Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
No, as of a few patches (months) ago landing gear will flop when placed until you give some power to them even when placed on a surface. Once there's even the possibility of power they'll turn green and lock in place (or yellow for unlocked if not near a level surface).

If I remember correctly the amount of power required is negligible - an empty battery or reactor should provide enough power to lock the gear in place basically forever; hell, you might be able to do it directly from a powerless cockpit. You just have to balance the power source on the leg first.

I tend to start with a grid of unconstructed light armour to figure out where my first landing gears should go, build a minimal shell for a battery to fit into, which locks the gear, then start ripping the unwanted legs and casing off to actually design something proper. So long as you have one locked gear you're golden for pretty much any size of build.

The newbie experience of the game is pretty terrible because lots of generated documentation is for older versions of the game where poo poo be different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Just played again for the first time since like early 2014. The latest patch made poo poo look goddamn goooood.

Kinda pissed that my favorite start scenario ("Asteroids") is gone now though. It seems like the start scenarios are all "we start you with literally nothing" or "we start you with literally everything".

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Drone posted:

Just played again for the first time since like early 2014. The latest patch made poo poo look goddamn goooood.

Kinda pissed that my favorite start scenario ("Asteroids") is gone now though. It seems like the start scenarios are all "we start you with literally nothing" or "we start you with literally everything".

Yeah, they even removed the 'actually empty world' preset - this might be a bug since the 'world generator' tooltip does mention the old static asteroid maps (4-16 big asteroids plus a bunch of small ones) and those are not available. There's not even a way to actually disable procedural generation, although some kind soul on Steam made an 'actually empty world' world from an old map.

But yeah, poo poo like this is why I'm building my own scenario.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Dunno about the old fixed map with 16 asteroids but I made a completely empty map the other day. Some of the options have shuffled around but the key for random asteroids is world density. For both those types of map you pick the empty one from the list and edit the world settings to determine how many asteroids you get.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Either they've swapped things around and I can't find them in the UI or something's fucky, I could have sworn there wasn't an actual 'empty' option when I messed around with it some days back. Ah well, I'll be happy to be wrong in this case.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Holy poo poo, forget the attachment mod. you can just remove the rotor head from rotors and using the control panel spawn a small grid rotor head already attached to it!
Spotted it in this video where it talks about the old glitch that was removed where you had to push a small rotor head into place to do the same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfFJV_f0gJE

Mercutio Martino
Feb 13, 2015

Knight of the Sovereign Military Order of Sealand
Can't use merge blocks without the game crashing
:tif:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Mercutio Martino posted:

Can't use merge blocks without the game crashing
:tif:

Merge blocks have been working fine on literally every single server I've been playing on so :shrug: I know this because I almost always start in the yellow respawn ship and merging it to an asteroid to make the ship permanent is something I do within the first 5 minutes every time.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Can't you just change it's "type" from large ship to station and that makes it permanent?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Not if world settings require support, then the game has no real difference between a station or large ship. Most servers I've joined require one block of the grid to be built into a voxel.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Whatever happened with that dude who said he wanted to host a custom server? I'm getting an itch to play this again, but playing solo is laaaame.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Drake is intending to do so, and I am intending to help him get it all setup next time I am on at the same time as him due to Australian Vs EU time.

Edit: Oh god, everything looks baller now that they've remodeled everything.

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 28, 2016

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
I'm running into a new issue where block facing just randomly loving changes if I mouse away from whatever I was just working on, which is a real issue when I'm working with stuff like 2x1x1 slopes. It's like it's trying to predict what kind of facing I want the slope or whatever to be instead of just using the last orientation I set it on.

Is there a way to disable this? It's making it really annoying to build.

Edit: nvm fixed it, hitting T in game disables it. It's apparently a new feature in the beta, but I'm not a fan.

