Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I was fine with it. Actually more low-key than I expected (despite the Gold music hysterics which I've become immune to), and more adult than Moffat's usual fare. Except maybe the squishy toy torture, I haven't quite processed that part except once again Moffat has made a female character both smart and driven and still unlikeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I liked it quite a bit. Though really, Grant clearly grew up on the John Byrne, post-Crisis Superman, with the assertive go-getter version of Clark, but acted like a pre-Crisis/Chris Reeve nerdy Clark. Though I'm probably reading too much into the choice of Superman books beyond "they were laying around and we go them cheap".

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Mind Loving Owl posted:

And why did Grant act like the a version of Silver Age Superman that only really existed in the minds of hacky parodists? Kid grew up on 90s comics. If anything, he should be acting the part of a grim and gritty antihero!
Kid Grant could've been in the '00s or even now, and the adulthood scenes just take place in a near-future where NYC still hasn't bought new policecars and ambulances.

Or conversely Kid Grant could've been in the '80s.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ewe2 posted:

I was fine with it. Actually more low-key than I expected (despite the Gold music hysterics which I've become immune to), and more adult than Moffat's usual fare. Except maybe the squishy toy torture, I haven't quite processed that part except once again Moffat has made a female character both smart and driven and still unlikeable.

I didnt particularly like the episode, but honestly if you didnt like the character in this instance I think thats more on you than it is on moffat, she was perfectly fine.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

I actually fell asleep during that special, though mainly due to it being 10 and having been at Xmas stuff all day. I'll be watching it proper tonight, but I did re-watch Power (IN GLORIOUS COLOR) and that was awesome to see again.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I liked that they didn't turn the third act into an episode of Threes Company with Not Superman having to run between baby and date.

I liked Not Lois Lane.

I liked that the German brain guy alien looks like one of my bosses, who is not German but might be an evil brain guy alien.

I dislike that John Byrne now exists in the Doctor Who universe, because it's bad enough we have him.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
I'll be really disappointed if that torture doll won't be instrumental in mocking/defeating the main villain of the season.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
It was OK.
Glad it wasn't actually set at Christmas.
Lucas was good, looks like hes around next year too.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Josh Lyman posted:

That felt like an RTD episode

I disagree but then again, I'm more a fan of the RTD era than the last few years.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Matt Lucas was indeed one of the story's saving graces, which is lucky, since the whole little boy's room sequence primed me for pain. And why did Grant act like the a version of Silver Age Superman that only really existed in the minds of hacky parodists? Kid grew up on 90s comics. If anything, he should be acting the part of a grim and gritty antihero!

Given Grant's about 8 in the flashback and his wall is literally papered with comics, I figured he'd inherited his collection from his dad/uncle/older sibling. Why waste ridiculous amounts of cash on something that could be a passing phase?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

In the interests of being positive.... I really liked the Doctor figuring out that Clark Kent was Superman.

Other than that.... well, the trailers reflected the tone and quality of the episode pretty well I guess. It wasn't as bad as The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe at least :shrug:

The trailer for Season 10 looked good! I hope you all had a Merry Christmas :)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

TL posted:

I liked it quite a bit. Though really, Grant clearly grew up on the John Byrne, post-Crisis Superman, with the assertive go-getter version of Clark, but acted like a pre-Crisis/Chris Reeve nerdy Clark. Though I'm probably reading too much into the choice of Superman books beyond "they were laying around and we go them cheap".

Can't pattern yourself entirely on an image. Grant's clearly still a total loving dork even as the Ghost, he's just constantly trying to put up a facade, which I thought was a cute and kind of original way of handling the seret identity thing. All the classic superheroes are confident and good at maintaining thatmask, even if it leads to bias in who they save, but Grant's clearly awful at it.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
It was Silver Age as hell, I laughed, and nothing bothered or offended me. It was the appetizer for a full course of Doctor Who in 2017. Would recommend.

The only thing that even slightly irked me was "man, Moffat had to bring up River ONE more time, didn't he?"

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Watched it with my Dad after dinner. We enjoyed it but then we generally do. My wife is a Capaldi fan and dislikes Doctor Who but she enjoyed it too.

In another family tradition it took 90 minutes to watch because my mother talked over every other scene so we had to rewind it over and over again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was loving dreadful.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
It was cheesy, dorky fun. I never enjoy the Christmas specials as much as the main series, but I liked it :shobon:

I laughed at the Pokemon distraction technique.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

That was very competent, and also kind of boring. Grant should probably continue doing what he's doing, though, because the doctor doesn't actually save random people from burning buildings.

CobiWann posted:

It was Silver Age as hell, I laughed, and nothing bothered or offended me. It was the appetizer for a full course of Doctor Who in 2017. Would recommend.

The only thing that even slightly irked me was "man, Moffat had to bring up River ONE more time, didn't he?"

I love the little self unaware summary: "And then she died a long time ago in a library." What a way to go.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Murray Gold scoring the thing like it was a Tom and Jerry cartoon didn't help it one bit. An entirely average episode.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

The_Doctor posted:

Oh right, new Who has started.

Totally New York you guys.

Bulgaria, as the Guardian and I assume other sites have pointed out. If you remember the whole "Doctor Who is coming to Canada" thing in the summer, that was because Canada was very, very briefly muted in the office as an option for Cheap New York before Bulgaria was chosen (because it has an NY-esque backlot with appropriate action vehicles). I think Peter casually mentioned to a fan during loc filming that we were going to Canada and it went all over the internet.

Of course people on the internet bitterly complained that MOFFAT HAD LIED TO THEIR FACES about Canada, instead of it being an honest mistake.

Fans of things, eh?

echoplex fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Dec 27, 2016

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Anyway, I don't do superheroes (who actually goes and sees Marvel movies?*) but I was able to work in a couple of micro-homages from the ultimate NY film into the ep.

