Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The game looks so good, because they're doing magic with shaders. If you zoom in on your character and look real hard you'll notice legs/hands are literally 4-6 sided, but it's not noticeable at all due to really well done lighting. Plaster a nice texture over the whole thing and boom, looks decent.

Of course, you *need* to do this when you spend your polygon budget on flower pots :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

I guess even wizards like to get shitfaced, considering the quality of the engine in 1.0's launch.

And the 20 years it took them to consider PC a viable platform :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

isk posted:

SE are nothing if not wizards at programming and graphics engines. The DX11 patch with Heavensward improved the lighting immensely, with a performance bump for cards that support it.

I love FF14 to death but this is neither a reputation SE has nor deserves :v:

They've gotten a lot better since ARR but yeah.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, SE has a shitload of very good artists, but that's a different thing.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Givin posted:

Is now a good time to pick this back up or should I wait for the expansion? I played through till 50 and quit at the first Coil of Bahamut or whatever that raid was so there is probably a ton of content I've never experienced. I had a few jobs at 50 but honestly I can't remember how to play them so I'd probably just start over.

For what it's worth I hear the expansion is going to have content specific to helping returning players. Not sure what exactly that entails.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ScrubLeague posted:

TPT is the chillest goon guild I highly recommend it.

I agree.

I should play more often and make friends.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Yeah PBC is full of curmudgeony old farts that just complain about stuff all the time.

Don't join us.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

ScrubLeague posted:

TPT is the chillest goon guild I highly recommend it.

TPT is full of good and cool people and I also recommend it. Thought it seems to be emptier than usual right now. I blame the patch cycle and also the holiday season.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Is there a reason why people generally recommend against getting this on Steam? There was some talk on Games about it a little while ago but this seemed like a better place to ask for a follow-up.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Is there a reason why people generally recommend against getting this on Steam? There was some talk on Games about it a little while ago but this seemed like a better place to ask for a follow-up.

When you buy it on steam you are locked to purchasing your Expansions on steam, that's it as far as I know?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Stormgale posted:

When you buy it on steam you are locked to purchasing your Expansions on steam, that's it as far as I know?
I think you also have to make your subscription payments through Steam, which some people seem to have a problem with, but it has always been seamless for me.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You do not have to make your payments through steam. I pay for my sub directly to SE.

Although if you wish to do so, owning a Steam copy of the game is the only way to enable that option. This was temporarily useful for me, as I had several hundred dollars of steam credit at the time.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 27, 2016

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well, SE usually runs sales at different times and sometimes better sales than the Steam version, which generally follows normal Steam sales.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Heavensward preorders were annoying on steam too. Can't remember the details, but I think it took way longer than other stores.

That said, early access and all the bonus goodies unlocked just fine.

Kobata
Oct 11, 2012

WhiteHowler posted:

I think you also have to make your subscription payments through Steam, which some people seem to have a problem with, but it has always been seamless for me.

You aren't required to, but depending on what you press it can be awkward to figure out how not to.

Basically, never, ever press a link to mog station from the Steam version's launcher. If you do, it saves a thing in a cookie somewhere that hides every non-steam option from you until you clear your session and cookies for the website.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The reason why we tell people not to get the Steam version is precisely because of the Heavensward preorders.

Preorders became available to everyone not on Steam for several months, with the prices progressively dropping over time until you could get the expansion for 35% to 40% off from some retailers.

When it did finally become available on Steam, no such discount was to be had.

Therefore, owning a Steam version of the game is of insignificant utility.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 27, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

As someone who owns a copy on steam, I recommend against it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Xarbala posted:

As someone who owns a copy on steam, I recommend against it.

I'm swimming in steambux all the time, so I find it useful to blow some oh dem bux.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
have you guys seen this interview?
http://gamerescape.com/2016/12/26/famitsu-sits-down-with-naoki-yoshida-at-jp-fan-festival-2016/

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
-snip nevermind-

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

EponymousMrYar posted:

Lorebook excerpt about The Missing Member (the bar/food place the Sirens hang out at and where you go for 50->60 CUL quests.)
Ahem.

"Most believe that the establishment earns it's name from those crew members the Sanguine Sirens have lost at sea, but there are those who believe it alludes to the captain's violent tendency to deftly "decommission" her male victims."

One pirate privateer crew does not make up the entirety of Limsa.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Tsk, RDM is a pure DPS, and there is no offhand. Gonna go start farming wolf marks, though. =P

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Clearly, we're getting another set of artefact gear. Will DRK actually get Cecil's set this time? :allears:

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Considering the collab will apparently require pvp, does anyone have tips for it? I've never really touched it before. I normally play Dragoon in pve but I have no idea how it fares in pvp.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Eopia posted:

Considering the collab will apparently require pvp, does anyone have tips for it? I've never really touched it before. I normally play Dragoon in pve but I have no idea how it fares in pvp.

