Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol that neither the Jedi, who presumably control enormous sums of cash and valuables, nor the queen of a gd planet ever though to thank Anakin by spending the tiniest of pittances to rescue his mother from slavery after he single-handedly won an entire planetary conflict

For all that the Jedi live in a gigantic palace right next to the Galactic Senate and have their own starfighters, they really, really don't like attachment. It wouldn't do to have the Chosen One who they've already made a special exception for have a maternal figure in his life, that's not the Jedi way. Padme's excuse is that she didn't see Anakin for a solid decade and there was no indication anything was wrong so Republic complacency at its finest, I guess?

I'd say it's the first real sign in the prequels that the Jedi are seriously flawed as an institution if you aren't operating on prior knowledge of TPM being an elaborate ruse by Palpatine. Up until then they seem like a fairly effective peacekeeping force with a sketchy policy of only training from a very young age. Then you see that someone's come along and scrubbed Kamino from their records and nobody noticed, Yoda talks about how his foresight is being clouded by the dark side but he doesn't want to tell the Senate about it, and all of a sudden they're generals leading a slave army that came from nowhere and everybody is too relieved to question it.

Also can I just say 'Palpatine' is a loving amazing name upon further thought - like, he's the palpitating heart of darkness within the Republic (and by proxy the Empire), a natural byproduct of a corrupt system. (But he's also a shiv in the back of the Jedi.)

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Mecha Gojira posted:

Star Wars is for the Children.

Especially the cartoon arc about the Clone Troopers seriously considering fragging their Jedi commander because he keeps sending them on suicidal missions and has complete disregard for their lives.

which episode is this? I'm considering watching the whole thing too

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Anakin never forgot his mom. It's just that he was receiving terrible premonitions at the time. You can guess why he became disenchanted with Yoda's advice about the dreams he was having of Padme.

Ironically, Yoda is not wrong. People die, it's tragic, but we should accept it. But to Anakin it seems callous; he wants to save her and believes his power can do so. After seeing his mother die despite his visions, he strives to defy fate. And in trying to defy Fate/the Force, he ends up being the cause of her death.

Edit: I want to say that episode is in one of the later seasons but I could not give a number off the top of my head.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

It would have been a totally legit move to have portrayed the Jedi as that sort of passive evil or to have had Palpatine orchestrate Shmi's torture and murder, but no, just a totally random coincidence that happened because Anakin totally forgot his mom existed for like a decade.

It's not a coincidence. Anakin is literally ordered to stop thinking about his mother, as part of his training: "Jedi don't have nightmares."

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Comstar posted:

"Plinkett" just released a "review" of R1. And how the mighty have fallen. Plinkett I mean. It's a review equal to that New Yorker one that was written as a troll and to get hits to the site. It looks at one scene and misses the point, plays a laugh track over some of the legitimate jokes to complain there's a joke in a Star Wars movie (and dosn't reference Vader's line) and complains that a Star Wars movie set 2 hours before a New Hope lacks context.

I think I just figured it out. It's a review of a movie based on watching the trailers. Good grief.

RLM watched it and their consensus seemed to be "well made but completely unremarkable". Plinkett "talk" about that film is meaningless because there's nothing they have to say about Rogue 1. Same as the Plinkett stuff about TFA - unnecessary and made out of obligation.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's not a coincidence. Anakin is literally ordered to stop thinking about his mother, as part of his training: "Jedi don't have nightmares."

Yeah, but they never get to the point where any not-Sith character goes "hey this is a pretty hosed up cult"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yeah, but they never get to the point where any not-Sith character goes "hey this is a pretty hosed up cult"

Padme does. That's why she has a secret affair with Anakin, discusses his nightmares, and then assists in Shmii's rescue.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

that's probably because anyone who says whoa this is a hosed up cult that gives me immeasurable power and social standing , shortly becomes a sith or some other "bad guy"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Why would a Sith character saying it not count?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Waffles Inc. posted:

I know you've linked a YouTube video of something that could maybe, charitably be described as kinda looking like how Jar Jar walks, but what else is a stereotype about him? The way he speaks is heavily affected English because he's an alien, like boss nass or the trade federation guys, but what are some lines of dialogue of his that are bad?

Also this isn't directed at you but re: Watto I saw someone describe him as money grubbing. When is this demonstrated?

Alien birds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v2exWrsGOc

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

sassassin posted:

Why would a Sith character saying it not count?

because the sith are all cartoonishly evil baby electrocuters

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

dont even fink about it posted:

You can certainly use your imagination to fill in the gigantic gaps. That's on you and whatever later outside material written by different people that you want to confuse with an intelligible narrative, though.

Thank you for laying some clarity on. I read ungulateman's post and was going to reply in a similar manner.

Vernii posted:

How to fix the prequels

I like the cut of your jib, Vernii.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Rogue One was pretty good and I enjoyed it

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

because the sith are all cartoonishly evil baby electrocuters

The Sith we see in the films are Darth Maul, Count Dooku, Sheev Palpatine and Darth Vader, none of whom are pure, cartoonish evil (this is literally the plot of most of the OT films).