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 28, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Dicked around with a friend last night for a few hours on the Easy Earth start. Our first goal after finishing the hologram blueprint of the rover (to survey for minerals) was to build a basic ship to get into orbit. A few hours later our ugly creation was nearly complete, but for the life of me we couldn't figure out how to get the hydrogen thrusters to fire. We had a hydrogen tank installed on the ship, and all the hydro thrusters were connected to it via conveyors. Since we couldn't hook the ship up to the base's conveyor system in order to pull hydrogen directly from the base's oxygen generator, he just filled the hydrogen tank up with hydrogen bottles -- does the tank not accept bottles for some reason?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

Dicked around with a friend last night for a few hours on the Easy Earth start. Our first goal after finishing the hologram blueprint of the rover (to survey for minerals) was to build a basic ship to get into orbit. A few hours later our ugly creation was nearly complete, but for the life of me we couldn't figure out how to get the hydrogen thrusters to fire. We had a hydrogen tank installed on the ship, and all the hydro thrusters were connected to it via conveyors. Since we couldn't hook the ship up to the base's conveyor system in order to pull hydrogen directly from the base's oxygen generator, he just filled the hydrogen tank up with hydrogen bottles -- does the tank not accept bottles for some reason?

What you should do is to add an oxygen generator and fill it with ice, this will generate both oxygen and hydrogen. If you lack a container for one of the gases it will be discarded.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Oxy/hydro tanks will fill bottles, but one cannot fill a tank using bottles. And if you could, you'd need thousands. Also, it's possible to transfer hydrogen from a base tank to a ship tank via setting the ship tank to stockpile.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
So this is what happens whenever I walk near objects on the ground in multiplayer

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Mystery Prize posted:

So this is what happens whenever I walk near objects on the ground in multiplayer

Are those the trolls from frozen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mystery Prize posted:

Is your welder locked to being On?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
I get the same thing. It's super weird! Especially because you can back off a few dozen feet, and things settle right down.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is your welder locked to being On?

Nah, it has nothing to do with the welder, I just happened to have it out at the time. It happens regardless of what tool or block I have out.

It apparently only happens to people who connect to other multiplayer servers, the host doesn't see it

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Sounds like a minor multiplayer desynchronization issue. The player's machine goes 'hey there a rock over here', the server goes 'no it's actually over there' and fit some reason the client fails to update it properly. The affected objects usually end up vibrating in place of flickering between two positions. I've seen it happen primarily with landing gear locked ships but this is the first time I've seen it with rocks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The final patch for the year... is bugfixes!

quote:

Summary
Hello, Engineers! Our programmers kept droning over the holidays so we can have fresh update full of bugfixes and improvements for you.
Over the last week, the team has been chasing down more bugs. One of which is the mysterious black screen issue which is due to scaling on Windows 10. It’s not limited to Space Engineers either and appears to be happening with other Steam games. We have posted a workaround for it on our forums and hope that it will properly resolved soon.
There were also some significant crashes fixed. The bug reports that you’ve been sending in have helped us massively so please continue doing this whenever you come across issues. It really does speed up the process of bug fixing. You can click the button in the main menu which will take you directly to the bug report forums. Alternatively, you can type: https://www.praiseclang.com into the internet browser of your choice. In the new year we plan to address the overall survival gameplay experience and the HUD among other things.

Happy New Year from everyone in the Space Engineers Team and have fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YCk3C8E3-M

Fixes
- If you are experiencing black screen issues, please check this guide: http://forum.keenswh.com/threads/anyone-with-black-screen-update-look-here.7391186/
- added ShipController Movement Indicators to PB API
- fixed crash with Planet.Init
- fixed issue with invisible grids
- fixed crashed when grinding down merge block
- fixed issue with ships ignoring collision when using a connector
- fixed issue with solar panel textures
- fixed issue with landing gears on dedicated servers not welding for clients
- fixed issue and crashes with custom date from mods causing issues.
- fixed issue where wheels would clang when placed close to each other
- fixed issue where you were able to save campaign at any point
- fixed issue when using merge blocks

I am nothing but amused that they not only claimed https://www.praiseclang.com as a website, but that it forwards to the bugfix forum :allears:.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Drone posted:

I had the same issue earlier with a full hydrogen tank. Destroy your landing gear and the thrusters will activate.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
I have a similar issue; I built a ship in creative with hydrogen thrusters that works 100%, loaded it in survival and the thrusters immediately refused to work, except the reverse thrusters (C) for some reason? Ship is powered, has oxygen generators with ice in them and a hydrogen tank with 50% fuel with all of the conveyors set up correctly. All of the thrusters have the pilot light on which means they're receiving fuel, but WASD and spacebar just don't work period.

Ship has no landing gear, so I can't just remove that. I tried turning the thrusters on and off too, that didn't work either.

