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fionordequester posted:

Plug it into a phone to test the headset itself, if there's no static there it's from your sound circuit's lack of isolation. Get a USB sound card and that'll fix it.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

Plug it into a phone to test the headset itself, if there's no static there it's from your sound circuit's lack of isolation. Get a USB sound card and that'll fix it.

YES! YES, YES, YES, YES, YES!! There's no static when I plug it into a phone! Awesome! Thanks, Evil Bunny!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Quick question, I picked up a set of HD 598 Cs for a reasonably nice headset mainly for gaming. But I'm finding (much like the old HD280s sets I used long ago) that they are just too tight to wear with glasses comfortably.

Thinking about returning them to Amazon and getting something else, could anyone recommend something similarly good and same price range (got on sale for 100$) that they can say does not cause discomfort when wearing glasses? My previous pair that were totally comfortable were the NVX XPT100, but the band on those broke after I dropped them on the floor. :goleft:

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Hey guys! I'm looking to get some new headphones, and I wanted some thread suggestions. I'm mainly gonna be using them for gaming/watching movies. My main focus is sound isolation. With comfort coming in second. I would also prefer them to be wireless, but it's not a deal breaker if they aren't. And inline mic would also be nice. (Could you guys recommend me some good mics if the headphones don't include them?)

Budget - 60-150 (but I'm flexible)
Source - Desktop pc with headphone jack and usb ports. They do not need to be very portable however I would prefer them to be bluetooth wireless.
Isolation Requirements - This is the big one. I want really great isolation, my pet peeve is sound leaking in.
Preferred Type of Headphone - From experience I definitely prefer Over-ear headphones to On-Ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced/Neutral
Past Headphones - For the past few years I've been using Logitech G930's they where comfortable for me, but I got tired of the fauty wireless signal getting interrupted.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Status Audio CB-1s are worth considering.

I have a pair of them on my desk next to my SHP9500s, and I think they're as good and in some ways better. They're a little bit warmer. There's a weight to guitar harmonics on the CB-1s that I enjoy. Bass is well extended and tactile, while still tight. Of course the 9500s are open and have better soundstage, and there's an airyness to the treble that the CB-1s just don't have. Detail is similar though. It's the typical open/closed tradeoff, really.

The only catch with them, and of course there's a catch, is they have a 6khz peak in treble that I find that I have to nuke in EQ. Once you do that they become portable Fidelio X2s for $80. It's like getting a Van Gogh masterpiece at a price you can actually afford, but there's a turd on it that you have to find a way to clean it off carefully.

Comfort, these are both very comfortable headphones. Both have removable cables. Both are v-moda compatible. For me it's pretty much my home and travel pair, and I'm pretty pleased with this system. I spent twice as much on my amp as I did on both my headphones combined, which is pretty funny.

Josh Lyman posted:

The HD 280's were my first pair of serious headphones and I loved them, but in 2016 2017, there are better options.

I had the HD280s as well and fully agree with this statement.

Bodyholes fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 31, 2016

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

K712 trip report: very enjoyable.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I should post up my full requirements in case there's an obvious choice in the matter:

Budget - 100-150$ USD range
Source - PC with Headphone jack.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural ideally. IEMs are a no-go.
Usage - Primarily gaming, some music. Most Importantly: Needs to be comfortable to wear with glasses for long durations.
Past Headphones - NVX XPT100, extremely comfortable, I really enjoyed these but the headband section that held the cup broke. Something with this style of cups or level of tightness would be great.
- Sennheiser HD 598 Cs, these were much too tight, became very uncomfortable with glasses after about an hour or so of use.

So I'm seeing lots of recommendations for models such as ATH-M50x, ATH-AD700X, etc, can anyone who wears glasses comment on what is/isn't comfortable?

I've also seen comments on reddit about replacement pads such as these for various models, I dunno if that'd be closer to the style i'm looking for or what but I'm not against trying something like that.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Don't judge the tightness of a pair of headphones out of the box. They need to stretch and break in. You can hasten this process by finding something a bit larger than your head,and putting them on that thing when you're not using them.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
I bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-770-M-80 cause I heard they have great sound isolation and feel comfy.

Can anyone confirm?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
The dt770 80ohm version come with the sweet velour ear pads which are super comfy. They can get pretty hot after awhile though!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I lost my headphone pouch somehow. It was for msr7's. I'd ideally want the same pouch again, but they don't seem to sell spare pouches. Does anyone have any recommendations for an alternative...Probably hard is preferable.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Dreddout posted:

I bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-770-M-80 cause I heard they have great sound isolation and feel comfy.

Can anyone confirm?

I mean, sure. You already bought them so I'm not sure what you're looking for here.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Dreddout posted:

Can anyone confirm?

I have the 32 ohms with pleather pads, and I can wear them all day. The sound is very analytic, but still with some nice bass.

Isolates as gently caress too.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I should post up my full requirements in case there's an obvious choice in the matter:

Usage - Primarily gaming, some music. Most Importantly: Needs to be comfortable to wear with glasses for long durations.
Past Headphones - NVX XPT100, extremely comfortable, I really enjoyed these but the headband section that held the cup broke. Something with this style of cups or level of tightness would be great.
- Sennheiser HD 598 Cs, these were much too tight, became very uncomfortable with glasses after about an hour or so of use.

So I'm seeing lots of recommendations for models such as ATH-M50x, ATH-AD700X, etc, can anyone who wears glasses comment on what is/isn't comfortable?

I've also seen comments on reddit about replacement pads such as these for various models, I dunno if that'd be closer to the style i'm looking for or what but I'm not against trying something like that.

I just purchased the ATH-M50x earlier this week and can confirm they aren't uncomfortable with glasses. I also own the ATH-AD700 and use them as my main gaming headphones, they are super comfortable with glasses. I think my head is on the large side of medium. If you're mainly using the cans for gaming I would probably get the AD700s, the soundstage is massive. If it's more for music I wouldn't recommend them as they're pretty anemic in the bass department. I haven't spent enough time with the M50x yet to give a recommendation, all I know so far is the bass really bumps.

I think you're likely to find that open back headphones will sit a bit looser because isolation isn't a concern the way it is with closed back, so you might even want to look at the regular HD598. That tends to be the go-to open-back headphone recommendation for gaming/general home use.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I have the older ATH-AD700, but they feel amazing and I can wear them all day without really noticing them. The cups are large enough and the headphones are loose enough that glasses cause no discomfort at all. I've never worn the NVX or the M50x though, so I can't compare them.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Josh Lyman posted:

what's better for the same money?

e/ I've had mine for a number of years now, just finished replaced the jack after snapping it in an aeroplane, also replaced the headband and one of the cups that burst.

really like them they fit perfectly now and still sound excellent.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

So I know you tried the 598C but have you tried the open back version? I wear glasses and they are my go to most comfortable headphone for home use. I also have the ad700x and find the wings don't offer enough support.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is there a well-liked quarter-inch to eighth-inch adapter that is a wire instead of a solid barrel? The barrel adapter that came with my 555s works okay but it basically doubles the length of any of the sources I use it with and it's kind of annoying. If I drag out my Sansa Clip+ it's like double the length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Lowness 72 posted:

So I know you tried the 598C but have you tried the open back version? I wear glasses and they are my go to most comfortable headphone for home use. I also have the ad700x and find the wings don't offer enough support.

I haven't, I wish there was a decent place to actually try headsets out before you buy them. :(

Thanks for all the assorted advice guys, I'm gonna think about what to do for a bit first. The 598C's have started getting painful after like, 30-60 minutes which has been rough. I'll probably try the ATH-AD700X next if I decide to return these.