Maul's face paint suggests he should be but he's also soft-spoken and almost serene when facing Obi-Wan's fury.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Waffles Inc. posted:

Also this isn't directed at you but re: Watto I saw someone describe him as money grubbing. When is this demonstrated?

He does say "mind tricks don't work on me, only money."

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

sassassin posted:

The Sith we see in the films are Darth Maul, Count Dooku, Sheev Palpatine and Darth Vader, none of whom are pure, cartoonish evil (this is literally the plot of most of the OT films).

Maul's face paint suggests he should be but he's also soft-spoken and almost serene when facing Obi-Wan's fury.

I'll mayyyybe give you Dooku, but Anakin kills a whole encampment of Tattooinians and a roomful of scared defenseless children, Sheev repeatedly tries to assassinate padme, starts a galactic war, overthrows the government, and builds two planet-annihilating weapons, maul isn't particularly depraved but cartoonishly evil is a wholly accurate description of his appearance

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't know why the youngling deaths is such a huge thing. Oh no, wiping out the main threat to the new empire (the jedi) is going to require killing their half trained students. Of course the kids are going to have to die, otherwise they'll be coming for vengeance after a decade.

This is the same reason you kill the children when you try to end a monarchy. It's not a good thing to do but it's a necessary evil.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

You have not explained why the modality of Ahmed Best's performance and the development of Jar-Jar as a character is analogous to Cliff Edwards and the Hall Johnson Choir's Jim Crow performance. You merely continue to voice vague displeasure rather than actually clarifying why you think Ahmed Best contributes to the casual dehumanization of black folks.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

ruddiger posted:

Nice deflection.

Not that that post was a good response, but I'm not seeing the connection between being a "prequel hater" and being a racist (or at least oblivious to racial politics). Like the "make America great again" comment you made earlier didn't really make sense, but that at least seemed aimed at this discussion in particular and not just anyone who didn't like a movie you liked.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

I'll mayyyybe give you Dooku, but Anakin kills a whole encampment of Tattooinians and a roomful of scared defenseless children, Sheev repeatedly tries to assassinate padme, starts a galactic war, overthrows the government, and builds two planet-annihilating weapons, maul isn't particularly depraved but cartoonishly evil is a wholly accurate description of his appearance

They certainly do evil things but none of them are simple cartoonish evil. There is complexity to each of them and you should pay attention to the things they do and say.

Killing the sandpeople who raped and beat his mother to death was justified imo.

Killing the women and children too proves Anakin is not sexist or ageist, an important progressive message.

There is good in him.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I definitely can't tell who's serious around here anymore.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

K. Waste posted:

You have not explained why the modality of Ahmed Best's performance and the development of Jar-Jar as a character is analogous to Cliff Edwards and the Hall Johnson Choir's Jim Crow performance. You merely continue to voice vague displeasure rather than actually clarifying why you think Ahmed Best contributes to the casual dehumanization of black folks.
Its a stereotype. Look up stereotypes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raRW_zBz_sM&t=135s

temple fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 27, 2016

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Jar-Jar is not a stereotype, and you have not demonstrated that he is. You merely have continued to do what you have always done, which is to conflate superficial content of his conceptualization with the monolithic specter of stereotypes, which you yourself refuse to actually engage or deconstruct critically, in context or otherwise.

Jar-Jar is portrayed nothing like the crows in Dumbo. He is not an ornamental, hive mind musical group with a white band leader playing a 'cool'/hip dandy. He is not a rustic bumpkin who stands in for the idyllic fantasizing of the American South and midwest. The language barrier between himself and the Jedi never even approaches the self-effacing non-sense of the lyrics Edwards sings, because Best and Lucas are specifically showing that Jar-Jar is apart from the status quo of the film's setting, without him being some hyperbolic entity who signifies only apartness from the neutral order.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I only just saw Rogue One so I came here to join in a discussion about that but apparently two weeks to long enough for it to be forgotten compared to the immediate and more pressing concern of the prequel trilogy

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Deakul posted:

Carrie Fisher is dead.

this but also now actually

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This is awful.:smith:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
:rip:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
poo poo. I guess we all knew it was coming since a few days ago, but somehow I still kind of forced myself to assume she would pull through.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Oh NOW she's dead.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

forever in our hearts

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

She's gone :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jesus loving Christ I hate this lovely rear end year so much.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Fucks sake.

Fucks, fucks sake.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

This is awful.:smith:

Something awful?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

fridge corn posted:

I only just saw Rogue One so I came here to join in a discussion about that but apparently two weeks to long enough for it to be forgotten compared to the immediate and more pressing concern of the prequel trilogy

well, the problem with the disney movies is that they're profoundly uninteresting. rogue one a bit less so, thankfully, but still

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

loving 2016. :(

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What!? No, gently caress, goddammit.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

When are the people I don't like going to start dying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Was her role already filmed for episode 8?

• Locked thread