Edit: it gets even better! I loaded the ship back in creative, flew it up about 200m above the ground, got out of the ship, saved and quit. Loaded it up in survival, it's sitting there hovering with the thrusters on, slowly using hydrogen to maintain altitude. I get in the flight seat without pressing any other buttons, and all of the thrusters immediately go idle and I drop like a rock to the ground. :iiam:

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 30, 2016

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I have the lastest drivers for my graphics card but every time I try to launch it tells me that it's unable to initialize my graphics card

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I have the lastest drivers for my graphics card but every time I try to launch it tells me that it's unable to initialize my graphics card

Give it another try, looks like a hotfix droped an hour or so ago. You never know :shrug:.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The final patch for the year... is bugfixes!

I am nothing but amused that they not only claimed https://www.praiseclang.com as a website, but that it forwards to the bugfix forum :allears:.

An error occurred during a connection to https://www.praiseclang.com. Peer reports it experienced an internal error. Error code: SSL_ERROR_INTERNAL_ERROR_ALERT

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Give it another try, looks like a hotfix droped an hour or so ago. You never know :shrug:.

No dice

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Spookydonut posted:

An error occurred during a connection to https://www.praiseclang.com. Peer reports it experienced an internal error. Error code: SSL_ERROR_INTERNAL_ERROR_ALERT

I get that too. Try doing just http

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Hey Neddy! Have a question!

So in my current survival game I'm playing I've established a base on the ice moon of Europa. I spend my time either launching ship killer missiles or sending out attack drones / fighters to cripple cargo ships / warships that pass by in close proximity to the planet. I then board them, take control, and usually have them plummet into orbit where I then go and salvage their wrecks for parts so that I might soon launch myself into the void and establish a starbase. :)

Ok so enough backstory. I decided I needed a grinding ship to more quickly and efficiently salvage the wrecks and so I loaded up your Tarantula Multipod and built it from a projector. Only thing is the ship seems unable to project its various tool arms so that I can add the grinder attachments. Any idea what I did wrong or how to fix this?

Went into creative mode and pasted it and it worked fine there. :confused:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lilspooky posted:

Hey Neddy! Have a question!

Ok so enough backstory. I decided I needed a grinding ship to more quickly and efficiently salvage the wrecks and so I loaded up your Tarantula Multipod and built it from a projector. Only thing is the ship seems unable to project its various tool arms so that I can add the grinder attachments. Any idea what I did wrong or how to fix this?

Went into creative mode and pasted it and it worked fine there. :confused:

That's... weird. Were the projectors in the constructed version blank, maybe? (They'll have their placement sliders greyed out) They shouldn't be, but it's all I can think of. Maybe try setting the merge blocks to Share With All and running a welder against them anyway, they might've just been showing what's buildable.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Hmm that I'm not sure of. When I hop on tomorrow I'll give it a shot and see if that fixes it. Not sure if the bars were grayed out. I'll let you know.
Otherwise I guess I gotta go into creative and blueprint all arm attachments or something I guess.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Can't wait for the small ship landing gears to be fixed.

Pretty lovely to be hunting down a floating piece that I really, really need, find out that the gears attached to my drone don't work, and have to jump out a very large, slow ship to retrieve something that a drone could carry.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Nullkigan posted:

No, as of a few patches (months) ago landing gear will flop when placed until you give some power to them even when placed on a surface. Once there's even the possibility of power they'll turn green and lock in place (or yellow for unlocked if not near a level surface).

If I remember correctly the amount of power required is negligible - an empty battery or reactor should provide enough power to lock the gear in place basically forever; hell, you might be able to do it directly from a powerless cockpit. You just have to balance the power source on the leg first.

I tend to start with a grid of unconstructed light armour to figure out where my first landing gears should go, build a minimal shell for a battery to fit into, which locks the gear, then start ripping the unwanted legs and casing off to actually design something proper. So long as you have one locked gear you're golden for pretty much any size of build.

The newbie experience of the game is pretty terrible because lots of generated documentation is for older versions of the game where poo poo be different.

So I've been trying this and several other things and I cannot get small landing gear to lock when building new crafts. I've been building a platform, then putting a small gear on it, then a small battery on top of that then even a control panel to give the gear the locking command and it still won't lock. Anyone have any ideas?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Overwined posted:

So I've been trying this and several other things and I cannot get small landing gear to lock when building new crafts. I've been building a platform, then putting a small gear on it, then a small battery on top of that then even a control panel to give the gear the locking command and it still won't lock. Anyone have any ideas?