*apparently literally everyone else

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

echoplex posted:

Anyway, I don't do superheroes (who actually goes and sees Marvel movies?*) but I was able to work in a couple of micro-homages from the ultimate NY film into the ep.

I'm gonna throw up.

Nice though! :golfclap:

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Micro is right. I don't think I'd have ever picked up on that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Wait, does that mean Grant grew up in an Ivo Shandor building? :ohdear:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That was cute and fun. I liked the "i prefer you in your superhero" costume bit and the timing on the joke where he takes his mask off then puts it back on as she's talking about how he's never lied was great. I didn't like how it gets all sad about River at the end, but at least it didn't devote the entire last act to her like last year.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

echoplex posted:

*apparently literally everyone else

That is a thing of beauty :allears:. Quick question about one of the sets; Was it me, or were the alien ship corridors the TARDIS's from Journey to the Center of the TARDIS?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Ofaloaf posted:

There was a moment after he caught the spaceship that I thought he was about to dramatically start losing his powers while trying to safely dispose of the ship, because he fumbled and twitched a bit and I thought that was going to lead into the Doctor going "he had to lose them now?" thing.
Yeah, I was expecting him to... absorb the alien explosion or something, and that would consume all the powers of the magic gem leaving him just a normal human again. Weird that he just decides to hang the cape up instead. Maybe the idea was that he was so absorbed in the silly superhero stuff that he wasn't paying any attention to his hosed up love situation?

cargohills posted:

I enjoyed that. I take it the brain things will be back next series given the ending.

I think that was just leaving the door open for them to come back some time without it being RTD-esque "uhh these ones are the very definitely final ones ever though"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

2house2fly posted:

I think that was just leaving the door open for them to come back some time without it being RTD-esque "uhh these ones are the very definitely final ones ever though"

To be fair, that was really more to give flavour to the Time War when it was this big unknown thing than anything else.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I really loved this special, I rank it just behind the Santa one with Shona and just ahead or tied with the A Christmas Carol one.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

So how dogshit was the Christmas special? As unwatchable as last years? As unwatchable as that Narnia one from a few years back? Or good like The Christmas Invasion?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I didn't watch it (I had more important posts in this thread to make :v: ) but "meh" is the average response (median, mean and mode)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

A mediocre Christmas special? So it's one of the best ever Christmas specials? I will give it a watch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

marktheando posted:

A mediocre Christmas special? So it's one of the best ever Christmas specials? I will give it a watch.

I wouldn't even call it a Christmas special. There's nothing Christmas-related to the plot beyond maybe the first five minutes of the special.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

marktheando posted:

So how dogshit was the Christmas special? As unwatchable as last years? As unwatchable as that Narnia one from a few years back? Or good like The Christmas Invasion?

From having just seen it and liked it, and setting responses in this thread ranging from "loved it" to "utter horseshit", I'm going to say it'll depend entirely upon your tastes.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wouldn't even call it a Christmas special. There's nothing Christmas-related to the plot beyond maybe the first five minutes of the special.

That's pretty par for the course, RTD's specials were pretty much "there's an alien, oh and it's Christmas". I don't remember any before Moffat that were explicitly Christmas themed.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Having now watched it fully, this is true. There's a little bit at the start and that's it, glossed over. I thought it was watchable, I enjoyed The Ghost but it wasn't anything awesome or anything.
Enjoyable watch but that's about it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It was a perfectly acceptable episode, but it's not going to get onto anyone's lists of great episodes. Not every episode is going to be Heaven Sent. I know that's an apology for sometimes shoddy writing, but it's also the truth. On a forced distribition across a completely randomly arbitrarily assembled scale of The Twin Dilemma (Or The Zygon whatever) to Heaven Sent, this episode is probably higher than median, but not much.

The high point was Capaldi. He had a number of pretty good lines and he delivered them well.

It's ok - I'm an intruder too. Yeah I brought snacks - mark of a pro.
How come our side never gets plans like that?

And Matt Lucas was good, too. He brings something a bit different to the role of companion. I like when poo poo isn't the same old poo poo as always, and "super sexy cool companion" is played out for the time being. Bring on the rogues with inscruitable plans and madcap shenanigans.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
The worst part of the episode was watching the next season preview and noticing just how little Matt Lucas was in it. I think he might only be in a couple of the early episodes and then bow out again. This is a shame, as I think he was great this episode and will make a wonderful companion.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I enjoy any episode where Capaldi gets to channel Tom for a bit. His lines at the start when he'd just swung through the window were a pretty good example, I thought.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Plavski posted:

The worst part of the episode was watching the next season preview and noticing just how little Matt Lucas was in it. I think he might only be in a couple of the early episodes and then bow out again. This is a shame, as I think he was great this episode and will make a wonderful companion.

Lucas was the part I was most expecting to dislike in this episode (because even though I like Matt Lucas, his character was really annoying last year) but he ended up being one of the highlights for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Ultimately where "The Return of Doctor Mysterio" fails for me is that it does a superhero meets the Doctor story without letting the superhero and the Doctor interact in any meaningful way. Then it doesn't have anything interesting to say about superheroes at all besides "hey, remember how Clark Kent and Superman had this kinda screwed up relationship with Lois Lane? That was kinda screwed up, wasn't it?"

So what you end up with is an uninteresting superhero story half the time and a too abbreviated Doctor Who story for the rest of it.

I didn't hate it...there were a few scenes that worked (like the "interrogation" scene) and some of Moffat's trademark clever writing...but having seen it I'm not going to go out of my way to see it again. It certainly wasn't as good as "A Christmas Carol" which is my favorite Who X-mas special by a wide margin.

• Locked thread