I don't play drg but I do play melee in frontlines, although I haven't done so in months since I got everything. The main general tips I would give are don't forget to put your PvP abilities on your bars, somewhere they can be easily accessed. You can use all of them without having invested any experience into them. For your first upgrades I would definitely recommend the dot in purify and the 2 in fetter ward first and I imagine enliven after that but someone with more drg pvp experience should chime in. In terms of equipping, I am pretty sure the ilvl sync is 150 and neither morale nor materia melds function in frontlines or the feast. My personal set is all crit and det but I hear drg's have an important skill speed cut-off? May want to look into that.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Eopia posted:

The number one most important thing for a newbie is to stick with the crowd. Don't race off by yourself, and don't get overextended. If you're charging into the fight, make sure other people are charging with you. It's real tempting to leap into a pack of enemies, but that's a guaranteed way to get murdered before your allies can even get to you.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Reminder to never interrupt a cat couples erp session at the Marketboard outside of your house by filling their chat logs with snowball throwing emotes unless you want to get a warning 2 weeks later. :smuggo:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Dastardly posted:

Reminder to never interrupt a cat couples erp session at the Marketboard outside of your house by filling their chat logs with snowball throwing emotes unless you want to get a warning 2 weeks later. :smuggo:
Just cause they're doing ERP doesn't mean they're into snowballing.

Logicspren
Oct 21, 2010

Martman posted:

:golfclap:

Also incoming nerdrage about how RDM isn't a support DPS or some stupid Damage/Healer hybrid. Thank goodness Yoshi-P and his team have enough sense not to indulge that ongoing delusion.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Martman posted:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Logicspren posted:

Also incoming nerdrage about how RDM isn't a support DPS or some stupid Damage/Healer hybrid. Thank goodness Yoshi-P and his team have enough sense not to indulge that ongoing delusion.

I mean, if you want, I *could*. :shrug:

Here: I AM SLIGHTLY-LESS-ENTHUSED ABOUT THIS THING WHICH NOBODY EXCEPT DEV TEAM HAS SEEN AND IS PROBABLY SUBJECT TO CHANGE BETWEEN NOW AND JUNE. I WILL ONLY BE GIVING RDM A LEVEL-HEADED FAIR SHAKE AS OPPOSED TO SPERGING OUT AND CONTINUALLY SOILING MYSELF WITH GLEE.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Logicspren posted:

Technically support in as far as that is a role that exists in this game hasn't been ruled out yet. All it takes is an ongoing mana and tp regen effect.

Obviously the people wanting an ff11/eq1 style support were insane and never going to get what they wanted.

Logicspren
Oct 21, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

Obviously the people wanting an ff11/eq1 style support were insane and never going to get what they wanted.

Based on comments posted on Reddit and within this very thread, this reality was far from obvious to those people. Observers with reasonable expectations will come to your conclusion, but jobs like RDM have been idolized into a sort of Platonic ideal that can't fail, it can only be failed.

Basically, the developers will make a good RDM that hardliners hate because they already have an idea of what RDM is supposed to be, and it's not what they're going to get.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i see no real problem with giving rdm a token single-target healing cooldown and calling it "curasa" or something, like tetra on a 3m cd. it's not like the universe will end if a non-healer gets a healing action (see: clemency) and as long as it's on a fairly long cooldown the worse it'll do is make single-target healing checks like in a12s a bit easier.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i never played ffxi and play a ton of ffv, so when i think red mage, i think "spend hours grinding for !dualcast for the privilege of being way worse at everything than a real caster"

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/5kiy4z/egi_glamours/?st=IX7PVVVX&sh=32aaca17

Reddit's mad about the first round of Egi glamours. Like super mad.

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
I've a question for excal goons.. how easy is it to pug raid content? Is party finder usually active and full of good players? I'm looking to transfer to a more active server and I can't decide between excal or gilgamesh

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I see PFs looking for subs for 8 latest man savage raids fairly often and I play in eurozone. If you're USTZ, I imagine it's pretty active.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

IdealFlaws posted:

I've a question for excal goons.. how easy is it to pug raid content? Is party finder usually active and full of good players? I'm looking to transfer to a more active server and I can't decide between excal or gilgamesh

If you're talking about savage, I see savage Alexander groups pop up in the party finder on Excalibur fairly regularly. Usually 9s and 10s, can't speak to how successful they are. Ex Primal groups start up often, as well.

Definitely consider Excalibur. I'm in DGKK and it's one of the best MMO Guilds I have ever been a part of. I've also only heard similarly good things about the other two Goon guilds TPT and PBC, so you're spoiled for choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
They implied that cross realm PF would be coming in 3.5 anyway.

Come to Excalibur, there are tons of goons to chill with.

Also, finally caught up on things; RDM as a high mobility ranged/melee DPS sounds awesome. Can't wait.

• Locked thread