Yeah, PSA: small landing gear are currently bugged and do not lock to anything. Use an upside down large ship landing gear with a button panel nearby and manually lock it to the small ship you're building.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
There is also a neat mod solution. Small Block Static Grid "allows small grid blocks to be placed partially embedded into voxel materials, i.e. planets and asteroids. " Doesn't help for building on platforms, but it's a neat idea. I could see building other things with it aside from just starting small ships.

One thing I considered lately was building a rotor on a station, removing the large head and putting on a small one and building a stem from that to start new ships.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Thanks to both of you. Good info. Last time I played SE was back way before planets were in and I'm having a lot of fun. Of course I almost smashed my computer when I kept getting killed by dogs, but they I turned them off. Seriously though, what the gently caress is up with those dogs/wolves? What a terrible idea terribly executed.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Overwined posted:

Thanks to both of you. Good info. Last time I played SE was back way before planets were in and I'm having a lot of fun. Of course I almost smashed my computer when I kept getting killed by dogs, but they I turned them off. Seriously though, what the gently caress is up with those dogs/wolves? What a terrible idea terribly executed.
The spiders, too. Lots of tension and excitement when you first land the lander and are in the process of scrapping it to build your first ramshackle base; a mindless drain on Magnesium once you have a single turret mounted underneath your main platform.

I feel the same way about the stupid Meteor Showers, though. They happen way too often and leave ugly pock-marks in the terrain around your base... then you fly 200 meters away and the landscape is pristine. :\ Blah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So one thing I've been building is what I can't help but describe as the proverbial HALO Pelican. Basically the bigass workhorse/dropship/carryall.

It's called the Cassowary. It's packing a pair of missile turrets (because gently caress you, this poo poo it's hauling is mine) along with a proverbial shitload of 5.56mm Sentry Turrets to swat incoming missiles/cannon shells/harsh words/Wolves/SPIDERSFUCKFUCKSPIDERS. There's also a Large Shield Generator onboard to make it a tad less squishy. You may notice the Connector under the cockpit, we'll come back to that one in a little bit...

Its main use is to haul various pods vial a twin set of rear Connectors. General stuff like Cargo and Hydrogen Pods, along with my Mining Spikes. The buttons on the sides of the pods are easy-access manual release/connect controls for the Merge Blocks and connectors. The yellow button turns off the pod's thrusters, mostly so they don't burn into anything they shouldn't in close proximity. I actually bothered to test the Cassowary's lifting capabilities, and it managed a good 600,000-odd kg from ground to orbit.

The Mining Spike is a very basic automatic miner that you can make quite easily with vanilla parts for yourselves if you like; How it works is you set your drone facing an asteroid, and start a Timer that turns on a couple of very weak thrusters (just like 5-10n, enough to nudge it forward constantly VERY slowly), along with your Drill(s). Set a sensor to activate a second Timer to turn everything off when it DOESN'T sense an asteroid in front of it (ie; it's bored clean through). Toss in some Ejectors and Sorters to clear stones out, it'll go right through the asteroid and then stop on its own so it doesn't keep flying off drilling its way through space. Drop a few into an asteroid, go do something that isn't sitting around waiting for ore to be extracted, come back and collect them later.

Where was I? Right, Pods.

A couple of MagLocks enable it to be the typical Skycrane as well. Gotta pick up your drat cars somehow off the ground after dropping them from orbit, after all :v:.

A 14-seat pressurized cabin, with storage for tools or weapons and ammo. Would You Like To Know More?

And finally the Battle Pod. 300mm Cannons galore, for bombarding anything that isn't yours, and quite probably killing small capital ships as well :orks101:. It also adds a pair of extra Shield Generators.

Now, the Jaw Pods are a bit of everything. The far left and right ones are obvious (pew-pew, boom-boom, evil laughter, etc), aside from the fact they also have reloadable rocket launchers in them as well to give the pilot something bigger to shoot with too. The inner two are a forward mount for more cargo pods, and the other is a set of four Large Shield Generators to up its defenses and look like a bigass Bull-Bar to ram poo poo with.

• Locked thread